Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Being a Photographer > Technique: How To Shoot It

Technique: How To Shoot It Ask questions about how to take pics, as well as share your own favorite shooting tips.

Old 10-21-2018   #81
helenhill
Chasing Shadows ... Light

back in 2010 I commented Yes to 50mm

in 2018 I would take a 50 / 21 combo
or if just one a 35... .

Old 10-21-2018   #82
raid
Dad Photographer

The 35mm lens covers most cases, and the 50/21 combo should be more fun.
In the end, most importantly the trip should be enjoyed.

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 10-21-2018   #83
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthetasmaniac View Post
Heh, 8 year old thread... Interesting topic though

I backpacked through Europe for about 5 months a few years ago and shot basically the whole trip with a Voigtlander Nokton 25mm (50mm equivalent on Micro Four Thirds). Thoroughly enjoyed it and took a lot of photos I'm still very fond of.
I have been using m 4/3 (old) cameras with lenses that gave me standard to tele views until I got a Panasonic 25/1.4 "Lux". It gives a nice 50mm look. That lens alone works well as the only lens in a trip. I took with me to a trip to Germany 2 m 4/3 cameras with a 25 and a 50 lens for a 50mm and 100mm views in a small package.

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 10-21-2018   #84
leicapixie

The years of Pro are behind me!
Sure I carried, lugged, transported, dragged all that dumb equipment.
2 or 3 SLR bodies, meter, lenses: 28, 35.50, 55 macro,105 mm (money lens), 70~300 zoom (seldom used) and 200 mm. Flash units..
Even that is little compared to pros today with roll suitcases..

On one shoot for self I had most of it!
Some guy about my age was also shooting on the rocks at Newport Beach.
He carried a Rollei 35 and a spare roll of film.
No bag, no pouches, no bandoleer straps like a Hollywood version of Pancho Villa! A simple outfit which I soon adopted.

Digital was next break thru!
Compact toy cameras with zoom lenses, spare batteries (AA).
MY preferred way to travel in days of sinister security..
None of that " would sir, please step this way..!"

Old 10-21-2018   #85
seagrove
Rich

I committed to a 50mm focal length using my X100s and a TCL-X100 back in June of 2017. I shot that focal length exclusively (except for occasional forays with a Yashica Electro35 GS & its 45mm fixed lens) until a few weeks ago. During that time I took six cruise vacations to various ports using only those two cameras. I figures if a Leica M3 and a 50mm Cron was good enough for Henri Cartier-Bresson it was good enough for me. As a result, I see differently now. After decades with various wide-angle and telephoto zooms for news/editorial work, it was almost a God-send! Recently I switched the TCL-X100 adapter for the WCL-X100 adapter for a 28mm focal length and am giving it a try.

Old 10-21-2018   #86
Timmyjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiquark View Post
For various reasons, I'd like to go on my next vacation with a single lens: a 50mm equivalent.

Has anyone ever gone on a vacation with a 50mm only? Did you miss many shots? Were you always able to "work around" the angle of view limitations to produce good compositions?

Thanks,
Derek.
Forty some years ago, when I got my first SLR, I only had a 50mm lens. Took it on all vacations and everywhere else. Was a number of years before I got another focal length. It worked fine, used the two foot zoom method. Walked up close for telephoto, walked far away for wide angle.

Best,
-Tim

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 10-21-2018   #87
FrozenInTime

These days digital makes minimalism easier e.g. stitching for width or high ISO overcoming a small aperture.
Still I find 50mm is just a bit tight for a comfortable all rounder.
40mm or 28mm on APS-C seems the sweet spot for me when a 28+50 pair is too much to bring.
It's the weird colour scheme that freaks me. Every time you try to operate one of these weird black controls, which are labeled in black on a black background, a small black light lights up black to let you know you've done it.

Old 10-21-2018   #88
David Hughes
David Hughes

HCB may have used a 50mm most of the time but Oskar Barnack finally fitted a 40 or 42mm* to the Ur-Leica. So it's a question of mentor really.

Luckily, there's always the excellent Leica CL and a load of others (Olympus; Pentax etc) with 40 or 42mm lenses...

OTOH, if you're not sure about focal lengths, there's lots of P&S's and bridge cameras to give you a lot in a small package, film or digital.

Regards, David

* The Milar used is given as either focal length; it depends what source you look at.

Last edited by David Hughes : 10-21-2018 at 07:35. Reason: Too many CRLF's...

Old 10-21-2018   #89
Godfrey
somewhat colored

On my trip to Cork, Ireland and the Isle of Man at the turn of 2018, I carried the Leica M-D with 35 and 50 mm lenses. More than 90% of all the exposures I made were made with the 50mm lens.

On my most recent trip to the Isle of Man, Cambridge/Oxford/London in England, the northeast corridor of the USA, and then the subsequent train trip across the USA, I carried the Leica CL with 28 and 50mm lenses (42 and 75mm eqFOV). More than 95% of my photos were made with the 28mm lens.

There are few lenses more universally useful than a reasonably fast lens in the normal range for any format. Never worry about how many photographs you might miss; worry only about what fantastic photographs you'll make.

G

Old 10-21-2018   #90
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

It can certainly be done but these days I'd take a 21mm along if I were shooting with the Leica. If I decided at 2am before the flight, the Nikon F2 were coming along, then it would be the 50mm f/1.2 and the 28mm f/2.8. If I wanted to pack ultimately compact though, I'd carry my Retina IIa which has a built in 50mm f/2 Xenon lens and a ton of film. You can't really go wrong with any 50mm option by any manufacturer of any vintage. Even the dogs are still pretty decent.

Phil Forrest

Old 10-21-2018   #91
Deardorff38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
Never worry about how many photographs you might miss; worry only about what fantastic photographs you'll make.
G
Less changing lenses & deciding..... more looking & seeing

Old 10-21-2018   #92
Hogarth Ferguson

I recently took a vacation with only 1 camera, 1 lens, 1 film stock. I wanted to see if it was feasible. I really enjoyed it.

Old 10-21-2018   #93
rhl-oregon
Cameras Guitars Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_F_NM View Post
...If I wanted to pack ultimately compact though, I'd carry my Retina IIa which has a built in 50mm f/2 Xenon lens and a ton of film.

Phil Forrest

Still using that Retina, Phil? Iím glad itís with you still.

I took a 50/2 and 15/4.5 to Italy last year with an M-D 262. Happiest shooting 50, for like many others here, 50 was my one and only in my SLR youth.

http://rhl.photography

Old 10-21-2018   #94
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

As I wrote before, for tens of millions only 50mm lens was the only choice for decades.
Zenit and 50. Zorki and 50, FED and 50. Keiv and 50. Sold as kit and used as sold.
Vacations, New Year, November 7th demonstration, working in kolhoz, skying in the forest and so on. All with 50.

Old 10-21-2018   #95
Deardorff38

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenhill View Post

or if just one a 35... .

So would I. It doesn't matter which. Rolleiflex with an 80mm. Fuji 6x8 with a 90. Leica with a 35. It's the final image that matters, not the ones you could have taken if only you'd have had a .....

Old 10-21-2018   #96
bayernfan

it's impossible. prove me wrong.

Old 10-21-2018   #97
nickthetasmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
Never worry about how many photographs you might miss; worry only about what fantastic photographs you'll make.

G
Great advice

Instagram @other_strange_creatures

Old 10-21-2018   #98
al1966
Feed Your Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
As I wrote before, for tens of millions only 50mm lens was the only choice for decades.
Zenit and 50. Zorki and 50, FED and 50. Keiv and 50. Sold as kit and used as sold.
Vacations, New Year, November 7th demonstration, working in kolhoz, skying in the forest and so on. All with 50.
Yes for a good few years its all I had a Cosina CSM with a standard lens, I was a school kid and did not have the money left after film to buy another lens. Though I have on occasion gone away and just taken a camera with a 50 or similar angle of view in recent years.

http://jamesagrady.blog.com/
http://randompicture.wordpress.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old 10-21-2018   #99
CMur12

When I got my first SLR, as a student, having a camera that took interchangeable lenses was a novelty, and I often thought about the other lenses I wished I had.

When traveling and living abroad, armed with a compact fixed-lens RF, interchangeable lenses weren't an option, so I didn't even think about other focal lengths.

- Murray

Old 10-21-2018   #100
maigo

This is why this forum is still relevant.

When threads are resurrected you can have one or more cohorts answering the same question and if one cares enough to consider historical points of view, one can.
Perhaps thats the problem with FB and other new forms of discussion arenas - everything is now, me and whats been discussed before doesn’t matter because Im in a hurry to get the answer that I have already preconceived.

Michael.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 10-22-2018   #101
David Hughes
David Hughes

Although I had no choice and had to take the 50mm that came with the camera for years I was very glad when I could afford a wide and then a portrait lens.

Sometimes the detail is important and you need the 85/90mm for it (and for portraits) and sometimes the wider view is needed and then the 28/35m is useful.

A two lens outfit is best for travel, perhaps, if you are only interested in faces and places but I still prefer a zoom for its versatility. OTOH, going back to places I like and visit a lot a prime works nicely, say an Olympus XA or Konica A4...

Regards, David

Old 10-22-2018   #102
Ccoppola82

I donít know how I happened upon this thread from 2010. Likely reading while tired and didnít realize it was almost a decade old. Sorry about that! Still, interesting.

Instagram
Coppola_Art

Old 10-22-2018   #103
taemo

Quote:

or if just one a 35... .

Funny enough we are leaving for Hawaii in 7 days, I'm thinking of keeping my gear simple and only bring my 50mm and 21mm.
Thinking of swapping the 50mm with a 40mm if wanting something smaller and wider.

Old 10-22-2018   #104
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

I wish there was a good W-Nikkor in the 50mm focal length for the Nikonos.

Phil Forrest

Old 10-22-2018   #105
ColSebastianMoran
( IRL Richard Karash )

I remember the days when 50 was the default, and that was my lens in many instances.

Now... If only one lens, it would be 35 equivalent. I think it let's me get the whole scene more of the time. Small groups. Scenery. A building.

The 50 pushes me tighter, sometimes that works, but if only one lens, 35.

Next addition for me is a short tele for portraits. 35 and 80 equivalents, this is my always-ready camera bag these days.

In Classifieds Now: Nothing.
Use this link to leave feedback for me.

Named "Best heavy-game shooter in the Eastern Empire." Clubs: Anglo-Indian, Tankerville, and Bagatelle Card Club.
Sony E/FE, Nikon dSLR, and iPhone digital. Misc film.
Birds, portraits, events, family. Mindfulness, reflection, creativity, and stance.

Old 10-22-2018   #106
Ronald M

Years ago someone presented a trip to China. Afterwards he was asked what lenses and he scoffed a 50.

In college a presentation was made from Switzerland. Contaflex and 50 and slide film. They were gorgeous.

When contests were made in Leica Photography (1960`s) , tabulations were made
and far and away 50 was the most used lens.

Walther Benser`s book from 1965 had 90% 50, a sprinkling of 35 and 90.

I am ,moving back to 50 from a bag full of glass.

Old 10-22-2018   #107
Finglas

Around the time this thread originally started in 2010 - I spent over 5 months in Costa Rica and Panama. I had travelled for previous 15 years always with 2 lens (usually a zoom and one prime).

In 2010 I got rid of all the zooms and never missed them.

The trip in 2010 was one camera one lens, A Nikon FE and the 50mm f1.8 series E lens that I had since 1982. Film was Sensia slide film and also 100asa Reala.
All colour - so I agree, 1 camera and 1x 50mm lens it works very well.

Another thread recently wondered if RFF was still relevant? Bringing back an old thread like this and breathing fresh life into it, proves RFF has staying power.

John

Last edited by Finglas : 10-22-2018 at 13:48. Reason: showing 2 types of fuji film used on that trip

Old 10-22-2018   #108
Dave Jenkins
Loose Canon

ďForcing yourself to use restricted means is the sort of restraint that liberates invention. It obliges you to make a kind of progress that you canít even imagine in advance.Ē
-- Picasso

ďThe enemy of art is the absence of limitations.Ē
-- Orson Welles

My newest book, Backroads and Byways of Georgia is available now wherever books are sold.
Georgia: A Backroads Portrait http://blur.by/1gg1SMt is awaiting publication.
My best-selling book (28,000+ copies) is Rock City Barns: A Passing Era.
My web site: davidbjenkins.com

Old 10-22-2018   #109
splitimageview

On a recent trip I took 18, 50, and 135 equivalents.

The 50 was used for a couple of shots, the others for thousands.

I didn’t take the 50 on another trip the following month and didn’t miss it.

If I had to take only one lens tho, it would be the 50.

Old 10-22-2018   #110
kxl
Social Documentary

Quote:

or if just one a 35... .
Same here - back in 2010, a CV 35/1.2 on an Epson Rd1s

In 2018, a 23mm on a Fuji XT2.

"... I thought the only way to give us an incentive, to bring hope, is to show the pictures of the pristine planet - to see the innocence.Ē ― Sebastiao Salgado

Old 10-22-2018   #111
ozmoose

The uber-retro bearded bespectacled young gentleman with the Kodak Retina definitely has the right idea!!

Not so many decades ago, everyone except dedicated Rolleiflex owners and those few zillionaires who could afford Leica kits, traveled that way.Even in the '90s, I often saw older tourists with Retinas, Continas, Voigtlander Vitos and ancient Zeiss folders, happily shooting away, often with B&W film. My grandfather went to Europe in 1939 with a Nettar folder and photographed everything he saw with its f/6.3 lens, a yellow-green filter and (the original ortho) Verichrome film. I inherited his several hundred negatives from that journey, the only one he made out of Canada, and they print well to this day, even if the skies tend to be washed out.

The Kodak Retina post reminded me that I have, somewhere at home, a 1954 iic with the perfectly usable f/2.8 (not as zippy as the f/2, but that's how it is) Xenon, a 35 and an 85, and the Flash Gordon era universal viewfinder Kodak made for this wonderful camera. I must send it off to that fellow in New Zealand who restores and services Retinas, and put it to good use. In time one of my stepgrandkids may want to go on shooting with it, so I want it to be in the best possible nick.

One of my former neighbors in Tasmania at age 78 went on a once in a lifetime, round-the-world trip earlier this year, with a Canonet 28 I found in a charity shop and had serviced for her - it needed only the original seals replaced and some minor tweaking to the exposure system, nothing else, so not expensive. I bought her 40 rolls of Fuji color negative film from Vanbar's in Mebourne, and off she went. She was away three months in all and she used 22 rolls, all perfectly exposed. As older photographers tend to do, she made every image matter, and some of her landscapes of Japan, the American Southwest and the Calabria region of Italy, all of which she loved, are among her best. Well worth framing and putting up on her walls, which she plans to do.

Surely in our stressed-out overtechnoeverything age, the minimalist way is best. Whether film or digital, the less gear we carry, more likely the better the actual journey will be. Which should be the true purpose of travel anyway.

Old 10-22-2018   #112
maigo

Spring 2018 I went with my family (wife, 3yr, 8yr) to Malaysia, Singapore and Japan for five weeks.
I took my R4M with CV15/4.5, CV25/4, CV35/1.7-M, Canon 50/1.4 and GA645.

I forgot the 15 finder (brought the 25!), and used the 15 and 50 for a total of 6 shots. The 25 for about one roll worth of shots and the 35 for about 10 rolls.
I ran about 8 rolls through the GA645.

The shots I took were mostly street scenes and scenery around landmarks. If I were to travel without young children then I would use the 50 more often because I could watch a scene for longer time and move in closer to make pictures of people.

Michael.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 10-22-2018   #113
o-Tom-atic

I used a 40mm for my trip in Europe. Wider than an 50mm. But for travel, landscapes and architecture I still prefer the 35mm. For portraits and general photography the 50mm is the one I use.

Old 10-22-2018   #114
Contarama

Vacation I'm taking my whole kit and then end up using only one or two lenses most of the time. If I'm going anywhere I'm taking everything. My kit is very refined and compact for what all it can do.

Bottom line though...I pledge allegiance to the fast fifty

Old 10-22-2018   #115
robert blu
quiet photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoose View Post
...She was away three months in all and she used 22 rolls, all perfectly exposed. As older photographers tend to do, she made every image matter, and some of her landscapes of Japan, the American Southwest and the Calabria region of Italy, all of which she loved, are among her best. Well worth framing and putting up on her walls, which she plans to do.

Surely in our stressed-out overtechnoeverything age, the minimalist way is best. Whether film or digital, the less gear we carry, more likely the better the actual journey will be. Which should be the true purpose of travel anyway.
Great story, thanks for sharing.
And yes, +1 for the minimalist approach.
If 50 or 35 or...it only depends on individual shooting styles.
robert

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 10-23-2018   #116
Russell W. Barnes

For years I went around with a 40mm 'pancake' f2.8 'wide' standard lens on the front of my Pentax MX and nothing else. I managed fine, and the slimness of the lens was a real travel bonus. I still only use three prime lenses between my Pentax MX & ME super and I can't be on with zooms.

One lens means you have to appreciate more what you are about to photograph because you need to move about looking at it to frame it correctly and are not standing there fumbling about in your pockets or bag for that 28mm or 85mm or whatever whilst the light on your potential subject changes for the worse.

Old 10-23-2018   #117
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell W. Barnes View Post
... One lens means you have to appreciate more what you are about to photograph because you need to move about looking at it to frame it correctly and are not standing there fumbling about in your pockets or bag for that 28mm or 85mm or whatever whilst the light on your potential subject changes for the worse.
Exactly. You're always going to miss some shots for one reason or another, and I'd rather not miss them changing lenses.

The point about looking, moving and thinking is important too.

For decades my standard lens was a 35 Summilux. Now, my 50 C-Sonnar sees as much use. But I rarely switch between them when I'm out shooting. In fact I rarely even carry both of them when I'm out shooting.

Cheers,

R.

Old 10-23-2018   #118
olifaunt

If 50 mm is your natural field of vision, I would say go for it.

I used to us a 28 mm but my compositions sucked, and the common advice of zooming with your feet really doesn't work for the most part because it destroys perspective in compositions that have any depth; i.e., moving closer or further only works if everything in the intended image is at the same distance. It also makes you lose the decisive moment in candids. I was apprehensive about moving to 40 mm but soon realized that it captures exactly my field of attention. In other words, as soon as I see something I bring the camera to my eye right there and click. The composition will be as I saw it. No moving closer or further necessary. Now I only use 40 mm. If I were you I would test 50 mm at home to see if it does that for you before traveling.

Old 10-23-2018   #119
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

To go with just a 50 might be possible for someone, but not for me! For a three day trip to Missouri's springs and mills, I just took: one 24mm; one 28mm; a 35mm Summaron; a 35mm Summicron; a 40mm Voigtlander; a 50mm collapsible Summicron; a 50mm Planar; and a 75mm Summicron. I used them all! Should have taken the 21mm also.

Old 10-23-2018   #120
Russell W. Barnes

Quote:
Originally Posted by olifaunt View Post
It also makes you lose the decisive moment in candids. .
But does changing lenses not make you lose the decisive moment too? One lens removes any doubt about which lens to use and so you go for it.

This notion has made me more aware of possibilities since I started using the Mess-Baldix folding rangefinder. A bit like the freedom encountered when walking around naked.

So I'm told...