Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

iPhone fake polaroid look....
Old 09-27-2011   #1
Riverman

iPhone fake polaroid look....

Take a look at facebook these days and there seems to be a mini mania for the polaroid 'look'. On the one hand the emulation technology is impressive but it is sad to contrast with the demise of the real thing. I think what irks me most is that I suspect many buying into this craze care not a hoot about the demise of film.

I play guitar and in the audio realm I've found digital emulation to be really useful. My little Vox valvetronix emulates quite convincingly the sounds of some famous tube amps, plus I can use those sounds at a low, practice volume. Yet for guitarists - including professionals - all tube is still king. Emulation and the real thing sit happily side by side without the one threatening to displace the other.

Anyhow, I just wish that more of the fake polaroiders would go out and shoot some of the real thing!

Old 10-05-2011   #2
Griffin
Grampa's cameras user

I couldn't agree more. Nothing beats the real thing.

Old 10-06-2011   #3
celluloidprop

I have a Fuji Instax that I bought off Ebay from Japan (same film as Instax Wide plus it has a basic autofocus and wider range of apertures/shutter speeds) - I take it to parties and for special occasions, but it's $1/shot.

Since the camera comes with the phone, Hipstamatic/Instagram/etc. iPhone shots are free - hard to convince people to go 'really expensive' over free.

"Nothing" is free
Old 10-06-2011   #4
HLing

"Nothing" is free

Quote:
Since the camera comes with the phone, Hipstamatic/Instagram/etc. iPhone shots are free - hard to convince people to go 'really expensive' over free.
Actually, $1 for something you can hold in your hands vs the intangible image locked inside a cell phone/computer... I'd take the real thing any day.

I'm loving the fuji peel-apart B & W with a simple Minute Maker Color Pack Land Camera these days. Talk about instant gratification!