Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex

TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex another alternative to the dreaded SLR way of seeing, this forum for all format TLR cameras

Wide-angle TLRs?
Old 02-19-2015   #1
Oren Grad

Wide-angle TLRs?

What wide-angle TLRs exist? For purposes of this question I define wide angle as 60mm or shorter FL for a camera that makes 6x6cm pictures.

I can think of only these:
  • Rolleiwide
  • Rolleiflex FW
  • Rolleiflex 2.8 or 3.5 with 0.7x Mutar (some loss of optical quality)
  • Any Mamiya TLR with 55mm f/4.5
  • Standard FL TLR with assorted low-end wide-angle converter lenses (substantial loss of optical quality)
What am I missing?

FWIW, I am aware of the Koni-Omegaflex M with 58mm Hexanon, though that's 6x7 rather than 6x6, and is quite the beast. Also, Peter Gowland offered a wide-angle version of his 4x5 Gowlandflex, though I don't know whether he actually made/sold any.

Old 02-19-2015   #2
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

That's a good start. Off the top of my head I can't add any others, except perhaps to mention that there was a wide angle lens available for the Contaflexes, however you first need to find one, and then need to be able to afford to buy it, if you do! And of course it is 35mm, anyway.

For the imaging I do and the expense involved, the 1.5 Mutar always interested me more than the 0.7, and the quality I've seen from others with the tele Mutar has been excellent. So I wouldn't expect any loss in absolute sharpness from the 0.7 Mutar to be important for anything less than the most exacting of requirements, and I think Rollei simply would not have settled for anything less.

I seem to recall that a few years back the UK Rollei club had a member or two who did some tests and articles about using the Mutars, and what the quality was like. And there is some stuff on the web, too, that I'm sure I have read at one point, that you may be able to google up. One of the UK guys even stuck the 1.5 onto his Tele Rolleiflex for approx a 200mm Rolleiflex. There was some loss of sharpness, but for general use, it wasn't a deal breaker. As a Tele owner, I was intrigued by the possibilities. But you asked about wide angle lenses, not long ones, sorry...
I might even have a digital copy of the UK magazine article in my archives. If it's important enough let me know and I'll see if I still have the article.
Cheers,
Brett

Old 02-19-2015   #3
Ronald M

The only one I would consider off the top list is Rollie wide and it is at collector pricing.

Old 02-19-2015   #4
CMur12

The list above includes all of the wide-angle TLRs that I know of.

What I'd give for a Rolleiflex FW or Rolleiwide!
I do have a Mamiya TLR setup that includes the 55mm 4.5. I just got the lens recently, however, so I haven't tried it yet.
- Murray

Old 02-19-2015   #5
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Yashica made tele and wide converter lenses that mounted on the 124G, but the image quality is said to be pretty awful. I used a Mamiya C330f with the 55mm and 80mm lenses for several years, and the image quality was great. The cameras and lenses are cheap because they aren't collected like Rolleis. The only downside is they're heavy!

Old 02-20-2015   #6
Oren Grad

Thanks all!

What piqued my curiosity is that recently I assembled a Mamiya outfit with a C220 and the 55, 65 and 80mm lenses, just to try. Somewhat to my surprise, I've been having the most fun with the 55. And since my C220 is spending most of its time at 1/30 and 1/60...

Old 02-20-2015   #7
Spanik

I don't go lower with the C330 than with a SLR because the cramped way I need to hold it just to be able to see something in the viewfinder isn't leading to more stability. With my neck bent down, the camera held high just below my nose against my chest (the part that moves the most of your body) it just isn't stable.

Old 02-20-2015   #8
raid
Dad Photographer

The Rolleiwide may not be wide enough for most people.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 02-20-2015   #9
Oren Grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanik View Post
OTOH I don't go lower with the C330 than with a SLR because the cramped way I need to hold it just to be able to see something in the viewfinder isn't leading to more stability. With my neck bent down, the camera held high just below my nose agains my chest (the part that moves the most of your body) it just isn't stable.
For my C220 I got the dedicated left-hand grip (the one with the anti-twist pins but without the shutter release button) and the magnifying chimney finder. Transformed the camera from awkward and jittery to comfortable and stable for me. As always, YMMV.

Old 02-20-2015   #10
KoNickon
Nick Merritt

I have (but as yet have never used) the wide and tele auxiliary lenses for Bay I, made by Sun Optical. Has anyone tried these? I expect there is some reduction in optical quality, but how bad are they? I'll still use mine, but am curious to see what results others have gotten.

(Sorry for hijacking this thread, by the way.)

Old 02-20-2015   #11
Oren Grad

No problem - I too would be interested to hear of others' experiences with the auxiliaries.

Old 02-20-2015   #12
miragem5

Yashica-Mat66 & wideangle lens from 1969 by steveod2007, on Flickr

Yashica-mat 66 Ektar 100 by steveod2007, on Flickr

Yashica-mat 66 Ektar 100 by steveod2007, on Flickr
My Yashica-mat came with the wide aux lens , as you can see from the two photos taken from my backyard the wide lens is quite sharp in the centre but vignets quite strongly , it is nice to have with the camera but I never find a use for it , also the bay-1 fitting will not fit nicely on my other non Yashica TLRs.
The above shots were taken at f11-16 as per the instructions than came with the lens, I don't know if the tele version gives the same effect.

FW is my favorite.
Old 02-20-2015   #13
RedLion
Come to the Faire

FW is my favorite.

Of the three, the FW (Wide) is my favorite.

WIDE

Old 02-22-2015   #14
Thomas78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscrawfordphoto View Post

I used a Mamiya C330f with the 55mm and 80mm lenses for several years, and the image quality was great. The cameras and lenses are cheap because they aren't collected like Rolleis. The only downside is they're heavy!

This led me to the idea to combine the Mamiya 55mm TLR lens with a small TLR body to give a light and affordable TLR:

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140221

But up to now its just an idea...

Old 02-28-2015   #15
amoebahydra

My Rollei Wide .......................

Old 02-28-2015   #16
amoebahydra

My Rolleiflex 2.8F Planar with Mutar 0.7X ..................