Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Old 08-16-2016   #81
xia_ke

I'm going to throw in a vote for Rolleicords. With Rolleiflexes getting the most TLR recognition and Yashicas seemingly getting the most mentions for an entry level TLR, the Rolleicord often gets lost in the shuffle.

"A good photograph is one that makes the viewer so aware of the subject that they are unaware of the print."- Kodak
"...if you find afterwards that you made a mistake, the price of the film and chemicals was...tuition!" - greybeard
"The hard part isn’t the decisive moment or anything like that – it’s getting the film on the reel!" - John Szarkowski

Old 08-16-2016   #82
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by xia_ke View Post
I'm going to throw in a vote for Rolleicords. With Rolleiflexes getting the most TLR recognition and Yashicas seemingly getting the most mentions for an entry level TLR, the Rolleicord often gets lost in the shuffle.
I think it is because the Rolleicord is no longer inexpensive...

Old 08-16-2016   #83
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavio81 View Post
I own the FT2 and of all my cameras it's the one with the darkest viewfinder. This i don't like. .
Interesting as I do not notice that in mine. Perhaps condition (or the type of focus screen that is in it) plays a part?

Old 08-16-2016   #84
xia_ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
I think it is because the Rolleicord is no longer inexpensive...
Maybe for the Va or Vb, but the earlier models can still be had for cheap. They can certainly be had for less than a comparable condition 124G.

"A good photograph is one that makes the viewer so aware of the subject that they are unaware of the print."- Kodak
"...if you find afterwards that you made a mistake, the price of the film and chemicals was...tuition!" - greybeard
"The hard part isn’t the decisive moment or anything like that – it’s getting the film on the reel!" - John Szarkowski

Old 08-16-2016   #85
Addy101

Quote:
Originally Posted by brennanphotoguy View Post
The Bronica system is laughable in terms of ease of repair and calling them reliable is quite the joke. That's what is so funny. But hey, I guess we've all had different experiences.
Still, I don't understand how this is funny. It felt to me you had a laugh at the expense of Scapevision.

Scapevision didn't talk about reliability nor did I - we just pointed to some flaws of the Hasselblads that the Bronicas don't have.

Old 08-16-2016   #86
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

I too like the little Konica C35. Mine always gave me nice results.
I particularly like the zone-focus model, sold here as C35v.

Beware though; many C35's on eBay seem to be non-functioning...

Chris

Old 08-16-2016   #87
zian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbhv55 View Post
+1 on this. I know that I'm repeating myself (from a thread on RFF some time ago) but I still reckon that a digital XA should be technically possible. Whether it would be *viable* is another question, of course.
It's only a matter of time; technology gets cheaper by the day and one day digital p&s will be full sensor. I think the Leica M-D is a step closer to that future.

Old 08-16-2016   #88
Huss

Cross post from the innovative list:

Nikonos V - Maybe the best street shooter there is.
Great 35mm lens, huge OVF, auto exposure (+ manual), insanely rugged and weather/waterproof.
Super quiet too, as the solid metal brick body muffles everything.

Old 08-16-2016   #89
madNbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post

Great 35mm lens, huge OVF, auto exposure (+ manual), insanely rugged and weather/waterproof.
Plus people are distracted when they see a bright orange camera!

Old 08-16-2016   #90
peterm1

Quote:

I agree. As a diver I used to own one but found I enjoyed using it on the surface of the land more. As a camera to throw into a backpack and take into the jungle it was superb except perhaps for its weight (which however is nothing compared to a D700 and a 24-70 f2.8 AF.) There are however a couple of qualifiers to this statement. You must be able to estimate distance and you must be content shooting with wider lenses as the sole longer one (an 80mm one if memory serves me correctly) is hard to focus given its depth of field restrictions. Never the less all in all a fine camera. By the way it's distinctive rubber clad body had an equally distinctive smell and every time I smell it I am transported to exotic places and times when I was young.

Me back then

http://www.tallshipstales.de/80s/imgs/Peter-Maynard.jpg

Old 08-16-2016   #91
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by madNbad View Post
Mine is dark green and black (I also have an orange one!)

Old 08-16-2016   #92
tbhv55

Quote:
Originally Posted by zian View Post
It's only a matter of time; technology gets cheaper by the day and one day digital p&s will be full sensor. I think the Leica M-D is a step closer to that future.
I hope you're right. I'll wait (not very) patiently...

Old 08-16-2016   #93
Orbiter

Kodak Signet 35. A bit fussy to use, no parallax correction, squinty eyepiece, rather slow top shutter speed, but for some reason always fun to shoot. Maybe it's the funky controls (designed for use with gloves?), or the stream-lined styling, or the fact that it seems simple and nearly indestructible. The Ektar lens is pretty darn good, resulting images have a bit of character to them (in a good way), and when looking through pictures those made with this camera stack up well against the competition. It's also one of the few EBay cameras that I have that worked right out of the shipping box (possibly part of the reason I am so fond of it). Pretty nice camera in the $50 or under price range.

Old 08-16-2016   #94
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by madNbad View Post
Is that speculation, or do you speak from experience?
If so I'd be surprised. No one bats an eye when I use mine.

Chris

Old 08-17-2016   #95
ajramirez

Quote:
Nikkormats have been mentioned several times now on this thread, and they get the vote from me too.
I picked up a perfect FT-2 for under $20.
In it's day it was a pro camera, the only difference compared to my Nikon Fs was not in build but in accessories.
I had two, kept the black one, gave the chrome one (with a lens) to my nephew to replace his just died Canon A1. He loves it.
I very recently picked up a FT-3. Not as cheap as your $20 FT-2, but in absolutely mint condition, and IMO, a bargain at $78. Wonderful camera.

Old 01-18-2017   #96
MIkhail

Minolta X-700

Old 01-18-2017   #97
David Hughes
David Hughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkhail View Post
Minolta X-700
Hi,

Dozens on ebay in GB but you have to search hard for one with a lens on it... (I blame digital.)

Regards, David

Old 01-18-2017   #98
Robert Lai

Canon FT-b. I gone mine for $75, and it seemed to have a recent CLA also. Works great and reliably. Put fantastic glass such as the 50mm 1.2L, or the 85mm 1.2L on it, and it is on par with anything.

Old 01-18-2017   #99
benlees

Another Bronica SQ fan here. Had mine for years; no problems. Lenses are excellent. You want to spend 3 or 4x times the amount for a Hasselblad go right ahead. Of course, low prices with a non-hip image means they are hard to sell...

Old 01-18-2017   #100
defconfunk
n00b

Canon AT-1: Same body as the AE-1, just without the auto-aperture mode, and a cheaper light meter. Still an excellent camera. Nobody seems to know they exist (and are priced accordingly).

Nikon F90x: I'm enjoying mine. I paid $60Cnd. I've since seen a couple go for under $100Cnd with lens. The F80 seems to be worth twice as much around here. Even the F55/60/65 seems to sell for more. For the life of me, I can't imagine any reason I'd rather have a F65 over an F90x.

Olympus OM-40: Again, I love mine. The most comfortable SLR I've ever held. I think I paid $40Cnd for mine. People are selling OM-10s for two to three times that around here. I've owned two OM-10s and they aren't half as nice.

The most underappreciated and cheap camera right now? Any APS-C DSLR for the mid 2000s. Locally I've seen D100, D70s, D60, 30D, 40D, E-500, K110D, all going sub $200Cnd with lens (the K110D was $50Cnd with two lenses in perfect condition). All of those cameras can produce nice prints up to the sizes most people print at (lets say 8x10) so long as you keep the ISOs to what most people shoot film at.
I keep being tempted to do a "Top Gear" challenge with a buddy and see just what we can do with $150 on kijiji. I keep hoping to see a D300 or S5Pro show up in "my weekly throw away money" prices, but we might be a few more years away from that.

Old 01-18-2017   #101
MIkhail

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hughes View Post
Hi,

Dozens on ebay in GB but you have to search hard for one with a lens on it... (I blame digital.)

Regards, David
Why not get a cosmetically good copy of just camera, do the CLA for about $50 (I do it here http://www.garryscamera.com) and then you pick the lenses you like separately, rather than having somebody else selling you the camera paired with lowest lens (not that 50/1.8 is a bad lens, actually)...

I was selling here once a whole set (fully CLA'd camera, set of like 4 lenses, and not some Vivitar zoom but real good Monolta primes) for $200... nobody was interested so I kept them. I am glad I did.

Old 01-18-2017   #102
David Hughes
David Hughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkhail View Post
Why not get a cosmetically good copy of just camera, do the CLA for about $50 (I do it here http://www.garryscamera.com) and then you pick the lenses you like separately, rather than having somebody else selling you the camera paired with lowest lens (not that 50/1.8 is a bad lens, actually)...

I was selling here once a whole set (fully CLA'd camera, set of like 4 lenses, and not some Vivitar zoom but real good Monolta primes) for $200... nobody was interested so I kept them. I am glad I did.
I don't need one, it was just a rant about all those sellers who only wanted the lens. They are very obvious at the moment, it seems.

Regards, David

Old 01-18-2017   #103
aizan

all russian cameras except the exakta 66 (1939 and modern versions).

Old 01-18-2017   #104
johnf04

The 1939 Exakta 66 was German.

Old 01-18-2017   #105
nukecoke
⚛Yashica

Olympus OM-2000 (vs. other non-battery dependent Olympus OMs)

Yashica Electro 35 MC (vs. other compact zone focus such as Olympus XA2 and on.)

Zorki-1 (vs. other Barnack type RFs)

flickr(abandoned)

About Film Cameras

Old 01-18-2017   #106
Archlich

I just learnt last week that the Kowa Six system has a 19/4.5 Fisheye and a 35/4.5 lens...and that's on 6x6.

Definitely ambitious, and what I already know is Kowa Six kits are excellently built and very reasonably priced.

Old 01-18-2017   #107
Schlapp

But kowa six's are a tad fragile. Mine was anyway

Old 01-18-2017   #108
Scapevision

Bronica SQ series, japanese hasslebald.

Old 01-18-2017   #109
KoNickon
Nick Merritt

There are a number of rather expensive, big name cameras on this list! But I don't think anyone has mentioned my suggestions:

Konica T3 -- this is the last of the "heavy metal" Konica SLRs. Copal shutter, solid shutter-preferred metering; nice ergonomics. Pop in a couple of 675 hearing aid batteries and you're all set. I prefer the T3 over the T3N, which has a slightly different prism shape to accommodate a permanently mounted hotshoe and thus isn't as pretty. The Hexanon lenses are first-rate. I find the 40/1.8 a real sleeper, though from a slightly later vintage (it was made at the time of the smaller, and more plasticky, T4 and TC.)

Zeiss Ikon cameras with Novar lenses -- the Novar was ZI's cut-rate 3-element lens; not sure who made them but I've seen Rodenstock credited for their manufacture. I've gotten some really fine pictures with Novars, whether on Ikoflex TLRs (the Ia is a sleeper itself) and on their folding cameras, like the Ikontas and Nettars, which are superbly made, sturdy folding cameras.

Old 01-18-2017   #110
FrankS

Nikon FG and 801s/8008s, but shhh!

photography makes me happy

Old 01-18-2017   #111
CliveC

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankS View Post
Nikon FG and 801s/8008s, but shhh!
Love the FG. It deserves more love than the Canon AE-1.

My pick would be the Ricoh GXR. Yes it's digital, but where else are you getting APS-C sensors, Leica M-mount compatibility for under $500? Quirky design to be sure, but the GXR sensors render B&W quite well and its focus peaking was ahead of the game (still better than my X-Pro1).

For film, the Canon T60 is a sleeper. Last of the FDs, simple, no fuss, and light as a feather. Great camera from Cosina. Downside is potential balance issues when using heavier lenses. The T90 is also cheaper than what it deserves for being such a tank.

Leica M5
Old 01-18-2017   #112
asiafish

Leica M5

There remains a stigma attached to what I believe is the best rangefinder camera ever made by anyone.

Old 01-18-2017   #113
aizan

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnf04 View Post
The 1939 Exakta 66 was German.
i am forgetting things left and right. you're right, the old exakta 66 was german, as was the later one with rubber cladding. it was the pentacons and kievs in between that were russian.

Old 01-18-2017   #114
Tijmendal
Young photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by krötenblender View Post
I'd add a Olympus XA. I had that camera four times, bought, sold, bought, sold.... I never paid more that about 30€, which is a steal for such a great camera.
That reminds me to buy a new one. I have bought a ton of them, but only because I break them like it's going out of style. Never paid more than 20€, but they seem to be going for 40-50€.

Same for the Mju-II, the prices have skyrocketed. They're going for around 100€ now, whereas two years ago they were maybe 30€? I've only had two, but the electronics were messed up within a month of using it on one (and the other my friend knocked over into the water).

Old 01-19-2017   #115
Dralowid
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hughes View Post
I don't need one, it was just a rant about all those sellers who only wanted the lens. They are very obvious at the moment, it seems.

Regards, David
If you collected cine cameras (as I do) the rant would be very loud and blue. Every time I see something rare stripped of its lenses, or vice versa, I groan.

Excellent underpriced camera? Konica Pop and you can choose your colour!

Old 01-19-2017   #116
Skiff

There are currently lots of outstanding, sophisticated cameras on the used market, which are totally under priced and real bargains (excellent price-performance ratio):

1. Nikon:
F801s
F90X
F80
F100
F5

2. Canon:
EOS 1N
EOS 50e
EOS 30V
EOS 33V
EOS 3
EOS 1V

Minolta:
Dynax 600
Dynax 700
Dynax 800
Dynax 7
Dynax 9

Leica:
R3
R4
R5
R7

Rollei:

It is currently still a market for buyers. Now is the time to make a decision for a brand / system, and then build up a complete set of the chosen equipment. These extremely low prices will not last forever.
The film revival will get stronger in the future, and demand and prices for the above cameras will rise (we have already seen that with lots of Hasselblad, Contax, Mamiya, Linhof, Rolleiflex and Fuji models).

Old 01-19-2017   #117
dotur
od karnevala

Voigtländer Vito B

The best analogue compact camera ever.

dotur's photo albums

Old 01-19-2017   #118
MIkhail

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotur View Post
Voigtländer Vito B

The best analogue compact camera ever.

Why?
Just curious-what is special about this one?

Old 01-19-2017   #119
johnnyrod
More cameras than shots

KoNickon is right, the Novar is pretty well up there with a Tessar, and they go for a lot less money.

Old 01-19-2017   #120
dotur
od karnevala

Why, MIkhail?
Excellent 50 mm rigid lens, beautiful body and built like a tank, better chrome plating than any Leica. Small body (not too heavy, not too thin). Easily loadable. Only essential features - durable and extremely reliable. And unbelievably underpriced

http://mattsclassiccameras.com/range...lander-vito-b/

http://www.marriottworld.com/vito_cameras/vitob.htm

dotur's photo albums