Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Old 02-23-2015   #41
John E Earley
Tuol Sleng S21-0174

Kodak Retina IIIC. A really well made camera with some nice features but really finicky to use.

Old 02-23-2015   #42
FrankS

Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
Canon AE-1. Everyone I knew at the time owned one, and they all loved them. I bought one and promptly became the exception. All the controls had the tactile feel of a plastic toy.
Me too. Just never liked one of the most popular SLR's of all time.

photography makes me happy

Old 02-23-2015   #43
ChrisLivsey

Ilford Advocate, great looks, British!!, good wide angle lens, simple controls, what's not to like?
The shutter that fails and won't re-cock and allows the film to wind on and on and on BUT all this only after taking a vertical shot!!
If you ever look at my Flickr you will see probably, I'm not sad enough to count, that 50% of my 35mm is shot vertical, no idea why, so when I pick this beauty up and I've had her 30+ years now although I know what will happen my arms instinctively go for the vertical shot and too late!!
A known fault, but not often remarked upon, particularly as most are collected for their looks or the seller doesn't want to admit it, or perhap never shoots verticals?

Silvermax/Beutler for those who MUST know.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/red_eyes_man/

Old 02-23-2015   #44
Roger Hicks

Too many cameras to count -- so why count them?

Cheers,

R.

Old 02-23-2015   #45
back alley
IMAGES

looking down and seeing the reversed image on the yashica tlr...made me dizzy!
didn't care for the squinty finder on the canon ivsb...

other than that i have rarely met a camera i could'nt get along with.

Old 02-23-2015   #46
willie_901

o The m4/3 system in general
o The Nikkor 85/2 LTM lens (too heavy)
o The Nikkor 24/2 AIS F mount lens (very susceptible to ghosting and lateral CA was high)
o All fast Nikkor G, F mount primes (the high amount of longitudinal CA ruined the OOF rendering).
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 02-23-2015   #47
David Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.O'K. View Post
Minox 35 cameras. For me, the good lenses didn't compensate sufficiently for their fiddly controls and cheap plasticy feel.

The two examples I had--different models, at different times--also tended to overexpose.

Regards,
D.
I agree about the Minox 35 - I was underwhelmed by this camera
Canon L1, Leotax S, Bessa R2C, Konica Autoreflex, Canon FX, Pentax Spotmatic, Minolta SRT-101, Nikon F, Exakta VX, Miranda Automex II, Leotax K3, Yashica Mat LM, Leotax S, Pen FT, Rollei 35S, Ricoh Singlex TLS, Kowa Six, Pentax K1000, Canonflex, Praktina, Voigtlander R2C

http://legacycamera.wordpress.com

Old 02-23-2015   #48
David Murphy

At the risk of having hell rained on me, I think the Minolta Autocord is a little overrated. It's a nice camera, but not at the prices it seems to command today. For one thing it has reliability problems - especially the weird focusing cam mechanism.
Canon L1, Leotax S, Bessa R2C, Konica Autoreflex, Canon FX, Pentax Spotmatic, Minolta SRT-101, Nikon F, Exakta VX, Miranda Automex II, Leotax K3, Yashica Mat LM, Leotax S, Pen FT, Rollei 35S, Ricoh Singlex TLS, Kowa Six, Pentax K1000, Canonflex, Praktina, Voigtlander R2C

Old 02-23-2015   #49
Brian Legge

David, the trick is to buy an Autocord where the original buyer snapped off the focus lever early and put it back in a box. Buy it cheap, have a more robust lever installed with a CLA and you're back in to bargain territory.

Hexar AF and Olympus Stylus Epic. Evidently I either compose in ways or shoot too wide open for these cameras to get the focus where I want it. I suppose it saved me the expense of exploring other autofocus cameras like I have with other sorts.

Rollei 35S. Another focus issue but this time mine. I couldn't resist using this camera wide open and missed too many shots. Some are much better at this estimation than I am and I'm sure with enough practice I could have gotten there but it wasn't worth the frustration at the time.

Yashica 35CC. Great camera, fast handling, only part I disliked in the end was the bokeh. I found myself preferring other cameras for this reason alone and parted with it.

Old 02-23-2015   #50
mkvrnn

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Murphy View Post
At the risk of having hell rained on me, I think the Minolta Autocord is a little overrated. It's a nice camera, but not at the prices it seems to command today. For one thing it has reliability problems - especially the weird focusing cam mechanism.

What??? Go and wash your mouth out David Murphy!

Old 02-23-2015   #51
CMur12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthetasmaniac View Post
Minolta SRT101. It was the first non-Pentax SLR I used, after growing up with my parent's Spotmatic SP and K1000, and later my own MX and LX bodies, and it just felt... weird.

Fujifilm X100 mkI. I'd like to have a go at one of the later editions, but the first model, with early firmware, was by far the most frustrating camera I've used.
Quote:
Are you guys smoking crack?!

I was reading through this thread, enjoying myself, until I found this egregious lack of appreciation for two of my very favorite cameras!

Oh well, send any unwanted SR-Ts and Autocords to me and I will give them a good home. We must do this, however, before Nokton48 gets wind of any SR-Ts changing hands.

- Murray

Old 02-23-2015   #52
David Murphy

Great tip on the Autocord Brian.

The 35S is certainly a squirrely camera in many ways, but the Sonnar makes it worth the hassle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Legge View Post
David, the trick is to buy an Autocord where the original buyer snapped off the focus lever early and put it back in a box. Buy it cheap, have a more robust lever installed with a CLA and you're back in to bargain territory.

Hexar AF and Olympus Stylus Epic. Evidently I either compose in ways or shoot too wide open for these cameras to get the focus where I want it. I suppose it saved me the expense of exploring other autofocus cameras like I have with other sorts.

Rollei 35S. Another focus issue but this time mine. I couldn't resist using this camera wide open and missed too many shots. Some are much better at this estimation than I am and I'm sure with enough practice I could have gotten there but it wasn't worth the frustration at the time.

Yashica 35CC. Great camera, fast handling, only part I disliked in the end was the bokeh. I found myself preferring other cameras for this reason alone and parted with it.

Old 02-23-2015   #53
KoNickon
Nick Merritt

I had a Mamiya GS645 (the nonfolding one with the "crash bar" protecting the lens. The RF patch was so small and dim it made using the camera exasperating.

I'll speak out in support of David that the Autocord's ergonomics make it not all it's cracked up to be for me (I'm thinking of the focusing lever and the wind crank, with its folding tip).

Finally, I'm sure to be ducking when I say this, but the Nikon F3 was a disappointment. I didn't care for the metering pattern, and why in the world is the on/off switch this small lever that's a chore to budge?

Old 02-23-2015   #54
skibeerr

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNickon View Post
I had a Mamiya GS645 (the nonfolding one with the "crash bar" protecting the lens. The RF patch was so small and dim it made using the camera exasperating.

I'll speak out in support of David that the Autocord's ergonomics make it not all it's cracked up to be for me (I'm thinking of the focusing lever and the wind crank, with its folding tip).

Finally, I'm sure to be ducking when I say this, but the Nikon F3 was a disappointment. I didn't care for the metering pattern, and why in the world is the on/off switch this small lever that's a chore to budge?

You must mean Fuji, I have a sweet spot for them.

Most annoying to me, the lens shade and overall handling of the GW 690.
I have the 670 III version and would not miss it for the world.

Old 02-23-2015   #55
skibeerr

I just bought an Autocord CDS III a month ago and must say it's a sweet camera.

Even though it will cost me a couple of hundred to get it in tip top shape again.

Old 02-23-2015   #56
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives

Quote:
Agree.

I went for the Ricoh Diacord series (way more robust focusing mechanism) and never looked back.

Back on topic, I don't care much about Mamiya RB67, but I love the MUP.

Old 02-23-2015   #57
MrFujicaman

Bronica S2A...I've seen shotguns that made less noise than the S2A's shutter. Lenses were sharp, but the noise and the weight of the thing.....

Old 02-23-2015   #58
Pablito
coco frío

Konica Hexar RF- impossible to keep RF aligned. Spent most of its life at Konica repair.

Konica Hexar AF - least accurate frame lines ever, much worse than the infamous Leica M6

Minolta CLE- a pain to use in Manual, useless averaging meter, crappy plastic battery cover that would open and spill the batteries

Old 02-23-2015   #59
lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablito View Post
Konica Hexar RF- impossible to keep RF aligned. Spent most of its life at Konica repair.
The one I tried had a problem with the frame counter, as discussed here. I also found the viewfinder a bit weird, although that problem is harder to describe. Having said that the 28mm M-Hexanon lens is wonderful.

Old 02-24-2015   #60
Pentudlian

Olympus Trip.
There, I've said it ...

Old 02-24-2015   #61
nongfuspring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentudlian View Post
Olympus Trip.
There, I've said it ...
I agree, the trip is one of the cult cameras that I don't really understand the appeal of at all.

Old 02-24-2015   #62
Paolo Bonello
3 from 36 on a good day.

Minolta 7s. Aperture and speed ring ergonomics are crap.

Old 02-24-2015   #63
Ronald M

Disliked Nikon F and F2 because everyone I examined had crunchy winds. Then I found one without and it was smooth as butter. Bought it, still have it.

Same for my Nikormat.

Old 02-24-2015   #64
Ronald M

[quote=Tom A;2453771]

Sometimes designers come up with things that are incomprehensible. It probably sounded like a good idea at the drafting table - but as a camera!
The Voigtlander Prominent was one of the clumsiest cameras made in the 50's. Built like a tank and about as practical! Howvere, the lenses were good, really good. I still have the Nokton 50f1.5 - and with an adapter I can use it on my Nikon Rf's. I donated the body to a friend who likes things that are complicated - an obviously is not a photographer![/QUOTE

A neighbor bought two brand new for weddings. After a few WEEKS, the rangefinders failed from being made of unhardened brass ( he is a metallurgist for day job). Yes the lenses were very good.

He bought Leicas and used the for decades.

Old 02-25-2015   #65
the hoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentudlian View Post
Olympus Trip.
There, I've said it ...
Agree too, that was my second worst. Worst was a Kodak 126 bought with green shield stamps in 1969, ok I know that doesn't really count but it made me realise that cheap plastic camera, dodgy lens and a film inside a cartridge weren't really going to work.

Old 02-27-2015   #66
GarageBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nongfuspring View Post
I agree, the trip is one of the cult cameras that I don't really understand the appeal of at all.
Yup, a vintage point and shoot with a crappy Selenium meter that may or may not work with an okay lens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald M View Post
Disliked Nikon F and F2 because everyone I examined had crunchy winds. Then I found one without and it was smooth as butter. Bought it, still have it.

Same for my Nikormat.
The F2 has all steel gears to survive the MD2 induced pounding - they feel like a cement mixer even when new
The F is nicer in that regard

Old 02-27-2015   #67
f16sunshine

Konica iiia

Gorgeous 1:1 finder with moving framelines that expanded out to adjust for focus distance.
Chrispy sharp 50mm f1.8 Hexanon with beautiful oof character.
Mine was freshely CLA by Greg Weber and, had the EV sync removed for indipendant control of shutter and aperture
Wicked heavy build quality... on the level of Leica or Rollei.

I just could not get on with the funky front lever advance system.
It worked great but I could not mesh with it. A case of a good system being fowled by an incompatible operator.

Untitled by Adnan W, on Flickr

Old 02-27-2015   #68
mike rosenlof
Insufficient information

Rollei 35S. Maybe too small, maybe scale focusing. I knew those things when I bought it. Great lens. Maybe but it's still only 35mm. I knew that too. Still have it, I guess I should pull it out and give it another try.

Old 02-27-2015   #69
Brian Atherton

Garish camera straps with the maker's name plastered in huge lettering.

"Maintenant, mon ami !"
http://www.asingulareye.wordpress.com

Old 02-27-2015   #70
farlymac
PF McFarland

The way the meter would shut off when putting the Canon QL17 in Manual mode. They couldn't have just put an external switch somewhere?

PF

Old 02-27-2015   #71
Tom A
RFF Sponsor

the idea of the periscope viewing looked good on paper most likely - but dim doesn't half describe it. Otherwise the Periflexes are kind of neat - and, what the hell you can always scale focus!

Old 02-28-2015   #72
Nokton48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
The absurd way of changing focusing screens on a Nikon F. I have to use my pocket knife (!) to press in the release button on the back of the camera, turn the camera upside down and shake, then hope the screen falls into my hand. As much as I like my F, the screen/prism changing procedure is not one of its finest features.

Jim B.
When I bought my Nikon F new they told me it was designed to be used with a plastic ball-point pen cap (for holding down the screen release button).

Old 02-28-2015   #73
Nokton48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
The absurd way of changing focusing screens on a Nikon F. I have to use my pocket knife (!) to press in the release button on the back of the camera, turn the camera upside down and shake, then hope the screen falls into my hand. As much as I like my F, the screen/prism changing procedure is not one of its finest features.

Jim B.
When I bought my Nikon F new they told me it was designed to be used with a plastic ball-point pen cap (for holding in the screen release button).

Old 02-28-2015   #74
Nokton48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Fedya View Post
OM system flimsiness of film transport. It made me feel like handling an unknown Contax II or Kiev cameras: you don't know when that ribbon will break.
I agree with this. I went as far as to have Marty Forscher modify the Olympus 24mm F3.5 PC to Nikon F, such was my dislike of the flimsiness of my OM's.

Old 02-28-2015   #75
dmr
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcophilus Harrisii View Post
Pentax K1000. Bright viewfinder, granted, but a real povvo pack model, no DOF preview, no timer. And boring as bat**** to use. The definitive uncharismatic Japanese SLR. Massively overrated and, these days, overpriced. Give me a Spotmatic any day over one of those.
I'm kind of backwards from you on this one. I found the changing of lenses on the Spotmatic to be clumsy and tedious! I traded it for the K1000. (This was decades ago.) It (K1000) is still my primary film camera for serious shooting.

Old 10-09-2015   #76
Lobo
Minimalist

Voightländer VitocC, the later one with in Minox shape.Its smart build, and featherlight.But its imagequality is not much good.

Olympus Pen EE-2. small,good looking. good imagequality for halfframe even in closed rooms with normal daylight.But in some scenes e.g daylight with a dark background,it overexposes heaviely.

Old 10-09-2015   #77
btgc

XA2, maybe. Very nice at first look, but so tiny, so light, so fiddly release. I'm glad I had chance to use one but frankly will carry one only when radically constrained by dimensions and weight. Great line-up, though.

Old 10-09-2015   #78
Dralowid
Michael

My favourite lens is the 50mm Elmar-M but it has one ergonomic shortcoming.

If I collapse it without cap, filter or hood and I have cut my nails recently I find it hard to get it out again! OK the solution is simple but it is an infuriating annoyance in something that is otherwise truly exceptional.

Old 10-09-2015   #79
lynnb

Yashica Electro 35 GSN. Love the lens, but can't love the handling no matter how I try. Too big for my hands. And the RF patch is difficult to focus.
Flickr

Old 10-09-2015   #80
lynnb

Any camera with a metal eyepiece surround that scratches spectacles. I'm looking at you, Fed-3.
Flickr