Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Lomo / Diana / Holga / Pinhole /

Lomo / Diana / Holga / Pinhole / Dedicated to Lomo (NOT the same as Lomography) / Diana, Holga and Pinhole and photography. Not recommended for those endlessly obsessing over the sharpest lens.

Uncoated 6x6 folder, recommendations?
Old 01-31-2015   #1
johannielscom
Ich bin ein Barnacker

Uncoated 6x6 folder, recommendations?

Hi all,

about to embark on an internet search for a camera for my daughter.
She is thrilled by the image quality of my Super Ikonta B's, but I need to get her something of herself since I'm not willing to lend her one of my two specimens.

Requirement list:
  • 6x6
  • Uncoated lens (preferably. Or low contrast, coated one that will flare)
  • Considerably tougher than a Diana or a Holga (she had a Diana and it didn't live to tell the tale)
  • Sturdy folder or fixed lens
  • Easy to use
  • Cheap to get

Strap eyes or carrying it in a case both is fine. Exposure meter not required, nor is a rangefinder since I have accessory versions of those available to clip on and carry along.

She will primarily be shooting C41 film with it, mostly expired Fuji where possible. It's a color thing...

Preference for models that are readily available in the EU, or shipping and customs would sour the deal greatly...

Care to post a suggestion? Thanks!

I write vintage gear reviews on www.johanniels.com |

flickr | instagram |

Old 01-31-2015   #2
Crazy Fedya

A third Super Ikonta B?

Old 01-31-2015   #3
citizen99

Finding a camera early enough to have a lens that is both non-coated and good enough to be 'thrilled' by, would rule out a lot of box/fixed(/tube extension) cameras.

So I would think that an early model of a simple folder would be easiest to find. Examples that come to mind are e.g. :-

- Agfa Isorette / maybe early Isolette (some are stated to be coated). Might be too good to flare much anyway!

- Early Ensign Selfix 220. Usually found with the Ensar triplet, sometimes with the Tessar. (I have had both types in the Autorange 220 variant, both are also good lenses, the Tessar was a bit 'soft' but even that might not flare much).

- Plenty of others from the 1930s - Welturs, Ikontas, ...

Good luck

Old 01-31-2015   #4
Solinar
Analog Preferred

Even though I like my negatives big - as is the case with a IKONTA 521/2 - I'm thinking wouldn't be nice to have a smaller camera with an RF. How does a Super Ikonta A sound? Is it too fidly?

35mm Gear Bessa R, Leica II, - IIIg, - M2
Just for fun 35mm Gear a Kodak Retina II, Retina IIa, a Rollei 35 S, plus an Oly 35RC and XA
Modern Medium Format Fuji GW 690III
Vintage MF Folders a Voigtländer Bessa II and Perkeo II - a ZI Mess Ikonta 524/2 - plus an Agfa Super Isolette & a Record III
Digital a D300 and a D700 with some primes - still going a decade later

"Who spilled the Dektol on the bathroom carpet?"

Old 01-31-2015   #5
Roger Hicks

Dear Johan,

Lyubitel.

Cheers,

R.

Old 01-31-2015   #6
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Bessa 66. I use to have two, coated and uncoated lenses. Both have non-aggressive contrast.
I would recommend one without counter and viewfinder shifted to the corner, but with classic foldable viewfinder in the middle of top plate.

Old 01-31-2015   #7
johannielscom
Ich bin ein Barnacker

Thanks guys.

Any comment on a Zeiss Nettar? Is that a contestant too?

flickr | instagram |

Old 01-31-2015   #8
Crazy Fedya

Absolutely. Nettar lens is usually an uncoated triplet.

Old 01-31-2015   #9
p.giannakis
Pan Giannakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Fedya View Post
Absolutely. Nettar lens is usually an uncoated triplet.
Depends on the Nettar. The ones with the Novar 75 f/4.5 are coated.

The Monochrome Archives
Instagram

Old 01-31-2015   #10
KoNickon
Nick Merritt

Prewar Nettar 515/16.

Old 01-31-2015   #11
Crazy Fedya

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.giannakis View Post
Depends on the Nettar. The ones with the Novar 75 f/4.5 are coated.
I meant 75mm Nettar lens on Nettar folder.

Old 01-31-2015   #12
Pioneer

The early Agfa 6x9 cameras with the Anistigmats had leather bellows and there are lots of them that still work very well. No rangefinder and the lens is not a speed demon but you used to be able to pick up decent working examples for around $40.

The newer 6x6 Agfa cameras have good lenses but you will need to find an example with decent bellows and cleaned focus helical.

It is almost as good as a fast horse!
Dan

Old 01-31-2015   #13
Godfrey
somewhat colored

I had both Super Ikonta A (645 format, coated lens) and Super Ikonta B 6x6 format, uncoated lens). The A was a bit fiddly, I preferred the B both for its rendering qualities and for the less fiddly bit.

Currently have have a Balda Baldix 66, which reminds me of the Super Ikonta B in terms of lens quality even through it is coated, and a Voigtländer Perkeo II, the Color Skopar in which is coated and remarkably modern in feel. The Baldix and Perkeo both feel about 20-30% smaller and lighter than the Super Ikonta B; the latter in fact is my favorite folder. No rangefinder, but I have a couple of clip on rangefinders that work very well.

G

Old 01-31-2015   #14
johannielscom
Ich bin ein Barnacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
I had both Super Ikonta A (645 format, coated lens) and Super Ikonta B 6x6 format, uncoated lens). The A was a bit fiddly, I preferred the B both for its rendering qualities and for the less fiddly bit.

Currently have have a Balda Baldix 66, which reminds me of the Super Ikonta B in terms of lens quality even through it is coated, and a Voigtländer Perkeo II, the Color Skopar in which is coated and remarkably modern in feel. The Baldix and Perkeo both feel about 20-30% smaller and lighter than the Super Ikonta B; the latter in fact is my favorite folder. No rangefinder, but I have a couple of clip on rangefinders that work very well.

G
Good choices Godfrey.

thing is, I used to have an as-new Perkeo II and sold it to a Norwegian fellow here for a mere EUR 60. Then I found out how good (and highly sought after) they were. OTOH, he was really happy with it and that made me happy too.

Currently, no Perkeos on sale on the main Dutch vending site and I haven't seen one for quite a while either.

Smaller and lighter than a Super Ikonta B: please not, not for me! I like the size and heft of those cameras a lot!

flickr | instagram |

Old 01-31-2015   #15
jim_jm

Johann -

A Pre-war Ikonta B 521/16 might fit the bill. Same build quality as the Super but smaller and lighter if that is better for your daughter (similar to the Nettar). The 75/4.5 Novar lens is capable enough, scale-focus with a shutter button on the top plate and multiple-exposure prevention.

Old 01-31-2015   #16
02Pilot
Malcontent

FWIW, there are a few old folders relatively cheap over in the APUG classifieds right now. And while I happily shoot several old MF folders myself (a Certo Super Sport Dolly, a Perkeo II, and a Bessa II), I have to say that for the type of shooting you're describing, I have to second the Lubitel suggestion. Folders are definitely fussier and more prone to mechanical faults after all these years, and my girlfriend has gotten surprisingly good results out of her Lubitel.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Old 01-31-2015   #17
rhl-oregon
Cameras Guitars Wonders

Johan, I have a 520/16 with a Tessar that I got--improbably it seems to me considering its IQ and perfect functioning--for $56 from KEH. Mine is 645 but crops to perfectly wonderful 6x6 (below). 1937-1939 manufacture, and there were several 520 models, so worth looking out for.

http://rhl.photography

Old 02-02-2015   #18
tunalegs
Pretended Artist

Reflekta/Reflecta if you can find one with a serviceable mirror. Or voigtlander brilliant.

Old 02-02-2015   #19
Mr_Flibble

To name a few:
Welta Weltax (has a 6x4.5 option)
Zeiss Ikoflex TLR (any of the other early types)
Voigtländer Brillant/Brilliant pseudo-TLR (any of the later models with better shutters and lenses)

I'm sure you would bump into something suitable at the Nieuwegein Photographica Fair on the 8th of March...if you're going.

Latest Toys: Darkroom supplies

Old 02-02-2015   #20
Greyscale

Ansco B2 Speedex.

My RFF Gallery

Old 02-02-2015   #21
johannielscom
Ich bin ein Barnacker

The Photografica, not a bad idea, Rick!

At least I secured a Lubitel today, traded it for some Leica tools and a book that the current Lubitel owner had already been borrowing for quite some time anyway I'll be receiving it soon-ish

And, online I found a misrepresented Zeiss Ikon Ikonta for EUR 50, that I might be negotiating soon too so it looks like daughter will even have a choice.

flickr | instagram |

Old 02-02-2015   #22
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannielscom View Post
Good choices Godfrey.

thing is, I used to have an as-new Perkeo II and sold it to a Norwegian fellow here for a mere EUR 60. Then I found out how good (and highly sought after) they were. OTOH, he was really happy with it and that made me happy too.

Currently, no Perkeos on sale on the main Dutch vending site and I haven't seen one for quite a while either.

Smaller and lighter than a Super Ikonta B: please not, not for me! I like the size and heft of those cameras a lot!
I love the Perkeo II. While it's smaller and lighter than the Super Ikonta B, it actually feels better made and better finished to my hands. :-)

The Baldix 66 is a bit light and tinny feeling by comparison. Still nice, just not quite as robust.

G

Old 02-02-2015   #23
02Pilot
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
I love the Perkeo II. While it's smaller and lighter than the Super Ikonta B, it actually feels better made and better finished to my hands. :-)

The Baldix 66 is a bit light and tinny feeling by comparison. Still nice, just not quite as robust.

G
I agree completely on the Perkeo specifically and Voigtländer folders in general. I've got three - a Vito and a Bessa II in additional to the Perkeo II - and they all feel really well-made without being heavy. Elegant designs, all of them. The Perkeo is my go-to MF travel camera.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/