Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Help / Feedback forum

Help / Feedback forum This area should address site improvements and help with the forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Some observations
Old 01-28-2018   #1
farlymac
PF McFarland
 
farlymac's Avatar
 
farlymac is offline
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 6,155
Some observations

Okay, one of my biggest beefs has been posters who use large sizes for their photos, which causes the site to go off screen on my CRT monitor. Of course, all that has been rectified since I switched to using my laptop. I've held out as long as I can, but the old desktop is getting too buggy to get anything done with any speed, and I can't upgrade any of the software anymore.

But something that has been puzzling me is sometimes there will be a reply to an old posting, like in the last few minutes, and when I go to read it, that reply is actually months old.

The latest example was today in SLRS/Minolta SrT101 vs Canon AE-1, where it said that Pioneer had replied 16 minutes ago, and it turned out that was actually on Jan 6, 2017.

Is there someone messing around with the forum, using existing replies for some nefarious reason?

PF
__________________
Waiting for the light
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2018   #2
f16sunshine
Moderator
 
f16sunshine's Avatar
 
f16sunshine is offline
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Seattle
Age: 51
Posts: 6,258
Posts that have a Poll will update to the "top of the list" if someone votes in the poll.
This is why sometimes one will see an old thread come up even though the last reply was posted week,months, years ago etc....
The thread you mention is an example of this. Someone voted in the poll.
__________________
Andy
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2018   #3
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.
 
Chriscrawfordphoto's Avatar
 
Chriscrawfordphoto is offline
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana
Age: 43
Posts: 8,891
You still have a CRT? They quit making those 15 years ago!
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2018   #4
Corran
Registered User
 
Corran is offline
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 1,280
And probably set to 800x600 resolution, hence photos at barely 1000px run off the side of the screen...
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2018   #5
lynnb
Registered User
 
lynnb's Avatar
 
lynnb is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sydney
Posts: 8,406
Previously I had posted pictures with maximum 1024 pixels horizontally, but as I understand the forum software re-sizes larger ones to 1024, I've started posting some that are 1920 pixels, on the assumption they'll be downsized on viewing screens on any device, but allow viewers to click on the image if they want to see a larger image.

I'm surprised to hear that isn't the case? Does anyone know more about this?
__________________
Lynn
happiest when shooting 35mm and 120 film
RFF Gallery
Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2018   #6
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot
 
Ko.Fe.'s Avatar
 
Ko.Fe. is offline
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MiltON.ONtario
Posts: 7,123
It was like this for a while.
For those who is not aware. New and beautiful RFF is coming, it was in testing mode for sometime.
If I remember correct it is at .org extension for now.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2018   #7
jonmanjiro
Moderator
 
jonmanjiro's Avatar
 
jonmanjiro is offline
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Yokohama
Posts: 5,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnb View Post
I've started posting some that are 1920 pixels, on the assumption they'll be downsized on viewing screens on any device, but allow viewers to click on the image if they want to see a larger image.
Lynn, FWIW it takes a lot more bandwidth and time to download a thread of 1920 pixel photos than it does to download a thread of 1024 pixel photos. I personally wish people would only post 1024 pixel photos at max and embed a link to a larger version.
__________________
flickr
Instagram
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2018   #8
lynnb
Registered User
 
lynnb's Avatar
 
lynnb is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sydney
Posts: 8,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmanjiro View Post
Lynn, FWIW it takes a lot more bandwidth and time to download a thread of 1920 pixel photos than it does to download a thread of 1024 pixel photos. I personally wish people would only post 1024 pixel photos at max and embed a link to a larger version.
Thanks Jon, I'll re-link to smaller versions.
__________________
Lynn
happiest when shooting 35mm and 120 film
RFF Gallery
Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2018   #9
farlymac
PF McFarland
 
farlymac's Avatar
 
farlymac is offline
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 6,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by f16sunshine View Post
Posts that have a Poll will update to the "top of the list" if someone votes in the poll.
This is why sometimes one will see an old thread come up even though the last reply was posted week,months, years ago etc....
The thread you mention is an example of this. Someone voted in the poll.
Ah, that would explain it. It has been on the Poll type posts now that you mention it. Thanks, Andy.

PF
__________________
Waiting for the light
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2018   #10
farlymac
PF McFarland
 
farlymac's Avatar
 
farlymac is offline
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 6,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscrawfordphoto View Post
You still have a CRT? They quit making those 15 years ago!
I am a bit of a Luddite, Chris, but hey it still works. And I can check shutters on my old cameras. It also has better color than this sorry laptop.

PF
__________________
Waiting for the light
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2018   #11
farlymac
PF McFarland
 
farlymac's Avatar
 
farlymac is offline
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 6,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corran View Post
And probably set to 800x600 resolution, hence photos at barely 1000px run off the side of the screen...
Please, allow me a little respect. I do have it set at 1024, it's just that the Forum takes advantage of the wide screen layout on laptops, and that doesn't fit well on a desktop system, unless I were to upgrade the monitor.

But it's all good now. Well, it will be once I have the external monitor set-up completed. The screen on this laptop is horrible.
__________________
Waiting for the light
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2018   #12
David Hughes
David Hughes
 
David Hughes's Avatar
 
David Hughes is offline
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,372
Hi,


A lot of CRT monitors were brilliant in design and so on and the replacements were a disappointment for a while but now most of them are OK, apart from the weird controls on one of mine.


Regards, David
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2018   #13
Steve M.
Registered User
 
Steve M. is offline
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,325
I miss my CRT monitor. They're certainly big and heavy, but the images from them are soooo much better. Which is why they still use them in high end graphic shops and in the medical field. A Lacie monitor is a top notch monitor.

I am still trying to puzzle out the statement that photos run off the op's monitor. Sure, a laptop generally has a wider screen, but images are sized to fit monitors, and a longish monitor will simply crop the vertical down. You won't get anything additional on the horizontal.
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2018   #14
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.
 
Chriscrawfordphoto's Avatar
 
Chriscrawfordphoto is offline
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana
Age: 43
Posts: 8,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M. View Post
I miss my CRT monitor. They're certainly big and heavy, but the images from them are soooo much better. Which is why they still use them in high end graphic shops and in the medical field. A Lacie monitor is a top notch monitor.

I am still trying to puzzle out the statement that photos run off the op's monitor. Sure, a laptop generally has a wider screen, but images are sized to fit monitors, and a longish monitor will simply crop the vertical down. You won't get anything additional on the horizontal.

I remember when my last CRT died. It was an NEC Spectraview, made for graphics work. I replaced it with an NEC Spectraview LCD. The LCD cost 4 times as much and wasn't as accurate, and that was one of the best LCDs available for graphics work back then. I'd have gotten another CRT but no one was making them anymore.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2018   #15
seany65
Registered User
 
seany65 is offline
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,043
Going 'off-topic' from the CRT stuff, but still 'on-topic' of 'Observations', I have just been reminded that when someone logs in and they have a new pm they are told about it straight away, (which is good), and answer it, it stops any "New Posts" showing up when we click on the "New Posts" tab.

Is there any way of stopping this happening?
__________________
An ever-growing amount of photo-stuff and a never-growing amount of photo-talent.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2018   #16
ptpdprinter
Registered User
 
ptpdprinter is offline
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by farlymac View Post
Okay, one of my biggest beefs has been posters who use large sizes for their photos, which causes the site to go off screen on my CRT monitor. Of course, all that has been rectified since I switched to using my laptop. I've held out as long as I can, but the old desktop is getting too buggy to get anything done with any speed, and I can't upgrade any of the software anymore.

But something that has been puzzling me is sometimes there will be a reply to an old posting, like in the last few minutes, and when I go to read it, that reply is actually months old.

The latest example was today in SLRS/Minolta SrT101 vs Canon AE-1, where it said that Pioneer had replied 16 minutes ago, and it turned out that was actually on Jan 6, 2017.

Is there someone messing around with the forum, using existing replies for some nefarious reason?

PF
It updates every time someone answers a poll question even if they don't make a post.
__________________
ambientlightcollection.com
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2018   #17
Sega
Registered User
 
Sega is offline
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Stevenage
Posts: 119
I get the glitch too where it flags the star as a new post but its old, I think is just a bug in the software.

As for the CRT the resolution is too low for definate, chances are though just changing the monitor wont solve it if its an older machine as the Graphics card or onboard chip set may not support a higher res.

If people want to find them try Gaming sources, especially ones that specialise in Retro or Arcade Games as a lot of them will track them down for stuff like Light Gun games or older stuff where the aspect ratio or graphics are distorted on an LCD.
I've swapped most of my stuff to LCD but still keep my CRT TV for when I want to fire up House of The Dead.
__________________
Those aren't left over screws, that's weight reduction.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 17:15.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.