Old 08-15-2015   #201
chhayanat

I really liked your work! Looking forward to see your doodle collection as well! Are you using Koken? Any thoughts on how to switch the CMS when Koken gets sold?

Best,

Mani

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuJu View Post
Thanks for your kind words, Will. Yeah, I made a empty link there to motivate myself to update the website with personal stuff, but got busy with work and my 3-yr-old boy... Hopefully I'll get to it in a few weeks.

Old 08-15-2015   #202
Monz
Monz

After seeing Chris Livsey's Nakaya, I ordered one....

Nakaya 1
by Monz, on Flickr

Nakaya 2
by Monz, on Flickr

This is a Nakaya 17mm Portable Cigar in Aka Tamenuri finish, 14K Broad nib.

My Top 10

Flickr Gallery

Old 08-15-2015   #203
ChrisLivsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monz View Post
After seeing Chris Livsey's Nakaya, I ordered one....
No commission

I really hope you love it,looks great, glad to see you bought the rest as well.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/red_eyes_man/

Old 08-15-2015   #204
Monz
Monz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLivsey View Post
No commission

I really hope you love it,looks great, glad to see you bought the rest as well.
Thanks Chris. Like yours, the pen is clipless, so I thought it would be wise to get the pen rest to avoid accidental roll-offs.

BTW I also got that cute goldfish converter

My Top 10

Flickr Gallery

Old 08-15-2015   #205
JuJu

Quote:
Originally Posted by chhayanat View Post
I really liked your work! Looking forward to see your doodle collection as well! Are you using Koken? Any thoughts on how to switch the CMS when Koken gets sold?

Best,

Mani
Thanks, Mani, I made my website with Dreamweaver CS6, kind of outdated...

Here's another pen for doodles, a Sailor Pro Gear with medium fine nib (a lot thinner than European extra fine). It draws in a very controlled/precise fashion, quite different from Omas Milord's expressive/loose style. Love them both!

Cheers,
Tung

Old 08-16-2015   #206
JuJu

Some questions for Nakaya pen owners: how does the nib feel? Wet/dry, flexy/rigid? How does the nib compare to Sailor's? Or feels similar to any brand's nib?

This thread is bad...

Thanks in advance!
Tung

Old 08-16-2015   #207
Monz
Monz

Quote:
Some questions for Nakaya pen owners: how does the nib feel? Wet/dry, flexy/rigid? How does the nib compare to Sailor's? Or feels similar to any brand's nib?

This thread is bad...

Thanks in advance!
Tung
Dear Tung,

I'm a very new Nakaya owner :-) I did quite a bit of research before choosing a "Broad" nib for my "fat" portable cigar (see pictures above). I normally like European medium, but I was told that Japanese medium was more like European fine whilst Japanese broad was like European medium. Nakaya also do a soft medium and a soft fine which have some flex (not much).

When you order, you can specify certain characteristics: ink flow, pressure used, angle the pen is held, L/R handed use etc. I chose a "medium flow" for by broad nib: it lays down a satisfyingly wet, thick medium line; very smooth with a tiny amount of give (by no means flex or semi-flex). It is comparable to my Pelikans in terms of smoothness. I don't have a Sailor to compare with.

I guess, with the Nakayas, you are paying for the body; the nib is equivalent to a Platinum nib. The Nakyas pens are made by guys who used to work for Platinum and who have now retired.

--
Monz

My Top 10

Flickr Gallery

Old 08-16-2015   #208
JuJu

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and congrats on your new Nakaya, Monz, I haven't heard of any complains about Nakaya's nibs so far, and that's very comforting :-)

Cheers,
Tung

Here's pen & watercolor sketch, with Aurora Talentum Finesse extra fine nib. This pen is always inked and ready to go since I bought it 5 years ago. Never fails to perform.

Old 08-20-2015   #209
B.Toews

I've been watching this thread with interest, as I recently started using fountain pens on a daily basis. This Sheaffer Snorkel Valiant was a recent gift from my grandmother, and I also have a disposable fountain pen from BIC, which I have been using to test the waters of the fountain pen world...

Sheaffer
by Brendan | Toews, on Flickr

Old 08-20-2015   #210
Monz
Monz

Heart of the Beast
by Monz, on Flickr

Lovely broad Nakata nib with heart-shaped breather hole... the ink on it is Kon Peki

My Top 10

Flickr Gallery

Old 08-21-2015   #211
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives

Quote:

Here's pen & watercolor sketch, with Aurora Talentum Finesse extra fine nib. This pen is always inked and ready to go since I bought it 5 years ago. Never fails to perform.
Tung,

The Pen and Wash style of drawing/painting is one of my favorites. Do you have any resource on how to learn it? Or share more of your drawings with this style

Old 08-21-2015   #212
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives

Quote:

Heart of the Beast
by Monz, on Flickr

Lovely broad Nakata nib with heart-shaped breather hole... the ink on it is Kon Peki
Monz, pardon the basic question, is that a broad nib because it produces thick lines, or it's called broad because it is physically big?

Old 08-22-2015   #213
Monz
Monz

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfox View Post
Monz, pardon the basic question, is that a broad nib because it produces thick lines, or it's called broad because it is physically big?
Hi Will,
It's "broad" because of the wide line width that it produces.... but to complicate matters, it's Japanese "broad" which is equivalent to Western "medium"! It's a bit like shoe and dress sizes... no international standard :-)

--
Monz

My Top 10

Flickr Gallery

Old 08-22-2015   #214
Jack Conrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul View Post
Jack,

That's the same as mine, which I found in Istanbul.
Inked with Ancient Copper and it writes smoothly and a bit wet.

Does yours need a new converter?
Mine doesn't have a converter, just plastic cartridges.

Old 08-22-2015   #215
Peter Wijninga

It seems I have found fountain pen heaven. I need good advice: the ink suction mechanism in my Montblanc -you turn a dial and the pump is supposed to suck ink from a well does not function any longer. How do I fix this? Can I flush the suction mechanism myself or does it mean an expensive trip to a Montblanc dealer? Many thanks for your best advice. Peter

Old 08-22-2015   #216
Monz
Monz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Wijninga View Post
It seems I have found fountain pen heaven. I need good advice: the ink suction mechanism in my Montblanc -you turn a dial and the pump is supposed to suck ink from a well does not function any longer. How do I fix this? Can I flush the suction mechanism myself or does it mean an expensive trip to a Montblanc dealer? Many thanks for your best advice. Peter

Hi Peter,
Is your Mont Blanc a Meisterstuck model with a piston filler? If you don't want to send it to Mont Blanc for a (expensive) service, it is possible to do the job yourself but you need to buy or make a special wrench to disassemble the piston mechanism. Then you can wash out and re-grease the mechanism... but be careful, it is easy to crack the resin of the barrel.
--
Monz

My Top 10

Flickr Gallery

Old 08-22-2015   #217
Monz
Monz

PS: useful links for DIY Mont Blanc servicing:
http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/fo...ont-blanc-146/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJBIGZ2KAKM

My Top 10

Flickr Gallery

Old 08-23-2015   #218
David Hughes
David Hughes

Hi,

We've several experts here and so I wonder if any one can identify the exact model and age this is, please?

I know nothing about it except that a colleague gave it to me when she retired as it reminded her of work and I'd spotted it under her desk (meaning on the floor) on her last day. It was probably bought in France as that was where she came from.

I had to tweak the nib alignment with a pair of pliers and it meant I could retire my scratchy Parker 51 and even scratchier Mont Blanc.

Regards, David

Old 08-23-2015   #219
David Hughes
David Hughes

Quote:

Thanks. I've very pleased to learn that I'm not the only one making tools out of paper clips. I feel there's hope for us...

Regards, David

Old 08-23-2015   #220
Monz
Monz

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hughes View Post
Hi,

We've several experts here and so I wonder if any one can identify the exact model and age this is, please?

I know nothing about it except that a colleague gave it to me when she retired as it reminded her of work and I'd spotted it under her desk (meaning on the floor) on her last day. It was probably bought in France as that was where she came from.

I had to tweak the nib alignment with a pair of pliers and it meant I could retire my scratchy Parker 51 and even scratchier Mont Blanc.

Regards, David
Hi David,
That looks like a Sheaffer 330 Imperial. See these links:

http://penhabit.com/2014/08/01/pen-r...-imperial-330/

http://www.penhero.com/PenGallery/Sh...InlaidNibs.htm

--
Monz

My Top 10

Flickr Gallery

Old 08-23-2015   #221
coelacanth
Ride, dive, shoot.

Here is something little different:

Franklin Christoph Model 40 Panther (not to be confused with the Pocket) with Tiger Red acrylic band on the cap. The nib is Mike Masuyama tuned Fine Italic. This is a single-piece early production of their new tweaked design.

Probably not everyone's cup of tea, but I am surprised how much I like writing with it.

b/w guy.

flickr | Instagram

Old 08-23-2015   #222
David Hughes
David Hughes

Quote:
Hi David,
That looks like a Sheaffer 330 Imperial. See these links:

http://penhabit.com/2014/08/01/pen-r...-imperial-330/

http://www.penhero.com/PenGallery/Sh...InlaidNibs.htm

--
Monz
Hi,

Many thanks, those links provided a fascinating read and a re-examination of the pen. I'll add that it's one of the nicest tools I've owned and I wish I'd got one a long time ago before I was wasting good money on scratchy ones.

Thanks again.

Regards, David

Old 08-23-2015   #223
JuJu

Will,

I will find time to do a pen and watercolor demo, as it's very easy and relaxing to do. I also have a few demos already posted on Youtube, welcome to take a look if you have a few minutes. Digital portrait, sketching a Pentax Spotmatic F, Rolleiflex and basic 2 point perspective.

Sug,

Your Franklin Christoph is gorgeous! I love its minimalist design and the fact that no one knows what it is. I started to wonder how many pens you haven't showed us?

Cheers,
Tung

Old 08-25-2015   #224
Monz
Monz

Pen Case 1
by Monz, on Flickr

Pen Case 2
by Monz, on Flickr

Kydex reinforced two piece leather pen case with integral pen rest... custom made.

My Top 10

Flickr Gallery

Old 08-25-2015   #225
paulfish4570

a canoe case. stunning ...

Old 08-25-2015   #226
paulfish4570

my bride is a very fine calligrapher and penman (penwoman?). she uses inexpensive pens, even fiber points and ball pens to do lovely work. she does have a couple of inexpensive japanese fountain pens (the name escapes me right now) that she uses every day at work (she is a high school guidance counselor; lots of notes). i would like to surprise her with a nicer pen, but have no idea of what to seek. by the way, she is left-handed, and somehow manages to do lovely work with standard pens. could y'all recommend a pen, say in the $50-$100 range, that uses cartridges? i don't think she wants to fill a classic pen from a bottle for a pen she carries in her purse.

Old 08-25-2015   #227
coelacanth
Ride, dive, shoot.

Very nice of you, Paul.

If she appreciates understated beauty of Japanese fountain pens, something like

• Pilot Custom 74
• Platinum 3776

or possibly

• Pilot Vanishing Point

would make a great daily writer/note taker. They all use cartridge (and can be used with converter if later she chooses to), and priced well within the range you mentioned. The trick is that you want to buy from Japanese (or other) source directly rather than going through the US distributors. You can by them even on Amazon (sold by 3rd party seller but fulfilled by Amazon thus same Amazon return policy) for non US distributor price.

She may like the first 2 I mentioned for the classic and classy look. For the ultimate quick note taking through out the day, I think the Vanishing Point is perfect as you can operate open/close by one hand. "Decimo" variant is skinner than the regular one and she may like that.

b/w guy.

flickr | Instagram

Old 08-25-2015   #228
coelacanth
Ride, dive, shoot.

Alternatively, since she does both daily note taking and more elaborate calligraphy, she may like something like Kaweco Dia 2 (or the Sport models that use "060" nib units) as you can get calligraphy nibs for very cheap and easily swap them out as the nib unit screws in and out with ease.

b/w guy.

flickr | Instagram

Old 08-25-2015   #229
paulfish4570

thank you much, Sug. just what i was looking for. the two japanese pens she has, she ordered from japan ...

Old 08-25-2015   #230
Peter Wijninga

Monz
Quote:
Is your Mont Blanc a Meisterstuck model with a piston filler?
Yes, a Meisterstuck 146 which was in storage for many years. I can't see myself doing the necessary repairs and so I'll take a deep breath and send it off to Montblanc in Germany. Best, Peter

Old 08-28-2015   #231
coelacanth
Ride, dive, shoot.

BTW, San Francisco International Pen Show is happening this weekend. I'm hitting there tomorrow.

http://www.sfpenshow.com/

b/w guy.

flickr | Instagram

Old 08-29-2015   #232
Monz
Monz

Jabberwocky by Nakaya
by Monz, on Flickr

My Top 10

Flickr Gallery

Old 09-01-2015   #233
konicaman
konicaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulfish4570 View Post
my bride is a very fine calligrapher and penman (penwoman?). she uses inexpensive pens, even fiber points and ball pens to do lovely work. she does have a couple of inexpensive japanese fountain pens (the name escapes me right now) that she uses every day at work (she is a high school guidance counselor; lots of notes). i would like to surprise her with a nicer pen, but have no idea of what to seek. by the way, she is left-handed, and somehow manages to do lovely work with standard pens. could y'all recommend a pen, say in the $50-$100 range, that uses cartridges? i don't think she wants to fill a classic pen from a bottle for a pen she carries in her purse.
I'll second the Platinum 3776 - wonderful, classic pen. Another option would be the Nemosine Singularity - a lot of colors to choose from and low maintenance (some pens have to be "nursed" on a regular basis to behave). Both have screw caps, which might be annoying if you have to uncap it a hundred times a day. Lamy Al-star or Safari are also very low maintenance - they have a more futuristic look though, and slip on cap...

Min danske webshop med notesbøger, fyldepenne og blæk

Old 09-01-2015   #234
paulfish4570

thank you, konicaman. i will look those up ...

Old 09-01-2015   #235
dave lackey

Quote:
Nice photo there, Monz, as usual!

A couple of questions, first, what camera are you using for your images? Well done!

The second is the pen case. Where in the world did you find that unique case?

Dave

Old 09-01-2015   #236
Monz
Monz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave lackey View Post
Nice photo there, Monz, as usual!

A couple of questions, first, what camera are you using for your images? Well done!

The second is the pen case. Where in the world did you find that unique case?
Thanks Dave. That photo was taken with a Canon 5d mk2 + 35mm f1.4L lens. Regarding the case, it was custom made for me by a chap called Michael in UK. The design is based on the Nakaya two piece leather case but is actually an improvement because the case is reinforced with Kydex under the leather. You can find Michael if you go to FPGeeks.com or Fountainpennetwork.com and look for MY63. Michael can do all sorts of custom pen cases... he is like the Luigi of pen cases :-)

My Top 10

Flickr Gallery

Old 09-01-2015   #237
dave lackey

Quote:
Thanks Dave. That photo was taken with a Canon 5d mk2 + 35mm f1.4L lens. Regarding the case, it was custom made for me by a chap called Michael in UK. The design is based on the Nakaya two piece leather case but is actually an improvement because the case is reinforced with Kydex under the leather. You can find Michael if you go to FPGeeks.com or Fountainpennetwork.com and look for MY63. Michael can do all sorts of custom pen cases... he is like the Luigi of pen cases :-)
Thank you, sir! That is very kind of you to give me the links!

I am completely smitten by the Nakaya pens. You guys are all a bad inflluence! It appears I am going to have to find a part-time job...One more pen to go to match my green M3 and then I must look for matching pens for my Nikons! Yikes!

Just kidding!

Dave

Old 09-02-2015   #238
blue4130

<sigh> I would also love to get a Nakaya but the funds just aren't there. I did just order two Ranga 4c's in Eye Dropper form... Maybe I can experiment with turning one into a urushi lacquer pen since getting real urushi lacquer in Beijing is rather simple. I'll post my results or lack thereof.

Old 09-03-2015   #239
dave lackey

Vance, I would like to see you get a Nakaya! Only in the past few days have I realized the depth of fountain pen art and I am developing a real appreciation for the art and the artisans. I may find myself or, lose myself, in this beautiful world of functional art as I strive to improve my handwriting at the same time.

Dave

Old 09-03-2015   #240
coelacanth
Ride, dive, shoot.

Pelikan M400 Brown Tortoise from 1990s. A recent score at SF Pen Show. Semi-modern construction with a classic touch, and this 14k nib got a full vintage level flex and just dreamy to write with. Currently in Canada with me for work.

b/w guy.

flickr | Instagram