Slightly disappointed :(
Old 06-17-2015   #41
GaryLH

Slightly disappointed :(

http://www.us.ricoh-imaging.com/about/press/354

For me, this was a disappointment. The only upgrade features appealed to me
- faster af
- 1 second start up times
The other stuff though nice, was not interested. I was hoping that if they were not going to offer a 40 fov model, then give me a 24mp sensor so that the 47 fov crop mode has more useable pixels. And no evf yet. Panasonic can put an evf on the gm5, come on Ricoh.

Gary

Old 06-17-2015   #42
coelacanth
Ride, dive, shoot.

Well, Wi-Fi is not worth that humpback on the top IMHO. The GR is already Eye-Fi enabled with dedicated menu and that's good enough for me. I mean, I welcome NFC/Wi-Fi addition and I think that suits GR's concept well, but I can comfortably wait for the next iteration while I enjoy my GR.

I'll keep my "every other GR(-D)" approach and wait for another 2 years.

b/w guy.

flickr | Instagram

Old 06-17-2015   #43
GaryLH

Same.. Given the short life cycles these days.. I have basically gotten into a 2-3 year cycle myself. The Sigma DP0 Quattro is on my hit list though. I am not even sure right now I will update to a new xp2 from Fuji when they finally announce it. I am happy w/ what I currently have and I don't really need more than 16mp except for cropping in post. I would have updated to a 24mp Ricoh though, I would have waited until the gr 3 was announced..

Gary

Old 06-17-2015   #44
Gary Sandhu

I hope for weather sealing and an optional EVF would be nice

Old 06-17-2015   #45
BillBingham2

The announcement says the GR and the GRII are the same size, only time will tell.

Not sure why such a small upgrade (features/functionality) took so long.

B2

UPDATE: I compared the numbers and the hump adds almost a full inch to the depth!

Seems someone forgot one of the key design points of the GR family.

On the positive side the price of the original GR might come down before they sell out.

Old 06-17-2015   #46
Archlich

Saves me from the wife's wrath as I will be sticking to the old one. A fine upgrade!

Old 06-17-2015   #47
GaryLH

It seems like the Pentax side is eating up the resources. This gr II release feels like more of a don't forget about Ricoh kind of marketing thing. IMHO.

Gary

Old 06-17-2015   #48
segedi
RFicianado

Hmm... Nothing to see here. Move along.

Segedi.com

Flickr

Twitter

Old 06-17-2015   #49
taemo

^yup, glad to see that i get to use my 800$ somewhere else instead.

the GR is near perfect for my need, FF and/or better lens sealing (no sensor or lens dust) would be the only thing that would consider me an insta-upgrade

Old 06-17-2015   #50
coelacanth
Ride, dive, shoot.

As it was underwhelming seeing the GR II, it was also a reminder that the GR is pretty darn near perfect camera for its concept, almost unchanged, only honed and matured from the original film ancestor GR1.

I'm not in a hurry. There will be a new GR that I'll eventually move onto, but that doesn't have to happen now.

b/w guy.

flickr | Instagram

Old 06-17-2015   #51
FrozenInTime

There does seem to be a collective sigh of relief, that there is nothing today to temp us away from our perfectly adequate GR cameras.

But the mental note is taken to check back in a couple of years.

Old 06-17-2015   #52
jsrockit

Well, I'm of the opinion that the sensor is getting old at this point and the AF cannot focus in low light. I was hoping to have something that performs closer to what I'm used to with my other cameras. I just don't see the point in a new version ... unless the improved AF fixes my low light concern. I guess I'll have to wait and see the reviews...

Old 06-17-2015   #53
Sam N

If you've updated your firmware and enabled the AF-assist beam, low light focusing works surprisingly well. Of course it all depends on how low you mean, but it works fine for me in light as dim as I'd want to shoot in.

Old 06-18-2015   #54
sevres_babylone

I want to wait for reviews about the AF improvements in real-life low light situations. I do shoot at 25600 at times. Although I'd like to see some noise improvement at that ISO, I can live with what I have working with RAW files; from what I've read, the improvements are with the jpeg only. The high ISO jpegs are currently pretty bad, but I shoot RAW+JPEG and rarely use them anyway. I could have used better AF shooting a band with a lot of back of stage to front movement; I was having do a lot of switch in snap from 1.5 to 2 meters. As for the wifi improvements --not something I need right now, but undoubtedly attractive to a lot of other people.

Old 06-18-2015   #55
j.scooter

I would have really liked to have seen some sort of dust/weather resistance

Old 06-19-2015   #56
jsrockit

A very boring update... I'm not sure why they bothered.

Old 06-19-2015   #57
sevres_babylone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
A very boring update... I'm not sure why they bothered.
Maybe because updates aren't just for owners of the current model to "upgrade", but to attract new buyers who might have been deterred by missing features. The wi-fi thing is essential to some people (not me), and if the improved AF is as good as claimed, that would be attractive especially for people who use the Ricoh to shoot video (again not me).

Since I don't have any money right now to spend on a new camera, I'm almost relieved at the modesty of the upgrade

Old 06-19-2015   #58
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevres_babylone View Post
Maybe because updates aren't just for owners of the current model to "upgrade", but to attract new buyers who might have been deterred by missing features. The wi-fi thing is essential to some people (not me), and if the improved AF is as good as claimed, that would be attractive especially for people who use the Ricoh to shoot video (again not me).
Maybe... we will see. I was hoping for the 24mp sensor that Pextax uses in its DSLRs. Then the crop mode would be more beneficial.

Old 06-19-2015   #59
stompyq

The biggest disappointment for me was Ricoh keeping the same sensor. I've been increasingly using my cellphone to upload images on to social networking sites, so the wifi feature is handy. However that in itself is not enough to justify a upgrade for me. The AF is fine for me although I sometimes do get frustrated in lowlight situations. I think I will wait for the next itteration

Old 06-19-2015   #60
JoeV
Thin Air, Bright Sun

I think the older GR's price was coming down in anticipation of the new one. Now it seems there's no reason not to get the older version, unless the wireless features are important.

~Joe

Inventor of the Light Pipe Array
My Blog
My latest book

Old 06-19-2015   #61
GaryLH

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Maybe... we will see. I was hoping for the 24mp sensor that Pextax uses in its DSLRs. Then the crop mode would be more beneficial.
Exactly..

While crop 35 still has enough mp to print with, crop 47 definitely could have used the extra mp that 24mp sensor would have brought.

The Leica q implementation of the fake 35 and 50 frame lines is nice as well though just give me a 24mp camera w/ evf..slightly taller is ok.. Panasonic zs50 shows what can be done there.

Gary

Old 06-21-2015   #62
uhoh7

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/61...nor-tweaks.htm

here we go

Old 06-21-2015   #63
padam

Quite disappointing.
The good thing about it is that they could update the AF performance with firmware on the previous GR, which would make it even better value than before - but only if they wanted to...

Maybe Nikon can strike back if they decide to do something more serious with the Coolpix A replacement.

Old 06-21-2015   #64
sevres_babylone

Quote:
Originally Posted by padam View Post
Quite disappointing.
The good thing about it is that they could update the AF performance with firmware on the previous GR, which would make it even better value than before - but only if they wanted to...
We shall see. Ricoh has been pretty good in this regard. (in contrast to Olympus, which never offered focus peaking on the original EM-5, even though some people had come up with an awkward work around using Art filters, which suggests it is possible.
Ricoh did add the 47mm crop to the GR, which many posters in the DPreview forums noted that their commentator had missed when he wrote that this was another improvement on the GR II.

Old 06-22-2015   #65
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives

I think this is a "boring" update for us because we are all familiar with its pedigree and current capabilities.

But for Ricoh I imagine this is a necessary update to attract new adopters. Wifi is a must these days.

An OVF in the place of the flash popup would have been perfect and makes it even closer to its glorious Ricoh GR1 heritage.