Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex

TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex another alternative to the dreaded SLR way of seeing, this forum for all format TLR cameras

What is your best Red Window advance TLR ?
Old 12-19-2015   #1
f16sunshine

What is your best Red Window advance TLR ?

Looking for a very simple TLR.

Since selling a Rolleiflex I have been tinkering with a couple other TLR's I have around the house.

A Mamiya C330 that has a "crunchie" advance. It's condition and the Chrome 105mm f3.5 is perfect so,.. I will work it over.

There's a Yashicamat with a really cool Lumuxar lens. It also has a rough advance.... this one may be a goner.... a triage will tell.

Lastly a Yashica 'A' with a lovely Yashikor triplet lens and red window advance.
I like it. It's super lightweight and quiet. The images have a bit too much swirl at wide open but otherwise it's a nice humble performer.

The A has my attention. I use TLR's for portraits.... slow deliberate sessions.
The simplicity of red window advance and a simple lens shutter is really attractive.

Now if I can find one with a nice "tessar" or heliar scheme lens that would be great....????

Looking to try to aggregate all the "best" models in this thread.
Your experience, input, and picture are most welcome and appreciated.

Old 12-19-2015   #2
Pioneer

In my opinion the Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex cameras are excellent cameras with fine, Tessar 50/3.5 lenses.

Most of them are fairly inexpensive yet robust and reliable.

They have a red window start where the first film number is revealed in the red window on the bottom of the camera. At that point the film counter is reset and you forward the film until it stops. From then on the film advance is automatic. Not quite as classy as the Rolleiflex Automat but still pretty nice.

It is almost as good as a fast horse!
Dan

Old 12-19-2015   #3
CMur12

Hi Andy -

If I got it right, your Mamiya 105mm 3.5 chrome lens is a Tessar-type lens. Among the later "black" 105mm 3.5s, the simple 105mm 3.5 is a Tessar-type, while the 105mm 3.5 D and DS are Heliar-type lenses.

I think Mamiya did a brilliant job designing these true system TLRs and I can't imagine being without one. If I had to trim my TLRs down to the absolute minimum, I would have to have a Mamiya and a Minolta Autocord. I would let the Rolleis go and keep these.

- Murray

Old 12-19-2015   #4
p.giannakis
Pan Giannakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
In my opinion the Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex cameras are excellent cameras with fine, Tessar 50/3.5 lenses.
I agree with Pioneer's comment. I had an Ikoflex Ib for a few years and I liked it.

There are a number of interlocks and i found the film loading process a bit complicated. On the positives, you can unscrew the lenses with your hands and clean them in case there is fungus etc.. and you can clean the mirror easily.
As expected, picture quality was very good.

The Monochrome Archives
Instagram

Old 12-20-2015   #5
f16sunshine

Hi Murray

Yes it's the Tessar. I got it to rob the taking lens for a Peter Gowland Pocket view I had.
The Tessar actually covered 6x9. The Heliar did not quite cover.. Both are excellent for 6x6 but Mamiya cameras are too heavy and have imo awful shutter releases for handheld use.
I'll keep the Mamiya but would like to explore simpler options.

Old 12-20-2015   #6
CMur12

Andy, I usually use my TLRs on a tripod anyway, but for handheld use, I prefer the vertical, low-effort movement of the Mamiya shutter release to the front-mounted button on most TLRs. I find the former easier to fire without jostling the camera. (In fact, I also prefer the side-facing shutter button on the Rolleiflex T to the front-facing shutter releases on other Rolleiflexes.)

- Murray

Old 12-20-2015   #7
PrestonR

I agree, I like the shutter release on my C330. The lower shutter release isn't something I ever use but I love the vertical movement of the thumb grip on the side.

Old 12-20-2015   #8
CMur12

Andy, your Yashica-Mat has a Tessar-type lens. As I understand it, the Luxamar/Lumuxar = Yashinon. If the camera needs service, send it to Mark Hama. That might cost less than buying another camera that hasn't been recently serviced.

My favorite camera with a Tessar-type lens is the Minolta Autocord. I would let my Rolleis go before I would let go of the Minolta.

- Murray

Old 12-21-2015   #9
KoNickon
Nick Merritt

If you're asking about "true" red window advance TLRs, I got a Ricohflex -- the very simple one with the geared lenses and triplet lens, and was really stunned by how good it is. You should be able to get one for very little.

Old 12-21-2015   #10
Hatchetman

You have to respool onto 620 spools, but:

Look What Santa Brought! by Rob F, on Flickr

Old 12-21-2015   #11
CMur12

Andy, another TLR with a Tessar-type lens that you should be able to get for very little is a Ricohflex with the Rikenon lens. It had a knob wind, but no red window. The lens board is moved for focusing with a lever to each side. You can focus it with the left lever, the right lever, or both. (One rises as the other falls.)

I have one of these and it has the old shutter speeds (1/2, 1/5, 1/10, 1/25, 1/50 ... .) It belonged to my grandfather; otherwise, I would let it go. Someday I'll honor it with a CLA.

I really like Bay-1 TLRs.

Here is one on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ricoh-Ricohf...oAAOSwstxVEUbM

The one I'm thinking of is a little more advanced than the one proposed by KoNickon, so that gives you a couple of good options by Ricoh.

- Murray

Old 12-22-2015   #12
f16sunshine

I like Ricohs. Would try one. Just really was hoping to get all the great super simple models into one thread.
If anyone else wants to post about their favorite Red window TLR that would be great.

I've owned and worked on many TLR's.... mostly Yashicats and Rollies.
The simple advance of a red window is really attractive for the long run.
Little to go wrong = Long service.
Maybe I should just find a Yashica D with a Yashinon.
I like the A and stopped down it's fine. That triplet is squarely opened up.

Yashica A @ f3.5

Close
[email protected] 6.5mins004 by Adnan, on Flickr

Near infinity
[email protected] 6.5mins001 by Adnan, on Flickr

Yashica A @ F8 infinity
[email protected] 6.5mins003 by Adnan, on Flickr