Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica M Lenses and Images

Old 08-16-2019   #281
KEVIN-XU 愛 forever
所謂的攝影,就是人生。

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunston View Post
when is the delivery date... lol
Thank you for your interest. I will update the information here once I have it. Please stay tuned.

Kevin

所謂的攝影,就是人生。
---荒木經惟

https://www.instagram.com/kevinxbegin/

Old 08-16-2019   #282
KEVIN-XU 愛 forever
所謂的攝影,就是人生。

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastel View Post
ah .. shanghai.
nong ho
:-)

i must confess, even though i already have two summicrons in 35mm (asph and ver. 2), i am interested.

Kevin, 谢谢你。

cheers
sebastian
Nong ho sebastian,

You know Shanghainese! I guess you've been to Shanghai before. I have two 35mm Summicron Ver. 1 and Pre-Asph. I will receive the prototype replica soon. Can't wait to compare it with my original summicrons. If you don't have the Ver. 1, this replica really worth a try.

Cheers,
Kevin

所謂的攝影,就是人生。
---荒木經惟

Old 08-16-2019   #283
jnalepa

Thanks for the film test shots! Everything looks like it's coming together nicely. I know I'm not alone is saying that I'm eagerly awaiting its release.

Old 08-16-2019   #284
ashwinrao1
Ashwin Rao

My gosh, how awesome is this. Count me in! I want one. I just sold my 35 8 element, so this would be a literally perfect replacement. Loved reading the thread the passion being invested in this project.

[Test Samples] Leica Summicron 35mm f2 Replica Prototype (Second Version)
Old 08-22-2019   #285
KEVIN-XU 愛 forever
所謂的攝影,就是人生。

Last week I have released some more details about the refined version of the prototype. The maker brought this new prototype to Japan and meet with the Leica fans there. He took a few photos with this lens during the trip. He sent them to me and want me to share with you guys.

Camera: Leica M240

Without any post-editing

[test samples] Leica Summicron 35mm f2 Eight Element Replica Prototype (Second Version.) by Kevin-Xu, on Flickr

[test samples] Leica Summicron 35mm f2 Eight Element Replica Prototype (Second Version.) by Kevin-Xu, on Flickr

By the way, I am still waiting for the first version prototype arrive at my home... It's painful to wait...

所謂的攝影,就是人生。
---荒木經惟

Old 08-22-2019   #286
farlymac
PF McFarland

Looks promising.

PF

Old 08-23-2019   #287
Ecar

Thanks - looks great!
Do I see black paint in that 1st picture?

Old 08-23-2019   #288
KEVIN-XU 愛 forever
所謂的攝影,就是人生。

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecar View Post
Thanks - looks great!
Do I see black paint in that 1st picture?
That's right! It's the second version of the black paint prototype.

所謂的攝影,就是人生。
---荒木經惟

Old 08-25-2019   #289
KEVIN-XU 愛 forever
所謂的攝影,就是人生。

Taken with Sony A7 RII + Leica Summicron 35mm f2 Replica Prototype (Second Version)

JPEG file without any post editing

A7 RII with Replica Prototype Second Version (Brass Version.) by Kevin-Xu, on Flickr

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Taken with Leica M240 + Leica Summicron 35mm f2 Replica Prototype (Second Version)

JPEG file without any post editing

所謂的攝影,就是人生。
---荒木經惟

Old 08-26-2019   #290
Out to Lunch

Interesting. Since the original was a 35mm film lens, wondering if you could share images taken with a film camera. Cheers, Peter

Old 08-26-2019   #291
Erik van Straten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out to Lunch View Post
Interesting. Since the original was a 35mm film lens, wondering if you could share images taken with a film camera. Cheers, Peter

Good idea. They can send the lens to me to try it out on film.

Erik.

Old 08-26-2019   #292
Out to Lunch

Erik would be an excellent tester of this particular lens. He may also convince me to buy it. Cheers, Peter

Old 08-29-2019   #293
Vincent

Hello

I'm following this thread from the start , and I can say I'm fascinated by the dedication it seems to take , the apparent quality of the finish , the price ... I personnaly find the choice of this lens ( instead of others ) interesting for several reasons :
-mechanical quality
-I've always found that one of the better aspect optically is the quite good homogeneity from center to edges , not something often found in old wides
-of course prices of the original
Now there is my question : one weak point of the original is the coating . Why would you want the same ? Would we lose something ( price , rendering , respect of the legend ... ) with a hard modern coating that would free my mind of using my fragile expensive old one anytime ?
Errr ... and for my own taste , did you think of proposing it in black matte finish to go with ... a lot of bodies with matte finish ?
I really hope you will succeed , thank you for your attention .

Vincent

Old 08-29-2019   #294
Archlich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
Hello

I'm following this thread from the start , and I can say I'm fascinated by the dedication it seems to take , the apparent quality of the finish , the price ... I personnaly find the choice of this lens ( instead of others ) interesting for several reasons :
-mechanical quality
-I've always found that one of the better aspect optically is the quite good homogeneity from center to edges , not something often found in old wides
Now there is my question : one weak point of the original is the coating . Why would you want the same ? Would we lose something ( price , rendering , respect of the legend ... ) with a hard modern coating that would free my mind of using my fragile expensive old one anytime ?
Errr ... and for my own taste , did you think of proposing it in black matte finish to go with ... a lot of bodies with matte finish ?

Vincent
I assume that any "improvements" would kinda defeat the purpose for it being a "replica" while bringing in rooms for nitpicking like "the modern coating makes the rendering harsher than the original".

Old 08-30-2019   #295
KEVIN-XU 愛 forever
所謂的攝影,就是人生。

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik van Straten View Post
Good idea. They can send the lens to me to try it out on film.

Erik.
Hi Erik, are you living in the States? I will only receive one prototype lens and will do some test first.

所謂的攝影,就是人生。
---荒木經惟

Old 08-30-2019   #296
winzenbourg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out to Lunch View Post
Erik would be an excellent tester of this particular lens. He may also convince me to buy it. Cheers, Peter
+1 for this!

Old 08-30-2019   #297
Erik van Straten

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVIN-XU 愛 forever View Post
Hi Erik, are you living in the States? I will only receive one prototype lens and will do some test first.
I'm living in Europe, Amsterdam. I really would like to do some tests with the lens on film. I have the 8 elements Leica lens, so I can make a direct comparison. I can make prints too, if you like, b+w gelatine silver prints, split grade.

Erik.

Like this: Leica MP, Summilux 50mm f/1.4 v1 black paint, 400-2TMY film printed on Adox MCC 110 paper:

Old 08-30-2019   #298
KEVIN-XU 愛 forever
所謂的攝影,就是人生。

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
Hello

-mechanical quality

Vincent
Hi Vincent,

Thank you very much for writing this comment. Regarding your question, the maker gave me his answer.

This is his first replica project. He wants to make it as close as possible to the original Summicron 35 2. He breaks down two original lenses and has analysis all the coatings on each element. He said the original one used two types of single coating. And they used exactly the same as the original.
But at the same time, they made another sample version with multiple coatings to improve the performance. And they will do the test between the version with original coating and multiple coatings.

About your painting preference, they use the copper surface baked-enamel coating processes instead of the oxidation blackening process on the aluminum alloy surface. So matte black will not be included in the painting option. I am sorry about that.

Kevin

所謂的攝影,就是人生。
---荒木經惟

Old 08-30-2019   #299
KEVIN-XU 愛 forever
所謂的攝影,就是人生。

Quote:
I'm living in Europe, Amsterdam. I really would like to do some tests with the lens on film. I have the 8 elements Leica lens, so I can make a direct comparison. I can make prints too, if you like, b+w gelatine silver prints.

Erik.

Like this: Leica MP, Summilux 50mm f/1.4 v1 black paint, 400-2TMY film printed on Adox MCC 110 paper:

I've read your post about the black paint 50 1.4. That is one of my dream lenses. Great find! I am quite jealous.

I also have two last year production original 8-elements in mint condition. And will do the comparison test between them on Leica M10 and my film camera.

Leitz Summicron 35mm f/2 First version. Last year production. by Kevin-Xu, on Flickr

After I have done some test, I would be happy to send the lens to you for a week or so to test it if you are also living in the States. I will talk to the maker to see what can be done in this case.

By the way, I still haven't received the lens since the China customs and US customs cost more than two weeks to release my package...

Kevin

所謂的攝影,就是人生。
---荒木經惟

Old 09-06-2019   #300
KEVIN-XU 愛 forever
所謂的攝影,就是人生。

Finally, I received the first version of the prototype. The coating looks very similar to my final year production Ver.1 Summicron 35 2.

I will post my own test pictures later.

Leica Summicron 35mm f2 Eight Element Replica Prototype made in China by Kevin-Xu, on Flickr

Leica Summicron 35mm f2 Eight Element Replica Prototype made in China by Kevin-Xu, on Flickr

所謂的攝影,就是人生。
---荒木經惟

Old 09-06-2019   #301
nickthetasmaniac

That looks very good for a prototype! And the naked brass actually looks pretty classy (in a steam punk kind of way)...

Instagram @other_strange_creatures

Old 09-06-2019   #302
Erik van Straten

Yes, the lens looks good! Would like to see the test pictures!

Erik.

Old 09-06-2019   #303
teddy
Jose Morales

Quote:
Hi Vincent,

Thank you very much for writing this comment. Regarding your question, the maker gave me his answer.

This is his first replica project. He wants to make it as close as possible to the original Summicron 35 2. He breaks down two original lenses and has analysis all the coatings on each element. He said the original one used two types of single coating. And they used exactly the same as the original.
But at the same time, they made another sample version with multiple coatings to improve the performance. And they will do the test between the version with original coating and multiple coatings.

About your painting preference, they use the copper surface baked-enamel coating processes instead of the oxidation blackening process on the aluminum alloy surface. So matte black will not be included in the painting option. I am sorry about that.

Kevin
What a SUPERB project - just AWESOME - I wish you the best of success!!!

Old 09-06-2019   #304
Huss

Looks very nice but I hope the production models will not have 'made in China' in such big script!
Nothing against China (I have lots of 7A lenses), just it ruins the look.

Old 09-07-2019   #305
KEVIN-XU 愛 forever
所謂的攝影,就是人生。

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthetasmaniac View Post
That looks very good for a prototype! And the naked brass actually looks pretty classy (in a steam punk kind of way)...
Steampunk is really a nice way to describe the look of the brass lens! I like it.

所謂的攝影,就是人生。
---荒木經惟

Old 09-07-2019   #306
KEVIN-XU 愛 forever
所謂的攝影,就是人生。

Quote:
Yes, the lens looks good! Would like to see the test pictures!

Erik.
I will upload some pictures this weekend and a more will come.

所謂的攝影,就是人生。
---荒木經惟

Old 09-07-2019   #307
KEVIN-XU 愛 forever
所謂的攝影,就是人生。

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddy View Post
What a SUPERB project - just AWESOME - I wish you the best of success!!!
Thank you very much! It means a lot to the maker.

所謂的攝影,就是人生。
---荒木經惟

Old 09-07-2019   #308
KEVIN-XU 愛 forever
所謂的攝影,就是人生。

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Looks very nice but I hope the production models will not have 'made in China' in such big script!
Nothing against China (I have lots of 7A lenses), just it ruins the look.
Sorry, I guess the final version will still keep the Made In China engraving. The maker is proud of his works and wants to let the worlds know it comes from China.

所謂的攝影,就是人生。
---荒木經惟

Old 09-07-2019   #309
KEVIN-XU 愛 forever
所謂的攝影,就是人生。

Finally, I could use this lovely lens to take some pictures. These are my first version prototype test phots.

Please click on the photo if you want to see the larger version to get more details.

PS: The Exif information on Flickr is not correct. I will try to fix this error next time.

All photos taken with Leica M10 + Leica Summicron 35mm f2 Eight Element Replica Prototype First Version

Leica Summicron 35mm f2 Eight Element Replica Prototype First Version by Kevin-Xu, on Flickr

Leica Summicron 35mm f2 Eight Element Replica Prototype First Version by Kevin-Xu, on Flickr

@f/2.0

@f/2.0

@f/2.0

@f/2.0

Please enjoy,
Kevin

所謂的攝影,就是人生。
---荒木經惟

Old 09-07-2019   #310
Deardorff38

Thank you Kevin, The brass prototype looks beautiful. Thank you for the entire thread about this lens.

Old 09-07-2019   #311
aizan

This project is wonderful and praiseworthy.

I think they should even put the city of manufacture on the front name ring where "Wetzlar" would have been.

Personally, I would engrave "China" in upper and lower case on the focus ring like the variant below.

Old 09-07-2019   #312
santino
eXpect me

Did you know that way back in the past England forced Germany to put „made in Germany“ on their products?
Yeah, Germany produced knock offs, so did Japan etc.

I like this project!

Old 09-07-2019   #313
Huss

I case people mis-understand, I have no problem with it saying Made in China. I would just like the lettering to be a little smaller as I think no matter what it says, it is too large.

Old 09-07-2019   #314
Erik van Straten

I see no distortion and very sharp pictures. So far, so good. Now I would like to see some bokeh-samples: close up portraits at f/2 and focus exactly on the eyes.

Erik.

Old 09-07-2019   #315
Huss

Quote:
Finally, I could use this lovely lens to take some pictures. These are my first version prototype test phots.

Please click on the photo if you want to see the larger version to get more details.

PS: The Exif information on Flickr is not correct. I will try to fix this error next time.

All photos taken with Leica M10 + Leica Summicron 35mm f2 Eight Element Replica Prototype First Version

@f/2.0

@f/2.0

@f/2.0

@f/2.0

Please enjoy,
Kevin
How did you process these images? They all have that orange/cyan look which is very popular on social media right now.

As Erik mentioned, some closer shots at f2 would be nice as these further ones show extended DOF.

Old 09-07-2019   #316
KEVIN-XU 愛 forever
所謂的攝影,就是人生。

Quote:
I case people mis-understand, I have no problem with it saying Made in China. I would just like the lettering to be a little smaller as I think no matter what it says, it is too large.
Hi Huss, I didn't mis-understand your message. Thank you for your advice. I will let the maker know your suggestion. Please keep in mind that this is the first version of the prototype, the main purpose for it is to test out its optical performance. You can see that many details of this version are not refined. The second version is much better in my opinion. And now he is still trying to improve it.

所謂的攝影,就是人生。
---荒木經惟

Old 09-07-2019   #317
KEVIN-XU 愛 forever
所謂的攝影,就是人生。

Quote:
I see no distortion and very sharp pictures. So far, so good. Now I would like to see some bokeh-samples: close up portraits at f/2 and focus exactly on the eyes.

Erik.
Thank you for your comment Erik. It does very sharp when stopped down to f/2.8 ~ f/4.0. If the lighting situation is not too challenge, it could also produce very sharp images at f/2.0.

I have taken a portrait that day at f/2.8. I will upload it later. I will also try to take some portraits very soon.

所謂的攝影,就是人生。
---荒木經惟

Old 09-07-2019   #318
KEVIN-XU 愛 forever
所謂的攝影,就是人生。

Quote:
How did you process these images? They all have that orange/cyan look which is very popular on social media right now.

As Erik mentioned, some closer shots at f2 would be nice as these further ones show extended DOF.

Yeah, I will do the portrait test later.

I edit my DNG files on Photoshop. I will adjust the white balance, shadow, highlight, etc. And then I will use my preset to get to the basic look I want. I will adjust the color balance, this and that to refine my picture to get to the final result.

Well, I am trying very hard to find my own style. I am now still learning and exploring. Long way to go.

By the way, I use 27'' iMac to edit and view my pictures. I suppose different monitor will present the color slightly different.

Kevin

所謂的攝影,就是人生。
---荒木經惟

Old 09-07-2019   #319
KEVIN-XU 愛 forever
所謂的攝影,就是人生。

@f/2.0

This photo was taken facing the sunlight.

所謂的攝影,就是人生。
---荒木經惟

Could we see a DNG file please?
Old 09-07-2019   #320
yossi

Could we see a DNG file please?

Quote:
Yeah, I will do the portrait test later.

I edit my DNG files on Photoshop. I will adjust the white balance, shadow, highlight, etc. And then I will use my preset to get to the basic look I want. I will adjust the color balance, this and that to refine my picture to get to the final result.

Well, I am trying very hard to find my own style. I am now still learning and exploring. Long way to go.

By the way, I use 27'' iMac to edit and view my pictures. I suppose different monitor will present the color slightly different.

Kevin
Dear Kevin,

(First forgive me if I sound blunt, I don't mean to be critical.)

While you were trying to process these pictures to your own taste, it would not serve the purpose of letting others objectively evaluate how this prototype lens performs. The colours, the sharpness, the contrast are all over-processed IMHO. Just compare with those earlier test pictures that you posted, huge difference!

May I suggest that you share a few of these test shots in DNG format and that would show the intrinsic performance of this prototype lens.

Best,

Yossi