Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

Old 11-08-2017   #41
Jack Conrad

Somewhere they mentioned that many schools won't allow used equipment to be budgeted or purchased, which might offer a potential untapped market for this rather flexible new product. More economical and less risky for the students too.

Old 11-08-2017   #42
aizan

why? i'm excited that somebody is trying to start a new camera company, but i don't get why they'd make a camera like this. except for the interchangeable back, it's just weird.

Old 11-08-2017   #43
littleearth

I would much prefer a reliable 6x6 with Kiev/Pentacon Six mount. That would make sense to me !
Plenty of cheap and reliable 35mm SLR's out there !

Old 11-08-2017   #44
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

The is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
Sorry to be a curmudgeon here but one could save money by just buying the older body and lenses you want. You can get a lot of very high quality SLRs with lenses for very little money. If you chose to go Pentax or Nikon, you can buy the whole system. For example, with some shopping around, you could buy all the pro level Nikon bodies and say, one 50mm lens, and use that lens on them all. Same goes for Pentax from the screwmounts through all of the K mounts. Just stick that little adapter on the lens and you're good to go.

Like John said way earlier though, this is the forte of the short-registration EOS mount.

Phil Forrest

Old 11-08-2017   #45
Axel100

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleearth View Post
I would much prefer a reliable 6x6 with Kiev/Pentacon Six mount. That would make sense to me...
They are available.
From Araxfoto.

Old 11-08-2017   #46
Pioneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleearth View Post
I would much prefer a reliable 6x6 with Kiev/Pentacon Six mount. That would make sense to me !
Plenty of cheap and reliable 35mm SLR's out there !
My Kiev/Arax 60 has been plenty reliable. A bit clunky, but reliable.

Of course they aren't actually building them anymore but there are still new ones out there.

It is almost as good as a fast horse!
Dan

Old 11-08-2017   #47
santino
eXpect me

Isn't every new film camera a Solution to a Problem that doesn't exist?
It is a niche product in an even smaller niche... it does have to be creative and unique.. as some of you have already mentioned, there are a lot of superb cameras on the used market.

Old 11-08-2017   #48
jsrockit

Wow, expected a little more support than this here... if Leica made yet another M with nothing new to offer expect paint or leather, people would be excited. Some company tries to make their dream camera and they are panned.

The Reflex concept is great for photography!
Old 11-08-2017   #49
alexwbacon

The Reflex concept is great for photography!

I'm disappointed with all of the negative comments I'm reading here. Talk about curmudgeonly!

The concept is really quite great, and whether or not you like the actual design of the camera is beside the point. The Reflex I, if it succeeds in reaching it's goal, is a NEW film camera coming to market! This is incredible news. Purchasing second/third/fourth hand takes knowledge and time, and not everyone is willing to spend their free time researching OLD film cameras. Again, this is a NEW camera, and the photography world needs new blood to grow. If the Reflex succeeds hopefully there will be other, even better concepts to follow.

Even though I don't use SLR's I'll back this project because I want film photography to live and be thriving after I'm gone. Film photography should be just as accessible now as it was when I was buying my first camera. Hell, it should be just as accessible as buying a digital camera! If my daughter wants to get into film photography I really don't want her to have to search the worlds 2nd hand markets to buy a 80+ year-old camera with no guarantee it even works. Because if that's where things are going then we are definitely the last generation of film photographers, and that would be a shame.

Old 11-08-2017   #50
ptpdprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwbacon View Post
...whether or not you like the actual design of the camera is beside the point...
The world does not need a new poorly designed film camera.

Old 11-08-2017   #51
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

I hope they succeed but with Cosina pulling out of film camera manufacturing and the world wide glut of used cameras of all varieties it's a brave move.

Old 11-08-2017   #52
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpdprinter View Post
The world does not need a new poorly designed film camera.
I guess you've actually used it? Tell us more...

Old 11-08-2017   #53
ptpdprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
I guess you've actually used it? Tell us more...
Stop down metering and exposure. You have to press the "inverted" depth of field preview lever to open the lens to focus. This is the stuff of the 1950s. Almost any film camera from the 1960s onward would be easier to use.

Old 11-08-2017   #54
jsrockit

Quote:
Stop down metering and exposure. You have to press the "inverted" depth of field preview lever to open the lens to focus. This is the stuff of the 1950s. Almost any film camera from the 1960s onward would be easier to use.
Yet, people use many cameras daily that aren't easy to use... especially on a site like this.

Old 11-08-2017   #55
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I hope they succeed but with Cosina pulling out of film camera manufacturing and the world wide glut of used cameras of all varieties it's a brave move.
There isn't a glut of new film cameras available.

Currently I count 4. Nikon F6, and Leica M7/A/P.
The cheapest of those is $2200.

Not everyone wants to buy a used camera. Or used car. Or used trousers.
You get my drift..

Currently the kickstarter is at $113,000 of $132,000 with 28 days to go.

There is a demand.

Old 11-09-2017   #56
Michael Markey

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamish_gill View Post
And regardless of the specifics, what’s important is that campaigns like this help to prove the demand

How so ?
Even if it did how do you expect that to translate ?

A larger film user base maybe .... I would be surprised.
I`ve been using film for over fifty years ....still do ....but I don`t see many of the current film community (as we apparently must refer to it) as showing any long term commitment.

I see a lot of trying to be different and fashionable posturing but little else that you would call sustainable over the medium to long term.

Clearly you are more optimistic .

Old 11-09-2017   #57
aizan

after calming down about the seemingly wasted opportunity and getting over the fact that they didn't design this camera with me in mind (all i want is a new nikon f...with the ability to use ixmoo-like cassettes), i thought about the camera's features and concluded that it's not a ripoff at $458 and not a sign of the apocalypse. it's really some people figuring out what kind of slr young film photographers would like, unfortunately a younger demographic than mine.

Old 11-09-2017   #58
jarski

interesting, am curious. as pointed out, changeable mount add potential light leak source, so hope its carefully designed. changeable film back is nice, although not deal breaker personally. but main thing is brand new camera, without issues that decades old ones often have. I never bought any kickstarter/lomography/impossible products so don't know what quality those have.

Old 11-09-2017   #59
Spanik

Thought a bit about it and I find so many things wrong with it. I get the ideas behind the changable back and lens mount. But for me this fails with the battery and a freaking arduino in a film camera. If there is something that I appreciate about film cameras it is that I don't need to charge them and if there is a battery in them it is enough to change it once a year.

Old 11-09-2017   #60
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanik View Post
But for me this fails with the battery and a freaking arduino in a film camera. If there is something that I appreciate about film cameras it is that I don't need to charge them and if there is a battery in them it is enough to change it once a year.
If I'm going to be critical...this is it for me too. Seems like overkill, but then again... most people are used to charging things these days. I still think it is a cool project and even if I'm not going to buy it... I'm not going to be so cranky as to say it makes no sense.

By the way...

£99,222
pledged of £100,000 goal

Old 11-09-2017   #61
Axel100

So I do.

I think it is not possible to realise a pure mechanically camera with this budget.
And the aim of the project needs electronic anyway.

Old 11-09-2017   #62
Peter Wijninga

The project has reached its GBP 100,000 target.

Old 11-09-2017   #63
Huss

Quote:
And regardless of the specifics, what’s important is that campaigns like this help to prove the demand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Wijninga View Post
The project has reached its GBP 100,000 target.
yup, so much for the curmudgeons.

Old 11-09-2017   #64
aizan

lol, you're such a groupie, huss. not a bad thing in this case.

Old 11-09-2017   #65
jos58

Being a film lover, I think this could be a very nice new slr.
My 'newest' film camera is about 35 years old, so I wouldn't mind something buying an actual new one.

Old 11-09-2017   #66
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by aizan View Post
lol, you're such a groupie, huss. not a bad thing in this case.
I know, right?!

It just gets me when film 'enthusiast' sites bemoan the death of film photography, then attack anything that would prevent that.
Misery loves company I guess...

Anyone can buy an old film camera, so what's the point of making a new copy of an old camera? This Reflex does bring new design to the table, as well as new hardware. How cool is this, that I can change film (easily) mid roll? That I can use countless lenses from different mfgs all on the same body? We've all heard the stories about buying a camera for the lens on it, cuz the camera was junk. I've found lenses at flea markets, and no matter how beaten up they were they always work. Bought them for pennies (ok $1..)

And the price point? It's fantastic. The last 'cheap' SLR was the plastic Nikon labelled FM10, and that cost more. And quite frankly using it was a sad homage to the better beginner cameras that came before.

$400 for an all new metal 35mm film SLR, with unique features is just outstanding.

Old 11-09-2017   #67
dmr
Registered Abuser

I assume one market they're going for is people who have various lenses but no well-working bodies with which to use them.

One thing I did not see is anything that said the lenses would work with auto stop-down and wide-open metering and such.

I also did not see even a wild-guess price point. They said "accessible" which could mean anything between the price of a used Holga on Ebay or that of a high-end DSLR.

In any case I do wish them the best of luck.

Old 11-09-2017   #68
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmr View Post
I assume one market they're going for is people who have various lenses but no well-working bodies with which to use them.

One thing I did not see is anything that said the lenses would work with auto stop-down and wide-open metering and such.

I also did not see even a wild-guess price point. They said "accessible" which could mean anything between the price of a used Holga on Ebay or that of a high-end DSLR.

In any case I do wish them the best of luck.
All the info is on their kickstarter page. Prices, functionality etc.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ra/description

Old 11-09-2017   #69
BillBingham2

With the Internet opening up niche markets around the world, projects like this can be successful. Time will tell if they make a larger go of this (e.g. electronic control in modules to give you auto aperture, Lord knows they have the space for it!).

Part of the beauty of KickStarter is that it does your first round of surveys. Not perfect but if you plan it right it really can be VERY helpful.

I'm excited about the offering, though I have no money to spend these days so I can't help out.

B2 (;->

Old 11-09-2017   #70
Michael Markey

Quote:
I am - and I have no idea how you could possibly quantify your aspersions about users of film...?
Through my blog I hear from all sort of people ranging from new youngsters, to the elderly returning to film and everyone in between. These folks have vastly ranging styles and attitudes. This idea the new-to-film photographers are all in it for the fashion hipsters is myopic at best.
Pleased to hear it.

Old 11-09-2017   #71
aizan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmr View Post
like most adapters, the i-plates do not seem to offer full-aperture metering. you're stuck with stop-down metering.

i think the fact that they gloss over this spec is a sign that they're targeting the reflex to newcomers who aren't familiar with old-fashioned lingo and how manual focus slr lenses work.

and what the heck is "DOF: inverted preview"? they probably just mean that it has a DOF preview button.

looks like they updated the specs today. i was worried that viewfinder coverage would be low due to the mirror box having to accommodate the shortest flange back distance, and it turns out that the coverage is a fairly low 90%.

Old 11-09-2017   #72
ptpdprinter

Quote:
and what the heck is "DOF: inverted preview"? they probably just mean that it has a DOF preview button.
I think what it means is you press the "inverted" DOF preview lever to open up the lens to focus. Otherwise, the lens is always stopped down for metering and exposure, which is pretty kludgy. But hey, it's new, so we should all praise it and jump on board. I think users are going to be shooting wide open at fast shutter speeds most of the time to avoid the inconvenience, so there will be a lot of talk about bokeh, which will make it seem even cooler.

Old 11-09-2017   #73
Huss

Quote:

It shows the stopped down view as default, you push the button for it to open the lens to focus. Smart as this way you are always shooting at the intended aperture, w/o having to remember to stop down before you shoot.

Old 11-09-2017   #74
Huss

Quote:
I think what it means is you press the "inverted" DOF preview lever to open up the lens to focus. Otherwise, the lens is always stopped down for metering and exposure, which is pretty kludgy. But hey, it's new, so we should all praise it and jump on board.
No-one has a problem with adapting lenses on digital cameras using these methods. In fact they say how freakin' awesome it is that you can adapt any lens.
But now with a new film camera this all of a sudden becomes a problem? There is no other way to do this and have mount interchangeability.

Old 11-09-2017   #75
aizan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
It just gets me when film 'enthusiast' sites bemoan the death of film photography, then attack anything that would prevent that.
the way things are in this brave new world, i'm more into bemoaning the end of the post-digital golden age of camera collecting. we had it real good for a while, with low prices on great cameras.

a handful of sellers from japan have basically taken over the auction site, sweeping up the supply and raising prices.

aside from that, most of the new projects to revive film photography are targeted at a younger demographic: generation z. no duh the old guys are grumpy.

Old 11-09-2017   #76
ptpdprinter

Quote:
No-one has a problem with adapting lenses on digital cameras using these methods. In fact they say how freakin' awesome it is that you can adapt any lens.
But now with a new film camera this all of a sudden becomes a problem? There is no other way to do this and have mount interchangeability.
I use a mirrorless camera and the EVF automatically adjusts so that the viewfinder always stays bright. I don't know how DSLR users feel about it or how they adjust their shooting style to cope with it.

Old 11-09-2017   #77
ptpdprinter

Quote:
It shows the stopped down view as default, you push the button for it to open the lens to focus. Smart as this way you are always shooting at the intended aperture, w/o having to remember to stop down before you shoot.
Most lenses have had automatic apertures since the early 1960s so you didn't need to remember to stop down. It hasn't been an issue for the past 50 years. I remember what a revelation it was when I upgraded from my Dad's old Exakta VX he bought during the Korean War to a modern Pentax in 1973. I wouldn't want to go back at this stage. The only things modern about this camera are the electronic shutter and non-replaceable rechargeable battery. Would button cells (or even AAs) have been a better choice so you are not left stranded when the battery dies?

Old 11-09-2017   #78
aizan

Quote:
I think what it means is you press the "inverted" DOF preview lever to open up the lens to focus. Otherwise, the lens is always stopped down for metering and exposure, which is pretty kludgy. But hey, it's new, so we should all praise it and jump on board. I think users are going to be shooting wide open at fast shutter speeds most of the time to avoid the inconvenience, so there will be a lot of talk about bokeh, which will make it seem even cooler.
oh, gotcha. so the button is really more for "full-aperture focusing," not so much for DOF preview.

Old 11-09-2017   #79
sepiareverb
genius and moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
...Everyone seems to want to support film until someone comes out with a new film or camera. Then the fangs come out...
Yep. Silbera is another good example. And JCH Pan.

Old 11-09-2017   #80
aizan

i'm going to order a bulk reel of maco ts eagle aqs and stop griping about how overpriced streetpan is. get on the maco bandwagon!