Old 10-10-2017   #321
Flat Twin
Film Shooter
 
Flat Twin is offline
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Oxfordshire, U.K.
Posts: 483
Leica M4, 50mm Elmar-M - Kodak TMY-2 400 - Perceptol 1+2.


Lytham, Lancashire. August 2017. by Flat Twin, on Flickr
  Reply With Quote

mounting modern Elmar-M 2.8/50mm
Old 10-18-2017   #322
F456
Tom H
 
F456 is offline
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 132
mounting modern Elmar-M 2.8/50mm

May I just confirm, in case I do something silly and damage my shutter curtain....

Am I right in saying you should mount the lens in the extended position but that thereafter it is perfectly safe to close the lens so that the barrel is fully retracted?

The bodies I would be using are an M6 original (small shutter speed dial) or an M6TTL (large dial) or M7. At some stage I might use anything from M3 through to M4-P but not a CL or M5.

Thank you; I have been lucky enough to find one in virtually unused condition from a local shop but no instruction sheet with it. Tom
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2017   #323
Ronald M
Registered User
 
Ronald M is offline
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by F456 View Post
May I just confirm, in case I do something silly and damage my shutter curtain....

Am I right in saying you should mount the lens in the extended position but that thereafter it is perfectly safe to close the lens so that the barrel is fully retracted?

The bodies I would be using are an M6 original (small shutter speed dial) or an M6TTL (large dial) or M7. At some stage I might use anything from M3 through to M4-P but not a CL or M5.

Thank you; I have been lucky enough to find one in virtually unused condition from a local shop but no instruction sheet with it. Tom
Simple. Use like any Leica lens and enjoy.

It does not extend significantly deeper into the body when collapsed.
If yours does, it is a plain Elmar, not Elmar M, but still a nice lens.
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2017   #324
Dralowid
Michael
 
Dralowid's Avatar
 
Dralowid is offline
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 2,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by F456 View Post
May I just confirm, in case I do something silly and damage my shutter curtain....

Am I right in saying you should mount the lens in the extended position but that thereafter it is perfectly safe to close the lens so that the barrel is fully retracted?

The bodies I would be using are an M6 original (small shutter speed dial) or an M6TTL (large dial) or M7. At some stage I might use anything from M3 through to M4-P but not a CL or M5.

Thank you; I have been lucky enough to find one in virtually unused condition from a local shop but no instruction sheet with it. Tom
The ones to worry about are the CL and the M5
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2017   #325
F456
Tom H
 
F456 is offline
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 132
OK, you've put my mind at rest. Thanks. Looking forward to shooting with this. After using the very fast lenses for the last 20-25 years I'm enjoying moving gradually to the small jewels with 39mm filter size; portable and somehow what Leica was originally about (I think).
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2017   #326
Rob-F
Likes Leicas
 
Rob-F's Avatar
 
Rob-F is offline
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The Show Me state
Age: 77
Posts: 5,485
Can the vented hood 12585 be used on the Elmar-M? Or do you have to use the screw-in hood that comes with it?
__________________
May the light be with you.
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2017   #327
Richard G
Registered User
 
Richard G's Avatar
 
Richard G is offline
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: 37,47 S
Posts: 4,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-F View Post
Can the vented hood 12585 be used on the Elmar-M? Or do you have to use the screw-in hood that comes with it?
I'm pretty sure I've used the vented 12585 on mine, but just now I can't get it to go on. It is a very snug fit on my DR Summicron, so maybe it's a problem of my particular hood. I can't see how it would obstruct, if it will actually go on. My Canadian 50mm Summicron 12538 plastic hood just fits and works fine.
__________________
Richard
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2017   #328
Rob-F
Likes Leicas
 
Rob-F's Avatar
 
Rob-F is offline
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The Show Me state
Age: 77
Posts: 5,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard G View Post
I'm pretty sure I've used the vented 12585 on mine, but just now I can't get it to go on. It is a very snug fit on my DR Summicron, so maybe it's a problem of my particular hood. I can't see how it would obstruct, if it will actually go on. My Canadian 50mm Summicron 12538 plastic hood just fits and works fine.
The reason for my concern was that, just looking at pictures of it, I can't tell if there is a groove for the hood to clip into. But if the plastic one goes on securely, then I guess the 12585 should work OK. Thanks, Richard.
__________________
May the light be with you.
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2017   #329
presspass
filmshooter
 
presspass is offline
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lancaster County, Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,091
The screw-in collapsible generic rubber hoods work just fine with this lens. They provide more protection than the hood that comes with it, and don't add much to the size of the lens when it's collapsed.
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2017   #330
Rob-F
Likes Leicas
 
Rob-F's Avatar
 
Rob-F is offline
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The Show Me state
Age: 77
Posts: 5,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald M View Post
It does not extend significantly deeper into the body when collapsed.
If yours does, it is a plain Elmar, not Elmar M, but still a nice lens.
From pictures (I don't have one) it looks that way to me, and I should think it would be OK to collapse into the M5; but then:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dralowid View Post
The ones to worry about are the CL and the M5
And finally, (and this may be the final word):

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilkins View Post
The Head Bartender says no. So I won't try with my M5 and Elmar-M.
http://https://www.cameraquest.com/m5.htm
I plan to buy one, even if I can't collapse it into my M5.
__________________
May the light be with you.
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2017   #331
Ronald M
Registered User
 
Ronald M is offline
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,408
My metal Leica vented hood works fine on the Elmar-m . The reverse is not true, i.e. elmar M screw in on 50 mm V3 where I get vignetting at 2 and perhaps 2.8.

This tells me the screw in hood although small, is more efficient.
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2017   #332
Ronald M
Registered User
 
Ronald M is offline
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dralowid View Post
Coming back to the beginning of this thread who is going to volunteer to accurately describe, in words, the very real differences in rendering between the Elmar M and what I shall call the Elmar 2.8 (ELMOM)?


I'm not up to it.
Elmar M has a more modern rendering, more contrast. Original is very similar to Rigid or DR Summicron
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2017   #333
Rob-F
Likes Leicas
 
Rob-F's Avatar
 
Rob-F is offline
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The Show Me state
Age: 77
Posts: 5,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald M View Post
Elmar M has a more modern rendering, more contrast. Original is very similar to Rigid or DR Summicron
Are you able to compare it to the version III and/or version IV?
__________________
May the light be with you.
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2017   #334
Rob-F
Likes Leicas
 
Rob-F's Avatar
 
Rob-F is offline
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The Show Me state
Age: 77
Posts: 5,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald M View Post
My metal Leica vented hood works fine on the Elmar-m . The reverse is not true, i.e. elmar M screw in on 50 mm V3 where I get vignetting at 2 and perhaps 2.8.

This tells me the screw in hood although small, is more efficient.
I would draw that same conclusion. However, I suspect that if a filter is used, and the screw-in hood is applied to the filter, there may be a risk of vignetting with the Elmar-M.
__________________
May the light be with you.
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2017   #335
Bruno Gracia
Registered User
 
Bruno Gracia's Avatar
 
Bruno Gracia is offline
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ronda (Spain)
Age: 34
Posts: 729
I think is my favourite 50 ever, but with a coming M10 I'm after a 50 lux asph, gonna give a try.
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2017   #336
agoglanian
Reconnected.
 
agoglanian's Avatar
 
agoglanian is offline
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Orange County, CA
Age: 32
Posts: 905
I totally regret selling my 50 Elmar-M. I'm going to be trying just 35mm for a while but I will inevitably get another one.
__________________
- Abram

M-A | M10 | 500CM | GR

Instagram. | Website.
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2017   #337
Hibbs
R.I.P. Charlie
 
Hibbs's Avatar
 
Hibbs is offline
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 258
I have zero experience with this lens, but I recall being at the bi-annual Vancouver Camera Show several years ago and overheard a conversation Tom A. was having about the Elmar. Tom was talking about how Leica had sent him a copy anxious for his feedback. He said that he told Leica that he was so impressed with the lens, it's character etc. then suggested they would see a decline in Summicron sales as word got out. It was not long after that I read the lens was discontinued.
__________________
Too bad the only people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and cutting hair.
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2017   #338
james.liam
Registered User
 
james.liam is offline
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibbs View Post
I have zero experience with this lens, but I recall being at the bi-annual Vancouver Camera Show several years ago and overheard a conversation Tom A. was having about the Elmar. Tom was talking about how Leica had sent him a copy anxious for his feedback. He said that he told Leica that he was so impressed with the lens, it's character etc. then suggested they would see a decline in Summicron sales as word got out. It was not long after that I read the lens was discontinued.
The persistence of the focus-shifting, circa-1979 50 Summicron whilst the arguably superior circa-1994 50 Elmarit M went the way of the dodo, is indeed a mystery.
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2017   #339
Ronald M
Registered User
 
Ronald M is offline
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-F View Post
I would draw that same conclusion. However, I suspect that if a filter is used, and the screw-in hood is applied to the filter, there may be a risk of vignetting with the Elmar-M.
Mine came with a Leica UV, no problem.
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2017   #340
Ronald M
Registered User
 
Ronald M is offline
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-F View Post
Are you able to compare it to the version III and/or version IV?
Much closer to IV then III. I don`t own a IV as I am so impressed with Elmar M. It matches my current Summilux between 4 and 11.

Bokeh is nicer with Elmar M & current `Lux than with Summicron. I have tested.

I have two Elmar M they are that nice. Sharp but without the edgy look of Summicron.
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2017   #341
james.liam
Registered User
 
james.liam is offline
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald M View Post
Sharp but without the edgy look of Summicron.
Hated the edgy look of the Summicron; led me to sell it in favor of the Summilux.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald M View Post
I have two Elmar M they are that nice.
Afraid you'll gnaw on the first one?
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2017   #342
Rob-F
Likes Leicas
 
Rob-F's Avatar
 
Rob-F is offline
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The Show Me state
Age: 77
Posts: 5,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by james.liam View Post
The persistence of the focus-shifting, circa-1979 50 Summicron whilst the arguably superior circa-1994 50 Elmarit M went the way of the dodo, is indeed a mystery.
Focus-shifting? Shift of focus when stopping down? I'm not aware of this with the Summicron. Do you mean the version IV, which commenced in 1979?
__________________
May the light be with you.
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2017   #343
Richard G
Registered User
 
Richard G's Avatar
 
Richard G is offline
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: 37,47 S
Posts: 4,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-F View Post
I would draw that same conclusion. However, I suspect that if a filter is used, and the screw-in hood is applied to the filter, there may be a risk of vignetting with the Elmar-M.
I too can confirm that this is not a problem. Elmar M plus Leica UVa filter plus the Elmar M cylindrical hood is fine.
__________________
Richard
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2017   #344
Richard G
Registered User
 
Richard G's Avatar
 
Richard G is offline
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: 37,47 S
Posts: 4,837








__________________
Richard
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2017   #345
Richard G
Registered User
 
Richard G's Avatar
 
Richard G is offline
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: 37,47 S
Posts: 4,837
This one more blue....

__________________
Richard
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2017   #346
noisycheese
Normal(ish) Human
 
noisycheese is offline
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,272
For those of you who have the 50/2.8 Elmar M, what are your thoughts on its predecessor, the 50/2.8 Elmar no M?

I have the earlier version and I'm not sure what to make of it in terms of image quality. I suspect it is fine for web use but I am leery of using it for making images that I will want to make exhibit prints of.

Thoughts?
__________________
The Leica M passion: From the inside it's hard to explain; from the outside it's hard to understand.
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2017   #347
Rob-F
Likes Leicas
 
Rob-F's Avatar
 
Rob-F is offline
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The Show Me state
Age: 77
Posts: 5,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisycheese View Post
For those of you who have the 50/2.8 Elmar M, what are your thoughts on its predecessor, the 50/2.8 Elmar no M?

I have the earlier version and I'm not sure what to make of it in terms of image quality. I suspect it is fine for web use but I am leery of using it for making images that I will want to make exhibit prints of.

Thoughts?
How big a print would you make? An 11 x 14 is no problem, assuming the best technique. Optimum aperture and a tripod are always a plus; but even without those measures, the Elmar can hold its own. By "earlier version" I don't know if you mean the f/2.8, or the earlier f/3.5. Some feel that the f/3.5 is the better lens. And special praise goes to the Red Scale version.

The ability to make large prints from the miniature negative is what put Leica on the map, and the Elmar helped earn that reputation!
__________________
May the light be with you.
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2017   #348
james.liam
Registered User
 
james.liam is offline
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-F View Post
Focus-shifting? Shift of focus when stopping down? I'm not aware of this with the Summicron. Do you mean the version IV, which commenced in 1979?
Yes. Stopped down beyond ƒ/2.8, gone by 5.6. That was my experience. YMMV.
  Reply With Quote

Old 1 Week Ago   #349
karlin
Registered User
 
karlin is online now
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 216
After long time being curious about this lens I've found one for a good price.
yet, I dont know what I think about it. its bitingly sharp, contrasty and clear.

will have to use it more to make an opinion.

Elmar-M ii
m6
[email protected]

img018 by ophir segal, on Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 6 Days Ago   #350
fer_fdi
Registered User
 
fer_fdi's Avatar
 
fer_fdi is offline
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Barcelona & Empordą, Spain
Posts: 392
excellent!
__________________
~
Fer
  Reply With Quote

Old 6 Days Ago   #351
analoged
Registered User
 
analoged's Avatar
 
analoged is offline
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: HNL/TYO
Posts: 269
Thank you Karlin for reminding me that this great lens has its own thread!

Heres a few using the Epson R-D1...

This first one shows a bit of flare, morning sun coming up behind the house, shooting straight into it.

__________________
M6, 35mm Pre Asph Lux, 50 Elmar M

IIIasync, 5cm Summar, 5cm Sonnar, 3.5cm Elmar, 13.5cm Sonnar

Leicaflex SL, Leicaflex SL2, R6.2, 28mm Elamrit Ver II, 80mm Lux, 100mm Apo Macro Elmarit, 180 Elmarit, 400mm Telyt, 560mm Telyt

Epson R-D1
  Reply With Quote

Old 6 Days Ago   #352
analoged
Registered User
 
analoged's Avatar
 
analoged is offline
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: HNL/TYO
Posts: 269
And one more...

__________________
M6, 35mm Pre Asph Lux, 50 Elmar M

IIIasync, 5cm Summar, 5cm Sonnar, 3.5cm Elmar, 13.5cm Sonnar

Leicaflex SL, Leicaflex SL2, R6.2, 28mm Elamrit Ver II, 80mm Lux, 100mm Apo Macro Elmarit, 180 Elmarit, 400mm Telyt, 560mm Telyt

Epson R-D1
  Reply With Quote

Old 6 Days Ago   #353
Vincent.G
平和、愛、喜び
 
Vincent.G's Avatar
 
Vincent.G is offline
Join Date: Sep 2009
Age: 40
Posts: 1,386
Nice! I like the flare!

I have both the ELMAR 50/2.8 version I and II.

My chrome ELMAR 50/2.8 version I lens draws like a blunt tipped HB pencil; low contrast, seemingly softer images wide open, beautiful bokeh and pleasant tones. More classic look with B/W film and pastel-like colours with colour film.

My black chrome ELMAR 50/2.8 version II lens draws like a sharp tipped 2B pencil / mechanical pencil with 2B pencil lead; higher contrast, seemingly sharper images wide open, relatively less pleasant bokeh than version I and pleasant tones. I think images taken by the version II lens appears sharper probably due to higher contrast from modern coating.

Each lens has different character so I still keep both. Both use E39 filters. Both are nice lenses and your choice is just a personal preference like what type of pencil you like for drawing.
__________________
My Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 6 Days Ago   #354
Emile de Leon
Registered User
 
Emile de Leon is offline
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 822
I really like the way ver 2 renders in both color and B&W...

  Reply With Quote

Old 6 Days Ago   #355
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.
 
Ko.Fe.'s Avatar
 
Ko.Fe. is offline
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MiltON.ONtario
Posts: 6,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-F View Post
Focus-shifting? Shift of focus when stopping down? I'm not aware of this with the Summicron. Do you mean the version IV, which commenced in 1979?
My Cron IV does shifts, and so did Rigid, but it is mostly noticeable at minimum focus distance and at large apertures on far distance. My IV has no focus shift at f2 and then at f8.

The lens in this thread makes IV and Rigid on BW film, but I didn't checked it with color film and on digital where Rigid and IV are nice.
  Reply With Quote

Old 6 Days Ago   #356
Richard G
Registered User
 
Richard G's Avatar
 
Richard G is offline
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: 37,47 S
Posts: 4,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent.G View Post
Nice! I like the flare!

I have both the ELMAR 50/2.8 version I and II.

My chrome ELMAR 50/2.8 version I lens draws like a blunt tipped HB pencil; low contrast, seemingly softer images wide open, beautiful bokeh and pleasant tones. More classic look with B/W film and pastel-like colours with colour film.

My black chrome ELMAR 50/2.0 version II lens draws like a sharp tipped 2B pencil / mechanical pencil with 2B pencil lead; higher contrast, seemingly sharper images wide open, relatively less pleasant bokeh than version I and pleasant tones. I think images taken by the version II lens appears sharper probably due to higher contrast from modern coating.

Each lens has different character so I still keep both. Both use E39 filters. Both are nice lenses and your choice is just a personal preference like what type of pencil you like for drawing.
What a wonderful analogy, the different grades of pencil, drawing.
__________________
Richard
  Reply With Quote

Old 6 Days Ago   #357
Vincent.G
平和、愛、喜び
 
Vincent.G's Avatar
 
Vincent.G is offline
Join Date: Sep 2009
Age: 40
Posts: 1,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard G View Post
What a wonderful analogy, the different grades of pencil, drawing.
Thanks Richard.

Btw I just edited my previous post. Supposed to mean f/2.8, not f/2.0.
__________________
My Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 5 Days Ago   #358
karlin
Registered User
 
karlin is online now
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by fer_fdi View Post
excellent!
Thank you Fer!
  Reply With Quote

Old 5 Days Ago   #359
karlin
Registered User
 
karlin is online now
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 216
Slowly I'm warming to this lens.

m6
[email protected]

img063 by ophir segal, on Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 5 Days Ago   #360
Vincent.G
平和、愛、喜び
 
Vincent.G's Avatar
 
Vincent.G is offline
Join Date: Sep 2009
Age: 40
Posts: 1,386
Brilliant work, karlin!
__________________
My Flickr
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 13:19.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.