Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

Same seller
Old 10-08-2012   #241
mynikonf2
OEM

Same seller

I just checked out this sellers other listings & he has another XK camera body (not a Motor), 4 - lens (a 20, 85, 50/macro & 50/1.7) and 2 bellows + a never-ready camera case for the XK. He says this is a continuation of his selling off of his Minolta collection.

“Light scratches consistent with age and wear”

Old 10-08-2012   #242
Harryo1962

Love my 202. My Uncle took his 102 to Nam, and beat the crap out of it without a hitch. Lenses are easy to find, and are sharp. It just feels good to shoot with them, ya know?

Old 10-08-2012   #243
sparrow6224

I'm an XD-7/XD-11 man myself. I also have an x570. My problem with the earlier Minoltas is that they're a bit on the clackety side in terms not only of mirror slap but film advance as well. Using a camera that size I prefer the Nikon F, F2, F3, or the Canon F1. The Minolta glass is great. I recently scored the 200mm f/2. I need to get out and use it more. I have a heavy representation of the automatic cameras of the late 70s: the XD-11 and a very late model XD-7; OM2n; Contax RTSII; Leica R4; Nikon FE. Every time I'm using one of these cameras for a few days I decide it's my favorite and all the rest should go. So far I cannot get rid of any of them.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/commodiusvicus/

Old 10-09-2012   #244
Nokton48

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynikonf2 View Post
I just checked out this sellers other listings & he has another XK camera body (not a Motor), 4 - lens (a 20, 85, 50/macro & 50/1.7) and 2 bellows + a never-ready camera case for the XK. He says this is a continuation of his selling off of his Minolta collection.
I bought his Minolta Copy Stand, Some Lens Wrenches, and his Minolta 21mm F4 lens with Viewfinder. And a like-new Black SRT101 (even had the original box).

Old 10-09-2012   #245
mynikonf2
OEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokton48 View Post
I bought his Minolta Copy Stand, Some Lens Wrenches, and his Minolta 21mm F4 lens with Viewfinder. And a like-new Black SRT101 (even had the original box).
SWEET! You must post some pics of your black 101.

Old 10-10-2012   #246
Nokton48

[quote=Harryo1962;It just feels good to shoot with them, ya know?[/QUOTE]

Yes, I sure do. Like wearing an old, comfortable pair of shoes. Just feels right to me.

Old 10-13-2012   #247
Nokton48

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynikonf2 View Post
SWEET! You must post some pics of your black 101.

mynikonf2,
Here you go. Here's my new MINT black SRT101 body, with my latest lens acquisition, the Minolta 300mm F5.6 MD Rokkor-X. I have recovered the body with Black Griptac from Cameraleather. Found the lens for $69 on Ebay. It will be interesting to test it against my 300mm F4.5 MC Rokkor.
The chrome TomA Classic Softie is a worthwhile addition to any SRT body, IMO. I find the original Minolta eyecup a necessity, as stray light entering the eyepiece -does- make a difference, which is directly observable.

The new body has not a nick or scratch on it, and even still has the import sticker on it. As does the new lens.

I have nearly completed my collection of the annual Minolta house magazine "MINOLTA MIRROR". Still need 1975 (first issue) and 1987, if anyone here has these, I am interested. Highly recommended reading, lovely printing and presentation. Well worth collecting. A fantastic showcase of the very best of Minolta.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (70.1 KB, 36 views)

Old 10-13-2012   #248
mynikonf2
OEM

Nokton48, thanks for posting a photo of your black paint SRT101, a truly rare find in that condition. I must say IMO, your collection of Minoltas is not one that is easily duplicated these days. Finding a model SR-M camera in excellent condition is not so easy, but I'm not sure how you would rate the odds of finding 2 of them? Congrats & thanks for sharing them.

I would like to receive some help from the contributors to this thread by asking you: What is your opinion of the model XD11 as a first & only Minolta camera body? The role for this camera would be to serve as a test platform for a few of the older manual focus Rokkor lens with various B&W film but, without the added expenses associated with the refurbishing of a camera body. Thanks for your help in advance, Mike

Old 10-13-2012   #249
Austintatious

The January 2011 issue of Shutterbug magazine, has an article by Jon Sienkiewicz on the
Minolta XD-11. He worked for Minolta for 30 years and states" it was a masterpiece of technology and a brilliant piece of engineering."
I have one in my collection and it is one of the finest made cameras I have ever used.

RF's : Bessa-R ,FED II, Olympus 35RC , Kiev 4AM,Argus C-3
Other :Minolta XD-11, Minolta SRT102, Pentax Spotmatic ,Nikon N80, Yashica-Mat 124G, Rolleicord Va
Digital :Nikon D7100, Sony NEX 6, Panasonic LX-5

Old 10-14-2012   #250
Tom33

I am running four XD-11s at this time, the camera is marvelous for size and balance, and just works very well. I think it would make a great lens test bed, although for the larger and heavier lenses I find the XE-7 balances better. I like the XE-7 with MC Rokkor 58mm f/1.4 lense for black and white work, it just feels right. For the newer and lighter MC and MD lenses the XD-11 really works too. Both cameras are solid, easy to use cameras and both are around in good using condition for not much money.

Old 10-15-2012   #251
kyonthinh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austintatious View Post
The January 2011 issue of Shutterbug magazine, has an article by Jon Sienkiewicz on the
Minolta XD-11. He worked for Minolta for 30 years and states" it was a masterpiece of technology and a brilliant piece of engineering."
I have one in my collection and it is one of the finest made cameras I have ever used.
Yeah, it's brilliant and it feel so good. When I hold it in my hand, I think it is a rangefinder, not a SLR.

Slide Copying with the SRT202.
Old 10-19-2012   #252
Nokton48

Slide Copying with the SRT202.

Here's my new Minolta Bellows I, with Minolta Focusing Rail and Minolta Slide Copier attached. With the 55mm F1.7 Rokkor I am looking at a strip of Eastman Double X 5222 B&W film, in the film carrier. It looks good through the camera, and sharp about f5.6 into the corners. I am actually contemplating putting my Sony Nex-3 body on this, and doing B&W reversals in Photoshop. A quick and dirty way to create B&W digital images from B&W negatives without scanning them.

I have just finished processing sixteen rolls of B&W film, testing all my new Minolta bodies since their recent overhauls. I am extremely happy to report, that every body is functioning perfectly, in terms of dead-on meters, shutter performance, lens operation (have quite a few of those!) and general operation. The results from all bodies are consistent from body to body, from all my different SRT's, and including my new XK. And all meters agree with my reference meter, which is a Zone VI Pentax Digital I have used for 25 years and totally trust.

Again, nothing like having good working equipment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (72.0 KB, 25 views)

Old 10-19-2012   #253
mynikonf2
OEM

Thanks Austintatious & Tom33 for your feedback on the XD-11 & Tom33 for commenting on the XE-7 also. Your endorsements have helped me to make a decision to purchase the XD-11 as my Minolta lens mount test bed. Everything you mentioned, along with what I have read about this camera seems to point to it being a solid performer with a dependable track record. Thanks again for your input.

Old 10-20-2012   #254
Dirk
Privatier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrow6224 View Post
I have a heavy representation of the automatic cameras of the late 70s: the XD-11 and a very late model XD-7; OM2n; Contax RTSII; Leica R4; Nikon FE. Every time I'm using one of these cameras for a few days I decide it's my favorite and all the rest should go. So far I cannot get rid of any of them.
Sounds spookily like me. I have more 60's and 70's SLRs and rangefinders than you can shake a stick at. I keep telling myself that I'll winnow it all down to "the best" and get rid of the rest, but instead somehow my collection keeps growing. Now I have convinced myself that I'll be collecting "iconic" cameras of the past (e.g., Leica M3, Nikon F, Rolleiflex, Spotmatic, etc.). Hey, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Old 10-21-2012   #255
skibeerr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattco26 View Post
No, by turning a ring on the lens you can actually curve the focus plane of the lens from concave to convex, increasing the depth of field available when shooting a curved object or scene without stopping the lens down. Very cool, very rare. I've never actually seen one in person.
I stand corrected, Have the normal 24mm, had never heard of the variable field focussing one.

Old 10-28-2012   #256
kyonthinh

Finally, my XK along with my laptop arrived in Germany, and I've just bought MD 20 f2.8, cant wait to hold them in my hand.

Old 10-28-2012   #257
Nokton48

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyonthinh View Post
Finally, my XK along with my laptop arrived in Germany, and I've just bought MD 20 f2.8, cant wait to hold them in my hand.
Congrats. Post some pictures here. Love my new XK, mine is working perfectly after it's overhaul at Essex Camera Repair. Figured I'd better get it serviced, while they are still willing to work on it. First three rolls through it look absolutely great.

Just bought a 300-S 2X Teleconverter, for up to 300mm lenses. And now I have all issues of "MINOLTA MIRROR" except for Issue #1 from 1975. Still looking for that one.

My last five lenses needing cleaning are now on their way to John Titterton. I doubt any of them have ever been serviced. John does a great job for a very fair price.

Old 10-28-2012   #258
kyonthinh

I dont live in the States, so I dont know where can service well my XK, too bad.
When I got all of them, I will post, sure .

Old 10-28-2012   #259
Addy101

Quote:
I dont live in the States, so I dont know where can service well my XK, too bad.
You might want to ask here for some German repairers, but I expect Van Manen in the Netherlands will be able to do some work on your camera.

And a picture of the bottom of my SRT:

Old 10-28-2012   #260
kyonthinh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addy101 View Post
You might want to ask here for some German repairers, but I expect Van Manen in the Netherlands will be able to do some work on your camera.

And a picture of the bottom of my SRT:
+100000, wow, you are a great help.

Old 10-28-2012   #261
Dirk
Privatier

Water Colors by FilmFlamMan, on Flickr

SRT-202 w/MC Rokkor 58mm 1.4. Kodak Colorplus 200.

Old 10-29-2012   #262
ath

Quote:
Contact Arlüwa in Cologne. They have long experience with service of Minoltas.

Old 10-29-2012   #263
kyonthinh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ath View Post
Contact Arlüwa in Cologne. They have long experience with service of Minoltas.
Thanks a lot.
The more I use Minolta, the more I love them. I think the time is up, I will acquire a Minolta 35 II rangefinder with 50 f2 super rokkor.

Old 10-29-2012   #264
Nokton48

Quote:
The more I use Minolta, the more I love them.
That is also how I feel.

In the day (back in the 70s) if I could have had back THEN, what I have NOW, I would not have moved to Canon, Nikon, and Leica. I would have STAYED with Minolta.

I'm very happy with what I have. No complaints at all. And I am using these cameras every day.

Old 10-31-2012   #265
kyonthinh

Well, instead of a type II, I bought a Minolta CLE.
Too much for me I think.

Old 11-03-2012   #266
colyn
ישו משיח בנו של אלוהים

I've never cared much for the matte screen of the srT-101 so when I picked up a parts 102 this week I pulled the split screen assembly out and put it in the 101... Didn't even have to adjust for front or back focus..

It make focusing so much easier in dim light..

The Lone Star State....

Leica M2 | M3 x 2 | IIIa x 2 | IIIc | IIIf black dial | Kodak Retina IIIc | Kodak Retina IIIC |

Flickr

My website

My Gallery

Old 11-04-2012   #267
wakarimasen

I'm reading a book called 'Voyage of the "Mir-el-lah"' (read more here)

All of the photographs in the book were taken with a Minolta SRT-101, which has just caused me to read this thread, and fire-up ebay.

Old 11-07-2012   #268
Nokton48

I would like to upgrade the screens in my SRT101s (eventually). The SRT202 screen is brighter by a bit and has a rangefinder.

John Titterton has responded regarding my final shipment of Minolta lenses. Here is his reply, so you can get an idea regarding service charges. Quite reasonable, I think.

Dan,
I have looked at the lenses and this is what I have found:
35mm f2.8 Rokkor X: Cannot improve, NC
35mm f2.8 W.Rokkor: To clean est $25
21mm f4: To clean est $15
21mm F2.8: To clean est $40
200mm f3.5: To clean est $25
Return postage via Priority insured mail: $19
Please let me know what you think.

John

Old 11-13-2012   #269
Nokton48

Hmmmm Nice XK there! I sure am enjoying using mine

My five MC/MD Minolta lenses arrived back from John Titterton today. He did an immaculate perfect job, for a total cost of $124 including shipping and insurance. And he had them completed and shipped out the day after he said he would start working on them. And, his communication is really really excellent. He will get more business from me in the future I'm sure of that.

This weekend picked up another Minolta lens at Columbus Camera Group. They were so friendly and helpful with my Plaubel Makiflex groundglass replacement, that I felt I should buy something more expensive A 300mm F4.5 MD Rokkor-X in decent condition, for $115 Internal focusing and higher speed than my 300mm f5.6 MD Rokkor-X. So now I should do a 300mm shoot-out between the 300mm F4,5 MC, 300mm F5,6 MD, and the 300mm F4.5 MD Rokkor-X. The results would be interesting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (71.1 KB, 17 views)

SRM listing
Old 11-18-2012   #270
mynikonf2
OEM

SRM listing

Found this SRM listing on e-bay if anyone is interested. Not affiliated with seller in any way.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150945663144...84.m1438.l2649

Old 11-25-2012   #271
Nokton48

Here is the "Holy Grail" of Minolta accessories, as far as I am concerned. The only one I have -ever- seen advertised -anywhere-. But unfortunately it is out of my price range, and also, it is missing the "Intermediate Attaching Bracket", which holds the top of the SR-M Battery Grip, to the bottom of the 250 Exposure Back. I doubt I would ever find one of those by itself!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Minolta-250-...item3f1f5cf695

Oh, Well, I am still lusting and lusting over this............... Has two Film Cartridges, too. I have collected four of those extra cartridges, so far

Old 11-30-2012   #272
steveclem

Quote:
Originally Posted by colyn View Post
I've never cared much for the matte screen of the srT-101 so when I picked up a parts 102 this week I pulled the split screen assembly out and put it in the 101... Didn't even have to adjust for front or back focus..

It make focusing so much easier in dim light..
I don't suppose you took pictures of the process? My 101b has a dim view of life through a lens. Are there any alternatives available, anyone?
regards,
Steve

Old 12-01-2012   #273
steveclem

I took the SRt out this morning to finish a roll and found out that I can't seem to get f16 with the lens attached to the body, the lens alone returns f16 but the meter coupling cam prevents this on camera. The cam turns stiffly clockwise and much looser anti-c/w. Is this supposed to be spring loaded to return? I can manually push the body cam either way ,is this just for minimum aperture reading per lens?

Old 12-01-2012   #274
colyn
ישו משיח בנו של אלוהים

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveclem View Post
I don't suppose you took pictures of the process? My 101b has a dim view of life through a lens. Are there any alternatives available, anyone?
regards,
Steve
No photos of the process. It does require removing the galvanometer and prism then releasing string tension of the shutter speed follower before removing 3 screws and carefully lifting out the viewfinder assembly. The hardest part is re-tensioning the follower string and adjusting it for proper working.

I would suggest trying on a parts camera before doing it on the working camera.

The Lone Star State....

Leica M2 | M3 x 2 | IIIa x 2 | IIIc | IIIf black dial | Kodak Retina IIIc | Kodak Retina IIIC |

Flickr

My website

My Gallery

Old 12-01-2012   #275
Pioneer

Perhaps a bit OT but I am looking for a reliable Minolta repair person. I have read several references to John Titterton. Is there a phone number or email address where I can reach him? Of course, anyone else who is really good with Minolta SRT equipment would be just as nice. Thanks in advance for any help.

Never mind. Obviously my spelling was off a bit. The name is Titterington and I believe I have located an email address.

Last edited by Pioneer : 12-01-2012 at 13:29. Reason: Update Message

Old 12-01-2012   #276
steveclem

Ok thanks Colyn. Think I'll pass for now.

Old 12-02-2012   #277
rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
Perhaps a bit OT but I am looking for a reliable Minolta repair person. I have read several references to John Titterton. Is there a phone number or email address where I can reach him? Of course, anyone else who is really good with Minolta SRT equipment would be just as nice. Thanks in advance for any help.

Never mind. Obviously my spelling was off a bit. The name is Titterington and I believe I have located an email address.
Titterington is correct. He will do a good job for you.

Millennium M6TTL with Voigtlander 35/1.2 Nokton

rover's world at flickr

Old 12-02-2012   #278
Nokton48

John Titterington recently overhauled about a dozen of my Rokkor MC's and MD's. Prices ranged $20-$40 per lens, and he had them finished up the next day after starting the job. Quick shipment and great email communication. Excellent attention to detail; the lenses all operate like new now. No looseness anymore, perfectly smooth helicals, very snappy blades. I worked on some of these lenses myself, but it was worth every penny, to have John go over them.

Very Highly Recommended.

Here is John's website:

http://www.geocities.com/~titterington/camera-repair/

Old 12-17-2012   #279
reiki_

Oh, this place serves as a general Minolta thread? Well , then, what is a better starting lens in XD mount, 45/2 or 50/2 (asking just about these two cause they are available to me)? And how does the shutter feel and sound on XD/11/7 compare to Oly' OMs?

Old 12-17-2012   #280
Austintatious

The 45/2 was a kit lens but it's compact and a solid shooter. I like it a lot. As for the 50, I would prefer a 1.7 or a 1.4 even more. As for the shutter, pretty quiet. I have an XD11 &
it is a nice camera !

RF's : Bessa-R ,FED II, Olympus 35RC , Kiev 4AM,Argus C-3
Other :Minolta XD-11, Minolta SRT102, Pentax Spotmatic ,Nikon N80, Yashica-Mat 124G, Rolleicord Va
Digital :Nikon D7100, Sony NEX 6, Panasonic LX-5