Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

Which viewfinder on top 35mm cameras?
Old 09-23-2018   #1
papo

Which viewfinder on top 35mm cameras?

Which one would you recommend? I think i would like to shoot like this but i do wonder about a few things: how do you focus correctly? Can you shoot in rain? Doesnt really seem like it.

Old 09-23-2018   #2
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by papo View Post
Which one would you recommend? I think i would like to shoot like this but i do wonder about a few things: how do you focus correctly? Can you shoot in rain? Doesnt really seem like it.
Which cameras are you suggesting we provide a choice between?

How are you suggesting you would like to shoot like?

What focusing methodology is linked to whatever camera/viewfinder type you are referring to ... ??

With any camera, you can shoot in the rain by taking proper care. Why do you ask the question if you've already judged that it can't work...?

Old 09-23-2018   #3
papo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
Which cameras are you suggesting we provide a choice between?

How are you suggesting you would like to shoot like?

What focusing methodology is linked to whatever camera/viewfinder type you are referring to ... ??

With any camera, you can shoot in the rain by taking proper care. Why do you ask the question if you've already judged that it can't work...?
Have you even read what i wrote? Do you reply to everyone like this? Dont be an asshole, its self-explanatory and obvious i am asking other forum users (excluding yourself of course).

Old 09-23-2018   #4
Contarama

Jeezuz hahaha

Old 09-23-2018   #5
Ronald M

Remember English may not be a primary language for some.

Old 09-23-2018   #6
Corran

Canon F5, imported to the US as an Olympus K1000 would be a good place to start.

Old 09-23-2018   #7
papo

More assholes, thats just great, haha

Old 09-23-2018   #8
papo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald M View Post
Remember English may not be a primary language for some.
English is actually my fourth language but still, only a Trump voting asshole who wants to build walls would be snarky about it..

Old 09-23-2018   #9
Steve M.

Yeah, and good manners and civility may not be within this person's primary language either!

Old 09-23-2018   #10
papo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M. View Post
Yeah, and good manners and civility may not be within this person's primary language either!
Oh give me a break, I asked a simple question like millions of others do and I get a snarky reply like this? Now you’re crying about it? Getouttahere..

Old 09-23-2018   #11
nickthetasmaniac

Quote:
Have you even read what i wrote? Do you reply to everyone like this? Dont be an asshole, its self-explanatory and obvious i am asking other forum users (excluding yourself of course).
I have read what you wrote and unfortunately it's not particularly self-explanatory.

You're asking gear advice but haven't said what you would like to do with it. What's it for?

What kind of 35mm camera are you talking about? For instance, rangefinder or SLR? Different 35mm cameras have very different viewfinders.

What kind of focussing are you talking about? For instance, manual focus or autofocus.

It's impossible to say whether you can shoot in rain without knowing the camera. Some are weather-sealed, some aren't. As someone pointed out, you can shoot any camera in the rain if you take appropriate care.

Instagram @other_strange_creatures

Old 09-23-2018   #12
nukecoke
⚛Yashica

宾得的单反,Cosina的旁轴,都有最好的取景器。

flickr(abandoned)

About Film Cameras

Old 09-24-2018   #13
bulevardi

I'm testing the Agfa Selectronic S at the moment.
Feels very solid, but not too heavy weight, nice.

There are 2 versions: a rangefinder or a viewfinder.

Alas, it's not 35mm, but 45mm..... sometimes you have to make compromises !

Old 09-24-2018   #14
bulevardi

Quote:
1/ how do you focus correctly?
2/Can you shoot in rain?
1/ with the focus ring if it's a RF, if it's a VF just point and shoot or turn the zone focus and guess to get it focused right.
I used to shoot with a Lomo LC-A for long time, zonal focus, not always sharp where I needed it, but nice to play with.

2/ You can just shoot in any condition, but in rain, your camera will get wet... but that doesn't change when you're shooting a viewfinder, RF, P&S, SLR or DSLR,... it always gets wet when it rains. Try to stand under a roof somewhere, the end of a tunnel, door entrances...
Or if anyone has a small umbrella to slip into the hotshoe of your camera?

Old 09-24-2018   #15
narsuitus

Quote:
Which one would you recommend?
Nikon F2 with a waist-level viewfinder.

Nikon F2 by Narsuitus, on Flickr

Old 09-24-2018   #16
BernardL

Quote:

+1 Not only good manners, but ability to state a clear question, independent of language ability. BTW, OP is fluent enough in Ennglish to know the word asshole.

Old 09-24-2018   #17
Sumarongi
Registered Vaudevillain

Opps, I landed in the Tourette forum?

Old 09-24-2018   #18
zuiko85

To the OP.
I’m also struggling to understand your question. It’s hard to tell exactly what information you are seeking.
A little information about what cameras you are using now would be helpful.
A second question, are you looking for a fixed lens camera or one with interchangeable lenses.
As far as focusing in the rain, unless droplets are obscuring the viewfinder, you would focus just as you would in dry conditions. The main problem in wet weather would be keeping the camera dry. Water can easily damage precision cameras.
Finally, there is absolutely no need for foul language on this forum.

Old 09-24-2018   #19
davidnewtonguitars
Family Snaps

The OP has let on in earlier posts that he has an M6. Maybe he needs a camera to get wet and is asking which one it best, viewfinder/rangefinder-wise.
Nikonos?

Old 09-24-2018   #20
aizan

i think he’s asking about accessory viewfinders.

Old 09-24-2018   #21
David Hughes
David Hughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardL View Post
+1 Not only good manners, but ability to state a clear question, independent of language ability. BTW, OP is fluent enough in Ennglish to know the word asshole.

That is not an English word*... Perhaps it is an Americanism?

Regards, David

* As any fule kno, which is an English joke...

Old 09-24-2018   #22
Swift1

Quote:
Your question is vague, but if you are asking about using shoe mount accessory finders on rangefinder cameras (like the one below), you would only need/want one if the built in finder isn't suitable for the lens you have, or if the camera has no built in finder (Leica I, Voigtlander Bessa T and Bessa L) .
For example the built in finder on the Zorki 4 below is designed for a 50mm lens, so when using a 35mm you need an accessory finder that shows the 35mm FOV. In use, you focus with the built in rangefinder, then compose with the accessory finder.

If you're gonna shoot, shoot, don't talk. The Ugly
My Flickr
My Website

Old 09-24-2018   #23
farlymac
PF McFarland

Papo, I'm reading this as you are asking about what style of finder to use.

First off, you can get either a finder dedicated to one focal length, or one that has multiple focal lengths.

The dedicated ones are simple, and compact, but need to be changed when you change lenses. They come in cylindrical or bullet style, and an Albada type which can fold up.

The multi-focal ones come in three styles: turret, multi frame, and zoom.

The turret finder is like a bunch of dedicated finders in one package, and you rotate into view the one you need for whatever focal length you are using. They're kind of bulky, with not a very large eyepiece.

The multi-frame is a cross between a turret, and a zoom finder, as it usually has one optic with select-able frames to show the different FOV view for each focal length. Biggest drawback is the image stays the same size, with some models actually reducing the image size shown (by cropping) instead of just projecting frame lines. It's usually just as big as a turret finder.

A zoom finder will actually change the image size as you select your focal length. They are sometimes more compact than the turret or multi-frame finders, but because of their construction were more expensive, and continue to be because not many manufacturers made them. Nikon seems to be the one that most prefer of this type, but Tewe made an almost exact copy that costs less on average.

Old 09-24-2018   #24
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by farlymac View Post
. . . Nikon seems to be the one that most prefer of this type, but Tewe made an almost exact copy that costs less on average.
Which was the copy? I traced the Tewe back to 1952 (BJP Almanac 1953).

They're so similar that I wonder if the Nikon wasn't licensed (or conceivably just ripped off) from Tewe.

To the OP: what camera? What focal length(s)? And what difference does rain make? As someone else said, everything can get wet in the rain. You focus with the RF and then switch to the VF for framing.

Cheers,

R.

Old 09-28-2018   #25
farlymac
PF McFarland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
Which was the copy? I traced the Tewe back to 1952 (BJP Almanac 1953).

They're so similar that I wonder if the Nikon wasn't licensed (or conceivably just ripped off) from Tewe.

To the OP: what camera? What focal length(s)? And what difference does rain make? As someone else said, everything can get wet in the rain. You focus with the RF and then switch to the VF for framing.

Cheers,

R.
Now that you mention it...

I couldn't find what year my Zoomfinder came out, but the book I referenced (by Peter Braczko) shows two different designs, and one of them looks just like the Tewe, Roger. I'll have to dig further (moving things around in here, so everything is either in a box, or a pile).

PF

Old 09-28-2018   #26
randolph45

Wow! I like the Tewe finder,one size fits all.No more lugging 3 or four finders around.

Old 09-28-2018   #27
tunalegs
Pretended Artist

I recommend the one that goes on top of the camera.

Old 09-29-2018   #28
sepiareverb
genius and moron

Nikonos?

Takes care of the rain part, and the 35mm part.

Old 09-29-2018   #29
ruby.monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunalegs View Post
I recommend the one that goes on top of the camera.
But what if he's shooting a Rollei 35?

Old 09-29-2018   #30
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
I guess it's really not important to try to help clarify this person's questions after all.

G

Old 09-29-2018   #31
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
I guess it's really not important to try to help clarify this person's questions after all.

G
Dear Godfrey,

He certainly doesn't seem to want help badly enough to clarify what he's asking for. Maybe he'd be better off in a mind-reading forum.

Cheers,

R.

Old 09-29-2018   #32
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by farlymac View Post
Now that you mention it...

I couldn't find what year my Zoomfinder came out, but the book I referenced (by Peter Braczko) shows two different designs, and one of them looks just like the Tewe, Roger. I'll have to dig further (moving things around in here, so everything is either in a box, or a pile).

PF
Without a moment's disrespect to Nikon, in 1952 I'd back the likelihood of a Japanese copy of a German design against the likelihood of a German copy of a Japanese design.

Cheers,

R.