Sad Day: My Last Roll of Kodak Plus X
Old 01-17-2014   #1
gb hill

Sad Day: My Last Roll of Kodak Plus X

Just developed what very well might be the last roll of Plus X ever. Shot it in my Canonet while walking through Old Salem & other random jaunts. Developed it in HC-110 Dilution B. Negatives look good & are hanging to dry. Used Photoflo so I'm hoping for no water spots. I'll post a few when I can.

On the brighter side of life I bought lots of Arista EDU 100 & I am looking forward to using that film as a possible replacement. From what little I have used the EDU film I like it. Will use Perceptol. One of my favorite developers.

Old 01-17-2014   #2
L Collins
-

Still hanging onto 1 last roll of PX. My favorite film ever. Can't bring myself to shoot it.

Old 01-17-2014   #3
defconfunk
n00b

Not the last roll.

I've got a couple hundred feet of it in a can in my freezer. It was a 400' roll. I hand-transfer it into my bulk loader - so I have no idea how much exactly I have left. I think I've shot 20 rolls worth or so (again, hard to say).

I got the can for free when I started shooting film, so I often think of it as 'throw away' film - stuff that I can experiment and play around with sans worry. Posts like this always remind me how lucky I am to have such a nice emulsion as my 'play' film.

Old 01-17-2014   #4
mllanos1111

I have a few rolls of Panatomic-X left. Still looks amazing in rodinol even though it expired in 1988

Old 01-17-2014   #5
gb hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by defconfunk View Post
Not the last roll.

I've got a couple hundred feet of it in a can in my freezer. It was a 400' roll. I hand-transfer it into my bulk loader - so I have no idea how much exactly I have left. I think I've shot 20 rolls worth or so (again, hard to say).

I got the can for free when I started shooting film, so I often think of it as 'throw away' film - stuff that I can experiment and play around with sans worry. Posts like this always remind me how lucky I am to have such a nice emulsion as my 'play' film.
If I could afford it I'd buy a 400ft. roll of Double X (5222) like Tom A. & others shoot. I think the Arista EDU which I think is Foma, not really sure, will do me good.

Old 01-17-2014   #6
gb hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by L Collins View Post
Still hanging onto 1 last roll of PX. My favorite film ever. Can't bring myself to shoot it.
You should go for it.

Old 01-17-2014   #7
JonWNC

lots and lots of Plus - X on the auction site that begins with the letter "e".

Old 01-17-2014   #8
Doug Smith

Plus-X was my favorite film, too. I still have one or two rolls left which I'm saving for a special occasion. In the meantime, I've grown quite fond of FP4. Thanks, Ilford!

Old 01-17-2014   #9
gb hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonWNC View Post
lots and lots of Plus - X on the auction site that begins with the letter "e".
& I bet they want's lot's & lot's of money for it too.

Old 01-17-2014   #10
lam
Dave

*COUGH* group buy with a few folks split into 100ft sections *COUGH*

Old 01-17-2014   #11
Nokton48

Quote:
Originally Posted by defconfunk View Post
Not the last roll.

400' Eh? I'd say that was Eastman 5247 35mm motion picture film. The original Plus-X, EI 80, not EI 125, like modern Plus-X. Absolutely lovely stuff.

I still have a full 400' can of it in my freezer. That's approx 80 rolls of 36 exposure.

Old 01-17-2014   #12
j.scooter

I have a few rolls of plus x left in my freezer. I shoot it very sparingly and often kick myself for not buying more of it, especially when Freestyle was selling the rebranded version really cheaply.

Old 01-17-2014   #13
Ljós

gb hill, you have my sympathies... A beautiful film. I did not use it often, as it was not that predominant in Germany, versus FP4plus... but when I did, I liked it very much.

Greetings, Ljós

Old 01-17-2014   #14
VertovSvilova

Last summer I wandered into an 'old style' camera store and found a pile of Plus-X with a 7/12 expiration date. I bought up most of what they had and stuck it in the freezer (60 rolls.) I used to use PX a lot in the past but mainly because it was the mainstream mid-speed B+W film at that time. But to be totally honest, I find Ilford to be a perfectly good substitute and readily available. The same for Neopan Acros. Viewers can't tell the difference and it all looks pretty good to me (Ilford, Neopan, Kodak, Agfa, Foma, Rollei, etc..)

Old 01-17-2014   #15
pschauss

I am traveling in Portugal right now with my last rolls of Plus-X ( Arista Permium 100) but with all the rain in the forecast it looks like I may not shoot all of it. I will post the resutls whn i get back.

In any event, I have 100 feet of FP4+ to use when it is gone.

Old 01-17-2014   #16
MISH

[/quote]

I love this shot...... a great advertisement for a great film. I still have some in 4x5 and I bought a box of 100 sheets of 5x7 from B&H around 2000, if I remember correctly it cost me around $105 .... them were the days

Old 01-17-2014   #17
JPSuisse

Plus-X was my main film.

I am sorry that it was canceled and I have not found a substitute. I have a similar problem with Neopan 1600 which was my "other" main film. I am basically out of Plux-X now. So, I need an alternative quickly.

My main developer is DD-X, and FP4 is not the alternative with this developer! I am basically without a plan now with regards to BW...

Old 01-17-2014   #18
mfogiel

JPSuisse,
Get over it. There are plenty of films to use. I would recommend RPX 100 in Rodinal - in my opinion, better than Plus X

20136002 by mfogiel, on Flickr

Old 01-17-2014   #19
JPSuisse

Yes, but notice the catch. I said DD-X.

I just got some Acurol-N. So, now I have to find a good film to use with that. I am not shooting so much film that I want to mess with 2 developers. Although, I may ditch Acurol and go for Rodinal...

Old 01-17-2014   #20
dogberryjr
[Pithy phrase]

I have a sentimental attachment to PX. I remember it from when I dabbled briefly with B&W in my youth, then it was what I bought when I came back to photography in my 30s. I bought bunches of expiring rolls from my grocery store, neglected them for ages after that, than shot them at box speed and they came out wonderfully. I haven't really tried competitor's 100-ish films because I prefer 400 these days, but knowing it's gone will make the rolls I still have a bit more special to me.

Old 01-17-2014   #21
gb hill

A couple from the roll.

One more

Old 01-17-2014   #22
Bille

Quote:
Originally Posted by VertovSvilova View Post
Good shot MISH

Old 01-19-2014   #23
defconfunk
n00b

Since we are sharing nice plus-x shot. Shame about the scratches (I mucked up when loading this roll), but I love the tones/smoothness of plus-x, this was pushed to ISO 500 and it still looks smooth to me.

Old 01-19-2014   #24
j.scooter

This is plus x pushed to 500 as well

Old 01-19-2014   #25
lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.scooter View Post
This is so Plus-X (of course the wonderful lighting helps). I really miss this film too and while I like FP4 it has a different look, similar to the difference between HP5 and Tri-X.

Old 01-19-2014   #26
Nokton48

Quote:
Like this one alot.

Old 01-20-2014   #27
defconfunk
n00b

Thumbs up

Quote:
That is a wonderful shot!

Old 01-20-2014   #28
j.scooter

Thanks guys

Old 01-20-2014   #29
jawarden

J.scooter that's a lovely shot.

PX 125 is my favorite film and I still have at least a dozen rolls, although I don't want to count them or I'll get depressed. :-)

This is Plus-X with a Zeiss Ikon and 50mm Sonnar. I like the combo of this camera, lens and film.

Old 01-20-2014   #30
sparrow6224

Well I have 16 rolls 2008 exp that I've tried to sell here twice with no takers and these wonderful pictures have convinced me to use it and push it to 500..... unless someone really wants them? I can start the defrost anytime.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/commodiusvicus/

Old 01-20-2014   #31
BLKRCAT
99% Film

I've got a pro pack of it in 120 and maybe 3 or 4 rolls of it in 35mm still. I buy it regularily at swap meets. cheap too.

Old 01-20-2014   #32
telenous

Another big fan of PlusX here. Twenty-odd last rolls wait in the freezer for summer. After that, it's curtains. Time to move on and support some current production film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence View Post
I really miss this film too and while I like FP4 it has a different look, similar to the difference between HP5 and Tri-X.
Very much agree with this. The medium/slow speed films offered by Ilford (FP4+, Delta 100 but also Pan F) are lovely but a different kettle of fish. The closest I've seen to anything resembling PlusX (contrast, grain, etc.), is TriX pulled one stop. To my eyes, a more convincing replacement for PlusX than (Kodak-recommended) TMax 100.

flickr
instagram

Old 01-20-2014   #33
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

The original PXP was what I shot in my first Leica, an M2. I used that film almost exclusively when I was deployed to Iraq in 2004. I had shot a bunch of it before then but not before 2003 as I was stationed in Whidbey Island, Washington and I needed a much higher ISO.

The old PXP was the best film for skin tones, I think. It was just so smooth and I think it lens something to the image as well as what lens was used. Just a great emulsion.

Here's a few shots from Iraq I did on the old emulsion. Most of it was expired by at least 4 years by the time I exposed it.

After I ran out I tried to use 125PX, which took its place but it wasn't quite the same. Maybe that's because I wasn't being shot at daily. They are different films though as Kodak published two different technical papers on them and both show different developing times.
I still have at least a brick of 125PX but for 35mm I switched mainly to Eastman 5222. Now if I could only find something like 5222 in 120, I'd be a very happy camper.

Phil Forrest

Old 01-23-2014   #34
dof
Fiat Lux

I'll add to the chorus about your lovely shot, J. Scooter.

My "Spidey-Sense" tingled about Kodak possibly discontinuing Plus-X a few years back and I began stocking up on it about a year before they announced it. I've still got about 100 rolls in the freezer.

Marek is right that there are still many fine films to choose from, but I'm glad that I did stock up and been able to enjoy a long relationship with this film even after production ceased.

Old 01-23-2014   #35
Lawrence A.

I shot my last some time ago, and I agree, sad day. I've gotten to like Fuji Acros 100, but it does not take the place of Plus-X for me, probably my favorite Kodak film.

Guillevic

Old 01-23-2014   #36
mwoenv

Very unfortunate for b&w photography. I used it for nealy 40 years and have only 5 rolls in 120 format left.

Why did Kodak discontinue it? It was much better than Tmax100.

Ultrafineonline.com is selling 135-36 rolls for $4.95.
Konica III; Konica Auto S2; Konica Autoreflex T2; Konica FS-1; Pentax 645; Yashica Mat 124; Minolta SRT201, X700, X370, XD-11, Minolta Hi-matic 7S; Olympus OM-1; Zeiss Ikon Contaflex Super BC; Nikon N80, N75