Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

What's your latest shopgoodwill.com purchase?
Old 05-03-2012   #1
driver

What's your latest shopgoodwill.com purchase?

Judging by the ending bids on all of the photographic equipment, shopgoodwill is no secret. Quite frankly, most items seem to sell for way too much - even though I'm pleased that all of the "obsolete" film cameras are going somewhere other than a landfill.

I'm currently avoiding the website due to the vague descriptions, self timers in the down position, really small pics and no return policy. I did manage to score a 1st gen Yashica Electro (Japan) along with a Minolta AL - both operational and in very good shape (having the original cases helps). The Minolta has an incredibly sharp 45mm Rokkor PF lens and the Electro is no slouch either.

So fess up - who's buying the Voigtlanders, Contax and all the SLR's. I swear there must have been literally tons of Pentax Super ME's donated .

Old 05-03-2012   #2
driver

Oh look, a "professional" Electro! So much for me avoiding the website

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions...a-9905304.html

Old 05-03-2012   #3
driver

OK, I'm done after this post - really . . . . .

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions...x-9908918.html

Old 05-03-2012   #4
yossarian123
Sam I Am

there must have been literally billions of Yashica Electros back in the day.

Old 05-03-2012   #5
driver

Word. Any they all pretty much kick ass for what they were marketed for. If it were not for that one major wear item My lowly MG-1 is a real gem.

Old 05-03-2012   #6
Brian Legge

Picked up a Canonnet 17 GIII two years ago. It was in a box with a bunch of junkers. I wasn't the high bidder; someone else outbid me but didn't pay so I ended up with it.

Its the only time I've purchased something as almost everything else goes well beyond ebay prices with even safety when purchasing than ebay.

Old 05-03-2012   #7
driver

"Its the only time I've purchased something as almost everything else goes well beyond ebay prices with even safety when purchasing than ebay."

- agreed!

Old 05-03-2012   #8
batterytypehah!
Lord of the Dings

I thought I was the only one finding them overpriced, especially considering the poor presentation of the items. People who diss ebay really should take a look around at the alternatives first.

Besides, it doesn't smell like a real Goodwill

“Hair-splitting, of course. But hey, it's a LEICA. Probably there are those who get excited about the colour of the hairs you split.” – Roger Hicks

Contax IIa + Leica IIIf + M3 (project) + Zorki-1 (project) + Fuji GS645 + FED-2 + Vitomatic II + Revue 400SE + Olympus XA + more + still more

Old 05-03-2012   #9
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

The Electro takes great pictures, it has a wonderful lens, incredibly intuative meter but in my opinion, ergonomically, it deserves to be landfill!

Old 05-03-2012   #10
Noll

It'd be nice if they had a "buy it now"-type option, not unlike what one would have in a real thrift store! But alas, too many people know about it, and not all Goodwill stores actually auction off their good stuff, so brick-and-mortar it is for me.

Old 05-03-2012   #11
driver

I'm going to refrain from defending a great but flawed rangefinder . . . . oh wait, that would include many more makes and models

Old 05-03-2012   #12
Jobin

I bought a couple user m9's off there for a good price

Old 05-03-2012   #13
Steve Bellayr

I bought a number of items from them ALL not working.

Old 05-03-2012   #14
driver

ohh, nicely brassed M9's are sweet!!!

Old 05-03-2012   #15
driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bellayr View Post
I bought a number of items from them ALL not working.

Yup, '"not tested" sums it up.

Old 05-03-2012   #16
driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noll View Post
It'd be nice if they had a "buy it now"-type option, not unlike what one would have in a real thrift store! But alas, too many people know about it, and not all Goodwill stores actually auction off their good stuff, so brick-and-mortar it is for me.
I agree - support the local economy. People need jobs. I will never diss Goodwill as an organization - it's a mission. In fact, I would like to thank the person who placed the Vivitar 35ES on the shelf for me to purchase. It's a win/win situation.

Old 05-03-2012   #17
Basset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
The Electro takes great pictures, it has a wonderful lens, incredibly intuative meter but in my opinion, ergonomically, it deserves to be landfill!
+1, except when it comes to changing film - then it blows Leica out of the water.

My Flickr Photostream

Old 05-03-2012   #18
maclaine

I bought a Ricoh KR-5 Super II that came with the 35-70mm kit lens for $30 a few months back. It showed up looking like it had never been used. Even the light seal foam looked brand spanking new. It worked like a charm, but I decided to go with Nikon instead of K/M42 mount stuff for my main SLR setup, and I sold it. No regrets, though.

Old 05-04-2012   #19
rbiemer
Unabashed Amateur

I have bought several cameras and some other stuff from Shopgoodwill. A mixed bag of working or non working gear.
And, I really am happy to take those chances; I figure it like this: I get to give a worthwhile organization a few dollars--and that's the real point of it for me--and, sometimes, I get a decent camera out of it.
I have done better with the mixed lots than with individual cameras.
Any more, my assumption is that the camera will NOT be working when I get it and then I can be pleasantly surprised if it turns out other wise.
My last purchase there was a lovely "Cortland-Chase Optical" camera. Frankly I only bought it because Cortland is the name of my hometown. So, for $7 plus shipping--another $9 I think--I got a goofy decoration for my bookshelf.
Rob

You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
--Mark Twain

Old 05-04-2012   #20
HLing

It's more addictive than...well, it's a terrible place for collectors, but for people who are looking for something to actually use, or learn from using (like myself), it's been most educational!

(like Driver, I also love the Minolta AL I got from there, nevermind the owner's name carved, not engraved, carved, onto the camera and the case; it only goes to show how much this camera was loved, and used, and therefore had a great chance of it working)

Old 05-04-2012   #21
nparsons13

I guess I've had good luck with shopgoodwill.com. I've bought at least twelve cameras there, and only three were clunkers. And from two of those I got nice lenses: an Oreston 50/1.8 and a Rikenon 55/1.4 with bokeh like butter. The third--a Petri Half 7--was a total bust, but I consider the $5.00 I paid for it a contribution to a worthy charity and don't feel bad about it at all.

I've bought two Electro 35s there: an original model and a GSN. From the original I learned how to replace the POD, and now both work perfectly.

My last purchase just arrived today: a set of Yashikor auxiliary lenses and viewfinder for the Electro 35. I'll probably never use the lenses, but I'm going to experiment with the viewfinder, which has nice, clear 28mm and 50mm frame lines, on other cameras.

Think of it as a relatively inexpensive way to relieve GAS pains.

Old 05-04-2012   #22
tjh

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver View Post
Oh look, a "professional" Electro! So much for me avoiding the website

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions...a-9905304.html
wow - good purchase

Old 05-04-2012   #23
JohnTF

Location: Home is Cleveland, Summers often Europe, Winters often Mexico.
I stopped looking after I got a couple of real dogs, i.e. missing parts, etc. However, when I contacted them, they did refund my money.

I helped them with a few items, but they really have no idea what they are selling.

I did score a Fuji 690 low because it was jammed, turned out the body shutter was closed, still needed a CLA, so a lot of work to sell it for a few bucks.

It is interesting how people bid stuff up.

Regards, John

Josef Sudek