Viewfinder Parallax Correction issue
Old 10-30-2018   #1
mward

Viewfinder Parallax Correction issue

I bought an M4-2 and it's really clean, shutter speeds right on, I'm pretty happy with it but the viewfinder has an odd issue I've never been able to find referenced elsewhere. When I am focusing closely the parallax correction will stop responding once I am very close. Yesterday I was shooting very close, wide open, and when I released the shutter I saw the parallax correction 'drop' into the correct position as a result of the shutter release. It's like the lubricant on whatever it's riding on is dried out and so it's a bit sticky. Actuating the focusing lever with my finger I can see it stop before it's bottomed out and then hear it click when it drops into place finally. Sometimes it just doesn't finish, it stays 'up'. If I gently tap the camera I can get it to settle to the proper place.

Has anyone else ever had this? What did you do about it?

I am not going to open the camera up myself and fiddle with it, but it's new to me so I hate to send it off for an indeterminate amount of time to be fixed right now. I am mechanical enough to do it but I don't have all the right tools and don't know enough about how the rangefinder works to start mucking with it.

Is this something that's simple enough I could take it to my local guy and expect he could finish it rather quickly?

Sorry, just trying to understand what I'm in for. Thanks in advance.

Old 10-30-2018   #2
Roger Hicks

Yup. They stick. See the Five Leicas piece on my .eu web-site. It's not an expensive repair.

Cheers,

R.

Old 10-30-2018   #3
mward

Thanks, Roger. The local guy didn't seem to think there was a problem so when it bothers me enough I'll probably send it out to Youxin Ye to have it looked at. After a lot of googling I now understand how it works and I suspect it probably either needs to be cleaned or the spring tensioned a little. Or both.

Nice article.