Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > FSU Former Soviet Union RF

FSU Former Soviet Union RF This forum is for the Former Soviet Union rangefinder cameras, especially the many and various Fed, Zorki, and Kiev.

Kiess Wide Angle Point and Shoot Camera?
Old 04-28-2005   #1
Wayne R. Scott
Half fast Leica User

Kiess Wide Angle Point and Shoot Camera?

Some idle thoughts from an idle mind.

I have a Kiev 4 AM that is in good shape, with the exception of the rangefinder which does not work.

IDEA 1 - I was toying with the idea of tearing into it myself, but based on the number of partially completed tasks I have lying around the house and in the garage that have been in Limbo for several years now I have decided against this idea.

IDEA 2 - I thought about sending the Kiev to Henry S. for a complete overhaul, but I can buy about 8 or 9 more Kievs complete with lens for that amount of money. Nope, not gonna do that.

IDEA 3 - I thought I might send it to Oleg and have it serviced, but I can buy another one from him in good working order for about the same amount of money. So it is gonna stay Stateside.

IDEA 4 - I am going to turn it into a Kiess (this is a combination of Kiev and Zeiss) wide angle point and shoot camera. I have a Zeiss Biogon 21mm wide angle lens and a 21mm viewfinder that I have attached to the Kiev 4 AM. I then printed out a hyper focal chart from an Excel spread sheet that I have taped to the back of the camera body. Example: Aperature F8, focus at 6 feet everything from 3 feet to infinity will be in acceptable focus. So this will become basically a wide angle point and shoot camera.

Does this sound like a reasonable combination? After all the camera body is just a dark box to hold the film .

Wayne
One's skill is never complete, one's knowledge is forever lacking, one's taste is invariably altered, one's opinion ever subject to controversy. There is a complete and constant urge toward improvement...
-Andrew Loomis.

"Good Judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement."

Old 04-28-2005   #2
phototone

You bet. The depth of field of 21mm is vast. Why not. That Zeiss Biogon is fantastially sharp. I know, I have one.

MY RFF GALLERY

Old 04-28-2005   #3
kbg32
neo-romanticist

Great combination. Go for it!

http://keithgoldstein.me/
Keith’s Gallery

Old 04-28-2005   #4
dexdog
sans bokeh

An unorthodox combination, but sounds like a lot of fun to use. I shot a roll of film recently with my 21mm, and after checking the DOF scale on the lens the first few time decided that focusing was not necessary anyway. It was a sunny day, most common aperture was f 11, and DOF was enormous.

Old 04-28-2005   #5
dexdog
sans bokeh

Oh, I forgot to mention that Henry S no longer works on Kiev cameras, according to a recent post on his web site.

Old 04-28-2005   #6
Wayne R. Scott
Half fast Leica User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexdog
An unorthodox combination, but sounds like a lot of fun to use. I shot a roll of film recently with my 21mm, and after checking the DOF scale on the lens the first few time decided that focusing was not necessary anyway. It was a sunny day, most common aperture was f 11, and DOF was enormous.

Yes, I figure at f11 I can focus lens at 4.4 feet and everything from 2.2 feet to infinity will be acceptably in focus. If I get closer than 2.2 feet to someone I may get punched.

Good news about Henry, I really didn't want to sink a fortune into this old camera any way.

Wayne
One's skill is never complete, one's knowledge is forever lacking, one's taste is invariably altered, one's opinion ever subject to controversy. There is a complete and constant urge toward improvement...
-Andrew Loomis.

"Good Judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement."

Old 04-28-2005   #7
FrankS

Sounds like a Russian Bessa L, or a Leica M1.

photography makes me happy

Old 04-28-2005   #8
cbass
Nutmegger

Wayne,

Didn't the Ukranians build such a camera (i.e., "Kiess") in the late 1950s? A Zayra perhaps (I forget the name)? It was basically a FED-2 without the RF. I've seen one before, it's a cool peice of gear.

Anyway, I think your "Kiess" is a great idea. Anything that lets the shooter use his or her imagination is aces in my book. Good luck with your project!

My Gallery