Aperture Blades Exposed
Old 09-29-2018   #1
mark_pw

Exclamation Aperture Blades Exposed

I think I'm new to this stuff.

This lens has the aperture blades exposed.

https://ebay.to/2NbUkzo

I wonder if any dust or particles could be trapped between the blades and scratch or stuck them. They look fragile.
My photo experiments

Old 09-29-2018   #2
santino
eXpect me

They are fragile. Dust shouldn't be a problem but touch them!

Old 09-30-2018   #3
David Hughes
David Hughes

The position of the aperture blade in the lens is part of the design but not so common these days but look at old cameras and you'll see a lot of them.

Regards, David

Old 09-30-2018   #4
mark_pw

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hughes View Post
The position of the aperture blade in the lens is part of the design but not so common these days but look at old cameras and you'll see a lot of them.

Regards, David
Is it the reason why the lens can be made so thin? If the aperture blades are put between glasses, it would be thicker?
My photo experiments

Old 09-30-2018   #5
lonemantis

In the case of this particular lens, Miyazaki would have likely had no choice but to put the aperture in front. The optics on this lens are so tiny, and grouped so closely together, that there was probably no room inside the lens for them. There's no space behind the rear element either. The exposed blades shouldn't be an issue for most normal shooting conditions.

That said, the lens is supposed to come with a hood that takes a 19mm filter, which I would consider essential to using and protecting it. (the hood also gives you something to grab so you can adjust the aperture, rather than putting your fingernails into the tabs around the front) This one seems to be missing the hood, which is definitely not ideal.

Old 09-30-2018   #6
Steve M.

It's difficult to imagine that the designer couldn't have put a clear, coated glass over the aperture blades, which would have only added a few mm to the lens thickness. And if the lens is designed to have a hood anyway.......

It really makes no sense from a design perspective, as the hood would surely be much thicker than any bit of optical glass on the front. This one is a real head scratcher.

Old 09-30-2018   #7
Pioneer

Don't poke your finger in there!

Not a big deal. Been using my 24 and 28 off and on for 3 years with no problems.

There are trade offs for owning and using some of the tiniest pancake lenses made buy anyone. If you don't trust it, don't buy it.

It is almost as good as a fast horse!
Dan

Old 10-02-2018   #8
mark_pw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M. View Post
It's difficult to imagine that the designer couldn't have put a clear, coated glass over the aperture blades, which would have only added a few mm to the lens thickness. And if the lens is designed to have a hood anyway.......

It really makes no sense from a design perspective, as the hood would surely be much thicker than any bit of optical glass on the front. This one is a real head scratcher.
Yes
My photo experiments

Old 10-02-2018   #9
retinax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M. View Post

But a lot of people like to put a clear (or colored), coated glass in front of their lenses anyway: a filter. They either want the effect of a specific filter of a protective element that can be easily cleaned and exchanged if need be, neither of which a flat element added from the factory could provide. And having two extra pieces of flat glass in front of the lens would not help image quality.

Old 10-02-2018   #10
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Pretty funny looking lens. I doubt I'd buy it.

Old 10-02-2018   #11
peterm1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_pw View Post
I think I'm new to this stuff.

This lens has the aperture blades exposed.

https://ebay.to/2NbUkzo

I wonder if any dust or particles could be trapped between the blades and scratch or stuck them. They look fragile.

I was surprised when I bought the first AF version of Nikon's 180mm f2.8 ED lens (the one with the shiny plastic barrel and skinny MF ring that people dislike for mainly aesthetic reasons). And lo and behold - it has no rear element to close the innards and protect the aperture blades. Not even an optically flat element that has no optical purpose.

Apparently the 300mm f/4 AF-S has the same "feature" (Provided by Nikon at no extra cost :^) )

I have seen plenty of old long lenses with nothing at the rear of the focusing mount (all the elements are at the front) but never with the aperture exposed to this degree - usually the iris has at least one element behind it and at least a couple in front.

So I was a bit gobsmacked when I got mine but I have had that lens for 10 years and so far...so good.

Old 10-13-2018   #12
Fraser

I don't see it, they look like they are between the elements, yes the old Nikon 300mm and 180mm both have exposed aperture blades bit weird the first time you see them!

Old 10-13-2018   #13
farlymac
PF McFarland

The MS-Optical does not have exposed aperture blades. Otherwise, Mark, you wouldn't see the coating reflection of the lens in the photo you have referenced.

PF

Old 10-21-2018   #14
mark_pw

Quote:
Originally Posted by farlymac View Post
The MS-Optical does not have exposed aperture blades. Otherwise, Mark, you wouldn't see the coating reflection of the lens in the photo you have referenced.

PF
The first photo showed the exposed blades.

The second photo showed the coating because the aperture is widely opened.
My photo experiments