Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Half Frames / Subminiatures

Half Frames / Subminiatures This forum is for all half frame 35mm cameras, including the very popular Olympus Pens and their SLR cousins, the Pen F and Pen FT, as well as all smaller than half frame subminiature film cameras.

olympus Pen Original - how to load film?
Old 07-18-2011   #1
HLing

olympus Pen Original - how to load film?

i'm having trouble finding a manual for the Olympus Pen, 28mm/3.5 D.Zuiko. Thought I had loaded the film, but it never went anywhere apparently....

also, what is the closest focus range? 2 is the lowest number, but the dial continues a bit after that.

Thank!

Old 07-19-2011   #2
delible

Will try to attach a page from the manual about loading film.

When lens is turned counter-clockwise all the way past 2 the focus is set at 12 inches.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OlympusPenAndPenS08-09.jpg (28.0 KB, 54 views)

Old 07-20-2011   #3
HLing

Thanks Delible! It's great to have the 12 inch focus!

Since posting I've successfully loaded 1.5 roll. I didn't finish the first roll, because I wanted to get the C41 film to develop for a quick look. Well, I love the lens! But, there were some that didn't quite take. I got a lot more blank frames than I thought I took.

So, take two, I loaded another roll, HP5+ this time. Finished the roll. After taking out the film I checked the shutter again. They're not shutting properly. After fuzzing around I found that I have to keep the tension of the shutter wheel tight and holding it there while pressing the shutter to get my success rate of shutter-closing up.

This is a new problem. Would you happen to have any insight to this? Also, the yellow frame lines often have the bottom half of the rectangle distored/partly missing, though sometimes, it would all be there again. Does this affect exposure?

I really like this little camera. It has enticed me with the few great looking shots it's capable of. Any suggestions and solutions would be greatly welcomed. I only have 3 more days before returning it.

Old 07-20-2011   #4
delible

Well, if it seems in pretty good shape and you like it, sounds like a tune-up would be a good idea. 20 or so years ago my '59 Pen had a shutter problem (not exactly like yours) and I had it repaired by Essex camera in NJ; it's held up perfectly over that time so the repair was worth it. They also cleaned the viewfinder and that has helped a lot; I've found it one of the best vfs to use. I wonder if what you're noticing with the frame lines is just a matter of the light conditions in which you're using the camera. I took mine out to check and would see parts of the frame drop in and out depending on the light. It has no impact on the photo. Another advantage of a repair is that they would renew the light seals; the groove where the top of the removable back fits sometimes springs a leak. Good luck!

pics came out!
Old 07-20-2011   #5
HLing

pics came out!

So I couldn't wait. I developed the HP5+ at midnight. Relief! I'd say 85% of the images came out, just a few spots that looked clumped together, but more were the shots that were properly exposed in its own frame. The negatives are drying now, but I think I can sleep better knowing there is hope.

In the mean time I did some checking around. There are other Olympus Pens for sale, but it seems that the later versions are the dumbed down version. Am I correct. Then there's the F, which costs a lot more. I like that this Original Pen makes me think about my shots and not try to think for me.

Delible, I emailed Essex Camera repair, and will try to call them tomorrow to see if I can drop by. Thank you for your help and reassurance!

Old 08-06-2011   #6
BradM

A good list of the Pen series is here: http://www.subclub.org/shop/olympus.htm

The Pen F is a half-frame SLR, a very desirable piece of equipment for both collectors and users.

The S range was similar to the original Pen but with more shutter speeds.

The E range was the budget range with fixed focusing and auto exposure. There are several different models in this range with different features.

The D was the middle of the road range (more expensive than the original Pen/Pen S but cheaper than the Pen F system). It had an uncoupled meter, which was either selenium (D) or CdS (D2) and a faster lens (32mm / f1.9 for D and D2 or f1.7 for the D3) and faster speed (1/500).

The W had a wide angle lens.

Last edited by BradM : 08-06-2011 at 22:06.

Old 08-10-2011   #7
HLing

I've been using the Olympus Pen Original happily ever since I got it back from Essex Camera repair. They did a beautiful job fixing the yellow frame lines and whatever was loose rattling around in there. It's now bright and clear.

I had posted this link in the regional board of pictures I took just after the repair: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...7&l=6b5501a2f0

I had doubt of how well the half frame would enlarge, but am happy to find that this is not the same as in the digital world where resolution would be lost. Indeed, if the picture is good, it doesn't get less "good" when blown up. I love film.

Old 08-10-2011   #8
pinkarmy

congratualation!
a great camera (i love half frame cameras)

and i love film too!!