Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Regret purchasing?
Old 09-30-2018   #1
bmattock

Regret purchasing?

The only camera I absolutely regret purchasing was my Pentax Q10. It's small size is literally its only redeeming feature. I bought it with the vague notion that it would be like the Pentax Auto-110 I carried back in my military days; a rough-and-tumble, go-anywhere camera that I would always have with me.

I bought it with the factory lens and immediately got an adapter to allow me to mount C mount 8mm cine lenses, thinking how much fun that would be. I bought a few C mount lenses and waited patiently for the fun to begin. It didn't.

Image quality is terrible. The camera is fiddly and hard to use. Manual focus is a royal pain. Battery life is terrible. I quite literally have $15 thrift-store digital point-and-shoot cameras that have higher image quality.

All in all, this is one camera that I regret buying. There haven't been that many; I almost always find a way to have fun with a camera, from a Brownie to a broken dSLR. I enjoy a challenge and although I'm far from a competent camera repairist, I can usually manage to kludge something useful together out of broken old camera parts.

Not so with the Pentax Q10.

What about your regrets?

Old 09-30-2018   #2
kshapero
Press the Shutter

First off, I had the Original Q with the 43 MM FOV lens. It was a blast. So different strokes for different folks. I picked up a Nicca RF and the ergonomics were terrible. I love old film cameras but not if they are a physical torture to hold.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 09-30-2018   #3
benlees

The Fuji X100. Thought "this is it; the perfect digital camera!" I just couldn't get on with it. The only camera I have bought brand new, as well. Went back to film with my tail between my legs. Sold it at quite a loss, but wasn't using it and getting something for it is better than waiting for the inevitable and steep digital devaluation.

Did get an Xpro1 this year which I quite like...

Old 09-30-2018   #4
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

I have had a little bit of buyer's remorse or hesitation about a purchase regarding many cameras but eventually learned that I loved most of them.
Except one.
The Leica M9.
I won't go on here about my experience with this camera and the company, as I've already taken up a lot of space in other threads here at RFF regarding this matter. Above all others though, the time with the M9 is time I wish I could get back, no question about it.

Phil Forrest

Old 09-30-2018   #5
bmattock

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshapero View Post
First off, I had the Original Q with the 43 MM FOV lens. It was a blast. So different strokes for different folks. I picked up a Nicca RF and the ergonomics were terrible. I love old film cameras but not if they are a physical torture to hold.
Absolutely, every camera finds a different appreciative audience. I definitely do not think the Pentax Q10 was my cup of tea, but I have no problems believing it is just the thing for others.

I agree that some cameras are quite difficult to love, sometimes due to ergonomics. I have managed to learn to hold a Contax/Kiev, but that 'claw' method of holding it just isn't for me. I find the camera interesting and the lenses stunning, but I just don't pick it up often. I've known a few others like that as well. Sometimes to my disappointment because I liked them well in other ways, but they're not pleasant for me to hold or use.

Old 09-30-2018   #6
Larry Cloetta

The only camera I have ever regretted buying was a Leica M2, but that was only because the seller (here) lied to me about it’s condition, and then would not take it back. So, after two years of shop time I now have a $1,400 beater looking M2 in great functional condition. But, that’s a special case so doesn’t really count since an M2 isn’t inherently regrettable, and even that one is enjoyable now.
Other than that nothing. I often am haunted by seller’s remorse, never buyer’s remorse. It’s only money.

Old 09-30-2018   #7
Out to Lunch

Leica M-E. The sensor corroded. Never again.

Old 09-30-2018   #8
Timmyjoe

Picked up a black Nikon F2 with plain prism finder and thought I would love it. It had shutter problems and went for repairs multiple times. Took over a year to finally get sorted out, and by that time, I loathed picking it up and using it. So I gave it away. No regrets.

Best,
-Tim

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 09-30-2018   #9
tbhv55

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlees View Post
The Fuji X100. Thought "this is it; the perfect digital camera!" I just couldn't get on with it. The only camera I have bought brand new, as well. Went back to film with my tail between my legs. Sold it at quite a loss, but wasn't using it and getting something for it is better than waiting for the inevitable and steep digital devaluation.
I had a similar experience with the x100... but only at first. There certainly were some teething problems with the x100 in the first couple of years. Most were fixed over time in firmware updates, while the SAB (sticking aperture blade) problem was fixed by a return visit to Fuji. Eventually the camera was working better, but by that time, I'd lost a little faith in it, and it languished in a cupboard for quite a while. Eventually, on a whim, I started using it again, and suddenly... it was FUN!

What's more, that hasn't changed - despite having owned it since it came out in 2011.

Old 09-30-2018   #10
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier

Exakta VX1000,

Horrible ergonomics.

Lens focus jammed, frame counter failed before first test roll of film could go through.

Made a Praktica LTL camera look like the Rolls Royce of cameras.

Old 09-30-2018   #11
santino
eXpect me

5D Mark II. It works flawlessly but I don't likr its ergonomics and the pictures it produces. On the other hand no digital camera was able to satisfy me.

Old 09-30-2018   #12
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmattock View Post
What about your regrets?
My latest regret... the Fujifilm XF10. It is not up to par with my other Fujifilm cameras such as the X-E3, X100F, and X-Pro2. Not even close. It isn`t the IQ...it is the AF. It feels like a Fuji from 5-7 years ago. I think I would have been better off getting a new iPhone. Haha.

Old 09-30-2018   #13
johannielscom
Ich bin ein Barnacker

The Leica M8. And I also regret trading in an excellent Nikon D300 kit and a Leica M3 to get said M8.
Sold it after 6 months and never even touched a digital RF since.

About a year and a half ago I tried an X-T1. Again, traded Nikon kit in for it. The X-T1 was returned to the shop within 3 weeks.

My solution now: stay away from Nikon gear!

I write vintage gear reviews on www.johanniels.com |

flickr | instagram |

Old 09-30-2018   #14
ptpdprinter

I regret having spent the money to have my father's Exakta VXII repaired in 1973 rather than putting the money toward a modern camera. Penny wise and pound foolish. The repairs didn't last and six months later I ended up with a Pentax SP500. Obviously I didn't learn my lesson a few years later when I shifted to Olympus. I bought an OM10 with manual adapter. I ended up trading it for an Olympus OM1 shortly thereafter. I still have the OM1. That was a purchase I don't regret.

Old 09-30-2018   #15
NickTrop

I'd have to say the Olympus XZ-2. I had the XZ-1, which I think is a nice little "take anywhere" camera with a crackin' little zoom lens. I heard the XZ-2 was better and had an articulated screen. I prefered the output of the little XZ-1' s CCD sensor (XZ2 switched to CMOS) and never really used the XZ-2's flip screen, just added bulk.

It's not a bad camera -- a tad (maybe 1/2-stop) better in low light over its predecesor, just think the original was better.

Old 09-30-2018   #16
Pioneer

I have had one or two regrets but that certainly isn't many considering how many cameras I have owned (and still own.)

I think the Contarex and the Nikon F rank up there as regrets. Not because they aren't good cameras, they really are very good cameras. I picked each one up because of their great reputation and the wonderful lenses each can use. But once I started using them I began to realize just what neck-breaking monsters they are to pack around. I just find it amazing that people would pay that much for something that huge that did not take any better pictures than my little Leica III. They are larger and heavier then a number of my medium format cameras, which provide much better image quality.

Ahh well, to each his own I guess. Obviously there is something there because people are still paying huge prices for monstrously large digital cameras that have certainly not shrunk at all.

It is almost as good as a fast horse!
Dan

Old 09-30-2018   #17
RichC

Another for Leica M8 regret.

Trash. And Leica conned me - I was persuaded by the lifetime upgrade that they later dropped. And months needed to repair it when it broke.

I've never owned such an unreliable camera, nor dealt with a more incompetent, arrogant company. Will never buy another new Leica product, and I warn off friends and colleagues.

-=Rich=-

Portfolio: www.richcutler.co.uk

Old 09-30-2018   #18
Godfrey
somewhat colored

I never regret anything. If I buy a camera and it doesn't work for me, I either return it within a couple of days or sell it off quickly. I consider it a learning experience..

Hasn't happened in a while.

Old 09-30-2018   #19
Dogman

The only regrettable purchase I can recall right now was a Nikon F3 with the then-new MD motor drive. Bought it right after it was introduced without hesitation since I had lots of experience using F and F2 models. If anyone could build a reliable, dependable, rugged camera with electronics controlling the shutter, it had to be Nikon.

It was a POS. It was poorly weather sealed and stopped working every time I tried shooting outdoors in a light mist or a snow. Sent it to Nikon Professional Services a few times but they saw nothing wrong with it. They had a solution, however. They offered to sell me an updated model with better weather sealing at full retail price. I declined and went back to using F2's.

Old 09-30-2018   #20
JeffS7444

A number of years ago, I let myself be talked into buying a Leica Noctilux 50/1 lens on speculation when I really wanted something something much more modest for my own use. I did eventually make a decent profit reselling the lens a few years later, but it felt more like a relief than a win.

Old 09-30-2018   #21
bmattock

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTrop View Post
I'd have to say the Olympus XZ-2. I had the XZ-1, which I think is a nice little "take anywhere" camera with a crackin' little zoom lens. I heard the XZ-2 was better and had an articulated screen. I prefered the output of the little XZ-1' s CCD sensor (XZ2 switched to CMOS) and never really used the XZ-2's flip screen, just added bulk.

It's not a bad camera -- a tad (maybe 1/2-stop) better in low light over its predecesor, just think the original was better.
I'd love to hear more about the ZX-1. What makes it special to you? Thanks!

Old 09-30-2018   #22
JeffS7444

I wonder if a Fujifilm GFX50R could wind up as a future regret

Not because of quality, which I suspect will be great. But because I already feel hardware-wealthy, and I don't know that a bigger sensor and shallower DOF will make my photos of peeling paint and backlit trees any more soulful.

Old 09-30-2018   #23
Peter Jennings

Had a Werra III for a minute. The designers were really on to something with this camera. For a 50s rangefinder, it had a sleek and modern design. Sadly, in use it felt like the East German bean counters sucked all the potential joy out of the camera. Probably a disappointment as much as a regret.

Old 10-01-2018   #24
bulevardi

I once had a Craphy lens and .... oh well, no one would believe this story.

Old 10-01-2018   #25
zuikologist

I must agree that the Q with adapted lenses is a pain, unless on a tripod with a tele lens when it is pretty awesome with 5x magnification factor. Much better and more fun with the standard and zoom AF lenses. The whole package fits in a pocket and with careful use the quality is fine for something so small. The large DOF works well for street photography.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmattock View Post
Absolutely, every camera finds a different appreciative audience. I definitely do not think the Pentax Q10 was my cup of tea, but I have no problems believing it is just the thing for others.

I agree that some cameras are quite difficult to love, sometimes due to ergonomics. I have managed to learn to hold a Contax/Kiev, but that 'claw' method of holding it just isn't for me. I find the camera interesting and the lenses stunning, but I just don't pick it up often. I've known a few others like that as well. Sometimes to my disappointment because I liked them well in other ways, but they're not pleasant for me to hold or use.

Old 10-01-2018   #26
zuikologist

Haha ! (10 characters)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulevardi View Post
I once had a Craphy lens and .... oh well, no one would believe this story.

Old 10-01-2018   #27
bmattock

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuikologist View Post
I must agree that the Q with adapted lenses is a pain, unless on a tripod with a tele lens when it is pretty awesome with 5x magnification factor. Much better and more fun with the standard and zoom AF lenses. The whole package fits in a pocket and with careful use the quality is fine for something so small. The large DOF works well for street photography.
So there's the thing - the idea of the Q was size. Pocketable. A camera and a couple lenses, toss 'em in your pocket and go have fun. To get a decent focus? Tripod. Kind of defeats the purpose to me. If I have to carry a tripod, I might just as well bring the big(ger) guns.

And really, even with careful use, I just could not get past the low-quality images it made - at least for me. Even with the kit lens, basic shooting, a simple Olympus or Nikon or Panasonic point-n-shoot produced cleaner images to my eye.

I am a huge Pentax fan. I really, really, wanted to like the Q10. I still have it. I may take it out again and give it another chance at some point. But I tend to doubt it.

Not putting it down if others like it - far from it. Just saying I regret buying it, and that's unusual for me.

Old 10-01-2018   #28
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_F_NM View Post
I have had a little bit of buyer's remorse or hesitation about a purchase regarding many cameras but eventually learned that I loved most of them.
Except one.
The Leica M9.
I won't go on here about my experience with this camera and the company, as I've already taken up a lot of space in other threads here at RFF regarding this matter. Above all others though, the time with the M9 is time I wish I could get back, no question about it.

Phil Forrest
Yeah, same deal with my M-E.
Which is why I view the current day Leica as a company that caters to collectors not photographers.

Old 10-01-2018   #29
charjohncarter

Canon AF35M was my big regret. Cheap plastic, semi-lousy lens, eats batteries (I had to change out with every use, unless I used the flash then I had to change mid-roll), AF didn't work very well.

A camera that I really like and still have and use but I wish I didn't get involved is the Olympus 35RC. To me, it has the perfect (almost) set up, but I feel like when I use it something is going to fail or break.

Old 10-01-2018   #30
Benjamin Marks

LOL. In general, only regret cameras that I didn't purchase. Actually come to think of it, there are a few digital cameras that I never got on with and which have devalued to zero or near-zero without ever getting a memorable picture out of them. The Sony NEX-5 and A6000 come to mind.

And I do have a Nikon S2 that I bought in my transition to digital. I fondled it a bit but haven't developed a single roll of film out of it. Now that's just sad.

Old 10-01-2018   #31
Steve Bellayr

Nikon D1. Too heavy. I did not like the color rendition. Did not like the cropped frame size.

Old 10-03-2018   #32
seany65

I regret buying my first and third Agfa Ambi Silettes. Both had trouble with the 1 second to 1/15 speeds. The first one had speeds that were just too slow, which I think was a timing mechanism issue (I'm guessing here, wouldn't want anyone to think I know what I'm talking about ) and the second had a shutter with leaves that started to close normally, but then half-way through almost stopped and then very slowly closed.

The tech. the first was sent to couldn't fix it and I didn't want to waste time and money trying to see if the second one could be fixed.

if you're wondering what happened to Ambi number two, it looked to me like it had fungus in the viewfinder, which didn't really surprise me as two of the three lenses it came with also had fungus. I d regret buying it, but the problems this one had wasn't Agfa's fault.

Old 10-03-2018   #33
SolaresLarrave
My M5s need red dots!

Fuji digital cameras. I first had a Fuji X100 (right before the X100s) but didn't quite warm up to it. I didn't like the color palette, ergonomics or anything much; I always have preferred Nikon for digital. Sold it.

But then, I wanted a small digital to carry instead of the Nikon D700 and big glass, so when the X-Pro2 came up, I purchased a new X-Pro1 for a nice price...

Same story... I only took that camera on one trip; it's been in the cupboard for a long time... Some times I think about selling it, some times I think about giving it a second chance, but I'm never really happy about it.
My Nikon D700 Neophyte's Guide

Old 10-03-2018   #34
B-9
Devin Bro

I regret ever getting drawn into the Hasselblad wide bodies.

2 different cameras from different sellers, one a SWC another a SWCm both junk.

My hasselblad experiences have been bad to say the least, ask the 500c paperweight on my desk.

All in all it was fun if anything.

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram

Old 10-03-2018   #35
aizan

i sympathize, b-9.

here's my recipe for regret:

1) spend a lot of money on a camera that turns out not to be in good condition
2) spend more money to get it repaired and CLA'd, unsuccessfully
3) sell it at a loss to avoid having to look at it with bitterness

not doing that again!

Old 10-03-2018   #36
raid
Dad Photographer

I am not so sure that I should have bought the Nikon S3 2000. I still have not used it once since several years.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 10-03-2018   #37
narsuitus

I regret purchasing my first "professional" 35mm SLR ... a Miranda Sensorex. It failed me three times within the first two years of its three-year warrantee. The last time it failed was when I was hundreds of feet in the air covering the maiden voyage of a new university airplane. I immediately dumped the Sensorex and replaced it with a borrowed Pentax Spotmatic and a purchased Nikon F. Both proved to be more reliable.

Old 10-03-2018   #38
Pioneer

It is a fact that everyone experiences things differently. My own experiences with the Pentax Q system have been the total opposite of the OP's experiences. In fact, outside of my Methuselah ist DL2, the original Q and the follow up Q7 are far and away my most used digital cameras.

I must admit that I have a hard time taking myself too seriously when I am packing (is that even the right word for these cameras) these diminutive little fellows around. But for me this is a wonderful and very versatile system.

I love the 06 f2.8 zoom on the Q and the O8 Wide Zoom on the Q7. Carrying both cameras with these lenses, along with a pocketful of batteries (they are very small so one can't reasonably expect them to last very long after all) is hardly enough to count as really carrying any camera at all.

Not only do I have a hard time taking myself seriously, no one else takes me seriously either. I don't even have to be sneaky on the street with these things. I walk right up to someone, smile, and stick one of these little cameras in their face and press the shutter. The only time I have ever had anyone get upset is when the flash went off once. I have since learned to shut it off.

Sometimes it is all about expectations.

It is almost as good as a fast horse!
Dan

Old 10-03-2018   #39
DanskDynamit

I regret buying the Fuji X100, what a piece of crap. Sold it after a week.

Old 10-03-2018   #40
FrozenInTime

X100F was a camera I should have liked but after two months it was sold and replaced with a TL2 which was far quicker to use thanks to the clean UI.

Q7 no regrets once I got a 01 standard prime lens on it.
It's the weird colour scheme that freaks me. Every time you try to operate one of these weird black controls, which are labeled in black on a black background, a small black light lights up black to let you know you've done it.