Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Coffee With Mentors > Roger Hicks -- Author of The Rangefinder Book

Roger Hicks -- Author of The Rangefinder Book

Roger Hicks is a well known photographic writer, author of The Rangefinder Book, over three dozen other photographic books, and a frequent contributor to Shutterbug and Amateur Photographer. Unusually in today's photographic world, most of his camera reviews are film cameras, especially rangefinders. See www.rogerandfrances.com for further background (Frances is his wife Frances Schultz, acknowledged darkroom addict and fellow Shutterbug contributor) .

Tessina, anyone?
Old 12-16-2018   #1
Roger Hicks

Tessina, anyone?

All right, it's not a rangefinder and it's terminally weird: a 35mm TLR giving laterally reversed 14x21mm frames and using a non-standard cassette. Over 40 years ago I had one, but I sold it. Then a friend lent me another. If I hadn't already owned one, I'd probably buy it. Who else has had one or wondered about one? And if you've got one, here's the instruction book -- which took me quite a long time to scan and format.

Cheers,

R.

Old 12-16-2018   #2
p.giannakis
Pan Giannakis

The guy on the left been shredded by a Lazer beam is ultimately cool !

I remember reading about them some years ago on practical photography, these cameras were nice as curiosities but never practical. Surprised to see the wrist watch belt.

The Monochrome Archives
Instagram

Old 12-16-2018   #3
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.giannakis View Post
The guy on the left been shredded by a Lazer beam is ultimately cool !

I remember reading about them some years ago on practical photography, these cameras were nice as curiosities but never practical. Surprised to see the wrist watch belt.
Dear Pan,

This is the ONLY time I've ever seen static in my own photography -- and what a wonderful piece of luck that it panned out as it did. The other end of the bolt is really boring. Shame it's such a bloody awful photograph in every other way. My only defence is that I took it over 40 years ago.

Cheers,

R.

Old 12-16-2018   #4
p.giannakis
Pan Giannakis

How easy was it to source film for these cameras back then?

The Monochrome Archives
Instagram

Old 12-16-2018   #5
presspass
filmshooter

The Tesssina is one of those cameras I have always thought I should have but for some reason rational thought intervened each time. I hope I can continue to resist, as I already have too many cameras I don't shoot regularly.

Old 12-16-2018   #6
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.giannakis View Post
How easy was it to source film for these cameras back then?
As far as I know, it was normal to roll your own, as it shows in the instruction book.

Cheers,

R.

Old 12-16-2018   #7
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by presspass View Post
The Tesssina is one of those cameras I have always thought I should have but for some reason rational thought intervened each time. I hope I can continue to resist, as I already have too many cameras I don't shoot regularly.
Hold on to that rational thought! As I say in the piece, they're fun, but hardly practical. As far as I recall, I paid 40 for mine in the 70s as a bachelor in my 20s with quite a good income. Paying 500+ now for another one looks pretty silly. Even if you wanted to take up plumbing....

Cheers,

R.