Old 06-09-2018   #1
Huss

Lomo aged film is back!

https://shop.lomography.com/en/films...m-f2-120-5pack

Get it while it's cold!

Old 06-09-2018   #2
Timmyjoe

LOMO is a Russian company, right?

Selling "aged" (read "expired") film at a premium price and acting like it's something really special, just because it's expired (I mean aged), reminds me of the old P.T. Barnum saying, "There's a sucker born every minute."

Just my 2 worth.

Best,
-Tim

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 06-09-2018   #3
Swift1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyjoe View Post
LOMO is a Russian company, right? And after what Russia did in our last election here in the States, and throughout Europe, I can't help but think they think we are all fools.

Selling "aged" (read "expired") film at a premium price and acting like it's something really special, just because it's expired (I mean aged), reminds me of the old P.T. Barnum saying, "There's a sucker born every minute."

Just my 2 worth.

Best,
-Tim
I pretty sure that the company Lomography isn't Russian. AFAIK they are based in Vienna.

If you're gonna shoot, shoot, don't talk. The Ugly
My Flickr
My Website

Old 06-09-2018   #4
ptpdprinter

Selling expired, color shifted film at a premium is quite the marketing trick.

Old 06-09-2018   #5
css9450

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpdprinter View Post
Selling expired, color shifted film at a premium is quite the marketing trick.
Its just like hyping the light leaks on a broken camera as a "feature". Some people will pay extra for that!

Old 06-09-2018   #6
Archlich

Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
Its just like hyping the light leaks on a broken camera as a "feature". Some people will pay extra for that!
Paying more for less. Sounds quite familiar to us Leica users...hmm?

Old 06-09-2018   #7
Steve M.

I have some nicely aged salad in the fridge in case anyone is interested. The dressing is even more vintage, and I can make a package deal at the right price :]

In all seriousness, the colours on the samples from the lomo film look great.

Old 06-09-2018   #8
Pioneer

Has anyone actually used this film or are we slinging the normal baloney about things we know nothing about?

I'm not sure that the majority of us are part of Lomo's customer base.

It is almost as good as a fast horse!
Dan

Old 06-09-2018   #9
Swift1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
Has anyone actually used this film or are we slinging the normal baloney about things we know nothing about?

Sounds about right
I've used and reviewed the 35mm stuff they released last year.
It's interesting film, especially if it from Ferrania Color stock like the 35mm was.
I personally think the 120 is priced too high, but considering what people pay for expired Ferrania on ebay, and the fact it's 120, the price isn't out of line.
There's nothing quite like those Ferrania colors...

Here's my review from last year,
https://www.filmshooterscollective.c...ton-allen-3-30

My Flickr
My Website

Old 06-09-2018   #10
Pioneer

Interesting review Colton. If you get time to shoot another roll at EI200 you will have to post the results.

This new 120 does seem pricey but I think I'll try 5 rolls to play with since 120 is becoming my new 135.

EDIT - Ordered. I hope it gets here before I forget about it.

Dan

Last edited by Pioneer : 06-09-2018 at 14:05. Reason: New information

Old 06-09-2018   #11
Spider67

It's actually "Die Lomographische Gesellschaft" The Company is Austrian....the term "Lomographer" was coined there.
So you are not supporting the "evil empire" but a Group of yodeling Hipsters (before the term was invented) who made a living out of a Hobby....If you find my description a bit disrespectful...I am Bulgaroaustrian that what Austrians (especially Viennese like me) like to do: dissing successful People

Old 06-09-2018   #12
Swift1

Quote:
Interesting review Colton. If you get time to shoot another roll at EI200 you will have to post the results.

This new 120 does seem pricey but I think I'll try 5 rolls to play with since 120 is becoming my new 135.

EDIT - Ordered. I hope it gets here before I forget about it.
After writing that review, I did shoot a roll at EI 200, and TBH I didn't like the results. The grain was better, but the colors became muddy and dull.
After that, I shot a 3rd roll at EI 320, and found that was kinda the sweet spot.

Untitled by Colton Allen, on Flickr
Pentax SF1N
SMC Pentax-F 28/2.8
Lomo F/400 @320
Epson V750-M Pro

My Flickr
My Website

Old 06-09-2018   #13
dave lackey

Colton,

I rather like the look. It is different and to be honest, if folks can have fun with it, I'm in!!!!

We need to have FUN and sometimes we just have to let it all hang out and go for it! This is nice, IMO.

Dave

Old 06-09-2018   #14
Pioneer

That is good information to have for starters Colton. Thanks.

Dan

Old 06-09-2018   #15
lynnb

USD$71.50 = AUD$94 for 5 rolls shipped.. not an option. If it was half that price I'd give it a try.
Flickr

Old 06-09-2018   #16
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Mystified personally!

But then again people pay premium price for pre torn and stressed denim jeans ... each to their own!

Old 06-09-2018   #17
bayernfan

i was a big fan of the 35mm version, wish i had bought more as it's hard to find now. purchased 15 rolls of 120. will thoroughly enjoy it, i'm sure.

Old 06-09-2018   #18
Steve M.

I did not ck the price. Wow. That is crazy expensive!!!!

I suspect someone could cross process some regular film and come up w/ a similar look at a fraction of the cost? Or get what they like in PS? Or something.

Old 06-09-2018   #19
Pioneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Mystified personally!

But then again people pay premium price for pre torn and stressed denim jeans ... each to their own!
I have some torn and seriously stressed blue jeans. I'll be sure to wear them when I shoot this film.

Actually the cost to my door was $51 USD. I have recently paid that much to get the same amount of Portra 800 to my front door.

You gotta to pay to play!

Dan

Old 06-09-2018   #20
Steve M.

Like all things, if it's what someone likes, then it's worth the price. I would probably pay even more for some of the old Agfa Optima colour film they got rid of years ago.

Old 06-09-2018   #21
NeonKnight

I'm just gonna leave this here...

https://www.lomography.com/magazine/...n-film-soaking

Last edited by NeonKnight : 06-09-2018 at 20:43. Reason: Fix link

Old 06-09-2018   #22
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
She's just featured, Lomo has nothing to do with her or her process.

Still, there are actually a couple of really cool images there, especially the one on the left just under "A word of advice in doing film experiments".

As for the naysayers to this batch of aged film:

1. The first batch sold out and became highly desirable.
2. Forget the term 'aged'. The film has a look and that is the selling point. If you don't like it because your cat won't look so good with it, fine. But there will be easily enough other people who will, and who will make this another successful campaign.
3. No-one out there does more to promote film photography than Lomo. No-one. Just check out their magazine (as well as the rest of their site)https://www.lomography.com/magazine

Old 06-10-2018   #23
DanskDynamit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyjoe View Post
LOMO is a Russian company, right?

Just my 2 worth.

Best,
-Tim
Lomographische AG is an austrian company.
For us who shoot only film, Lomography has kept the demand high of our beloved medium.
Think about it, in the last 20 years, which company released more NEW film cameras to the market in different formats? which company has opened more NEW stores all over the world? which company offers cameras, films, developing and printing services in one place?
why the hate then? because they sell expired/rebranded film? what is JCH doing? and Cinestill? and Bergger? and Kosmo Foto?

you don't like their products? don't buy them, it's simple.

Old 06-10-2018   #24
Peter Wijninga

The history of Lomography: https://www.lomography.com/about/history

Old 06-10-2018   #25
NeonKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Still, there are actually a couple of really cool images there, especially the one on the left just under "A word of advice in doing film experiments".
I agree that they are pretty cool. The ability to experiment and surprise yourself after every roll is one of the joys/pains of film. I've been wanting to try their purple film.

The example link is extreme but I think it demonstrates the differennt attitudes between Leica and Lomo users. It would be blasphemous to run a "soaked" roll through an M, and many people associate rangefinders more with literal snapshots than psychedelic visuals.

Old 06-10-2018   #26
bayernfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
3. No-one out there does more to promote film photography than Lomo. No-one. Just check out their magazine (as well as the rest of their site)https://www.lomography.com/magazine
Agreed. Lomo is doing awesome things for the film community. Their product lineup is diverse and bound to attract an avid/experimental film shooter in one way or another.

Old 06-10-2018   #27
robert blu
quiet photographer

Exploring different possibilities is always interesting, sometimes it works as planned and sometimes it doesn't!

Maybe an idea to dedust my Rolleiflex or the Holga...i'm not shooting both of them since a long time...

robert

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 06-10-2018   #28
Huss

Quote:

The example link is extreme but I think it demonstrates the differennt attitudes between Leica and Lomo users. ..
I am a proud Leica Lomo user! I have two Lomo lenses - the fantastic Petzval bokeh control and the Minitar 32 2.8 - as well as their excellent DIGITLIZA film holders. And they are the only source for 110 film, plus their 400 and 800 35mm films (the regular unseasoned stuff) are very good and most excellently priced.

I think when you mean demonstrates the 'different attitudes' I think you are referring to those Leica owners (note I do not say users) who just like to talk about and show their baubles. But do not actually do anything creative with them.

As for the pee pictures - I would never put that film in any camera I have no matter the cost! It's just not my thing but I do admire her cookieness and some of the results. She definitely seems like an interesting person!

Old 06-10-2018   #29
Ted Striker

Quote:
I have some torn and seriously stressed blue jeans. I'll be sure to wear them when I shoot this film.

Actually the cost to my door was $51 USD. I have recently paid that much to get the same amount of Portra 800 to my front door.

You gotta to pay to play!
Yes, but Portra 800 is a quality film, not expired trash being passed off as an actual product.

Old 06-10-2018   #30
css9450

Quote:
The example link is extreme but I think it demonstrates the differennt attitudes between Leica and Lomo users.
Users of all other brands fall somewhere in-between?

Old 06-10-2018   #31
x-ray

I should offer film exposed to moderate doses of xrays. X-ray fog makes for some interesting effects particularly 35mm in the cassette.

Old 06-10-2018   #32
NeonKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
Users of all other brands fall somewhere in-between?
I think so. To me the Leica is the ultimate precision camera, you can use it to get the most out of your negative, on the other hand, Lomo is beauty in imperfection. I like Lomo products and have used them with my M. But, I don't have as much time to shoot as I used to so having a consistent film is important to me. One of my favorite color films was Lomography 100 but I think a few years ago they started using a different stock. If I had more time I would probably experiment more but for now I'll stick with my trusted 400H.

Old 06-12-2018   #33
Ted Striker

Quote:
I think so. To me the Leica is the ultimate precision camera, you can use it to get the most out of your negative, on the other hand, Lomo is beauty in imperfection. I like Lomo products and have used them with my M. But, I don't have as much time to shoot as I used to so having a consistent film is important to me. One of my favorite color films was Lomography 100 but I think a few years ago they started using a different stock. If I had more time I would probably experiment more but for now I'll stick with my trusted 400H.

400H is an awesome film. A shame it is so damned expensive.

Old 06-12-2018   #34
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Referring to soaking the film in her own urine, she said, "I didn't know at the time if it would turn out [well]".

What reason would there be to expect it to turn out well?

Old 06-12-2018   #35
DanskDynamit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
Yes, but Portra 800 is a quality film, not expired trash being passed off as an actual product.

that's exactly what you don't get. People who want to shoot a "normal" film to get "normal" results, will shoot Portra, Ektar, etc.
People who want a different look will shoot Lomo just like people who load a Leica M with a Jupiter 3 instead of a summilux or a CZ sonnar.
Lomography is not lying about the product they are selling, it's very VERY clear that is an expired film with a certain look and we all know they don't produce their own film.
Just relax and let people enjoy photography as they like, if we all shoot Portra, it would be a very boring form of art.