Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > 120 film RF Folders

120 film RF Folders 120/220 Format Folding Rangefinders, including the various classic Zeiss Ikontas, Voigtlander Bessas, and their Ruskie copies.

HELP, My dear Voigtlander Perkeo I will not shoot.
Old 03-26-2013   #1
vegard_dino

HELP, My dear Voigtlander Perkeo I will not shoot.

Hello.

Hope some can help me......Taking photos with my dear Perkeo I today, and then, what....After taking a shot, winding the film to next, but, the indicating arrow for the shutter is not moving at all.....Hmm.

Some tip on what I can do? What has happend?

Thanks for looking and helping me out.

Old 03-26-2013   #2
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegard_dino View Post
Hello.

Hope some can help me......Taking photos with my dear Perkeo I today, and then, what....After taking a shot, winding the film to next, but, the indicating arrow for the shutter is not moving at all.....Hmm.

Some tip on what I can do? What has happend?

Thanks for looking and helping me out.
Be sure you're not out of film. Remember you only get 12 exposures ... I've made that mistake before!

I don't know the Perkeo I model or how it differs from the Perkeo II with respect to the advance mechanism. I had my II not want to release the shutter on one exposure, and get into a lockout with the double exposure prevention stuff. So I tripped the shutter on the shutter itself, recocked it, and fired again, then the advance worked.

G

Perkeo 1 is very basic
Old 03-26-2013   #3
kuzano

Perkeo 1 is very basic

The ONLY automation in the Perkeo 1 is double shot prevention.

The 1 has no other automation. In fact, I pulled the hood off mine and removed the double shot prevention.

On a Perkeo 1, you use the ruby window on every frame advance, and you must cock the shutter manually. The only thing that is locked on Perkeo 1 is the ability to push the shutter button down on top of the camera if you have not wound the film forward (prevents double shots).

The SHUTTER Itself is not locked to prevent double shots. The button on top of the camera is the piece of the camera that locks with the double prevention. As mentioned you CAN do double exposures by using the shutter controls only.

Shooting work flow.

Shoot
Advance film using the ruby window (this unlocks the shutter button on top)
Set the aperture manually if changing with new shot.
Set the shutter speed manually
cock the shutter manually
Focus the front cell (scale focus / manual focus)
Compose
Shoot
Repeat for second shot

If you want to do a double exposure on the same frame of film, you can re-cock the shutter manually, but you cannot trip the shutter with the shutter button on top of the camera. Just in front of the body, near the folding struts is a threaded socket for a standard cable release. Using the standard cable release you can re-cock and trip the shutter as many times as you like.

I have owned two Perkeo II's which are generally the one you have to purchase to get the Color Skopar lens, but the automation on both of them failed me, and I could not find any one who works on the gear-work for the automation, just as I could never find anyone to work on the Automation of the Mamiya Six folders, which are all automated for film stop/count and double prevention.

I now have one Mamiya Automat 6 which I stripped all the automation from, and I found a Perkeo 1 with a Color Skopar lens in Compur shutter.

Both GREAT camera's.

Personally, I will never buy another old folder with Automation of any kind.

Old 03-26-2013   #4
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Kuzano,

The local camera repair shop did a complete service on my Perkeo II ... it's working much more smoothly now, and the advance lockout glitch (that happened only once ...) has not recurred. The CLA cost me about $150 or so, was well worth it. The camera now works (and looks!) as if new. I found a nice, clean Voigtländer rangefinder to complement it too:

G

Glad you found service.
Old 03-26-2013   #5
kuzano

Glad you found service.

I saw that rangefinder when you posted it elsewhere. That's very fitting to the camera as Voigtlander is known to do well. It also has a base leg for triangulation that is about the longest one can find for these camera's.

I wish I had not had such bad luck with the II's I had previously. I've had a few 6X6 folders (Super Balda, etc) and the Perkeo is the most attractive and compact "pocket" folder I've personally held and shot.

You have a nice one.

I'd probably not shoot much medium format, but the Walmart about a mile from my house uses Fujifilm Labs for their "Send Out" lab. They truck the film both ways, and for a ten day wait and often as low as 84 cents a roll, I get my negatives professionally processed.

As long as they keep doing that for me (7 years now), I will be shooting 120.

Never lost a roll or a neg.

Old 03-26-2013   #6
Godfrey
somewhat colored

It is indeed a lovely thing, and feels much more solidly built than the Balda Baldix. Which is a delightful camera too, in its own right. The Color Skopar lens on the Perkeo II is quite a bit more modern in its character than the Baltar lens on the Baldix. It is amazing just how small these cameras are for the negative size.

I've got the camera shop about 10 minutes away to do C41 for me, and I do the standard B&W at home. Not as cheap as a Walmart, but then I don't have to deal with Walmart.

I hope the OP has gotten his problem sorted.

G

Old 03-26-2013   #7
vegard_dino

Thanks for the reply.

BUt, a stupid question, how do I trip the shutter?

Old 03-26-2013   #8
GaryLH

Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

BUt, a stupid question, how do I trip the shutter?
In Godfrey's picture u can c it at around the 11 o'clock position, just under the folding door struct. I u press the body shutter release linkage u should be able too c the linkage move against the real shutter release coming off the leaf shutter body.. Since it appears that double exposure prevention is active, do not force the pressing if the shutter release mechanism on the body. If the shutter is properly cocked, then pressing down on that lever from the leaf shutter body will release the shutter.

Gary

Old 03-26-2013   #9
GaryLH

Here is mine. I have both the perkeo I and last if the series w/ built in rangefinder.

Excuse the crummy iPhone shot. They are great cameras. Even the vaskar triplet in the perkeo is pretty good but the Skopar is much better.

Gary
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-3563262104.jpg (37.0 KB, 27 views)

Old 03-26-2013   #10
GaryLH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
Kuzano,

The local camera repair shop did a complete service on my Perkeo II ...
G
Do they do bellows replacement? The bellows on one of mine is getting a bit worn.

Gary

Old 03-27-2013   #11
vegard_dino

THanks!!!

The shutter is working, it is released now.
But, one more thing...The indicating arrow on right side is not moving/pointing forword when I wind to the next frame.
Any tip?

Old 03-27-2013   #12
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Kuzano,

The local camera repair shop did a complete service on my Perkeo II ... it's working much more smoothly now, and the advance lockout glitch (that happened only once ...) has not recurred. The CLA cost me about $150 or so, was well worth it. The camera now works (and looks!) as if new. I found a nice, clean Voigtländer rangefinder to complement it too:

G
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryLH View Post
Do they do bellows replacement? The bellows on one of mine is getting a bit worn.

Gary
No, my bellows is in excellent condition. I don't know if Fred has access to those parts, I can ask next time I speak to him. That will be late next month.

G

Old 03-27-2013   #13
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
THanks!!!

The shutter is working, it is released now.
But, one more thing...The indicating arrow on right side is not moving/pointing forword when I wind to the next frame.
Any tip?
What indicating arrow are you referring to? I'm looking at a Perkeo I picture and I can't see an indicating arrow.

Old 03-27-2013   #14
vegard_dino

I am talking about the small arrow in the peep vindow on the right side, top of the camera.
That arrow was pointing forward when the film was wind forwored to the next frame and backwords when the photo had been taken.

Old 03-27-2013   #15
hanskerensky

It is this arrow :

Old 03-27-2013   #16
vegard_dino

YES!
Thas the arrow I am talking about.
Now it will not turn, will not point to the front after the exposure was done and a the film wind to the next frame.

Old 03-27-2013   #17
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
YES!
Now it will not turn, will not point to the front after the exposure was done and a the film wind to the next frame.
Ah, didn't see that. Well, if the camera is working otherwise, it seems the double-exposure prevention interlock might need a cleaning and lube.

G

Old 03-27-2013   #18
GaryLH

Quote:
No, my bellows is in excellent condition. I don't know if Fred has access to those parts, I can ask next time I speak to him. That will be late next month.

G
Thanks..for the help. I am in no hurry. My bellows are still usable, but bottom corner area opposite the door, it is getting thin and the inner and outer material has just started to separate.

Gary

Old 03-27-2013   #19
hanskerensky

Quote:
YES!
Well, i had the same problem with my Perkeo I.
If you want to know what is involved to solve that, have a look at my Flickr set about it :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2950454...7619237791537/

Hope you get it going again !

Old 03-27-2013   #20
vegard_dino

Hi.

Thank you for the help and the link.
I will start working with it today
Will come back with information on how it goes.

Old 03-28-2013   #21
vegard_dino

It is fixed

I am happy, my dear folder is back, working and taking photos.
Now, all I need is to be able to take good photos

Thank you all for helping me, spesial thanks to you hanskerensky for great help .

Have a good day all.

Old 03-28-2013   #22
hanskerensky

Ok, nice to hear. Good luck with the photos !

Old 03-28-2013   #23
vegard_dino

Thank you.

Any tip on film? I mean, these is a old camera, made to be used with films that are not made today.
Witch film, ISO and so will fit these camera best?
I am looking to take B&W and slides.

Old 03-28-2013   #24
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Excellent photos of the Perkeo top cover and mechanism, Hans! How different is the Perkeo II?

Quote:
Thank you.

Any tip on film? I mean, these is a old camera, made to be used with films that are not made today.
Witch film, ISO and so will fit these camera best?
I am looking to take B&W and slides.
I almost always stick to B&W with film cameras these days. I've shot mostly Fuji ACROS 100 and Ilford XP2 Super with the Perkeo II. The Color Skopar lens is good enough I'll try some Portra soon.

G

Old 03-28-2013   #25
vegard_dino

Thanks for the tip.

Old 03-28-2013   #26
hanskerensky

The Perkeo I lens has coating so you can use color film as well. Take a film with low ISO rating when shooting in sunny weather because top shutterspeed is not that high.
I prever Fuji Reala 100 120type Rollfilm. It's a film which scans easily.

Old 03-29-2013   #27
vegard_dino

Thanks for the tip, I will try that film to.

Perkeo I with Color Skopar 2 samples
Old 03-29-2013   #28
kuzano

Perkeo I with Color Skopar 2 samples

Here are a couple with my Color Skopar. Synchro Compur 1/500th Perkeo I:

Old 03-29-2013   #29
vegard_dino

Oh, nice.
Thanks for showing.
Now, I am off to take some shots myself.

Happy Easter all.

Old 05-09-2013   #30
BW400CN
Bessamatic forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanskerensky View Post
The Perkeo I lens has coating so you can use color film as well. Take a film with low ISO rating when shooting in sunny weather because top shutterspeed is not that high.
I prever Fuji Reala 100 120type Rollfilm. It's a film which scans easily.
You can use the Fuji Reala even with uncoated pre-war lenses.
The old Skopar 4,5 10,5cm is good for color shoots too!

Voigtländer Avus 6x9 - Fuji Reala 100 von BW400CN auf Flickr

Just take care that you use a lens hood - on the 6,3 Voigtar 4,5 Skopar and 4,5 Heliar the Zeiss 1110 28,5 will fit - which is easily to find as an assesory for the Zeiss Contina or Contaflex.

Voigtländer Avus 6x9 von BW400CN auf Flickr

You can use the Zeiss S27 Filters too!

Old 01-14-2015   #31
KoNickon
Nick Merritt

Resurrecting this older thread:

I just spent a surprisingly easy half hour or so fixing the double exposure prevention mechanism on my Perkeo I, thanks to Hans's Flickr set in post #19 above. I wanted to give credit where credit is due. Upon removing the top, I found that one of the springs controlling the mechanism, the one indicated by the green arrow in slide 15 of the Flickr set, had become unhooked. Small wonder that the mechanism would fail to disengage at random times, essentially making the camera unreliable and thus unusable. (I also found the clear covering for the "arrow" window (see post #15) under the top deck; that might have caused some jamming too.)

I found that the focus was off significantly at the film plane. This was an easy fix -- a matter of finding the correct infinity focus with a groundglass (matte finish Scotch tape, actually), loosening the three grub screws on the focusing ring, turning the focusing ring to infinity (while taking care to not turn the front element), and retightening the screws.

So because of the unreliability of the double exposure prevention mechanism and the bad focusing, I had basically shoved this camera into a box a few years ago. Now I plan to give it the fair chance it deserves!

Old 01-15-2015   #32
Solinar
Analog Preferred

Congratulations on the resurrection. The Perkeo is the dwarf of medium format 6x6 cameras.

Best Regards,

35mm Gear Bessa R, Leica II, - IIIg, - M2
Just for fun 35mm Gear a Kodak Retina II, Retina IIa, a Rollei 35 S, plus an Oly 35RC and XA
Modern Medium Format Fuji GW 690III
Vintage MF Folders a Voigtländer Bessa II and Perkeo II - a ZI Mess Ikonta 524/2 - plus an Agfa Super Isolette & a Record III
Digital a D300 and a D700 with some primes - still going a decade later

"Who spilled the Dektol on the bathroom carpet?"

Old 01-15-2015   #33
KoNickon
Nick Merritt

Yup -- just took some 120 Plus-X out of the freezer and will give it a whirl.

I think "Perkeo" is a sprite or mischievous fairy in German lore, so the name is apt for the compact size of the camera. Native Germans on the forum please correct me if I'm wrong. (And hopefully I've cured mine of mischief.)

Old 01-15-2015   #34
hanskerensky

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNickon View Post
Yup -- just took some 120 Plus-X out of the freezer and will give it a whirl.

I think "Perkeo" is a sprite or mischievous fairy in German lore, so the name is apt for the compact size of the camera. Native Germans on the forum please correct me if I'm wrong. (And hopefully I've cured mine of mischief.)
Well, i am not a native German either but here is what i read.
According to the book of Claus Prochnow, Voigtländer Report 3, page 35-873 it is Voigtländer self which wrote in a 1954 brochure that the name "Perkeo" was after a dwarf which was a jester at the court of the Pfals kingdom around 1720. He was small but very sturdy.

Have fun shooting your Perkeo ! They are small but indeed deliver great quality images !

Old 01-15-2015   #35
KoNickon
Nick Merritt

Thanks for the correction, Hans. If I had bothered to look it up I probably would have gotten the story straight.

I'm now pondering getting one of the Voigtlander rangefinders. There's one in a store near me, but they'll probably want too much for it. I rationalize it by thinking I can use it for my Vito B and Bessa I also.

Old 01-15-2015   #36
hanskerensky

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNickon View Post
I'm now pondering getting one of the Voigtlander rangefinders. There's one in a store near me, but they'll probably want too much for it. I rationalize it by thinking I can use it for my Vito B and Bessa I also.
They can indeed be quite expensive. It might be worth to consider a good working clip-on rangefinder like this Telex on one of my cameras :

Agfa Isolette L on Display (01) by Hans Kerensky, on Flickr

Old 02-24-2015   #37
BobBill

Nice rig, will look for finder -- and lens shade...I like.

Simple is usually best in the beginning, and always later.