Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex

TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex another alternative to the dreaded SLR way of seeing, this forum for all format TLR cameras

Ikoflex Favorit
Old 11-24-2010   #1
Jack Conrad

Ikoflex Favorit

My new Favorit.

I just spent the last few hours unsticking the shutter.

Anyone familiar with these tlr's?

Old 11-25-2010   #2
Jack Conrad

Old 11-25-2010   #3
ZeissFan

That's an excellent sample that you own. Were you able to remove the front panel? There's a trick to it, and it requires removing the leather covering from the front panel.

As much as I love Zeiss Ikon cameras, their TLRs never quite matched the Rolleiflex for ease of use. The Ikoflex Favorit is considered to be the top of the line, and it has many excellent features.

The viewing system is actually quite bright. As I recall, it's four or five pieces. The meter needle inside the viewfinder is handy, although you then have to take your eye away from the viewfinder to set the aperture and shutter speed.

And this Favorit can fall into the "camera as a weapon" category because of its weight and its sturdiness.

The Ikoflex line has the distinction of being one of the few cameras in which nearly every model looked radically different from the version that it replaced.

Another thing about the Ikoflex: The premium lens was always a Zeiss Tessar and never a Zeiss Planar, even when the Planar was available for the rival Rolleiflex. Not that the Tessar is a bad choice.

Old 11-25-2010   #4
ZeissFan

These have a 35.5mm filter thread, which is also used by the prewar Tenax II and the postwar Ikonta, Mess Ikonta and Super Ikonta III and IV (filter must be reverse mounted for the Ikonta, Mess Ikonta and Super Ikontas).

Old 11-25-2010   #5
Jack Conrad

Thanks Zeissfan. Interesting information. This camera is a bit of a mystery to me. There is very little info specifically related to this Favorit model.
I've only removed the front glass to access the shutter from the front since it was froze up, but I'm obviously hesitant to go deeper without a schematic or something to guide me.
Even so, the shutter now functions again, although still sticks occasionally in the slow speeds.
I can dry fire it all day long now, but I think I'll need to load it with film to test the film advance mechanism and double exposure prevention lock.

Old 12-02-2010   #6
Jack Conrad

Here's one from the Favorit using Neopan 100 developed in D-76 100% for 8 minutes.

Old 12-02-2010   #7
Austintatious

Beautiful camera !
Looks like you got it working...congrats

RF's : Bessa-R ,FED II, Olympus 35RC , Kiev 4AM,Argus C-3
Other :Minolta XD-11, Minolta SRT102, Pentax Spotmatic ,Nikon N80, Yashica-Mat 124G, Rolleicord Va
Digital :Nikon D7100, Sony NEX 6, Panasonic LX-5

Old 03-26-2015   #8
NaChase

It's sharp too
1810 by N.Chase, on Flickr

RF Cameras: Leica M2, Leica M3, Leica M5, Leica M6, Mamiya 7II,
RF Lenses:
75mm Summilux, 50mm DR Summicron, 50mm "Millennium" Nikkor, 35mm Zeiss Distagon 1.4, 35mm 2.8 Summaron, Mamiya 43mm, Mamiya 80mm, Mamiya 150mm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
http://www.flickr.com/groups/film_is...ong_live_film/

Old 03-26-2015   #9
KoNickon
Nick Merritt

I have two, both currently inoperative. I don't know if it's simply a matter of the shutter leaves being gummed up, or if the shutter spring has given out.

Mark Hansen, who says on his website that he generally likes the Ikoflexes, will not work on the Favorit. Apparently there is no way to detension the shutter once the 12th exposure has been made, so that hastens the spring's wearing out.

The Favorit, like the Rolleiflexes, has a sensor that detects the thickness of the film -- I think it's the only non-Rollei that does this.

The Ikoflexes all have nice bright finders, but I do wish the focus knob had a longer throw -- their design makes careful focusing harder. And it's too bad they don't use the Rollei bayonet fitting.

You definitely get the impression that TLRs were an afterthought for Zeiss Ikon -- beautifully made, but nothing cutting edge. And, also typical for ZI, they were over complicated and so harder to fix than their competition.

Old 03-26-2015   #10
Pioneer

I am fortunate that the shutter in my Favorit is working great. I keep running film through it to keep it that way.

Actually, the minute I finish a roll I load another and take a photo. That way the camera does not sit with the shutter tensioned.

However, to be honest, one should continually work any camera with these shutters since sitting to long between uses is not good for them, whether or not the shutter is tensioned. I try to keep my Rollei Automat and my ZI Favorit in use regularly.

Besides, the results truly are stunning!

It is almost as good as a fast horse!
Dan

Old 03-27-2015   #11
KoNickon
Nick Merritt

Just pulled out the one that was working most recently and, mirabile dictu, it is working (not the slow speeds, apparently, but I'll take it). I'll need to exercise it more, but have left it with having taken exposure 12 -- any winding would be tensioning the shutter.

This camera is a classic example of a rollfilm camera that doesn't seem to work at all, until you load it with film. But you can trick the shutter into working without film by turning the wind knob several turns, then, while pushing down the small pin on the righthand edge of the back door, then pushing down the roller bar just above the film gate until you hear a click. This is the "feeler" that detects the film passing over it and sets the frame counter, Rolleiflex style. Once you've done this, though, you have to wind and shoot all 12 frames before it will reset. (In other words, you can't make sure the shutter fires by tripping the shutter a couple of times and then load a roll of film -- the counter will not reset to 0 until it's run through all 12.)

I do not think there is a way to deactivate the LVS system on the camera, which is too bad, since it makes changing exposure settings somewhat of a pain.

Old 04-11-2015   #12
Ron (Netherlands)

I had one for quite some years - it was my first MF reflex - until I bought a Rolleiflex 2.8C. The Ikoflex gave me very sharp pictures. The lightmeter was also working fine and I really liked the EVS system - which I was missing dearly in the Rollei. Since I was still a student then, I had to sell it to finance the Rollei. Btw yours is looking much better than mine (especially at the edges of the front panel):

Ikoflex Favorit - TLR 0f 1958
by Ron (Netherlands), on Flickr

Leica: IIa synch conversion, IIIb, M6 TTL Millenium, 2x Rolleicord Vb, 2x Rolleiflex 3.5F white face, Rolleiflex 2.8A, 5x ICA Tropica

My Flickr