Enhancing the value of an M3 (or not)
Old 03-12-2019   #1
Ron Montad

Enhancing the value of an M3 (or not)

The vulcanite is peeling off my M3. I have two options:

(1) Replace it with the "official" Leica OEM vulcanite, which I believe is not really vulcanite; or

(2) Replace it with a nice blue or perhaps burgundy leather cover.

Option #2 is what I personally would like, but would this enhance or hurt the resale value of this camera?

Old 03-12-2019   #2
Timmyjoe

My own experience, the blue cover lowered the price in resale. I found a pristine, high serial number M3 SS at a steal of a price, and I think the price was so low because it wasn't selling with it's blue skin.

Best,
-Tim

PS: I have since recovered it in black "vulcanite", but you are correct, it is not the same vulcanite as applied by the factory. But it looks fine to my eyes.

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 03-12-2019   #3
LukeBanks

It would only really enhance the value in the eyes of the buyer, should they like the colour.

As for hurting the value, the general rule in any industry is that stock is best. It maximises your audience.

Old 03-12-2019   #4
taemo

Yes, you will limit the interest as not too many user wants a Leica in custom colored leatherette, you will probably have to sell it at a lower price to incite any interest and most likely they will change it to something else.

I have replaced my M3DS with a griptac one, looks natural and improves the grippiness.
http://www.cameraleather.com/leica_m/preview.htm

Old 03-12-2019   #5
Huss

I say it enhances the value. Plus you like it! I have a blue one too, and if I needed to sell it and other people didn't like the blue, I could make it black again for $22.

http://www.aki-asahi.com/store/html/...bble/index.php

https://hugostudio.com/rangefinder--viewfinder.html

Old 03-12-2019   #6
Ron Montad

Is griptac the same product as 3M anti-slip tape?

Old 03-12-2019   #7
Ron Montad

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...8721829&rt=rud

Old 03-12-2019   #8
benlees

Putting a personal twist on a piece of classic tech as a sales pitch is a mistake. As mentioned above this limits the amount of people that maybe interested. Of course, just removing the original vulcanite may hurt its value. If you like blue then put on blue. If you want to sell it later, then put on black. You could hedge your bets and order both at the same time

Old 03-12-2019   #9
peterm1

I agree that it could hurt the resale value. Unless of course you tell potential buyers it was personally reskinned by Henri Cartier Bresson on the advice of Pablo Picasso and was done after an all night drinking session with Robert Capa with the recovering undertaken by Coco Chanel.

This should not deter you from doing it of course if you like it. Reskinning is readily able to be reversed by yourself or by a buyer and a knowledgeable buyer will understand this. It is not like enamelling the camera purple with pink polka dots. But the price will never the less need to reflect this fact and hence be at least a little lower than might otherwise be obtainable.

In selling anything of value when seeking to maximize selling value it is always a mistake to do something that will reduce your potential pool of bidders. And in my estimation this will. But as I say it is not fatal to a sale, it is easily reversed, so if you like it do it.

Old 03-12-2019   #10
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

It sure looks nice, though! Really nice!

Old 03-12-2019   #11
CharlesDAMorgan

If you are doing it to re-sell, then no.

If you want it like that, and come to considering selling it later, as Huss said you can re-skin it for a small sum. No further angst required.

Apart from that have a Rolleiflex 3.5F, the odd Minolta XD7, Hasselblad 500cm, a Topcon Super D and an Intrepid 5x4 large format (not the half of it but I am clearing them out, honest).

I do all my own black and white developing at home.

Old 03-12-2019   #12
Huss

My coloured cameras. If I ever need to change the skins to sell them, easy peasy. In the mean time they are mine!

Old 03-12-2019   #13
Rayt

If you are concerned about re-sale value then keep it as original as possible. This applies to classic cars and motorcycles, watches, whatever. Original Leica OEM covering is not vulcanite. Silly me I had it done when I got my MP. It is the same stuff you get from anywhere and it kept peeling off - 3 times!

Old 03-12-2019   #14
helenhill
Chasing Shadows ... Light

LOVE it Huss !
Beauties and crazy Fun -

Old 03-12-2019   #15
jarski

Agreed with comments on unusual color choices above.

Maybe just me, but as potential buyer, am also little cautious if seller tells he/she changed the leather personally. Not knowing how well they are capable of doing it. Will corners start peeling, is there glue stains that cannot be cleared, etc. Only if the original leather is in very bad shape, I'd change it to try increase price.

Old 03-13-2019   #16
Dan Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Montad View Post
Is griptac the same product as 3M anti-slip tape?

No. It is thinner. Also a smoother overall feel. The 'bump' part of GripTac is basically flat on top, nothing like sandpaper or grit. The anti-slip comes more from the edges of each bump stopping a finger, not a bump stopping a shoe sole.

Old 03-13-2019   #17
DanskDynamit

I have grey griptac on my Oly Trip 35, it looks ok but for a M3 I would prefer either the original looking black or Cameraleather's Mahogany.

Old 03-13-2019   #18
Archlich

Those who are interested in a colored camera won't expect to pay extra for the leather. Others are simply turned away.

So it'll be a loss in total resale value, unless you've got an unknowing hipster buyer...

Old 03-13-2019   #19
WJJ3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Montad View Post
The vulcanite is peeling off my M3.
I wonder if the covering on your M3 is original? I donít think Iíve seen original M3 covering peel off. It usually starts to chip off the corners and at the bottom of the mount.

I would say if you are worried about resale value have a qualified professional do the work and save the invoice and receipt. These documents will help your camera retain a higher resale value.

Flickr

Old 03-13-2019   #20
Pioneer

I think it looks absolutely gorgeous but it would never work for me. I do way too much gardening and mechanic work so If I did that it would be dirty looking in no time just from using it all the time.

Buy a nice looking case and that would probably add more value then the re-skin.

It is almost as good as a fast horse!
Dan

Old 03-13-2019   #21
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJJ3 View Post
I wonder if the covering on your M3 is original? I donít think Iíve seen original M3 covering peel off. It usually starts to chip off the corners and at the bottom of the mount.

I would say if you are worried about resale value have a qualified professional do the work and save the invoice and receipt. These documents will help your camera retain a higher resale value.
The vulcanite literally started to crumble off in my hands on my perfect condition M3SS. It often just happens with age. And on my M3DS, it started to come off under the lens mount and corners. A Leica with chunks of missing vulcanite is worth less than one with a nicely applied cover. Plus Leica charged extra for their A La Carte! And peeps don't mind that.
So think of this as the thinking man/woman's a la carte.

Old 03-13-2019   #22
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archlich View Post
Those who are interested in a colored camera won't expect to pay extra for the leather. Others are simply turned away.

So it'll be a loss in total resale value, unless you've got an unknowing hipster buyer...

People have paid me more for coloured cameras.
Some people like to stand out of the crowd, and are willing to pay for that.

Old 03-13-2019   #23
Beemermark

Vucanite dries out and crumbles. It will only get worse The hard part of putting a new skin on is getting the Vucanite off. Putting the new covering is a breeze. Removing a new covering is also very easy. I can't of anyway you could actually hurt the camera. I've changed the camera skin 2 or 3 times when I got tired of the existing one.

They made over a million M3 cameras. Wouldn't worry too much collectability. Enjoy what you have.

S

Old 03-13-2019   #24
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemermark View Post

They made over a million M3 cameras. Wouldn't worry too much collectability.

S
Unless you have a Huss La Carte version.

(queue the zingers!)

Old 03-14-2019   #25
Ron Montad

After some research I think GripTac might be GT-5000 Grip Tape from guntape.com

Old 03-14-2019   #26
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

I really wonder what is OEM Vulcanite in OP. Just by knowing what vulcanite is.
Baked on in Wetzlar?

I also know what people are just plain stupid these days. How sticky leatherette could affect resale price, if it costs 30$ and 15 minutes to replace...

Old 04-08-2019   #27
Ron Montad

Haha - good point. "OEM Vulcanite" is not really baked rubber, but the covering that Leica uses on their new M cameras. If you want Leica to replace your peeling vulcanite, that's what they will give you. It's an additional $80 if you're having a CLA done.

Perhaps the term "OEM Vulcanite" is a misnomer. There's no such thing. It should be just called "OEM replacement covering".

Old 04-08-2019   #28
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

Put on some shiny red and call it covered by Christian Louboutin. Someone will buy it. Come to think of it, maybe just the bottom plate... I might do this to at least one of my cameras.
For real though, get some Aki Asahi covering and THAT will increase the value of the camera. There is no such thing as real vulcanite anymore since it was a covering of gooey vulcanized rubber with texture. That is why it flakes off, due to age it has chemically dome apart over the last 50-60 years.

Phil Forrest

Old 04-08-2019   #29
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_F_NM View Post
For real though, get some Aki Asahi covering and THAT will increase the value of the camera. ...
You know how cool Aki Asahi is/are? When I ordered the neon pink leather for my Zorki, they included, for free, a brown leather set. I did not ask for it! I guess they did this just in case I came to my senses...
Now that is customer service! (plus their kits always fit perfectly)

Old 04-10-2019   #30
djnato10
M6 Classical

I would not recommend ordering anything from cameraleather.com... The guy never sent my order out and refuses to respond to my emails for a refund. Easiest way to throw away your money.

The Aki Asahi ones are really nice, my only mistake was having DAG put mine on and it seems he never really spent the time to make it hold properly so that one is now peeling off as well. If anyone has any suggestions to make this stay please let me know.

m6classical.com

Old 04-10-2019   #31
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnato10 View Post
I would not recommend ordering anything from cameraleather.com... The guy never sent my order out and refuses to respond to my emails for a refund. Easiest way to throw away your money.

The Aki Asahi ones are really nice, my only mistake was having DAG put mine on and it seems he never really spent the time to make it hold properly so that one is now peeling off as well. If anyone has any suggestions to make this stay please let me know.
I would cut your losses, order a new one from Aki and peel off the old one. They are pretty cheap. The key to making them stick properly is to make sure all the old residue is removed. The body has to be completely clean down to the bare metal.