Leica 50mm Summilux Asph Issues?
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1
danieldouloslee

Leica 50mm Summilux Asph Issues?

Happy Father's day everyone. I just acquired a second hand 50 Lux ASPH (non 6 bit) and I seem to be having focusing issues. Seller graciously offered a refund claiming he never had issues with his M9/10 but I would like to make this work for me too with my MD262 and M3.

Problem:
Shooting at 1.4, it seems to focus just slightly behind my subject (mostly eyes) and even inanimate objects. My Zeiss Planar 50 focused perfectly.

Has anyone else experience this as well? Would 6 bit coding (flange replacement) resolve this issue or is there something else going on that I'm not aware of?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

www.instagram.com/35fifty90

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2
Erik van Straten

Could be that your rangefinder is off. Is the rangefinder correct at infinity? Easy check: With the lens on infinity, the two images of the rangefinder must coincide: the moon is a good test object on clear evenings.

It is not unusual for a fast lens and a rangefinder to be matched.

To adjust the rangefinder: turn with a slanted screwdriver the big screw at the bottom of the roller that touches the lens (it is an eccentric) just a little bit until the images in de rangefinder coincide on infinity. Be careful, don't damage anything.

Erik.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3
Ricoh

Are you performing the tests using a tripod, it's all too easy to rock back or forwards and to be misled.
I've been thinking about one of these specifically for such tests.
https://www.wexphotovideo.com/dataco...iABEgKZXPD_BwE

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #4
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by danieldouloslee View Post
Problem:
Shooting at 1.4, it seems to focus just slightly behind my subject (mostly eyes) and even inanimate objects. My Zeiss Planar 50 focused perfectly.

Has anyone else experience this as well? Would 6 bit coding (flange replacement) resolve this issue or is there something else going on that I'm not aware of?

I think the rf on your camera may be slightly off. How is it at f2? Your Planar may seem to focus perfectly because the max aperture it has is f2, not 1.4 where the DOF is shallower.
My cameras focus perfectly with the Planar and the Lux Asph.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5
danieldouloslee

I will double check.

I had Leica NJ recalibrate my RF last month so I doubt that is the issue. (Benefits of living 25 minutes away from them)

Tripod, yes, will retry my shots with it again.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #6
sepiareverb
genius and moron

Quote:
I will double check.

I had Leica NJ recalibrate my RF last month so I doubt that is the issue. (Benefits of living 25 minutes away from them)

Tripod, yes, will retry my shots with it again.

Stop in with camera and lens. They should diagnose fairly quickly.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #7
BillBlackwell

It's not uncommon for even a Leica lens to be slightly out of calibration. If you got it for a good price, and it's otherwise clean, I'd have it adjusted and move on.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #8
Ricoh

Is adjustment effected by shimming the helicoid?

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #9
anson0408
tahusa.co

I got the exact same issue. The summilux 50mm asph with a serious back focus. At first I thought it was my problem because of slow shutter on film but then I tried to compare with other lenses that I have. At last I sent it to local repairman for calibration and it is razor sharp now.

Quote:
Happy Father's day everyone. I just acquired a second hand 50 Lux ASPH (non 6 bit) and I seem to be having focusing issues. Seller graciously offered a refund claiming he never had issues with his M9/10 but I would like to make this work for me too with my MD262 and M3.

Problem:

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #10
danieldouloslee

Thanks @anson0408 for that insight! Would you mind sharing how long/costly the process was? I'm keen on keeping the lens as it's probably something I'd never sell, but I want to make sure it is worth the unexpected added cost on my end. Surprisingly, YYE said he does not work on 50 lux ASPH given its complicated nature of the FLE.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #11
anson0408
tahusa.co

I am located in Hong Kong and the repairman previously worked in Leica and he is retired now. It takes around 1 week for him to complete the calibration. Yes he did mention the same that the FLE is very tricky since it is only about focus shift it doesn't affect the "optical axis" not sure if this is the correct term. But yea this kind of calibration shouldn't be a big problem to them.

I know how you feel! because I had the same struggle, whole bunch of test shots and even doubt my eyes or my M10's rangefinder is off. If you tend to keep this lens, I strongly recommend you calibrate it because it is a great lens to keep!

Quote:
Thanks @anson0408 for that insight! Would you mind sharing how long/costly the process was? I'm keen on keeping the lens as it's probably something I'd never sell, but I want to make sure it is worth the unexpected added cost on my end. Surprisingly, YYE said he does not work on 50 lux ASPH given its complicated nature of the FLE.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #12
anson0408
tahusa.co

Forgot to mention, the cost is around $128 USD.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #13
leicapixie

The sharper the lens the greater the aperture, the result bad focus!
The Leica RFDR never designed for such perfection..
It gets by but that's not enough.
Never a problem with film, Collapsible-Summicron 1954-55...