Old 04-03-2018   #81
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Cloetta View Post
Cal,

That’s funny, but that’s how marketing works these days, in part. Would be interesting to know if camera bloggers get the same level of swag, or disclose it. Though not sure how many camera bloggers have 478k followers, which would be the key to freebies.

Larry
Larry,

Two years ago I contacted Leica and asked them to lend me an auto-focus lens for me to use on my SL for New York Fashion Week.

To my surprise they lent me a 24-90 zoom for three weeks. LOL.

Later this month I'm going to Spain (Mad-Rid, my New Mexico enunciation) for a free "luxury" all expense paid vacation. We will be guests at some palace that has been converted into a high end hotel.

Last year my gal went. The deal was for a "plus-one" which means a guest, but I did not have my passport ready. (Everything in fashion seems to get booked at the last minute.) Of course the flight is First-Class and the hotel sends the Mercedes limo to pick her up. Of course the suite she is given is about twice the size of our apartment and has two baths.

Also it is weird when we travel because in every city she gets recognized by one of her followers (stalkers). LOL. People gush, ask for selfies, and sometimes regress into behaviors of a five year old screaming like they are going to wet their pants.

Cal

Old 04-03-2018   #82
brbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKRCAT View Post
It's true. 100%. But take Kodak for instance. They would have had the same size operation and same expectations as fuji. They had a bit of a late start at reforming but they did. The fact that they are bringing back both tmax 3200 as well as ektachrome really shows their commitment to their customers.

Fuji on the other hand, never took note from Kodak. With Acros, Neopan 400 and a good chunk of E6 that only leaves them with what?, some color reversal? It's only a matter of time before that's slashed too. Kodak has really made a good name for themselves with their portra line. It's tough competition out there.

By this time next year I could see fuji cutting the last of what's remaining.
I really doubt Fuji's exit has anything to do with competition. It's more likely that Kodak still NEEDS to make and sell film to survive whereas Fuji doesn't need film and is just slowly selling what they have for the highest price the market will bear.

Old 04-03-2018   #83
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by brbo View Post
I really doubt Fuji's exit has anything to do with competition. It's more likely that Kodak still NEEDS to make and sell film to survive whereas Fuji doesn't need film and is just slowly selling what they have for the highest price the market will bear.
I agree. Kodak's business plan includes motion picture film. 5222 I think has legs for B&W 135 film.

Too bad not available in 120 or 70mm double perf.

Cal

Old 04-03-2018   #84
BLKRCAT
99% Film

Quote:
Originally Posted by brbo View Post
Yeah which is why I said this:

Quote:
...With so many companies coming out with new films and overall the market seems to be growing again I speculate that there's an agenda over at fuji that's independent from the market.

Old 04-03-2018   #85
BLKRCAT
99% Film

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone View Post
I agree. Kodak's business plan includes motion picture film. 5222 I think has legs for B&W 135 film.

Too bad not available in 120 or 70mm double perf.

Cal
Correct me if I'm wrong but 5222 is an Eastman product. Not Alaris. I'm not sure how Alaris would make it a still film when it's a motion picture film from Eastman? It's my understanding that they are separate companies.

Old 04-03-2018   #86
Pioneer

Fuji is doing exactly what a large, successful, well managed corporation should do in the face of a shrinking market.

I'm not too sure what Kodak is doing and, even worse, I don't think they know what they are doing. But, as poorly managed as they appear to be, I do hope they figure out how to keep making film.

It is almost as good as a fast horse!
Dan

Old 04-03-2018   #87
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but 5222 is an Eastman product. Not Alaris. I'm not sure how Alaris would make it a still film when it's a motion picture film from Eastman? It's my understanding that they are separate companies.
B-C,

Kodak 5222 I should of mentioned for clarity.

Kodak is still a player in motion picture films. This is why I think Kodak 5222 might have legs for us B&W shooters. Also it seems to be one of the last silver rich thick emulsion films made today.

Cal

Old 04-03-2018   #88
BLKRCAT
99% Film

Cal it is a great film. I've worked through 200ft of it and had great shots from iso 200 - 1600. Can't knock that.

Old 04-03-2018   #89
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Cal it is a great film. I've worked through 200ft of it and had great shots from iso 200 - 1600. Can't knock that.
B-C,

It is sad to loose Acros. It is a special film for some like me.

But on the other hand all I need is one film to obsess about to make it work for me to be happy. Shoot and develop again and again like a deadly Kung-Fu move.

For 135 Kodak 5222 seems like a great choice. I get nice negatives for wet printing at 400 ISO using Diafine 4+4. I only do two inversions per minute. FP4 I can also shoot at 160 ISO and develop in the same tank 4+4 with Diafine.

Perhaps do only 3+3 for thinner negatives for scanning.

120 is a different story, and this is where the loss of Acros hurts me the most. Again for night tripod shooting Acros is best.

Cal

Old 04-03-2018   #90
brbo

Quote:
Well, Alaris would get it from Eastman and then sell it. Same as they do with all their films.

Old 04-03-2018   #91
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
B-C,

https://www.ultrafineonline.com/Ko52doxblwhf.html

$5.95 Kodak 5222 roll

$28.95 5-pack ($5.79 per roll)

For convenience...

Cal

Old 04-03-2018   #92
bluesun267

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmanjiro View Post
100% confirmed. The above Japanese language notification is what Fujifilm sent to film resellers in Japan. Last shipments from the factory expected in October 2018, and the shipped film will have an expiry date of October 2019.
I don't read Japanese, but are we certain they aren't just pulling some size variations...?
From what I can infer from the document shown, I see:
135 single roll
135 3 pack
120-5 pack

So that leaves:
135-5 pack
and 120-single rolls

I admit, even if my interpretation is correct, it wouldn't bode well for Acros as it would be typical for them to pull the remaining sizes a few months later. But I'd like to be certain of what I'm seeing.

Old 04-03-2018   #93
Ted Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
Fuji is doing exactly what a large, successful, well managed corporation should do in the face of a shrinking market.

I'm not too sure what Kodak is doing and, even worse, I don't think they know what they are doing. But, as poorly managed as they appear to be, I do hope they figure out how to keep making film.
Kodak is in massively difficult financial condition. They have not achieved anywhere near the stability that they predicted post bankruptcy and it is looking like 2019 is going to be a come-to-god moment for them when they are forced to pay off their preferred shareholders to the tune of $17.50/share. That is going to take tens of millions of dollars. Money that they do not have. Kodak bonds now are junk rated. Their credit rating is junk rated by the markets.

It would be far far more preferable to have had Fujifilm stay in the film business, maybe lose some money if it had to be that way, but support this art form with the bulk of their profitable businesses.

Sadly, it does not look like that is going to happen. Kodak struggled along long enough for Fujifilm to lose interest in film.

Old 04-03-2018   #94
Ted Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesun267 View Post
I don't read Japanese, but are we certain they aren't just pulling some size variations...?
From what I can infer from the document shown, I see:
135 single roll
135 3 pack
120-5 pack

So that leaves:
135-5 pack
and 120-single rolls

I admit, even if my interpretation is correct, it wouldn't bode well for Acros as it would be typical for them to pull the remaining sizes a few months later. But I'd like to be certain of what I'm seeing.
I've never seen a single roll of Acros for sale in 120 format. Has anyone?

Old 04-03-2018   #95
bluesun267

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
I bought 120 single rolls (in boxes) last month from B&H.

B&H also lists 35mm in 10 packs and single rolls, so maybe it was never available in 5-packs.

Old 04-03-2018   #96
filmtwit
Desperate but not serious

I've seen 120 singles at several camera stored (SFBay and Portland) and when I order it from Freestyle, though the 5 pack is usually more cost efficient (by a $1-2)

Quote:

The Flickr Stream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/filmtwit/

The Blog (Boring Sidney, Boring)
http://jeffthomasallen.blogspot.com/

Old 04-03-2018   #97
valdas

Quote:
https://www.macodirect.de/en/film/bl...-roll-film-120

Old 04-03-2018   #98
Prest_400
Multiformat

I remember single 120 rolls haven't been sold by either Kodak or Fuji for quite a few years already.
Single rolls understood as the format of the roll with its own small 1 roll box. Ilford sells 120 this way, without multipacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valdas View Post
When they are sold as such, it is from splitting a propack.

And I think the Japanese community did interpret it as a complete discontinuation without being a rearrangement.

Old 04-03-2018   #99
valdas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prest_400 View Post
I remember single 120 rolls haven't been sold by either Kodak or Fuji for quite a few years already.
Single rolls understood as the format of the roll with its own small 1 roll box. Ilford sells 120 this way, without multipacks.

When they are sold as such, it is from splitting a propack.

And I think the Japanese community did interpret it as a complete discontinuation without being a rearrangement.

Yes, fair comment. I can see one pack box images on internet, so it was probably available, but rather as an exception.

https://www.scandinavianphoto.se/pro...20-film-5-pack

Old 04-04-2018   #100
Ted Striker

Quote:
This is just an open pro pack roll.

Old 04-04-2018   #101
valdas

Quote:
This is just an open pro pack roll.
yes, correct. still, it does not mean it does not exist, check this one:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...fessional.html

Old 04-04-2018   #102
css9450

Quote:
yes, correct. still, it does not mean it does not exist, check this one:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...fessional.html
Could be they've had that same picture for the past decade. I'd love to be able to get them in single boxes like that though!

Old 04-04-2018   #103
valdas

Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
Could be they've had that same picture for the past decade. I'd love to be able to get them in single boxes like that though!
Could be, but in general - why would one care about a box? It sounds to me as a bit of fetishism . A film is a film... Less boxes, less trees are cut...

Old 04-04-2018   #104
css9450

Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
.... and Freestyle is out of 120. Should be just temporary though it sounds like.
How odd. Freestyle sent my order in two shipments, 24 hours apart. Its Fed Ex Ground - so there are now two trains racing across the desert heading for Chicago, with my film aboard.

Old 04-04-2018   #105
DanskDynamit

one ignorant question, how come Eastman 5222 has future when nobody is filming in black and white anymore?

Old 04-04-2018   #106
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanskDynamit View Post
one ignorant question, how come Eastman 5222 has future when nobody is filming in black and white anymore?
Dan,

One explaination is film schools where students cut their teeth and learn the old school approach in B&W for economic reasons.

Also know I'm seeing less B&W prints and more color prints in the fine art world in galleries. It seems B&W is phasing out.

Cal

Old 04-04-2018   #107
Larry Cloetta

Quote:

Also know I'm seeing less B&W prints and more color prints in the fine art world in galleries. It seems B&W is phasing out.

Cal
Uh, oh. I can’t see that as being a positive development.
Phone brain syndrome claims another victim, perhaps.

As far as photography is concerned: B&W is for people. Color is for people’s clothes.

Old 04-04-2018   #108
maigo

I'm on vacation in Japan and checked out BIC Camera tonight at Shibuya (Hachikoguchi) looking for some Acros 100.
They were out of 120 5 packs and 135 3 packs. I bought the last 3 singles of 135.

I don't speak Japanese. The shopkeeper had no understanding of me or the product when I asked if it was discontinued or still available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 04-04-2018   #109
jonmanjiro

Quote:
Its right there in black and white beyond any shadow of a doubt if you do read Japanese (I do).

Here's the Japanese language title of the notification from Fujifilm: 白黒フィルムおよび白黒印画紙 販売終了の案内

Sticking that into Google Translate gets you this: Black-and-white film and black-and-white photographic paper sale end guidance

"sale end" is a clumsy way of saying discontinued. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maigo View Post
I'm on vacation in Japan and checked out BIC Camera tonight at Shibuya (Hachikoguchi) looking for some Acros 100.
They were out of 120 5 packs and 135 3 packs.
Same thing at Yodobashi Camera. The panic buying has already started!

Old 04-04-2018   #110
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Cloetta View Post
Uh, oh. I can’t see that as being a positive development.
Phone brain syndrome claims another victim, perhaps.

As far as photography is concerned: B&W is for people. Color is for people’s clothes.
Larry,

I took a "Gallery Workshop" and got up to date on the fine art market. It was a rude awakening for an old school guy like me.

I had always thought that silver wet prints would command a premium over archival pigment prints, especially in the fine art market. No doubt that a silver print is more archival, but a pricing premium no longer exists today.

To stay on topic we know that film is a dying art, and people like us are "romantic" about keeping our love for Acros and film alive.

Interesting to note that when my gal started her blog almost 4 years ago, we were forced to use B&W to cover fashion, this was hard to do, and this was due to the Monochrom being my only digital camera. Manual focus was another handicap...

But the point here is I learned from my gal's blog is: that if you want to stand out don't do what everyone else is doing. "Maggie's" blog got a lot of "traction" because it stood out.

This April 15th will be the 10th Annual "Shorty" Awards Ceremony. My gal is one of six finalists in the fashion category as a "Digital Influencer." One of her competitors is Victoria Beckham.

Moral of the story here is that it pays not to follow the herd, and individuality is well rewarded.

In life I found out that being a strong individual basically disturbs and annoys people. LOL. Seems part of my "Branding." LOL.

Back on topic. Be a romantic and shoot as much Acros while it is still available.

Cal

Old 04-04-2018   #111
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Its right there in black and white beyond any shadow of a doubt if you do read Japanese (I do).

Here's the Japanese language title of the notification from Fujifilm: 白黒フィルムおよび白黒印画紙 販売終了の案内

Sticking that into Google Translate gets you this: Black-and-white film and black-and-white photographic paper sale end guidance

"sale end" is a clumsy way of saying discontinued. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Jon,

Thanks for the clarity. Bad news is not your fault.

Cal

Old 04-04-2018   #112
taemo

Article i read about this
Dont know how accurate it is
https://studioc41.net/2018/03/30/und...g-fujinotfilm/

Old 04-04-2018   #113
bluesun267

My last order from B&H arrived yesterday (ordered before this announcement hit the internet): I received 3 rolls of 120 (no boxes), expiration 10/2019

Old 04-04-2018   #114
bluesun267

Quote:
Originally Posted by taemo View Post
Article i read about this
Dont know how accurate it is
https://studioc41.net/2018/03/30/und...g-fujinotfilm/
I call B*S on that story. No film manufacturer can maintain strict quality control (at least what we are used to, and still get from Fuji) by deep-freezing film for, what is it now, 6 years?

This might be workable for a slow speed B/W like ACROS (or Agfa APX 100) but as I've shot film now for 30+ years, I've never seen a color film, even Kodachrome, not suffer some degradation after that amount of time, no matter how "deep" the freeze. Whether this degradation is acceptable to the average photographer is another story (I've certainly gotten acceptable results from many years' expired color film).

I just do not see Fuji, as a business, selling products with just 'acceptable' standards for an indeterminate period after 2012. Also, they would have to have changed their own established standards for expiration dates, and in effect be lying to consumers. They seem to be claiming all the film manufacture equipment has been scrapped; I take that to include the slitting, perforating and finishing equipment as well. So are we are supposed to believe that Fuji knew in 2012 exactly how much of each film they would sell in the next six (or indeterminate) years, cut, packaged and dated them appropriately, and froze them?

Old 04-04-2018   #115
maigo

Quote:
As I'm leaving Japan on Friday and don't have more time for shopping, I just panic-bought 10 x 5 pack of Acros 120 from B&H.
"More coming" is the stock status.

The price will only go up from here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 04-04-2018   #116
Prest_400
Multiformat

Quote:
They seem to be claiming all the film manufacture equipment has been scrapped; I take that to include the slitting, perforating and finishing equipment as well. So are we are supposed to believe that Fuji knew in 2012 exactly how much of each film they would sell in the next six (or indeterminate) years, cut, packaged and dated them appropriately, and froze them?
The main issue with the "scrapped" equipment theory is that Instax materials still require a negative product, thus a coater in operation.
Back on the initial stages, Impossible had Ilford cut the Negative material of its Integral films.

And a disconcerning fact here is that B&W materials are easier to manufacture compared to color products.

Old 04-04-2018   #117
Roger Hicks

Quote:
. . . we know that film is a dying art, and people like us are "romantic" about keeping our love for Acros and film alive. . . .
Dear Cal,

For a given value of "dying". Ever been to Arles? And Ilford is doing OK.

Cheers,

R.

Old 04-04-2018   #118
css9450

Quote:
I call B*S on that story.... deep-freezing film for, what is it now, 6 years?

So are we are supposed to believe that Fuji knew in 2012 exactly how much of each film they would sell in the next six (or indeterminate) years?
I don't buy it either, particularly since the article makes it sound like this "end" of sales has snuck up on them sooner than initially predicted thanks to whatever film resurgence might be going on. Like they might have kept it frozen for even more time otherwise.

Old 04-06-2018   #119
znapper

It's now official, stock up.....or don't, but it will be gone soon:

http://ffis.fujifilm.co.jp/informati...lein_0081.html

https://translate.google.com/transla...tml&edit-text=

Old 04-06-2018   #120
Scapevision

no worry friend, Kodak will bring it back!