Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Old 10-06-2018   #41
Eric T

Three for me:
Hasselblad X1D - body and lenses just cost too much
Nikon D850 - too big and I need another camera system like a hole in the head
Leica M-A - expensive and I just wouldn't use it enough. Too bad.

Old 10-06-2018   #42
JeffS7444

Zenit-M: I think it's great that they're still in the camera business, even if the camera body is a rebadged Leica. But do I really want a big lens like a 35/1.0 Zenitar, and would I feel silly knowing that I could've had a GFX50R outfit for less money?

I'm still trying to decide whether the GFX50R itself belongs on this list. Rational side of my brain says nothing magical and next-level will happen, just as it didn't happen in moving from APS-C to FF. Not-so-rational side of my brain loves the rangefinder style body and memories of my old Mamiya and Fuji MF rangefinders.

Old 10-06-2018   #43
Peter Jennings

I guess I'd go with the M-D. I think I'd really like it, but I know I'll never take that plunge.

Old 10-06-2018   #44
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffS7444 View Post
I'm still trying to decide whether the GFX50R itself belongs on this list. Rational side of my brain says nothing magical and next-level will happen, just as it didn't happen in moving from APS-C to FF. Not-so-rational side of my brain loves the rangefinder style body and memories of my old Mamiya and Fuji MF rangefinders.
My exact thinking...

Old 10-06-2018   #45
Timmyjoe

Original Leica Monochrom. I shoot miles of Tri-X in my M3, M4 & M6TTL and the older I get, the less enthusiastic I am about processing roll after roll after roll. The lazy part of me, and the fact that I don't currently have a wet darkroom, would just like to shoot B&W and immediately have a digital file. And the original, as opposed to the current, because I always loved the CCD sensor in the M8.2 and M9. I've got CMOS sensors in my Nikons and don't like them as well as the old Leica CCD.

But alas, it was always WAY out of my price range.

Best,
-Tim

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 10-06-2018   #46
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mod2001 View Post
I hear(d) this argument quit often and could follow this thought in the beginning of digital, but nowadays, what makes you think it will be obsolete? Does the same camera make bad photos in a few years?

Juergen
Dear Juergen,

My feeling too. I have a Nikon Df and a Leica M9. I find it hard to imagine why I would want to change either of them as long as they work.

To the OP: well, I've had (and still have) lots of impractical cameras, from Minox sub-min to Gandolfi 12x15 inch via Tessina and most film Leicas. Then there was the Peckham Wray with the Grafmatic backs, a Butcher postage stamp camera and a Thornton Pickard Hythe machine gun camera...

Of the ones I haven't had, I have to put in another vote for the Compass but probably the winner would be the combined rangefinder/ viewfinder Alpas. The 45 degree reflex viewing and the sheer price are what would put me off the latter, whereas the film/plate loading and (again) the price would put me off the former.

Cheers,

R.

Old 10-06-2018   #47
bayernfan

this is a fun thread.

- Leica Monochrom 246, cost prohibitive, might buy when new monochrom releases
- Nikon F6, just wouldn't use it (not an SLR shooter)
- Mamiya 7II, it's good, but not as good as the current asking price
- Leica M3, I'm not a 50mm shooter, but I just found one at a price too good to pass, so I can cross it off this list

Zero interest in purchasing digital right now, but I do find it fun to watch the industry news.

Old 10-06-2018   #48
ruby.monkey

Quote:
I hear(d) this argument quit often and could follow this thought in the beginning of digital, but nowadays, what makes you think it will be obsolete? Does the same camera make bad photos in a few years?

Juergen
I can understand the concern that the sensor can degrade over time, and may not be replaceable by the time this gets bad enough for image quality to suffer; which is not a problem for a film camera.

Old 10-06-2018   #49
Dogman

Leica M3 and Hasselblad 500CM film cameras. Love them for historical reasons. Would never buy them because I have no use for them.

Hasselblad H6D digital. You shouldn't have to ask why I wouldn't buy when the price lingers near 50 grand. Also, no real use for it.

Old 10-06-2018   #50
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby.monkey View Post
I can understand the concern that the sensor can degrade over time, and may not be replaceable by the time this gets bad enough for image quality to suffer; which is not a problem for a film camera.
Is "degrade" the right word? Wouldn't "suddenly stop working altogether" be more likely? Sure, a new sensor for every shot (film) is ideal, but I don't know enough to worry about "degradation".

Cheers,

R.

Old 10-08-2018   #51
thawkins

Leica M digital.....too expensive. Nikon F6.....obsolete.

Old 10-08-2018   #52
silkyfeet

i have two.

first. hasselblad xpan. for the amount that they go for at present i feel its a gamble for a camera which cant repaired and its a electronic camera.

second. widelux f7/f8. ive been looking for one located in england london for a long time. They have a problem with banding. I have seen two on the ebay market which are based in uk and something is always stopping me due to the banding issue and also weather it can be fixed. i nearly won a f7 a couple weeks ago but i was tight on my maximum bid. ideally i would want to test a roll to see if the banding issue is present.

i love the panoramic/anamorphic style look

Old 10-08-2018   #53
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

Hasselblad SWC, any variant.
EDIT:
I'm adding a few I have had a chance to think over.
Graflex KE-4
M4 black paint
Pentax LX
Nikon F2 Titan
Any Nikon reissued rangefinder
Mamiya C330 (too big)
Any Alpa

Phil Forrest

Old 10-08-2018   #54
jbharrill1

Any of the Fuji medium format rangefinders. Not so much due to price but because of all the talk of them not being serviceable anymore. Please, I beg you to change my mind!

Also either a mamiya 7 or the bronica rangefinder equivalent, and those are indeed due to the current asking prices.

Old 10-08-2018   #55
Hogarth Ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbharrill1 View Post
Any of the Fuji medium format rangefinders. Not so much due to price but because of all the talk of them not being serviceable anymore. Please, I beg you to change my mind!

Also either a mamiya 7 or the bronica rangefinder equivalent, and those are indeed due to the current asking prices.

Just had my Fuji GF670 serviced, it is on its way back to me as I type, actually.

Old 10-08-2018   #56
bayernfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkyfeet View Post
i have two.

first. hasselblad xpan. for the amount that they go for at present i feel its a gamble for a camera which cant repaired and its a electronic camera.
agreed. it have to be an unbelievable deal on a super low-mileage camera to get me to bite. i have almost zero confidence in electronic cameras.

Old 10-08-2018   #57
mod2001
Old school modernist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayernfan View Post
i have almost zero confidence in electronic cameras.
Is this just a feeling, based on experience or always repeated internet gossip? I have more confidence (based on experience) in old electronics than in the cheap stuff they build in these days. Also, at least in case of the most sought models like the Xpan, you can still sell it even broken for half the price you paid before, either to people who need spare parts or freaks who can fix nearly everything when it comes to electronic. Me personally, I'm more afraid of mechanical parts which can't be replaced.

Anyhow, I'm almost confident that in 2028 you see somebody shooting happily with his XPan and you will ask yourself why you didn't buy one in 2018.

If you see a nice offer, buy and enjoy. Life is to short to be afraid.

Juergen

Old 10-08-2018   #58
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift1 View Post
Lomo LC-A 120.
Absolutely love the images from it, love the concept, don't actually mind the price, but I tested one (thanks Stephen Gandy) and it dropped 2-3 frames per roll which I can't live with.
Same! Even used the same camera from Steve. I didn't have issues with frame dropping, and I used an assortment of film so it makes me wonder if that only was because I was the first one to use it, then tolerances widened..

But that camera also had an issue with focus. Pretty much things would only be in focus if it was set to infinity. Too many things wrong with a $400 camera. But it is really cool!

Old 10-08-2018   #59
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by aizan View Post
Nikon SP 2005 black paint, because I donít really need it and there are limited lens options.
For me it is the S3 2000 in black, which I think is perhaps the best looking 35mm RF made. But I can't pull the trigger because I tried one, and as nice as it is to look at, Leica Ms are just better to use. Better VF, much better RF patch, nicer to hold, much bigger lens selection (Leica, Voigtlander, Zeiss etc)

Old 10-08-2018   #60
Mr_Flibble

I'd like to buy another Epson R-D1(x) as I miss my old one. But I don't really need another digital M-body

Latest Toys: Darkroom supplies

Old 10-08-2018   #61
YouAreHere

Ah, a black paint M4 because I definitely do not need any more 35mm film cameras sitting around unused.

Oh, and an Arca Swiss F-Line C. So sexy but hauling it around, ugh.

Old 10-09-2018   #62
robert blu
quiet photographer

Two cameras in my list: Rolleiflex 2.8 and Hasselblad SWC.
Both top expensive for an occasional use.
robert

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 10-09-2018   #63
Arbitrarium

Dream cameras are Robot Royal 24 w/Sonnar and Norita 66 with the 80/2.

Both unobtainable due to price and rarity... and they'd both need a service before I touched them.

Old 10-09-2018   #64
Dogman

Quote:
.... i have almost zero confidence in electronic cameras.
I used to be that way as well. But I've used electronic cameras for the last 20+ years and the only thing that ever broke on one was mechanical. And that was my fault for forcing a locked dial to turn.

Avoid excessive exposure to moisture and a well built camera with electronics will work fine for many years...maybe many decades.

Old 10-09-2018   #65
Dpingr1

Donít need a fancy 35mm-happy with my M4. For film, anything with Keith Canhamís name on it (works of art, but way too pricey for me.) Donít use digital much, but if I had an X-Pro 2 I might. Itíll never happen, thoughócommitted to film, and too expensive.

"Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in." -- H. D. T.

Old 10-09-2018   #66
bayernfan

Quote:
Is this just a feeling, based on experience or always repeated internet gossip? I have more confidence (based on experience) in old electronics than in the cheap stuff they build in these days. Also, at least in case of the most sought models like the Xpan, you can still sell it even broken for half the price you paid before, either to people who need spare parts or freaks who can fix nearly everything when it comes to electronic. Me personally, I'm more afraid of mechanical parts which can't be replaced.

Anyhow, I'm almost confident that in 2028 you see somebody shooting happily with his XPan and you will ask yourself why you didn't buy one in 2018.

If you see a nice offer, buy and enjoy. Life is to short to be afraid.

Juergen
it's based on experience and a gut feeling. i've had two professional electronic film cameras crap out on me, as well as a few "nice" film compact cameras. the culprit in nearly every case was electronics-based. i just bought a konica big-mini in mint condition. worked fine for a roll, now it's dead.

the x-pan is not known for being a problematic camera, but at that price, it's just too risky for me.

Old 10-09-2018   #67
mod2001
Old school modernist

Quote:
it's based on experience and a gut feeling. i've had two professional electronic film cameras crap out on me, as well as a few "nice" film compact cameras. the culprit in nearly every case was electronics-based. i just bought a konica big-mini in mint condition. worked fine for a roll, now it's dead.

the x-pan is not known for being a problematic camera, but at that price, it's just too risky for me.
Oha, sad to here this, quite the opposite experience on my side and I use a lot of old electronics, especially for audio and photography. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Juergen

Old 10-09-2018   #68
Ted Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogarth Ferguson View Post
Just had my Fuji GF670 serviced, it is on its way back to me as I type, actually.

What was wrong with it and who did the servicing?

Old 10-09-2018   #69
Ted Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thawkins View Post
Nikon F6.....obsolete.

Old 10-09-2018   #70
silkyfeet

Smile

Quote:
agreed. it have to be an unbelievable deal on a super low-mileage camera to get me to bite. i have almost zero confidence in electronic cameras.

in london cameramuseum get hold of them from time to time. i will probably purchase a widelux before i get a xpan. just need one to pop up in london england (positive thinking )

Old 10-09-2018   #71
Steve Bellayr

Leica M10. Do not take enough photos to justify.

Old 10-09-2018   #72
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

FILM: Ebony 8x10. Want to avoid the large format rabbit-hole because I would want to contact print on AZO.

Digital: Medium format. Don't really need to print bigger or higher resolution.

As far as digital cameras becoming obsolete goes, my 5-6 year old Monochrome is still a great camera, warts and all. I actually love that it is a rather primitive and slow camera. After a sensor replacement and Leica overhaul it should be good for a long-long time. Also my 3-4 year old SL remains a great camera for me. Why would I upgrade, and if I did I would still keep and use these cameras? I didn't buy them as throwaways.

Cal

Old 10-09-2018   #73
NaChase

I really like the Alpa 10d but the last thing I need is another camera system, particularly one as expensive and esoteric as the Alpa.

RF Cameras: Leica M2, Leica M3, Leica M5, Leica M6, Mamiya 7II,
RF Lenses:
75mm Summilux, 50mm DR Summicron, 50mm "Millennium" Nikkor, 35mm Zeiss Distagon 1.4, 35mm 2.8 Summaron, Mamiya 43mm, Mamiya 80mm, Mamiya 150mm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
http://www.flickr.com/groups/film_is...ong_live_film/

Old 10-09-2018   #74
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone View Post
FILM: Ebony 8x10. Want to avoid the large format rabbit-hole because I would want to contact print on AZO. . .
Dear Cal,

I thought you said "large format". What's wrong with 12x10, 12x15, 16x20...?

Cheers,

R.

Old 10-09-2018   #75
Sumarongi
Registered Vaudevillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
Dear Cal,

Dear Roger,

Mere Centimetres, or Inches, or real money, I mean: Decimetres?

Old 10-09-2018   #76
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Dear Cal,

Cheers,

R.
Roger,

Even more money and space.

Cal

Old 10-09-2018   #77
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone View Post
Roger,

Even more money and space.

Cal
Dear Cal,

Wimp!

(Or sensible person...)

Cheers,

R.

Old 10-09-2018   #78
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Dear Cal,

Wimp!

(Or sensible person...)

Cheers,

R.
Roger,

Neither of the above. LOL.

If I had the money, space, and time large format would be the place to go. Pretty much unlimited everything.

Cal

Old 10-09-2018   #79
E.M

film : I'd love to have a Nikon F6 because of the smaller size and the text that you can put between the frames .

digital : Leica M10-P and/or Nikon D850

I already have too many cameras and the cost is a bit too high for the above , I guess I just like cameras .

Old 10-09-2018   #80
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

I have always fancied owning a Leica M2 made in 1961, the year of my birth.
I'm fairly sure I will never have one though, and accept it.

Chris