Old 10-10-2017   #321
Flat Twin
Film Shooter

Leica M4, 50mm Elmar-M - Kodak TMY-2 400 - Perceptol 1+2.

Lytham, Lancashire. August 2017. by Flat Twin, on Flickr

mounting modern Elmar-M 2.8/50mm
Old 10-18-2017   #322
F456
Tom H

mounting modern Elmar-M 2.8/50mm

May I just confirm, in case I do something silly and damage my shutter curtain....

Am I right in saying you should mount the lens in the extended position but that thereafter it is perfectly safe to close the lens so that the barrel is fully retracted?

The bodies I would be using are an M6 original (small shutter speed dial) or an M6TTL (large dial) or M7. At some stage I might use anything from M3 through to M4-P but not a CL or M5.

Thank you; I have been lucky enough to find one in virtually unused condition from a local shop but no instruction sheet with it. Tom

Old 10-18-2017   #323
Ronald M

Quote:
Originally Posted by F456 View Post
May I just confirm, in case I do something silly and damage my shutter curtain....

Am I right in saying you should mount the lens in the extended position but that thereafter it is perfectly safe to close the lens so that the barrel is fully retracted?

The bodies I would be using are an M6 original (small shutter speed dial) or an M6TTL (large dial) or M7. At some stage I might use anything from M3 through to M4-P but not a CL or M5.

Thank you; I have been lucky enough to find one in virtually unused condition from a local shop but no instruction sheet with it. Tom
Simple. Use like any Leica lens and enjoy.

It does not extend significantly deeper into the body when collapsed.
If yours does, it is a plain Elmar, not Elmar M, but still a nice lens.

Old 10-18-2017   #324
Dralowid
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by F456 View Post

The ones to worry about are the CL and the M5

Old 10-18-2017   #325
F456
Tom H

OK, you've put my mind at rest. Thanks. Looking forward to shooting with this. After using the very fast lenses for the last 20-25 years I'm enjoying moving gradually to the small jewels with 39mm filter size; portable and somehow what Leica was originally about (I think).

Old 10-23-2017   #326
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Can the vented hood 12585 be used on the Elmar-M? Or do you have to use the screw-in hood that comes with it?

Old 10-23-2017   #327
Richard G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-F View Post
Can the vented hood 12585 be used on the Elmar-M? Or do you have to use the screw-in hood that comes with it?
I'm pretty sure I've used the vented 12585 on mine, but just now I can't get it to go on. It is a very snug fit on my DR Summicron, so maybe it's a problem of my particular hood. I can't see how it would obstruct, if it will actually go on. My Canadian 50mm Summicron 12538 plastic hood just fits and works fine.

Old 10-23-2017   #328
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard G View Post
I'm pretty sure I've used the vented 12585 on mine, but just now I can't get it to go on. It is a very snug fit on my DR Summicron, so maybe it's a problem of my particular hood. I can't see how it would obstruct, if it will actually go on. My Canadian 50mm Summicron 12538 plastic hood just fits and works fine.
The reason for my concern was that, just looking at pictures of it, I can't tell if there is a groove for the hood to clip into. But if the plastic one goes on securely, then I guess the 12585 should work OK. Thanks, Richard.

Old 10-23-2017   #329
presspass
filmshooter

The screw-in collapsible generic rubber hoods work just fine with this lens. They provide more protection than the hood that comes with it, and don't add much to the size of the lens when it's collapsed.

Old 10-23-2017   #330
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald M View Post
It does not extend significantly deeper into the body when collapsed.
If yours does, it is a plain Elmar, not Elmar M, but still a nice lens.
From pictures (I don't have one) it looks that way to me, and I should think it would be OK to collapse into the M5; but then:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dralowid View Post
The ones to worry about are the CL and the M5
And finally, (and this may be the final word):

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilkins View Post
The Head Bartender says no. So I won't try with my M5 and Elmar-M.
http://https://www.cameraquest.com/m5.htm
I plan to buy one, even if I can't collapse it into my M5.

Old 10-23-2017   #331
Ronald M

My metal Leica vented hood works fine on the Elmar-m . The reverse is not true, i.e. elmar M screw in on 50 mm V3 where I get vignetting at 2 and perhaps 2.8.

This tells me the screw in hood although small, is more efficient.

Old 10-23-2017   #332
Ronald M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dralowid View Post
Coming back to the beginning of this thread who is going to volunteer to accurately describe, in words, the very real differences in rendering between the Elmar M and what I shall call the Elmar 2.8 (ELMOM)?

I'm not up to it.
Elmar M has a more modern rendering, more contrast. Original is very similar to Rigid or DR Summicron

Old 10-24-2017   #333
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Quote:
Elmar M has a more modern rendering, more contrast. Original is very similar to Rigid or DR Summicron
Are you able to compare it to the version III and/or version IV?

Old 10-24-2017   #334
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Quote:
My metal Leica vented hood works fine on the Elmar-m . The reverse is not true, i.e. elmar M screw in on 50 mm V3 where I get vignetting at 2 and perhaps 2.8.

This tells me the screw in hood although small, is more efficient.
I would draw that same conclusion. However, I suspect that if a filter is used, and the screw-in hood is applied to the filter, there may be a risk of vignetting with the Elmar-M.

Old 10-25-2017   #335
Bruno Gracia

I think is my favourite 50 ever, but with a coming M10 I'm after a 50 lux asph, gonna give a try.

Old 10-25-2017   #336
agoglanian
Reconnected.

I totally regret selling my 50 Elmar-M. I'm going to be trying just 35mm for a while but I will inevitably get another one.

M-A | M10 | 500CM | GR

Instagram. | Website.

Old 10-26-2017   #337
Hibbs
R.I.P. Charlie

I have zero experience with this lens, but I recall being at the bi-annual Vancouver Camera Show several years ago and overheard a conversation Tom A. was having about the Elmar. Tom was talking about how Leica had sent him a copy anxious for his feedback. He said that he told Leica that he was so impressed with the lens, it's character etc. then suggested they would see a decline in Summicron sales as word got out. It was not long after that I read the lens was discontinued.

Old 10-26-2017   #338
james.liam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibbs View Post
I have zero experience with this lens, but I recall being at the bi-annual Vancouver Camera Show several years ago and overheard a conversation Tom A. was having about the Elmar. Tom was talking about how Leica had sent him a copy anxious for his feedback. He said that he told Leica that he was so impressed with the lens, it's character etc. then suggested they would see a decline in Summicron sales as word got out. It was not long after that I read the lens was discontinued.
The persistence of the focus-shifting, circa-1979 50 Summicron whilst the arguably superior circa-1994 50 Elmarit M went the way of the dodo, is indeed a mystery.

Old 10-26-2017   #339
Ronald M

Quote:
I would draw that same conclusion. However, I suspect that if a filter is used, and the screw-in hood is applied to the filter, there may be a risk of vignetting with the Elmar-M.
Mine came with a Leica UV, no problem.

Old 10-26-2017   #340
Ronald M

Quote:
Are you able to compare it to the version III and/or version IV?
Much closer to IV then III. I don`t own a IV as I am so impressed with Elmar M. It matches my current Summilux between 4 and 11.

Bokeh is nicer with Elmar M & current `Lux than with Summicron. I have tested.

I have two Elmar M they are that nice. Sharp but without the edgy look of Summicron.

Old 10-27-2017   #341
james.liam

Quote:
Sharp but without the edgy look of Summicron.
Hated the edgy look of the Summicron; led me to sell it in favor of the Summilux.

Quote:
I have two Elmar M they are that nice.
Afraid you'll gnaw on the first one?

Old 10-27-2017   #342
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Quote:
Originally Posted by james.liam View Post
The persistence of the focus-shifting, circa-1979 50 Summicron whilst the arguably superior circa-1994 50 Elmarit M went the way of the dodo, is indeed a mystery.
Focus-shifting? Shift of focus when stopping down? I'm not aware of this with the Summicron. Do you mean the version IV, which commenced in 1979?

Old 10-27-2017   #343
Richard G

Quote:
I too can confirm that this is not a problem. Elmar M plus Leica UVa filter plus the Elmar M cylindrical hood is fine.

Old 10-27-2017   #344
Richard G

Old 10-27-2017   #345
Richard G

This one more blue....

Old 10-28-2017   #346
noisycheese
Normal(ish) Human

For those of you who have the 50/2.8 Elmar M, what are your thoughts on its predecessor, the 50/2.8 Elmar no M?

I have the earlier version and I'm not sure what to make of it in terms of image quality. I suspect it is fine for web use but I am leery of using it for making images that I will want to make exhibit prints of.

Thoughts?

Old 10-28-2017   #347
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisycheese View Post
For those of you who have the 50/2.8 Elmar M, what are your thoughts on its predecessor, the 50/2.8 Elmar no M?

I have the earlier version and I'm not sure what to make of it in terms of image quality. I suspect it is fine for web use but I am leery of using it for making images that I will want to make exhibit prints of.

Thoughts?
How big a print would you make? An 11 x 14 is no problem, assuming the best technique. Optimum aperture and a tripod are always a plus; but even without those measures, the Elmar can hold its own. By "earlier version" I don't know if you mean the f/2.8, or the earlier f/3.5. Some feel that the f/3.5 is the better lens. And special praise goes to the Red Scale version.

The ability to make large prints from the miniature negative is what put Leica on the map, and the Elmar helped earn that reputation!

Old 10-28-2017   #348
james.liam

Quote:
Focus-shifting? Shift of focus when stopping down? I'm not aware of this with the Summicron. Do you mean the version IV, which commenced in 1979?
Yes. Stopped down beyond ƒ/2.8, gone by 5.6. That was my experience. YMMV.

Old 1 Week Ago   #349
karlin

After long time being curious about this lens I've found one for a good price.
yet, I dont know what I think about it. its bitingly sharp, contrasty and clear.

will have to use it more to make an opinion.

Elmar-M ii
m6
[email protected]

img018 by ophir segal, on Flickr

Old 6 Days Ago   #350
fer_fdi

excellent!

Old 6 Days Ago   #351
analoged

Thank you Karlin for reminding me that this great lens has its own thread!

Heres a few using the Epson R-D1...

This first one shows a bit of flare, morning sun coming up behind the house, shooting straight into it.

IIIasync, 5cm Summar, 5cm Sonnar, 3.5cm Elmar, 13.5cm Sonnar

Leicaflex SL, Leicaflex SL2, R6.2, 28mm Elamrit Ver II, 80mm Lux, 100mm Apo Macro Elmarit, 180 Elmarit, 400mm Telyt, 560mm Telyt

Epson R-D1

Old 6 Days Ago   #352
analoged

And one more...

IIIasync, 5cm Summar, 5cm Sonnar, 3.5cm Elmar, 13.5cm Sonnar

Leicaflex SL, Leicaflex SL2, R6.2, 28mm Elamrit Ver II, 80mm Lux, 100mm Apo Macro Elmarit, 180 Elmarit, 400mm Telyt, 560mm Telyt

Epson R-D1

Old 6 Days Ago   #353
Vincent.G
平和、愛、喜び

Nice! I like the flare!

I have both the ELMAR 50/2.8 version I and II.

My chrome ELMAR 50/2.8 version I lens draws like a blunt tipped HB pencil; low contrast, seemingly softer images wide open, beautiful bokeh and pleasant tones. More classic look with B/W film and pastel-like colours with colour film.

My black chrome ELMAR 50/2.8 version II lens draws like a sharp tipped 2B pencil / mechanical pencil with 2B pencil lead; higher contrast, seemingly sharper images wide open, relatively less pleasant bokeh than version I and pleasant tones. I think images taken by the version II lens appears sharper probably due to higher contrast from modern coating.

Each lens has different character so I still keep both. Both use E39 filters. Both are nice lenses and your choice is just a personal preference like what type of pencil you like for drawing.

Old 6 Days Ago   #354
Emile de Leon

I really like the way ver 2 renders in both color and B&W...

Old 6 Days Ago   #355
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Quote:
My Cron IV does shifts, and so did Rigid, but it is mostly noticeable at minimum focus distance and at large apertures on far distance. My IV has no focus shift at f2 and then at f8.

The lens in this thread makes IV and Rigid on BW film, but I didn't checked it with color film and on digital where Rigid and IV are nice.

Old 6 Days Ago   #356
Richard G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent.G View Post
Nice! I like the flare!

I have both the ELMAR 50/2.8 version I and II.

My chrome ELMAR 50/2.8 version I lens draws like a blunt tipped HB pencil; low contrast, seemingly softer images wide open, beautiful bokeh and pleasant tones. More classic look with B/W film and pastel-like colours with colour film.

My black chrome ELMAR 50/2.0 version II lens draws like a sharp tipped 2B pencil / mechanical pencil with 2B pencil lead; higher contrast, seemingly sharper images wide open, relatively less pleasant bokeh than version I and pleasant tones. I think images taken by the version II lens appears sharper probably due to higher contrast from modern coating.

Each lens has different character so I still keep both. Both use E39 filters. Both are nice lenses and your choice is just a personal preference like what type of pencil you like for drawing.
What a wonderful analogy, the different grades of pencil, drawing.

Old 6 Days Ago   #357
Vincent.G
平和、愛、喜び

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard G View Post
What a wonderful analogy, the different grades of pencil, drawing.
Thanks Richard.

Btw I just edited my previous post. Supposed to mean f/2.8, not f/2.0.

Old 5 Days Ago   #358
karlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by fer_fdi View Post
excellent!
Thank you Fer!

Old 5 Days Ago   #359
karlin

Slowly I'm warming to this lens.

m6
[email protected]

img063 by ophir segal, on Flickr