Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica M Lenses and Images

Old 1 Week Ago   #1281
maartenmoerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVIN-XU 愛 forever View Post
There will be a small number of the first batch Replica lenses available within ten days. People will be getting notice in order.

Thank you for your support.
Kevin
Woohaa! I hope that I'm a bit high up on the list! Can't wait to start shooting with it! Also a friend of mine has an original with grub-screw in mint condition, will try do so some shootout on tripod and see comparison!

Old 1 Week Ago   #1282
sreed2006

I like that the lens locator red dot does not stick out too far. The red dot on my Elmarit-M 28/2.8 Aspherical is so large that the lens cannot be mounted on my M3 because the dot runs into the guard around the lens release button, preventing the lens from being turned far enough to mount.

My favorite question is "What does this button do?"

Old 1 Week Ago   #1283
raid
Dad Photographer

Thumbs down

Quote:
Which part of the engraving you mean?
On the front around the lens what is seen when looking at the lens from the front..

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 1 Week Ago   #1284
raid
Dad Photographer

A former post https://flic.kr/p/2gFXY9X

Old 1 Week Ago   #1285
KEVIN-XU 愛 forever
所謂的攝影,就是人生。

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
On the front around the lens what is seen when looking at the lens from the front..
Oh yes, the font engraving of the brass version will be exactly like the other two versions. The maker didn't mention that the brass version will have different engraving.

Kevin

When a man cannot choose he ceases to be a man...

所謂的攝影,就是人生。
---荒木經惟

https://www.instagram.com/kevinxbegin/

Old 1 Week Ago   #1286
raid
Dad Photographer

So it will be white lettering. Thanks.

UPDATE on the future batches of the Replica 8-element.
Old 1 Week Ago   #1287
KEVIN-XU 愛 forever
所謂的攝影,就是人生。

Post UPDATE on the future batches of the Replica 8-element.

First of all, thank you so much for all the forum members here who support this project. And thank you for your patient. The maker is trying his best to complete the orders that been placed before us. They are the very first group of people who support the project. In the process, his technical team is also continuously accumulating manufacturing experience.

As more and more people are sending messages to me expressing their interest in buying the replica 8-element after we stopped receiving orders, I have asked the maker about his plan on future batches. Like I said before, the flint lead glass becomes very hard to find in China nowadays as the new Environmental Protection Law of the People's Republic of China been released in 2015. The law restricted the manufacturing of the lead glass. But some facilities are still manufacturing flint lead glass for particular purposes. The maker is able to source this glass from those facilities, but the cost will be higher. So I got confirmation that the future batches will have a higher price due to this reason.

In fact, regardless of the increase in manufacturing costs, the maker initially planned to sell the lens at the lowest possible price to thank the first group of the customers who are willing to support them. And then, return to the regular price after the first batch is sold.

Kevin

所謂的攝影,就是人生。
---荒木經惟

Old 1 Week Ago   #1288
KEVIN-XU 愛 forever
所謂的攝影,就是人生。

Quote:
Yes! Just like the other two versions that been shown.

所謂的攝影,就是人生。
---荒木經惟

Old 1 Week Ago   #1289
raid
Dad Photographer

This is very thoughtful by the maker, Kevin. I signed up quickly for this project to get a lens that was made with the Flint Glass.

It seems that current bee-bay asking prices for a Summicron 8 elements range from $1300-$2500, whether goggles or no goggles

Old 1 Week Ago   #1290
KEVIN-XU 愛 forever
所謂的攝影,就是人生。

Quote:
This is very thoughtful by the maker, Kevin. I signed up quickly for this project to get a lens that was made with the Flint Glass.

It seems that current bee-bay asking prices for a Summicron 8 elements range from $1300-$2500, whether goggles or no goggles

Haha. Good move, Raid. I promised you that the first batch is already set at the lowest price that you can get. The first batch is special.

I keep tracking the Summicron 8-element prices for two years already. Now the price range is from $1300-$3700 depends on its version and condition.

Kevin

所謂的攝影,就是人生。
---荒木經惟

Old 1 Week Ago   #1291
alex.wheatley

Thank you Kevin for organising this it looks fantastic, we are all very excited to receive the lens! How long do you think it will take to fulfil the orders of the first batch - not sure where I am on the list but it would be nice to know what time frames you think we are looking at even if at the back of the list?

Old 1 Week Ago   #1292
Deardorff38

Quote:
Raid, If you look at the all the photos... the prototype lens lettering is a different colour. On the production lens.... the word China is in red...the other letters in white. Around the base of the lens...the lettering is in white

Old 1 Week Ago   #1293
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deardorff38 View Post
Raid, If you look at the all the photos... the prototype lens lettering is a different colour. On the production lens.... the word China is in red...the other letters in white. Around the base of the lens...the lettering is in white
Thanks! It occurred to me that the prototype lens may be different. I will take what I get here. So there will be a mix of red, white (on black) and brass on the barrel.

Old 1 Week Ago   #1294
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
Haha. Good move, Raid. I promised you that the first batch is already set at the lowest price that you can get. The first batch is special.

I keep tracking the Summicron 8-element prices for two years already. Now the price range is from $1300-$3700 depends on its version and condition.

Kevin
I have a near mint condition Summicron with goggles. I even have its original box and original 35mm VF in the box with wrapping paper from leica.

Old 1 Week Ago   #1295
KEVIN-XU 愛 forever
所謂的攝影,就是人生。

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.wheatley View Post
Thank you Kevin for organising this it looks fantastic, we are all very excited to receive the lens! How long do you think it will take to fulfil the orders of the first batch - not sure where I am on the list but it would be nice to know what time frames you think we are looking at even if at the back of the list?
Currently, the replica 8-element will only available in small quantities. The first small group of the lenses will be ready in ten days as far as I know. And then after the spring festival in China, manufacture will continue.

Kevin

所謂的攝影,就是人生。
---荒木經惟

Old 1 Week Ago   #1296
vincentbihler

Woow, hehe, selfishly hope to be in the first group hahaha

Old 1 Week Ago   #1297
raid
Dad Photographer

We are all "selfish" here! I will use my "new Summicron"-replica on the M9.

Old 1 Week Ago   #1298
KEVIN-XU 愛 forever
所謂的攝影,就是人生。

Quote:
I have a near mint condition Summicron with goggles. I even have its original box and original 35mm VF in the box with wrapping paper from leica.
Good for you Raid. It could worth a lot nowadays.

所謂的攝影,就是人生。
---荒木經惟

Old 1 Week Ago   #1299
rudobra

Quote:
Currently, the replica 8-element will only available in small quantities. The first small group of the lenses will be ready in ten days as far as I know. And then after the spring festival in China, manufacture will continue.

Kevin

Does it mean our time has come ?

Old 1 Week Ago   #1300
KEVIN-XU 愛 forever
所謂的攝影,就是人生。

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudobra View Post
Does it mean our time has come ?

Yes, at least for some of the people who commit to ordering it at the early stage. Don't worry. I have words from the maker. I will make sure everyone who is on the buying list will get their copies.

所謂的攝影,就是人生。
---荒木經惟

Old 6 Days Ago   #1301
teddy
Jose Morales

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiemchacsu View Post
I already have 2 35mm lense
the summaron and v4 Summicron
haha
I used to have 4 Summaron 35/2.8. Never parted with my Summicron 35/2 Type 1. And I have a Voigtlander 35/2.5...

Old 6 Days Ago   #1302
teddy
Jose Morales

Quote:
Yes, at least for some of the people who commit to ordering it at the early stage. Don't worry. I have words from the maker. I will make sure everyone who is on the buying list will get their copies.
Fantastic, I hope to enjoy mine on my M2 when the time arrives!

Old 5 Days Ago   #1303
harryjiang

I might be the first one here to receive the retail version (I am based in China). Here it is. It produces great image, just like the old Summicron.

Rangefinder coupling is perfect, handling is Leica level.

A word to people who are anxiously waiting: Mr.Zhou (the leader of the project) is really an entrepreneur who pursues perfection. This project is worthy of the wait.

I am happy to answer questions about the copy I received, but Kevin has been an awesome and conscientious spokesperson.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200112-WechatIMG7.jpg (176.9 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg 20200112-WechatIMG3.jpg (161.8 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg 20200112-WechatIMG2.jpg (26.3 KB, 96 views)

Old 5 Days Ago   #1304
aizan

Lucky!

It's good to hear a second opinion about the lens's precision and handling.

Old 5 Days Ago   #1305
teddy
Jose Morales

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryjiang View Post

A word to people who are anxiously waiting: Mr.Zhou (the leader of the project) is really an entrepreneur who pursues perfection. This project is worthy of the wait.
Fantastic, thanks for sharing harryjiang!
What ever other lenses come out if this project, I'm in. I'm happy to support a project full of passion, craftsmanship and quality. Anything that has this level of quality and I'm in. And I love the look of the classic Leica glass. Can't go wrong.

Old 5 Days Ago   #1306
CharlesDAMorgan

Good news!

Leica M2, Nikon D700, Bronica RF645, Leica CL, Summicron 40mm, Rolleicord Va, Hasselblad 500 CM Zeiss Planar, Leica 50mm Summicron V3, Hasselblad PME51 metered prism - all gone.

Old 5 Days Ago   #1307
harryjiang

Some shots taken with reproduced 8 element and M9, processed in LR.

Didn't get chance to go outside today, Shanghai is freezing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200112-L1082487.jpg (119.5 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg 20200112-L1082504.jpg (99.3 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg 20200112-L1082505.jpg (84.2 KB, 75 views)

Old 5 Days Ago   #1308
D&A

Love the feedback about the replica lens you received and sounds wonderful. Even the adorable cat in the 1st pic looks inquisitive as if thinking..."Wow, is that the new 8 element replica lens?" . In the 3rd picture, he's walking over to have a closer look at it!

Keep those pics and impressions coming as I'm sure we all appreciate it. Thanks!

Dave (D&A)

A unique opportunity
Old 4 Days Ago   #1309
Crazy Leica Fox

Thumbs up A unique opportunity

I'm probably near the end of the list for this first batch of lenses, so I've set aside $500 from my lens budget and it will just be collecting interest until you're ready to take it from me .

The replica seems to have very similar rendering to the original 8 Element, though with a yellower coloring to its images. This could, of course, be due to the age of the original, which perhaps has actually gained a bluer coloring over time. Regardless, the way this replica lens was manufactured, using rare, flint lead glass, makes it entirely unique among new lenses available today.

Old 3 Days Ago   #1310
Halka

Quote:

As more and more people are sending messages to me expressing their interest in buying the replica 8-element after we stopped receiving orders, I have asked the maker about his plan on future batches. Like I said before, the flint lead glass becomes very hard to find in China nowadays as the new Environmental Protection Law of the People's Republic of China been released in 2015. The law restricted the manufacturing of the lead glass. But some facilities are still manufacturing flint lead glass for particular purposes. The maker is able to source this glass from those facilities, but the cost will be higher. So I got confirmation that the future batches will have a higher price due to this reason.

In fact, regardless of the increase in manufacturing costs, the maker initially planned to sell the lens at the lowest possible price to thank the first group of the customers who are willing to support them. And then, return to the regular price after the first batch is sold.
Kevin
I thought the maker intended to switch to a harder, more "modern" optical glass after running out of flint-lead? Or am I misremembering things?

Old 3 Days Ago   #1311
KEVIN-XU 愛 forever
所謂的攝影,就是人生。

Quote:
I might be the first one here to receive the retail version (I am based in China). Here it is. It produces great image, just like the old Summicron.

I am happy to answer questions about the copy I received, but Kevin has been an awesome and conscientious spokesperson.
Thank you very much for sharing this exciting news here! Harry, you are the first person to share this project on RFF, and now you are the first forum member that receives the final product looking great.

Kevin

所謂的攝影,就是人生。
---荒木經惟

Old 3 Days Ago   #1312
kiemchacsu

Hi Harry,

Just curious, since you mentioned Mr. Zhou as the leader of this fantastic project, I wonder if he's the same person who made Mr. Zhou case for Leica?

Quote:

RF
F
photo essays: Hanoi | Hoi An | Ha Giang | Fish Market

Old 3 Days Ago   #1313
KEVIN-XU 愛 forever
所謂的攝影,就是人生。

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halka View Post
I thought the maker intended to switch to a harder, more "modern" optical glass after running out of flint-lead? Or am I misremembering things?

Yes, the maker was only able to get a small amount of flint lead glass from old stock. So initially, this glass will only exist in the first batch. And then the glass will be replaced by environmentally friendly glass which does not include lead. But with the increasing number of people who want that flint lead glass version of the replica, the maker spends a lot of effort to find this particular glass, and finally, he is able to acquire some from the special optical plant. But due to this reason, the cost of the future batch that uses flint lead glass will be much higher eventually.

Kevin

所謂的攝影,就是人生。
---荒木經惟

Old 3 Days Ago   #1314
KEVIN-XU 愛 forever
所謂的攝影,就是人生。

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiemchacsu View Post
Hi Harry,

Just curious, since you mentioned Mr. Zhou as the leader of this fantastic project, I wonder if he's the same person who made Mr. Zhou case for Leica?
They are not the same person. It's just a coincidence.

Kevin

所謂的攝影,就是人生。
---荒木經惟

Old 3 Days Ago   #1315
KEVIN-XU 愛 forever
所謂的攝影,就是人生。

I just realize that I've received many emails in the past two weeks. I was extremely busy after the new year. I will do my best to reply to each of the emails.

Kevin

所謂的攝影,就是人生。
---荒木經惟

Old 3 Days Ago   #1316
harryjiang

The maker of the lens is not the same guy who made those leather cases.

Old 3 Days Ago   #1317
Emile de Leon

Does the list start when the 1st e-mail interest inquiry was sent..
Or when actual order was placed?

Old 3 Days Ago   #1318
KEVIN-XU 愛 forever
所謂的攝影,就是人生。

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emile de Leon View Post
Does the list start when the 1st e-mail interest inquiry was sent..
Or when actual order was placed?
At the very beginning, there are forum members left comments stating they want to purchase the lens, and people sending me private messages, they will receive the lens first. Then later, people who sending emails to me will be put in queue. I will do my best to be fair for all the people.

Kevin

所謂的攝影,就是人生。
---荒木經惟

Old 3 Days Ago   #1319
Emile de Leon

Thx Kevin!

Old 3 Days Ago   #1320
maartenmoerman

I like that