Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Minolta
Old 12-02-2014   #1
daveleo
what?

Minolta

Is the word "Minolta" going around a lot these days?
Maybe I have been sensitized to it for some reason, but, it seems that lots of people lately are referring to (and buying) Minolta lenses.

I always loved the "look" out of their lenses, and just bought (another) 50mm to fit onto my Fuji XE1. Yet it seems that I am on a bandwagon with lots of other people.

Certainly the prices of their used "legends" are holding up very well in these digital times.

Old 12-02-2014   #2
back alley
IMAGES

minolta always made some of the finest lenses avaialable...some of them were rated very highly in the pop photo mags of their time...

Old 12-03-2014   #3
mwoenv

There are many Minolta manual focus lenses available (and they are very good) because when they went to auto focus (Maxxum bodies) they changed the lens mount and the manual focus lenses could not be used. Apparently people abandoned these lenses so there are many available. This probably also led to Minolta fans leaving and to Minolta's demise.
Konica III; Konica Auto S2; Konica Autoreflex T2; Konica FS-1; Pentax 645; Yashica Mat 124; Minolta SRT201, X700, X370, XD-11, Minolta Hi-matic 7S; Olympus OM-1; Zeiss Ikon Contaflex Super BC; Nikon N80, N75

Old 12-03-2014   #4
zuiko85

Still using a Minolta 16II. It has a 3 element/3 group, 22mm f2.8 lens. Does that count? Tests with film indicate it will resolve about 65 lp/mm.

Come to think about it, since it's focus is fixed at 2.5M, I'm often shooting with one of the supplementary lenses to bring focus to where I want it so I guess then it's a 4E/4G lens.

(There has to be a clown in every thread, I volunteered for this one.)

Old 12-03-2014   #5
locheeboy
locheeboy

Ah'd have tae disagree with Mwoenv(above). Minolta users are actually very loyal . In my experience, they tend tae keep and still use cameras/lenses and accessories. Minolta was first and foremost a camera engineering company whose expertise was second to none and they were always engineering and electronic innovators rather than marketers; perhaps why they were never a major name in the marketplace.

Like every major manufacturer, Minolta did change their mount but that was more about their developing electronics. Ah still have and use regularly, my Maxxum 7000, 8oooi (both bought new) and my most used camera - an XD7. They all perform faultlessly still.

When ah bought my first DSLR, it had tae be a Sony, there was no way ah was giving up on my lens collection. The A700 with the Minolta lenses was a marriage made in heaven . Ah still have the Sony - why replace a camera which still outperforms many modern ones in the most important area, IMO.....IQ?

The great Canikon snobbery served tae push them into the background (like Fuji's Fujica SLRs +lenses) of which ah own the ST901 and several lenses. Another company which was largely ignored but folk are now finding out, mainly through CSC and 4/3 cameras, just how excellent these lenses, especially, are.

Ah'm still buying MC,MD and AF lenses for my Minoltas - most recent purchase was the much-maligned 28-80 AF, cost me 9gbp....bargain...Minolta fanboy? yer darn tootin'

PS just bought an Chinese MD/AF adaptor (15gbp) still tae try it out...

Old 12-03-2014   #6
Moto-Uno
Moto-Uno

Well if any of their other lenses are as good as the one in my Hi-Matic E, then they
must be good indeed! Peter

Old 12-03-2014   #7
back alley
IMAGES

i don't know the details but minolta was bought by konica who then lost it in some lawsuit…or lost a lawsuit and sold minolta off for the cash…something like that…sony bought minolta and it's patents/workers etc and started to become something in the camera world after that.

i think this is close to the reality of how it went down...

Old 12-03-2014   #8
CliveC

I discovered the magic of Minolta when a friend very generously donated a 3xi with a 50mm 1.7 and the 70-210mm beer can to me.

Since then, not only have I added more lenses, I've added a full frame Sony camera as my main shooter. Minolta glass still stacks up. I sure hope Sony keeps the A-mount alive.

Old 12-03-2014   #9
Bingley

I've been a Minolta fan for awhile now. I love the XD-11. Among the lenses, I'm really liking the MC Rokkor 55/1.7. The 35/2.8 and the 85/2.0 are also very good.

FS: Zeiss-ZM Planar 50 plus hood, Pentax MX, Voigtlander Ultron 40/2.0 SLII in Pentax K-mount, Takumar 100/2.8 and 35/3.5 lenses: See my ads in Classifieds

M3, M2, R2A, IIIc, IVSB2, & T, and assorted LTM & M lenses
Minolta XD11, Pentax ME Super, and assorted MD Rokkor and Takumar lenses, Rolleicord III, Rolleicord Vb, Rolleiflex Automat MX-EVS

My Flickr
My Gallery

Old 12-03-2014   #10
filmtwit
Desperate but not serious

The 58mm f1.2 with the radioactive elements is to die for.

The Flickr Stream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/filmtwit/

The Blog (Boring Sidney, Boring)
http://jeffthomasallen.blogspot.com/

Old 12-04-2014   #11
nongfuspring

Minolta MD/MC is one of the cheapest mounts around since it's "abandoned" and the flange distance is one of the lowest with any SLR mount making them a good option for minimising bulk when adapting to mirrorless cameras. That's the reason why I initially bought Minolta lenses and so far I am very pleased, especially with the 50mm 3.5 macro and the 50mm 1.7 (but not a fan of the MC 28mm 3.5).

I don't own any Minolta bodies, but I wouldn't mind trying an X-E7 one day.

Old 12-04-2014   #12
Austintatious

Minolta fan for years now. Three manual focus bodies, seven primes and three zooms.
Just got a NEX 6 and MD-NEX Fotodiox adaptor. Let the fun continue

RF's : Bessa-R ,FED II, Olympus 35RC , Kiev 4AM,Argus C-3
Other :Minolta XD-11, Minolta SRT102, Pentax Spotmatic ,Nikon N80, Yashica-Mat 124G, Rolleicord Va
Digital :Nikon D7100, Sony NEX 6, Panasonic LX-5

Old 12-04-2014   #13
Addy101

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwoenv View Post
There are many Minolta manual focus lenses available (and they are very good) because when they went to auto focus (Maxxum bodies) they changed the lens mount and the manual focus lenses could not be used. Apparently people abandoned these lenses so there are many available. This probably also led to Minolta fans leaving and to Minolta's demise.
Not quite. Minolta was the third of the big five until they introduced the Minolta 7000 and for very short time they became #1 until Canon introduced EF-mount and Minolta lost the law suit to Honeywell.

I never hear old Minolta users moan like all those Canon users who got angry 'cause Canon abandoned the FD-mount. FD lenses are usually cheaper then Minolta lenses in my experience.

Old 12-05-2014   #14
ronnies

Quote:
Originally Posted by locheeboy View Post
Like every major manufacturer, Minolta did change their mount but that was more about their developing electronics.
Nikon and Pentax didnae change the mount when they went to auto focus. :-)

Ronnie

Old 12-05-2014   #15
leicapixie

I rescued 2 Minolta SLR bodies wit 50mm and a 45mm at Goodwill.
A $40 price extravaganza.
I immediately picked up a 28mm and a Celtic 35mm, each $5.
All the lenses are great, the bodies really nice in usage.
They are the later electronic models..
'Cause i use cheap batteries, not work well in present sub-zero.
Minolta was good enough for Leitz/Leica!
Some Leica lenses were re-branded from Minolta.
I reckon if the bodies fail, the lenses will go some digital.
I use a Minolta Digital point and shoot.
There is Konica name on it, slot for Sony memory stick!
TG it uses regular SD cards.
The color is an acid trip/
The B/W is simply beautiful and pure.

Old 12-05-2014   #16
Pentudlian

I remember buying my first compact zoom in the mid-1990s. I went to an ancient and venerable camera store in London for advice. I left with the Minolta Riva Zoom 140 [Freedom Zoom in the USA, I believe]. I still remember what the assistant said when I asked whether it was any good: "Put it this way: Minolta have never made a bad camera".

Old 12-05-2014   #17
Nokton48

I sold off all my Leica and Canon RF and (in addition to banking some money) built up the Minolta dream system that I wanted when I was much younger in age. Money goes quite far with Minolta. Very little not to like. BTW my photos look just as pleasing to me with Minolta bodies and glass as with the more expensive stuff. I started with Minolta, so I have come completely full circle.

Old 12-05-2014   #18
John E Earley
Tuol Sleng S21-0174

I recently posted this in the NEX thread but I add it here again because I like the A6000/MD Rokkor-X 45/2 combination so well.

DSC_6275 by Earley Photography, on Flickr

I paid $20 for the adapter and $15 for the lens.

Old 12-05-2014   #19
clachnacuddin

Still getting regular use from my 700si, probably the best camera I'll afford for some time, and you can pick them up on ebay for around £10 :-)

Old 12-05-2014   #20
CMur12

As a Minolta user myself - TLRs and manual-focus SLRs - I'm enjoying all this Minolta love.

- Murray

Old 12-05-2014   #21
YYV_146

The Sony/Minolta 135mm STF. One of the best portrait lenses ever made. Something that any lover of mid-long teles should try at least once...

Sony A7rII Kolari mod

Noctilux ASPH, 35lux FLE, 50 APO ASPH, 75 APO cron, 21lux, Sony/Minolta 135mm STF

500px

Old 12-05-2014   #22
farlymac
PF McFarland

My first foray into Minolta was when I found an X-700 with the 1.7/50, a Sigma 70-210 zoom, an Albinar 28mm macro, and the 280P flash for ten dollars at the local Goodwill store. Once I got another body (the first one was kaput), I tested out all the lenses, and really liked what I saw.

Then I noticed that Minolta lens prices were really low, compared to anything from Nikon, so I started to replace the Albinar and Sigma gear with OEM stuff. In the meantime, I also wound up with more X-700 bodies (attached to the lens I was buying), an X-570 body, and an X-370. Four different flashes, two drives, and several lenses later, I finally snagged an XD-11, but it turned out to be a junker.

But I haven't shot them very much. Too many other cameras have come to roost here, and with the capacitor issues of the X-cameras, I kind of got away from them. That, and the shutter failed on the X-570 (not the capacitor problem, but a curtain came loose). The two lenses I am really happy to have are the 3.5/50 macro w/1-to-1 extension and Auto Ringflash 80PX, and the 8/500mm mirror that came with the full set of rear-mount filters. If I hang on to any of the system, it will be because of those two. The rest of the lenses I've gotten are top notch also, except for one copy of the 2.8/28 with the hood flange. That one is just junk, so I switched back to the earlier screw-on hood version.

PF

Old 12-05-2014   #23
KoNickon
Nick Merritt

The SRT series is one of the best manual cameras, period. And as the others have said, the lenses are great.

Old 12-05-2014   #24
macfiend

Wow!! Really feeling all this Minolta love
These days I'm using a bunch of older Rokkor lenses on a mirrorless camera. They are all great but one of my favorites by far is the 55 f1.7

http://jsfotographic.tumblr.com/

Old 12-06-2014   #25
Addy101

Quote:
Originally Posted by farlymac View Post
The rest of the lenses I've gotten are top notch also, except for one copy of the 2.8/28 with the hood flange. That one is just junk, so I switched back to the earlier screw-on hood version.
I was really suprised by the quality of my copy of the (late) MD 28/2.8. I knew the so-so reputation of the AF 28/2.8. I guess my copy isn't the last version of the 28/2.8 but the one before that with the 7 elements 7 groups that is considered quite good.

Old 12-06-2014   #26
oltimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addy101 View Post
I was really suprised by the quality of my copy of the (late) MD 28/2.8. I knew the so-so reputation of the AF 28/2.8. I guess my copy isn't the last version of the 28/2.8 but the one before that with the 7 elements 7 groups that is considered quite good.
Beautiful Bokeh on this test here,
allphotolenses.com/gallery/item/c_770.html

Old 12-06-2014   #27
Merlijn53

Imho the Minolta cle was a much nicer camera to use than the leica's I used (m4-p and m6 ttl). They also made excellent scanners. Still have an Elite 5400.
Frank

Old 12-06-2014   #28
MikeDimit

I love rokkor lens. Tried some canon and nikon, some praktica, soviet, some sigma, tamron just to rediscover that rokkor is best for me in terms of color and sharpness, contrast on film.

Old 12-06-2014   #29
daveleo
what?

I am just getting into the Fuji-Minolta combination, and trying not to get all giddy about it, but I just love the look.
I am maybe 2-dozen shots into it now....

Old 12-06-2014   #30
Addy101

I like my Rokkors on Sony sensors:

Sony NEX 5 with Minolta Rokkor PG 50/1.4

Old 12-06-2014   #31
Vics

I'm an old Maxxum shooter from the '80s and recently snagged a 700si body for $35US. Thanksgiving with family gave me my first tryout with this 1994 technology. Here's one with my granddaughters on Ektar and the 50mm f/1.7.
Sisters by Victor Ross, on Flickr

My Flickr

Old 12-06-2014   #32
SolaresLarrave
My M5s need red dots!

My first camera (or the first I bought, rather) was a Minolta X370s with a 35-70 zoom. I liked it, but replaced it with a Nikon AF body and glass when focusing in the Minolta became difficult to my eyes. I should have enjoyed the price of their glass... but I didn't know better back then.

Somewhere I read that the partnership between Leica and Minolta came from the fact that the CEO of the latter admired Leica. In fact, Minolta (from what I read in PopPhotography some time ago) invented AF; they offered it to Leica, but these German guys didn't want it and said "our customers know how to focus a lens."
My Nikon D700 Neophyte's Guide

Old 12-06-2014   #33
newspaperguy

Even the old ones were good... and still working!

My five -star rated children's book,

"The Little Crow Who Could Not CAW"

is now available for Kindle and other readers.

This semi-animated version of the hardbound edition
may be just perfect for your favorite 4-to-8 year old,

Available from Amazon.com, of course.

Old 12-06-2014   #34
ferider

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveleo View Post
Is the word "Minolta" going around a lot these days?
Maybe I have been sensitized to it for some reason, but, it seems that lots of people lately are referring to (and buying) Minolta lenses.

I always loved the "look" out of their lenses, and just bought (another) 50mm to fit onto my Fuji XE1. Yet it seems that I am on a bandwagon with lots of other people.

Certainly the prices of their used "legends" are holding up very well in these digital times.
Funny you should ask Dave. Not sure how this correlates, but I'll be back to Minolta since I got an alpha-9 last week.

I felt a new Minolta AF thread would be in order: http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...hreadid=146076.

Roland.

Old 12-06-2014   #35
Nokton48

My two Minolta SR-M's are going strong. Had them both completely rebuilt last year.
Shown with the 35mm F1.8 MC Rokkor and the 85mm F1.7 MC Rokkor.
The pro model 3.5FPS motorized version of the SRT-101.
Great stuff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (53.5 KB, 17 views)

Old 12-06-2014   #36
bjornkeizers

Oh dear, I sure hope they don't become a hype... because I love being able to buy all these cheap lenses and bodies

I went a bit Minolta crazy in 2012 buying a couple of X-series bodies and some lenses. All of it quality stuff. Love my XG-1, X500... and those great 50's that Minolta make are a treat to shoot as well.

I'm definitely buying some more Minolta gear in the future.
Pentax Auto 110 - Polaroid 1000 Land Camera & CPII - Fuji Instax Mini 7S - Ricoh FF70 - Olympus XA1, XA2, Mju II - Bronica ETRS - Holga 120 - Diana 120 - Lomo Fisheye 110

Old 12-06-2014   #37
Vics

I love my1.7/50 AF. This time on a 7000 Maxxum.
Marilyn by Victor Ross, on Flickr

My Flickr

Old 12-06-2014   #38
farlymac
PF McFarland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addy101 View Post
I don't know what it is about the hood-flange model, but it's usually not in focus. No such problem with the screw-on hood model. I think I just got a bad copy.

PF

Old 12-07-2014   #39
Bingley

Minolta XD11, Minolta MC Rokkor 55mm f1.7, yellow filter, TMax 400:

Corrugations by bingley0522, on Flickr

FS: Zeiss-ZM Planar 50 plus hood, Pentax MX, Voigtlander Ultron 40/2.0 SLII in Pentax K-mount, Takumar 100/2.8 and 35/3.5 lenses: See my ads in Classifieds

M3, M2, R2A, IIIc, IVSB2, & T, and assorted LTM & M lenses
Minolta XD11, Pentax ME Super, and assorted MD Rokkor and Takumar lenses, Rolleicord III, Rolleicord Vb, Rolleiflex Automat MX-EVS

My Flickr
My Gallery

Old 12-09-2014   #40
Nokton48

The 21mm F4 W.Rokkor-QH is one of the rarer MC lenses, and requires mirror lockup for shooting. This provides me with a rather rangefinder-like buzz when operating this rig, which I enjoy very much. And it's a great lens to use.

I have the original SRT 21mm Minolta viewfinder, although, after a few years of using that, I acquired the 21mm Yashica SLR finder, which I prefer. I bought it from a Leica guy, apparently they are a finder of choice on the Leica-M bodies. I certainly like mine, and it works just as well on the Red Ringneck Lizard-clad early SRT-101.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (52.4 KB, 5 views)