Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Coffee With Mentors > Chris Crawford

Chris Crawford I am pleased to announced a long time member has agreed to help and mentor others in photographic technique. As he has long done so, perhaps this forum is a bit overdue. Christopher Crawford has been a professional artist and photographer for 20 years, most of that time spent documenting life in northern Indiana with his photographs and the stories that he writes to accompany them. In addition, Chris also creates tutorials where he teaches photography techniques, film processing, digital editing, film scanning, and printing. Ask Chris your technical questions, or to critique your photos. You can see more of his tutorials at http://crawfordphotoschool.com

Old 09-12-2019   #41
AlwaysOnAuto

Chris, I can't think of a more deserving guy to receive such a great gift. Congrats!
Do you have a digital camera you can adapt these lenses to?
Film gets expensive, even if you do your own developing.

Old 09-12-2019   #42
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dralowid View Post
To the OP. A suggestion. If you are new to ltm Leicas forget about all the various bits you could have and go out just with camera and 50mm lens.

I've been a professional artist for 25 years. I don't need to 'limit' myself to 'learn.' I need the equipment to shoot any photograph that I see, and many photographs just plain cannot be done with a 50mm (though it is my favorite focal length).

Old 09-12-2019   #43
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysOnAuto View Post
Chris, I can't think of a more deserving guy to receive such a great gift. Congrats!
Do you have a digital camera you can adapt these lenses to?
Film gets expensive, even if you do your own developing.

I also shoot micro 4/3 digital. You can adapt just about anything to m4/3 but to be honest, I see no reason to. The Olympus Pro Series lenses I use are incredible, and adapted lenses are just a pain to work with for no real benefit. I tried it for using old Olympus manual focus lenses, and returned the adapter I had bought a half hour after I bought it.

I will use film and the Leica to use the lenses O.C. gave me. I don't care about the cost; I am a professional and the film is just a cost of doing business to me. It costs me far less than I spend putting gas in my car to go out photographing.

Old 09-12-2019   #44
AlwaysOnAuto

OK.
I use adapted lenses because they still impart their character to the image taken.
Hope you enjoy your new to you Leica, it looks fantastic.

Old 09-12-2019   #45
CharlesDAMorgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscrawfordphoto View Post
It costs me far less than I spend putting gas in my car to go out photographing.
So true.

I took my 1933 Leica III out yesterday to take a few photos of a 1938 Ford truck. My petrol (OK at UK prices) totalled close to £25. One b&w 35mm and one 120 colour film and development costs - £15.

Leica M2, Nikon D700, Bronica RF645, Leica CL, Summicron 40mm, Rolleicord Va, Hasselblad 500 CM Zeiss Planar, Leica 50mm Summicron V3, Hasselblad PME51 metered prism - all gone.

Old 09-12-2019   #46
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

A couple more photos!

Shot on Ilford HP5 with the 50mm Summitar

Shot on Tri-X with the 135mm Canon lens

Old 09-12-2019   #47
victoriapio

Naturally there is a story behind this “gift” to Chris.

A friend at work, Ray, inherited some vintage camera equipment from his uncle, who died during 2018. Ray knew my background in photography and asked if I would take a look at the equipment.

All the equipment was top notch but primarily sheet film cameras; graflexes, 3x5 sheet film cameras, even a Bronica TLR. But at some point all the camera metal had been exposed to leaking chemicals or other corrosive chemicals. There wasn’t much that could be done with them other than a complete disassembly of the cameras and restoring all the metal parts, not to mention leaky bellows and a lot of stuck focusing gears. The cost to do that was not practical.

Then Ray showed me a plastic grocery bag and when I looked into it, there was the Leica IIIC body and the lenses Chris mentioned. All were in original cases which with the plastic grocery bag, must have protected them from the corrosive chemicals.

I could tell the camera had not been touched for decades but the lenses looked clear and in good shape, even if the focus rings were stiff and in need of maintenance.

I sent some pics of the equipment to DAG who replied with an estimate for repairs and maintenance for the whole kit. Ray and I worked out a fair price for the equipment in their current condition, and I immediately sent everything to DAG. He determined the body was an original IIIC which had been sent to Leica NY sometime in its past and converted to a IIIF. Even the serial # was transferred to the new top plate. The lenses were cleaned and restored to shooting condition. When it was returned in January 2019, I put the equipment in my safe until two weeks ago.

Two weeks ago I retired from my job for the City of Victoria,Texas and the first thing I did was think about this nice kit stuck in my safe. (BTW, I moved to digital rangefinders when the Epson was first introduced and still have an M9 (sensor replaced) and a version 1 Monochrome that I will shoot a lot now that I have time.) While I admire all of you who shoot film, I did not want to go down that path.

So when I visited RFF on my first day of retirement, I went to the screw mount Leica thread and other film forums here and saw that Chris was still shooting film and still not using Leica. So I contacted him and asked if he wanted this kit and of course he said yes.

So I am grateful that the kit found a home with Chris and I know that he will shoot the hell out of it, and enjoy it. I am impressed with the photos he has already taken with it, and look forward to seeing more of his work.
OC

Old 09-12-2019   #48
victoriapio

Quote:
Originally Posted by 571514m3 View Post
Oh that is so nice on so many levels! I changed Coelho's quote a bit ...'Often the universe conspires in helping you to achieve something you had not thought of until then.' I wonder what you'll show us. And please tell O.C. that there is a standing invite for al fresco dinner in Melbourne's Lygon Street!
I will try with all my might to take you up on that offer Egon

Old 09-26-2019   #49
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

An update: I haven't posted any new photos because my original testing of the camera showed that the shutter was giving uneven exposures and the second curtain was closing on the first one before they had moved all the way across the frame at 1/500 and 1/1000. O.C. arranged for me to send it back to DAG to be adjusted, since it was still under warranty from DAG for the original overhaul that O.C. had him do on the camera.

I just got it back today and shot a couple of test rolls. Also, while I was waiting for DAG to adjust the shutter, I found a great deal on a Leica VIOOH finder for it. This finder has built in settings for 35, 50, 85, 90, and 135mm lenses. I used it today to try the 35mm Elmar for the first time.

I'll develop the film tonight so in a couple days (after I scan them) I will have some more stuff to show off from the Leica!

Old 09-26-2019   #50
Timmyjoe

DAG does excellent work, he rebuilt my IIIc and I've been very happy with it. And that Leica VIOOH is a lot of fun to work with, and sits nicely on the Barnack bodies and has settings for most of my LTM lenses (no 28mm though). Have fun with it.

Best,
-Tim

Old 09-26-2019   #51
retinax

To my eyes some grit and grain from film suits your clean compositions extremely well! Will we see more of this in the Fort Wayne thread?

Old 09-26-2019   #52
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyjoe View Post
DAG does excellent work, he rebuilt my IIIc and I've been very happy with it. And that Leica VIOOH is a lot of fun to work with, and sits nicely on the Barnack bodies and has settings for most of my LTM lenses (no 28mm though). Have fun with it.

Best,
-Tim

Interestingly, there is a 28mm adapter for the VIOOH. It is a lens that screws over the front of the finder. Unfortunately, it is fairly expensive, about $150 (the VIOOH cost me $40).

Old 09-26-2019   #53
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retinax View Post
To my eyes some grit and grain from film suits your clean compositions extremely well! Will we see more of this in the Fort Wayne thread?

Yeah, I will post the stuff there, I have been really far behind in my photo editing. I've had to take on a lot of web design work because I haven't sold a print in awhile now, so that has kept me too busy.

Old 09-26-2019   #54
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Here's the camera with the VIOOH finder and the 3.5cm f3.5 Elmar. I shot this lens for the first time today, since I didn't have a finder for 35mm lenses when I did my initial shots with the camera before I sent it to DAG. The lens is smaller than the finder!

Old 09-26-2019   #55
zuiko85

Quote:
I also shoot micro 4/3 digital. You can adapt just about anything to m4/3 but to be honest, I see no reason to. The Olympus Pro Series lenses I use are incredible, and adapted lenses are just a pain to work with for no real benefit. I tried it for using old Olympus manual focus lenses, and returned the adapter I had bought a half hour after I bought it.
Just purchased my third Olympus ILC. It is a used EM10, my first micro 4:3 and the first digital I *may* be able to tolerate. But self imposed budget constraints have limited me (at this time) to a set of manual focus lenses. Specifically the Oly Pen F film Zuikos.
Thank goodness for the magnified focusing option, otherwise accurate focusing would not be possible most of the time. I really see you point though, it's a slow process for sure. The lens adapter was cheap and I've shimmed it out .002 inch to get it closer to infinity. Don't know what CoC Olympus used for the Pen lenses DoF scale but I just select 2 stops larger for scale focusing.

It appears that the Olympus 25mm f1.8 is the best bargain for a dedicated AF lens so when I can, that will be the lens I go for.

Old 09-26-2019   #56
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuiko85 View Post
Just purchased my third Olympus ILC. It is a used EM10, my first micro 4:3 and the first digital I *may* be able to tolerate. But self imposed budget constraints have limited me (at this time) to a set of manual focus lenses. Specifically the Oly Pen F film Zuikos.
Thank goodness for the magnified focusing option, otherwise accurate focusing would not be possible most of the time. I really see you point though, it's a slow process for sure. The lens adapter was cheap and I've shimmed it out .002 inch to get it closer to infinity. Don't know what CoC Olympus used for the Pen lenses DoF scale but I just select 2 stops larger for scale focusing.

It appears that the Olympus 25mm f1.8 is the best bargain for a dedicated AF lens so when I can, that will be the lens I go for.

The 25mm f1.8 and the 45mm f1.8 are both incredible bargains. Olympus often puts them on sale for $250 each. The 45 is a great portrait lens.

I don't like the wideangle counterpart to these lenses, however. It is the 17mm f1.8. It is very expensive, about $400 and it is not very good optically. Dead center, it is SHARP, but as soon as you move even the littlest way from dead center it begins to rapidly lose sharpness. 2/3 of the way out, its incapable of rendering fine detail.

I tried and returned 5 of them, and all were the same. Months later, I tried several at another store and they were also the same.

If you want a wide prime, the Pana-Leica 15mm f1.7 is magnificent, VERY sharp. Its kind of expensive, but is worth it.

Old 09-26-2019   #57
CharlesDAMorgan

Beautiful beastie - I look forward now to seeing the pictures you take with it!

Leica M2, Nikon D700, Bronica RF645, Leica CL, Summicron 40mm, Rolleicord Va, Hasselblad 500 CM Zeiss Planar, Leica 50mm Summicron V3, Hasselblad PME51 metered prism - all gone.

Old 09-27-2019   #58
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

I developed my films last night. The 3.5cm Elmar is VERY sharp, even to the edges. A lot of people online say it is a poor lens and that the later 35mm f3.5 or f2.8 Summar lenses are better. Maybe they are, I have never tried them, but the Elmar is still incredibly good.

The VIOOH finder works great too, as long as I remember to set it to the correct distance to compensate for parallax. The framing is a lot more accurate than it is with the Leica IIIf's built in finder (I'm comparing the VIOOH's 50mm setting to the camera's finder since the camera finder is for 50mm only).

Will try to scan some stuff tonight.

Old 09-27-2019   #59
mpaniagua

Quote:
I developed my films last night. The 3.5cm Elmar is VERY sharp, even to the edges. A lot of people online say it is a poor lens and that the later 35mm f3.5 or f2.8 Summar lenses are better. Maybe they are, I have never tried them, but the Elmar is still incredibly good.

The VIOOH finder works great too, as long as I remember to set it to the correct distance to compensate for parallax. The framing is a lot more accurate than it is with the Leica IIIf's built in finder (I'm comparing the VIOOH's 50mm setting to the camera's finder since the camera finder is for 50mm only).

Will try to scan some stuff tonight.
I think the reason people say that from the Elmar 3.5 is because there are a lot of them that are fogged. It is not a bad lens when clean. Mine was, and made the lens soft and contrast less. Once cleaned it became a different beast.

Regards
Marcelo.

Old 09-27-2019   #60
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpaniagua View Post
I think the reason people say that from the Elmar 3.5 is because there are a lot of them that are fogged. It is not a bad lens when clean. Mine was, and made the lens soft and contrast less. Once cleaned it became a different beast.

Regards
Marcelo.
O.C. had mine cleaned by DAG before he gave it to me, and the glass looks flawless. That must be the secret to its good performance.

Old 09-27-2019   #61
charjohncarter

See how much better your 35mm shots are?? I really feel that the Barnack is my favorite 35mm camera. Built before engineering compromises.

Old 09-27-2019   #62
farlymac
PF McFarland

Quote:
Interestingly, there is a 28mm adapter for the VIOOH. It is a lens that screws over the front of the finder. Unfortunately, it is fairly expensive, about $150 (the VIOOH cost me $40).
I've got the Canon version that has the same 28mm attachment. Only issue is it was meant for the bodies that have the automatic parallax adjustment, and I haven't gotten a body to use it on yet (V and VI series).

PF

Old 09-27-2019   #63
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by farlymac View Post
I've got the Canon version that has the same 28mm attachment. Only issue is it was meant for the bodies that have the automatic parallax adjustment, and I haven't gotten a body to use it on yet (V and VI series).

PF
The Canon accessory finder that automatically corrects parallax is neat; too bad Leica never had something like that.

The Leica Universal Finder (VIOOH) that I have doesn't have any coupling to the camera to tell it what the focused distance is. Instead, there's a lever on the back to turn to select a distance for parallax correction. It works, but only if you remember to set it each time you photograph something at a different distance. I found myself sometimes forgetting. The framing is very accurate when I set it right.

Old 09-28-2019   #64
mcfingon
Western Australia

Chris, congratulations on your lovely Barnack and lenses. I recommend the VIOOH finder if you are used to SLR-like finders. I have found it tricky to make parallax compensations in my head with the built-in finder and did not find the SBOOI to help in that regard either. The VIOOH (here on my III but also good for the IIIf) has a manual parallax compensator and click-stops for the lenses in use from 35 to 135mm. Only some VIOOH's can have the 28mm bit screwed on the front.

John Mc - oops -didn't see the above posts when I posted this - hopefully it's backing up what you've got.

Old 09-28-2019   #65
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfingon View Post
Chris, congratulations on your lovely Barnack and lenses. I recommend the VIOOH finder if you are used to SLR-like finders. I have found it tricky to make parallax compensations in my head with the built-in finder and did not find the SBOOI to help in that regard either. The VIOOH (here on my III but also good for the IIIf) has a manual parallax compensator and click-stops for the lenses in use from 35 to 135mm. Only some VIOOH's can have the 28mm bit screwed on the front.

John Mc - oops -didn't see the above posts when I posted this - hopefully it's backing up what you've got.
I bought a VIOOH last week. You're right, it is very nice. I even use it with 50mm lenses because it is easier to see through and gives more accurate framing than the tiny built-in viewfinder.

Love your black camera; they look gorgeous as they get used and the paint wears to show the brass under the paint.

Old 09-28-2019   #66
robert blu
quiet photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfingon View Post

Lovely camera John!

Chris: your camera (post #54) is a beauty as well :-) I'm waiting too see Indiana through it !

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 09-28-2019   #67
Richard G

Quote:
Originally Posted by charjohncarter View Post
See how much better your 35mm shots are?? I really feel that the Barnack is my favorite 35mm camera. Built before engineering compromises.

I must say I think this is right, even though proposed here tongue in cheek perhaps. I'll bet your print sales pick up a bit now. The mystery of film, and that very sharp Elmar.

Old 09-28-2019   #68
Erik van Straten

Leica III black and nickel, Elmar 50mm f/3.5 nickel/uncoated, 400-2TMY/Adox MCC 110.

Erik.

Old 09-28-2019   #69
Ambro51

It’s SO much fun to read these posts....to see an experienced photog get his hands on an early Leica, and discover what a lot of us already know and admire. Now, I will guess, the GAS attack will follow. The “discovery” of the Visoflex...., the “discovery” of the uncoated Summar (which makes your Barnack Leica image ‘different’) , the books (omg so Many books)......... The GREAT thing here is that he’s going to Shoot!!! I admit my collector side far overshadows my (current) Photographer side, and though I daily dream of shooting All I own, it doesn’t happen. BUT i did start the ball rolling in 1975 with Leica IIIc # 409638. It was a Great Camera, a great “one camera” camera. But alas it had dents, cracked and missing vulcanite and in the end met an unusual fate. I sent it to Mr. Kim in Seoul who used a lot of its internals to modify UR Replica #80 into a fully operational camera. When you REALLY want the Barnack experience, you shoot with a UR!

Old 09-28-2019   #70
mcfingon
Western Australia

Here's a recent pic from my Leica III and Jupiter-12 using the VIOOH for framing. My friend Lawrence sheltering from the winter sun at my local coffee shop in Albany, Western Australia.

John Mc

Old 09-28-2019   #71
Solinar
Analog Preferred

John that sun looks brutal. I see a range of 5 to 6 EV between the sunny foreground and the shaded background.

35mm Gear Bessa R, Leica II, - IIIg, - M2
Just for fun 35mm Gear a Kodak Retina IIa, a Rollei 35 S, plus a Voigtlander Vito II and Vito BR
Modern Medium Format Fuji GW 690III
Vintage MF Folders a Voigtländer Perkeo II and Bessa II, 2 of them - a ZI Mess Ikonta 524/2 - plus an Agfa Super Isolette & a Record III
Digital a D300 and a D700 with some primes - still going over a decade later

"Who spilled the Dektol on the bathroom carpet?"

Old 09-28-2019   #72
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambro51 View Post
It’s SO much fun to read these posts....to see an experienced photog get his hands on an early Leica, and discover what a lot of us already know and admire. Now, I will guess, the GAS attack will follow. The “discovery” of the Visoflex...., the “discovery” of the uncoated Summar (which makes your Barnack Leica image ‘different’) , the books (omg so Many books)......... The GREAT thing here is that he’s going to Shoot!!! I admit my collector side far overshadows my (current) Photographer side, and though I daily dream of shooting All I own, it doesn’t happen. BUT i did start the ball rolling in 1975 with Leica IIIc # 409638. It was a Great Camera, a great “one camera” camera. But alas it had dents, cracked and missing vulcanite and in the end met an unusual fate. I sent it to Mr. Kim in Seoul who used a lot of its internals to modify UR Replica #80 into a fully operational camera. When you REALLY want the Barnack experience, you shoot with a UR!
I'm going to get a 90mm lens next week. I'd like to eventually get a 28mm, too. I don't think I'll need any other accessories. Visoflex is too much of a pain to mess with when I have several SLRs that can do the work that is for (eg. macro or long tele lenses) better.

The camera plus the 35, 50, and 135mm lenses and the VIOOH finder make a very small and light carry-around kit.

Old 09-29-2019   #73
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Wells Street in Fort Wayne, Indiana. 3.5cm f3.5 Elmar on Ilford Delta 400.

Kayaks for rent at Promenade Park in Fort Wayne, Indiana. 3.5cm f3.5 Elmar on Ilford Delta 400.

First couple of shots using the 3.5cm (35mm) f3.5 Elmar lens on the Leica IIIf. I wasn't able to try this lens earlier because I didn't have a 35mm accessory finder, but now I have the Leica VIOOH universal finder, which covers 35mm focal length lenses.

I'm impressed, the sharpness and tonality are wonderful. This lens not only renders beautifully, it is TINY; it barely protrudes from the front of the camera! The accessory viewfinder I'm using is actually bigger then the lens!

I will post a couple more shots with the 35 Elmar, and a couple more with the 50mm Summitar later today. I've been up all night editing photos, its time to get some sleep!

Old 09-29-2019   #74
mcfingon
Western Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solinar View Post
John that sun looks brutal. I see a range of 5 to 6 EV between the sunny foreground and the shaded background.
Welcome to the Australian sun Andrew. It is as harsh as you perceive. The full sun exposure would have been f11 1/200th. The full shade f2.8 1/60th. So I chose between the two, favouring that most of the shot was in the sun. It's a brighter light than most places. We should be making more electricity from the sun here, as we have a lot of it. It could be an export earner.
John Mc

Old 09-29-2019   #75
Erik van Straten

Leica II, Hektor 50mm f/2.5 nickel uncoated, Tmax400/Adox MCC 110.

Erik.

Old 09-29-2019   #76
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik van Straten View Post
Leica II, Hektor 50mm f/2.5 nickel uncoated, Tmax400/Adox MCC 110.

Erik.

Cute pic. I never knew there was a 50mm Hektor! Seems like the usual standard lens for a Barnack is the 50mm f3.5 Elmar. I'd like to try one but they seem kind of expensive given how common they are, so I'll probably stick to my Summitar.

Old 09-29-2019   #77
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

A couple more with the 3.5cm f3.5 Elmar.

Garage behind a house on Wells Street in Fort Wayne, Indiana. 3.5cm f3.5 Elmar on Ilford Delta 400.

Same house I photographed earlier with the 50mm Summitar, this time with the 3.5cm f3.5 Elmar. Ilford Delta 400.

Old 09-29-2019   #78
Deardorff38

Isn't that 35mm Elmar a gem? it's so tiny.... i use mine a lot & the result are really good.

Old 09-29-2019   #79
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deardorff38 View Post
Isn't that 35mm Elmar a gem? it's so tiny.... i use mine a lot & the result are really good.

Yes, it is! I'm surprised how great it is.

Old 09-29-2019   #80
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Here are a couple more. These were both shot with the 50mm Summitar.

My son, Mack. He's 22 years old, and in his final year of college.

My cat, Sneaky.