Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Merry Clickmas to Me
Old 12-22-2015   #1
bmattock

Merry Clickmas to Me

OK, bad pun, sorry.

It just so happens that I'm in a pretty good mood, photographically speaking. A couple of very lucky things happened to me in the past couple days.

First, I was digging through my old stash of photographic junk, looking for fun things to pull out and clean up and play with (since getting re-bitten by the photographic bug recently) and I came upon a lens I had forgotten I had.

It's the old original Meyer Optik Gorlitz Trioplan f/2.8 100mm lens in M42 mount. I guess I bought it in a pile of stuff a long time ago and never messed around with it much. I actually preferred to use an Isco-Gottingen Isconar f4.5 100mm, also in M42 mount. Anyway, turns out the bloody thing (the Meyer) is a 'cult classic'. Who knew? I guess I really have been gone for awhile, these things were dirt cheap when I got mine. Now they're quite dear.

http://www.meyer-optik-goerlitz.com/...rter_trioplan/

Second bit of good news. I happened upon an auction on eBay from KEH for a Pentax *ist DL that was listed as non-functional due to it not working with any kind of AA batteries. I happen to know that my old *ist DS is very picky about what kind of batteries it likes as well. It won't take brand new Lithiums, but it is fine with a battery the manual warned me never to use, rechargeable CRV3s. So I took a chance with a super low bid and won. Camera arrived, long story short, it's working fine with the forbidden batteries (but not with anything else I can shove in it, nothing at all works, not Eneloops, nothing). I updated the firmware, and since it was set at the factory value, I checked shutter actuations; 3700. This camera is nearly new! Ten years old, yes. Outdated, yes. But nearly new, fully functional (with the 'wrong' batteries) and very cheap on top of it.

Shoved in the batteries, screwed on the lens, and took a couple shots in the back yard. Sorry, not great shots, but I was in my flip-flops in Michigan in December.

This camera is going to get a split-image viewscreeen from jinfinance and a O-ME53 focus magnifier from Pentax with my next paycheck. And it's going to be my M42 and PKA lens manual focus test-bed. Why not?

So Merry Clickmas, folks. Santa just made me a happy old man.

Sample Trioplan 2.8 100 by Wigwam Jones, on Flickr

Sample Trioplan 2.8 100 by Wigwam Jones, on Flickr

Old 12-22-2015   #2
KoNickon
Nick Merritt

My my -- lovely! I have that lens, in Exakta mount. I need to use mine more too!

Old 12-22-2015   #3
f16sunshine

I have a really Nice Trioplan 100mm in M42 also. Love the Glow on HP5

This one near infinity
[email protected] rodinal100 006 by Adnan, on Flickr

Old 12-22-2015   #4
lynnb

Congratulations on your find! Lovely photographs.
Flickr

Old 12-22-2015   #5
John Bragg

Bargain cult lenses are great. I need to make better use of my Komine 135mm f2.8. That lens is razor sharp.
19133F by John Bragg, on Flickr

Old 12-22-2015   #6
B-9
Devin Bro

Love the snaps bud!

Flip flops... I see it, Hello Indian Summer Michigan Style!

Thinking of kabobs for Christmas, perfect grilling weather.

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram