Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Coffee With Mentors > Chris Crawford

Chris Crawford I am pleased to announced a long time member has agreed to help and mentor others in photographic technique. As he has long done so, perhaps this forum is a bit overdue. Christopher Crawford has been a professional artist and photographer for 20 years, most of that time spent documenting life in northern Indiana with his photographs and the stories that he writes to accompany them. In addition, Chris also creates tutorials where he teaches photography techniques, film processing, digital editing, film scanning, and printing. Ask Chris your technical questions, or to critique your photos. You can see more of his tutorials at http://crawfordphotoschool.com

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 4 Days Ago   #121
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.
 
Chriscrawfordphoto's Avatar
 
Chriscrawfordphoto is offline
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana
Age: 44
Posts: 9,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by farlymac View Post
Oh, and I ordered an E39 model Elmar 90/4, so my A36 version will be expendable. If it's any good (haven't test shot it yet, but it looks clean), I'll send it your way, Chris.


PF



Phil sent me his extra 90mm a few days before Christmas, and I began shooting with it right away! Unfortunately, I'm so far behind in getting stuff scanned that I didn't get any of the photos I shot with the 90s scanned until last night. These three photos are from the first two rolls of film that I shot with it.


I love the lens! Thanks again, Phil













The two houses in the photos above are both located on Mulberry Street in the small town of Churubusco, Indiana. I photographed them on December 20th, 2019.






This building is in downtown Fort Wayne, Indiana. It was moved last year to its current location on the southeast corner of Harrison Street and Superior Street last year. It had been on the north side of Superior Street before that.
  Reply With Quote

Old 4 Days Ago   #122
helenhill
Mod Chasing Shadows Light
 
helenhill's Avatar
 
helenhill is offline
Join Date: May 2008
Location: New Yawk
Posts: 5,643
Always loved your film work...sooo GOOD !
beautiful tonal range, refined , elegant Yum
__________________
Flickr.

________________________
  Reply With Quote

Old 4 Days Ago   #123
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.
 
Chriscrawfordphoto's Avatar
 
Chriscrawfordphoto is offline
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana
Age: 44
Posts: 9,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenhill View Post
Always loved your film work...sooo GOOD !
beautiful tonal range, refined , elegant Yum



Thanks, Helen. Its been fun shooting film again!
  Reply With Quote

Old 4 Days Ago   #124
farlymac
PF McFarland
 
farlymac's Avatar
 
farlymac is offline
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 6,322
You're quite welcome, Chris. I knew you could put it to good use.


PF
__________________
Waiting for the light
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Days Ago   #125
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.
 
Chriscrawfordphoto's Avatar
 
Chriscrawfordphoto is offline
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana
Age: 44
Posts: 9,127










I recently got a good deal on an old all-chrome Canon 50mm f1.8 LTM lens, which I am very impressed with. The resolution across the whole frame, even at wider apertures, is much better than the Summitar; that works better for my work, which is largely architectural. I also like the wide focusing ring; easier for me to use than the little focus tab on the Summitar.


These are my first shots with it. These scenes are on Lower Huntington Road in the Waynedale area of Fort Wayne, Indiana. Waynedale was once a small town, but was absorbed by Fort Wayne in 1957. Though it has been part of the larger city 63 years, it still looks like a small town. Lower Huntington Road was Waynedale's "Main Street." I grew up in Waynedale and moved back here a few years ago.
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Days Ago   #126
farlymac
PF McFarland
 
farlymac's Avatar
 
farlymac is offline
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 6,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscrawfordphoto View Post




I recently got a good deal on an old all-chrome Canon 50mm f1.8 LTM lens, which I am very impressed with. The resolution across the whole frame, even at wider apertures, is much better than the Summitar; that works better for my work, which is largely architectural. I also like the wide focusing ring; easier for me to use than the little focus tab on the Summitar.


These are my first shots with it. These scenes are on Lower Huntington Road in the Waynedale area of Fort Wayne, Indiana. Waynedale was once a small town, but was absorbed by Fort Wayne in 1957. Though it has been part of the larger city 63 years, it still looks like a small town. Lower Huntington Road was Waynedale's "Main Street." I grew up in Waynedale and moved back here a few years ago.

More fine photos, Chris.



I really liked my somewhat newer version (with the black body and wide focus ring), but it hazed over again after I cleaned it out. The older lenses (Serenars and the no-name chrome bodies) don't have that issue, which makes them a better buy.


I do have an f2.8 black body version that doesn't have the haze issue, and as I recall did fine against the Yashica 50/2.8, so it might find it's way onto the IIIf at times after I get the shutter replaced.


PF
__________________
Waiting for the light
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Days Ago   #127
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.
 
Chriscrawfordphoto's Avatar
 
Chriscrawfordphoto is offline
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana
Age: 44
Posts: 9,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by farlymac View Post
More fine photos, Chris.



I really liked my somewhat newer version (with the black body and wide focus ring), but it hazed over again after I cleaned it out. The older lenses (Serenars and the no-name chrome bodies) don't have that issue, which makes them a better buy.


I do have an f2.8 black body version that doesn't have the haze issue, and as I recall did fine against the Yashica 50/2.8, so it might find it's way onto the IIIf at times after I get the shutter replaced.


PF

That's why I bought a Chrome Canon 50/1.8. I'd read a lot about the haze problems with the black lenses and didnt want to deal with it. I've seen some claim that the black 50/1.8 is sharper than the chrome one, but I can't imagine how it could be any better than the one I have, which is incredibly good. They're supposed to have the same optical design anyway.


I also have a chrome Canon 135mm f4. That's one of the lenses that O.C. gave me with the Leica IIIf. It is also incredibly sharp.
  Reply With Quote

Old 2 Days Ago   #128
farlymac
PF McFarland
 
farlymac's Avatar
 
farlymac is offline
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 6,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscrawfordphoto View Post
That's why I bought a Chrome Canon 50/1.8. I'd read a lot about the haze problems with the black lenses and didnt want to deal with it. I've seen some claim that the black 50/1.8 is sharper than the chrome one, but I can't imagine how it could be any better than the one I have, which is incredibly good. They're supposed to have the same optical design anyway.


I also have a chrome Canon 135mm f4. That's one of the lenses that O.C. gave me with the Leica IIIf. It is also incredibly sharp.

Same design, but different glass, and therein lies the reason for the hazing. Leica had the same issue when they used some special glass for one of the elements in an early version of the 50mm Summicron if I have the facts straight. It tended to absorb water, and was impossible to keep clean.


PF
__________________
Waiting for the light
  Reply With Quote

Old 2 Days Ago   #129
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.
 
Chriscrawfordphoto's Avatar
 
Chriscrawfordphoto is offline
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana
Age: 44
Posts: 9,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by farlymac View Post
Same design, but different glass, and therein lies the reason for the hazing. Leica had the same issue when they used some special glass for one of the elements in an early version of the 50mm Summicron if I have the facts straight. It tended to absorb water, and was impossible to keep clean.


PF



Interesting. I didn't know any glass could absorb water. I'll stick to the chrome lenses from Canon then. Both of mine are great.




Here's another photo from the 90mm Elmar:







A Christmas decoration on a garage behind an old house in Fort Wayne.
  Reply With Quote

Old 1 Day Ago   #130
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.
 
Chriscrawfordphoto's Avatar
 
Chriscrawfordphoto is offline
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana
Age: 44
Posts: 9,127


A low-light shot!



Scout is one of the two cats at Hyde Brothers Books in Fort Wayne, Indiana. She used to be really thin, though her long hair made her look fluffy. In the last year or so before I made this photograph of her, she began to gain weight and is now quite fat, just like the other cat who lives at the store.


Leica IIIf and 50mm f2 Summitar on Ilford Delta 3200 at EI-3200.
  Reply With Quote

Old 1 Day Ago   #131
Erik van Straten
Registered User
 
Erik van Straten's Avatar
 
Erik van Straten is offline
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 8,675
Leica III black and nickel, Color Skopar 50mm f/2.5, printed on Adox MCC 110.

Erik.

  Reply With Quote

Old 1 Day Ago   #132
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.
 
Chriscrawfordphoto's Avatar
 
Chriscrawfordphoto is offline
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana
Age: 44
Posts: 9,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik van Straten View Post
Leica III black and nickel, Color Skopar 50mm f/2.5, printed on Adox MCC 110.

Erik.




Nice shot. I love the results I have seen from that lens on RFF. Its too bad they're so hard to find at a reasonable price now.
  Reply With Quote

Old 1 Day Ago   #133
Erik van Straten
Registered User
 
Erik van Straten's Avatar
 
Erik van Straten is offline
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 8,675
Same lens, same camera:


  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:20.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.