DD-X diluted yesterday 1+4.
Old 07-19-2011   #1
HLing

DD-X diluted yesterday 1+4.

I developed just 4 rolls yesterday with DD-X. Wanting to use it up within 24 hours, I looked at it just now, and find there's a light greenish gray film on the bottle.

Does't that mean the developer has lost its strengh? what should i do?

Old 07-19-2011   #2
tlitody

if you are talking aboyt developer you have used and intend to use again, then that green colour will be the dyes(anti halation and others) in the film which come out during film processing. It should be OK to use again if that is what Ilford say you can do.

Old 07-19-2011   #3
HLing

Thanks! Yes, I'm talking about Ilford DD-X developer.
Now I just have to decide how many more rolls of film I can use the 16 oz of diluted solution for. Ilford says 33 oz can stretch to develop 10 rolls of 135. That roughly comes to 2.5 batches of 4 rolls per batch. With 16 oz I can do 2 rolls per batch, but am not sure how far to stretch it?

Old 07-19-2011   #4
Bob Michaels
nobody special

Reusing developer is a personal choice as it can be done. Personally, I find my time spent photographing valuable and developer cheap (even DDX). I strive for consistency so everything is one-shot for me.

Old 07-19-2011   #5
Ronald M

After all the work to get a good image on film and the cost of film, you worry about reusing developer? Makes no sense.

In the future, mix only as much as you need for one session.

Old 07-19-2011   #6
tlitody

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLing View Post
Thanks! Yes, I'm talking about Ilford DD-X developer.
Now I just have to decide how many more rolls of film I can use the 16 oz of diluted solution for. Ilford says 33 oz can stretch to develop 10 rolls of 135. That roughly comes to 2.5 batches of 4 rolls per batch. With 16 oz I can do 2 rolls per batch, but am not sure how far to stretch it?
Just one thing, Developers oxidise and water has a lot of oygen in it. So the life of developer once you mix it to working strength tends to be very short so don't push your luck. Like the others here, I use one shot and discard it but if you are doing two or three uses in one session then you should be OK.
It's activity will reduce with each use so again check what the adjustment should be from the datasheet. 24 hours is OK for some developers and not for others. Developer tends to go brown when it oxidises but not all of them and I'm not sure about DD-X.

You'll soon find out

4 more rolls turned out alright
Old 07-19-2011   #7
HLing

4 more rolls turned out alright

I understand and appreciate all who prize the image enough to not take the chance with the developer.

On the other hand, I figure now (as a beginner) is the time to test the limit and find out the answers to all the little nagging questions.

So, what I found out this time, is that 16 oz of diluted DD-X solution at 1+4 a day after the first 4 rolls (2 rolls per batch/tank, twice) can at least develop 4 more rolls in the same way. (2 rolls per batch). I stayed within 24 hours of the time the solution had been mixed. I did slightly increase the development time but not much more than 30 secs.

I developed 2 rolls of Tmax 400 first today, and then 2 rolls of Neopan 400. I would have reversed it as the pink dye of the Tmax always freak me out a little.

Thanks all for your replies! I think I got lucky today.

Old 07-19-2011   #8
tlitody

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLing View Post
I understand and appreciate all who prize the image enough to not take the chance with the developer.

On the other hand, I figure now (as a beginner) is the time to test the limit and find out the answers to all the little nagging questions.

So, what I found out this time, is that 16 oz of diluted DD-X solution at 1+4 a day after the first 4 rolls (2 rolls per batch/tank, twice) can at least develop 4 more rolls in the same way. (2 rolls per batch). I stayed within 24 hours of the time the solution had been mixed. I did slightly increase the development time but not much more than 30 secs.

I developed 2 rolls of Tmax 400 first today, and then 2 rolls of Neopan 400. I would have reversed it as the pink dye of the Tmax always freak me out a little.

Thanks all for your replies! I think I got lucky today.
Infact many developers are produced with reuse very much in mind, but it requires careful monitoring and replenishment. This works well for labs for with constant throughput but many hobbyists don't develop enough film to make it worth the hassle.

Old 07-19-2011   #9
goffer

I used to reuse developer but now I instead dilute and develop longer, usually XTOL 1:3. Negatives have come out more consistent now and cleaner too. I find that I get about the same times usage as well before refilling.