Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Help / Feedback forum

Help / Feedback forum This area should address site improvements and help with the forum.

Sellers with 0 Posts
Old 06-10-2018   #1
bayernfan

Sellers with 0 Posts

I was just wondering how other members feel about persons posting to classifieds with zero posts, and in some cases zero feedback and no references. Obviously you've gotta be smart and ask the right questions when dealing with them.

Personally, I don't like dealing with anyone in classifieds that isn't an established member. I see the zero posters as outsiders looking to profit in a community built by trustworthy members.

Old 06-10-2018   #2
Larry Cloetta

Caveat emptor.

Old 06-10-2018   #3
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

PayPal, read about buyer coverage or call and ask.

Old 06-10-2018   #4
Huss

They are paying for the ad so that benefits the site. The rest is as Larry says.

I've had issues with 'established' members on this site, so that means nothing to me anymore.

Old 06-10-2018   #5
bayernfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
I've had issues with 'established' members on this site, so that means nothing to me anymore.
fair enough. i don't know why, but a red flag goes up for me when i see that "0" next to posts.

Old 06-10-2018   #6
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

I won't buy from anyone whose name I don't recognize.

Old 06-10-2018   #7
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayernfan View Post
fair enough. i don't know why, but a red flag goes up for me when i see that "0" next to posts.
I totally get that, and initially I thought 'hey they are mooching off us' but they are paying Stephen, so actually helping the site more than most people!

Old 06-10-2018   #8
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-F View Post
I won't buy from anyone whose name I don't recognize.
That concept failed for me twice on this site. I would have been better off buying from a no-name on ebay as it has painless buyer protections.

Old 06-10-2018   #9
ptpdprinter

Regarding members with zero posts, everyone is new at some point. I don't think is a harbinger of non-trustworthiness. Just ask all the appropriate questions.

Old 06-10-2018   #10
bluesun267

It's funny, but when I see zero posts it makes me feel worse about the seller than zero feedback. If it is something I want I would still communicate with them, see what they have to say, and go from there.

Old 06-10-2018   #11
Steve M.

It used to bother me, but now it doesn't. I figure that w/ Paypal safety features it would be difficult to get scammed. Could be wrong though. Often the 0 post people offer feedback on other forums or eBay. I was once scammed on the classifieds here from someone that had years of posts, and they have not posted since, so having lots of posts don't mean that much.

I get more peeved seeing these "net to me" ads, or the ones that want the buyers to pay their Paypal fees, which is not how that works. I won't pay a seller's fees, and if someone doesn't have enough sense to simply bump their price up a little bit to cover their seller fees, then they don't have enough sense for me to be buying anything from.

Old 06-10-2018   #12
bayernfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M. View Post
I get more peeved seeing these "net to me" ads, or the ones that want the buyers to pay their Paypal fees, which is not how that works. I won't pay a seller's fees, and if someone doesn't have enough sense to simply bump their price up a little bit to cover their seller fees, then they don't have enough sense for me to be buying anything from.
amen. it's like them saying, "buyer protection is an optional adder for you because i'm pinching pennies." i totally disregard sellers that do this.

Old 06-10-2018   #13
davidnewtonguitars
Family Snaps

If the camera is priced significantly higher than the market, and a seller with 0 posts states something like "rare! hard to find!" then it should just sit there.
Shiny things are hard to resist sometimes, it's only money, right?

Everything is great, until I get stung.

Old 06-10-2018   #14
Beemermark

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayernfan View Post
I was just wondering how other members feel about persons posting to classifieds with zero posts, and in some cases zero feedback and no references. Obviously you've gotta be smart and ask the right questions when dealing with them.
A seller has to start somewhere.

Old 09-07-2018   #15
Carterofmars

The several buys I did years ago here on the RFF were problem free and very satisfying. I think this a fairly tight community and trustworthy.

For what it's worth. I wish I could recall the names of the guys I bought from. I think this was in the pre-feedback days.

Old 09-07-2018   #16
raid
Dad Photographer

Buying from a RFF member with posts here did not help me much when I got stuck with a broken item that I bought here. The seller refused to take it back. I lost $400.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 09-07-2018   #17
bayernfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
Buying from a RFF member with posts here did not help me much when I got stuck with a broken item that I bought here. The seller refused to take it back. I lost $400.
there's a seller/buyer feedback post, i would definitely state your complaint there for the benefit of other members.

Old 09-07-2018   #18
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
I've had similar experiences. Which is why ebay is fantastic for buyers (not really for sellers!). Any issue? They take care of it, and you have paypal protection too.
This isn't a bag on this site, it can happen anywhere.

Old 09-07-2018   #19
kshapero
Press the Shutter

Used to feel this way but "It used to bother me, but now it doesn't. I figure that w/ PayPal safety features it would be difficult to get scammed."
Just bought a rig at a rock bottom price from a zero poster. Luckily all went well.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 10-21-2018   #20
iphoenix

What do you do when Paypal (yes, looks like the real one) tells you that your account is to be debited for a purchase not actually made when you never finalized opening it and it holds no money?

Delivery point in the U.S., Value of purchase around $30 and I'm in Australia.

Old 10-21-2018   #21
Steve M.

Call them. You can get their phone number from their website I believe. But.....

I'm not sure what you meant on your post. Are you saying that you do not actually have a paypal account? In that case it's a scam-spoof email and I would not click on the link.

You do not need to have any actual money in a paypal account to make a purchase. They are not a bank (although they like to pretend that they are). To make a purchase with paypal you have to have your bank account and/or credit cars linked to them. When you make your purchase, you designate how you wish to pay for it, and paypal deducts the amount from your bank account, or charges it to your credit card.