Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

Who shoots everyday with a Nikon F?
Old 01-22-2017   #1
kshapero
Press the Shutter

Wink Who shoots everyday with a Nikon F?

I bought my F used in 1974 with 50/1.4 lens. Had it CLA'd and reskinned (Black Griptec) about 10 years ago. Looking good. Thinking of doing a one camera, one lens project for about a month shooting TriX. Anybody else out there with an F that doesn't just sit on the shelf?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 01-22-2017   #2
marcr1230

I've got a F, it sits on the floor of my closet, not the shelf
I don't use it exclusively but I accept the challenge for the next 2-3 rolls

Old 01-22-2017   #3
Flat Twin
Film Shooter

I used mine this morning, loaded with HP5...

Old 01-22-2017   #4
Mackinaw
Think Different

I used to love shooting with my F until I got an F2 this past summer. Now the F sits in a box in my closet.

Jim B.

My RFF Gallery:
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...user=1453&sl=m

Old 01-22-2017   #5
pschauss

I have had film in my F (Photomic FN) almost continuously since I got it last October. Out of all of the SLRs that I have this camera is the easiest to focus and metering is as reliable and consistent as my newer cameras. I plan to take it with me on an upcoming trip to Portugal and Finland.

Old 01-22-2017   #6
ChrisLivsey

Not every day, too much competition on the shelf, they have to take turns, but was in use last week:

Loaded with ORWO N74 in a Nikon cassette to boot.
An early example 6417279 with a none AI 35mm f2.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/red_eyes_man/

Old 01-22-2017   #7
rbsinto

Location: Thornhill, Ontario, Canada Thornhill is a suburb of Toronto
I've had my motorized black beater F with the meter less prism for about 15 years, and it is my "reach" camera (paired with my Nikkor 180 2.8) when I schlepp my rangefinder kit.
Clunky, and a pain in the ass to load and unload, but, one of my favorite bodies, and some of my best stuff was and continues to be taken with this kit.
I didn't post a picture of it because it looks pretty much like every other brassy black f with motor and meter less prism that has been posted here.

Old 01-22-2017   #8
bsdunek
Old Guy with a Corgi

Got my first F with FTN head in 1969 - been using it ever since. Have several more F's so I can have them loaded with different films. While I have other cameras I love, I would never give up my F's.

My Gallery
Bruce
Don't take my Kodachrome away!
OOOPS! Kodak did!!!

Old 01-22-2017   #9
kshapero
Press the Shutter

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
I used to love shooting with my F until I got an F2 this past summer. Now the F sits in a box in my closet.

Jim B.
Tell us why?

Old 01-22-2017   #10
kshapero
Press the Shutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLivsey View Post
Not every day, too much competition on the shelf, they have to take turns, but was in use last week:

Loaded with ORWO N74 in a Nikon cassette to boot.
An early example 6417279 with a none AI 35mm f2.
Very nice indeed.

Old 01-22-2017   #11
kshapero
Press the Shutter

Old 01-22-2017   #12
kshapero
Press the Shutter

Thumbs up

Also I hade a shutter release mod none on my F so it shoot in 2 stage or 1. Here is the story:
A Rangefinered F? My friend, Pete Smith,RIP, turned my shutter button into a two step process. First step takes the shot, then the second punch on the shutter button slaps the mirror. This allows me to, 1. Make my shot almost totally silent and 2. there is virtually no vibration, allowing me to shot at 1/15 or even 1/8 of a second without shake. After that I just press the shutter button again to allow me to advance the shot. Voila it really works very nicely. Of course I can always just shot the old fashion way by pressing the shutter button a little harder for the full deal. Cool?

Old 01-22-2017   #13
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

In college in the early 1980's I used my Nikon FTn daily. Alas it was later stolen.
A few years ago I finally replaced it but chose an F2 as it uses an available battery.

At Pentax Forums we have a member who says he owns 13 Nikon F cameras.

Chris

Old 01-22-2017   #14
kshapero
Press the Shutter

Pete Smith had over 300 F's. I saw them before he passed away.

Old 01-22-2017   #15
Fraser

I have 4 or 5 Fs and think they are great they all get used not everyday, but I must say since getting a couple of plain prism F2s if I had too choose I would go F2, they just feel a lot more solid and more modern. I would never get rid of any of my Fs though!

Old 01-22-2017   #16
dufffader
Leicanaut/Nikonaut...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
I have 4 or 5 Fs and think they are great they all get used not everyday, but I must say since getting a couple of plain prism F2s if I had too choose I would go F2, they just feel a lot more solid and more modern. I would never get rid of any of my Fs though!
5 sounds like the ideal number of Fs.

Used to have that many but I thinned it down to 3. I shoot my plain finder chrome F and a black KE-48C regularly. The third one is a shelf queen, got this scratch free black F 64xxxxx with plain prism on RFF classifieds many years ago and it was too pretty to use, and the shutter timing is probably very much off anyway.

Always intrigued by the F2. The only thing keeping me away from it is that it doesn't work with the original Nikon film canisters which I share with my F and S2.

Old 01-23-2017   #17
rbsinto

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshapero View Post
Also I hade a shutter release mod none on my F so it shoot in 2 stage or 1. Here is the story:
A Rangefinered F? My friend, Pete Smith,RIP, turned my shutter button into a two step process. First step takes the shot, then the second punch on the shutter button slaps the mirror. This allows me to, 1. Make my shot almost totally silent and 2. there is virtually no vibration, allowing me to shot at 1/15 or even 1/8 of a second without shake. After that I just press the shutter button again to allow me to advance the shot. Voila it really works very nicely. Of course I can always just shot the old fashion way by pressing the shutter button a little harder for the full deal. Cool?
Sounds to me like the solution to a non-existent problem.
Robert

Old 01-23-2017   #18
nikon_sam
Shooter of Film...

I have one, it's loaded and ready to go...I just gotta get it out more...
It sits on a desk...there's no more room on the shelf...

pf

Old 01-23-2017   #19
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Quote:
You've mentioned this before once or twice as I recall. Perhaps I'm being unusually dense but, apart from quietness, I can't see the benefit. Pre-firing a mirror can in some situations help sharpness by minimising vibration. But if the mirror still lifts immediately before the shutter opens, how can keeping it raised afterwards, make any difference whatsoever to sharpness? It can't. The exposure has already happened. Anything that occurs, for any reason, after the second curtain has capped the exposure will have zero effect on image quality. What am I missing here?
Cheers
Brett

Old 01-23-2017   #20
farlymac
PF McFarland

I've got an F that does the mirror lift separate from the shutter release. Drove me nuts. But it's also the black body that someone cludged a chrome F36 and a chrome FTN finder to. Problem is, it won't fully open the aperture, so I mounted all my non working F stuff to it (dead black FTN finder, 2.8/135 that had sand inside it along with not achieving Infinity focus), and replaced the chrome F36 with a black standard back. Looks nice, but I'll never put any film through it.

I've got a chrome F, and a black FTN, but with an S2, a couple of F2S's, and an F3 around (not to mention almost every version of the Nikkormat), they all have to take their turn in the rotation. But I like shooting the F the best.

PF

Old 01-23-2017   #21
kshapero
Press the Shutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcophilus Harrisii View Post
You've mentioned this before once or twice as I recall. Perhaps I'm being unusually dense but, apart from quietness, I can't see the benefit. Pre-firing a mirror can in some situations help sharpness by minimising vibration. But if the mirror still lifts immediately before the shutter opens, how can keeping it raised afterwards, make any difference whatsoever to sharpness? It can't. The exposure has already happened. Anything that occurs, for any reason, after the second curtain has capped the exposure will have zero effect on image quality. What am I missing here?
Cheers
Brett
Key benefit is being able to shoot quietly and at slower speeds. Of course I often just press hard and it acts just like a normal F SLR.

Old 01-23-2017   #22
Huss

I use mine as a doorstop in my bathroom.

Old 01-23-2017   #23
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Quote:
Key benefit is being able to shoot quietly and at slower speeds. Of course I often just press hard and it acts just like a normal F SLR.
OK. I get the noise aspect of it. But, again, if the mirror must, first, retract prior to the first curtain commencing the exposure, surely, whether it stays up once the second curtain has capped the exposure or not won't have any impact on whatever speed you can hand hold, will it? Whether the mirror descends as normal, or not, after the curtain has closed, how can it matter, if the exposure has already ended? I must be missing something, because I don't get it. Does the mirror mechanism begin to actuate, normally, just before the second curtain ends its run?
Cheers,
Brett

Old 01-23-2017   #24
Fraser

One of mine does the mirror lift with first press, I'm never convinced its been modified rather its just a bit sticky!
I would be nice to try an F that had never been used and had an age related service as all mine look and feel like the have been very well used!

Old 01-24-2017   #25
rbsinto

Quote:
I've taken photos in churches, synagogues, on the streets, and in special settings where noise control was a factor, with regular, garden variety Fs, F2s, F3s, FMs, FEs, FE2s, FM2s, FAs, FGs and never missed any shots because the cameras were too noisy.
And for those rare occasions where r-e-a-l-l-y slow shutter speeds were necessary, I dug out and used my T-r-i-p-o-d.
As I said, a solution to a non-existent problem.
Robert

Old 01-24-2017   #26
Timmyjoe

Was using these two exclusively for all my film work for six months, until my S2 arrived.

Having a hard time putting down the S2, but the infatuation will eventually wear off and I'll go back to the F's. As much as I'd like to think otherwise, I really am an SLR shooter at heart.

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 01-24-2017   #27
agoglanian
Reconnected.

I use my plain prism F from time to time, I've got the 2.8cm f/3.5 and 50 f/2 pre-ai lenses for it. It's a little rough to use but it just keeps on working. Super tough camera.

M-A | M10 | 500CM | P67II

Instagram. | Website.

Old 01-25-2017   #28
GarageBoy

Any one repair the meters on the F? I'd love to get that working

Old 01-25-2017   #29
KoNickon
Nick Merritt

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageBoy View Post
Who is the "go to" F guy now that Pete is gone?

Old 01-25-2017   #30
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNickon View Post
Who is the "go to" F guy now that Pete is gone?
Sover Wong

Old 01-25-2017   #31
Flat Twin
Film Shooter

Sover Wong indeed.

He did a great job with my Apollo...

Old 01-25-2017   #32
Flat Twin
Film Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageBoy View Post
Ask Sover...

Old 01-25-2017   #33
KoNickon
Nick Merritt

Anyone in the U.S.? I know he's great, but avoiding international shipping would be nice.

Old 01-25-2017   #34
Flat Twin
Film Shooter

Sorry, being based in the U.K. I can only recommend Sover. International shipping is no big deal, just send it to him...

Old 01-25-2017   #35
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNickon View Post
Anyone in the U.S.? I know he's great, but avoiding international shipping would be nice.
I've shipped to him from Los Angeles, because he is the best , reasonable and quick.
My local camera repair place takes longer than me shipping to Sover! And they are more expensive.

Old 01-25-2017   #36
Daryl J.

I haven't a Nikon F.
I would love a black Nikon F.
This past Friday, I found a restored one hiding behind several other beaten up F's.
It was in a locked cabinet.
It called to me and asked to live at my place.
But I hadn't the key to the cabinet.
That key is cash.
It stayed there.
I haven't a Nikon F.

Old 01-25-2017   #37
Robert Lai

Sover is the man to repair Nikon F and F2. I've sent my F and two F2 cameras to him, as well as several finders.

First of all, Nikon SLRs have an indecent amount of foam seals inside, which will be decayed by now. Not only decayed, but often growing a mushroom farm of fungus. There is also foam around the pentaprism under the housing, which WILL REMOVE the silvering with time, as the foam decays and pulls away.

Sover is the ONLY repairman who will meticulously disassemble everything, remove and replace all the foam seals (except the ones over the pentaprism). I had my cameras worked on by "Nikon service experts" (not Pete Smith) here in the US, and when Sover opened them up, its as if nothing had been done.
Sover will not only clean everything and relube, he will send you photographs to document what he is doing. He will also adjust ALL shutter speeds to within 1/4 f/stop of the specified speed, and he will send you an EXCEL file with those speeds as tested. He also has custom made replacement parts, such as CdS cells for meters, ceramic resistors to replace the worn out carbon track resistors on a lot of meter heads. He overhauled a mint but non-functioning MD-3 for me by replacing the always cracked nylon gear with a brass replacement which he had custom made for him.

If you want your gear to survive another 50 years in fine working condition, you need to send it to Sover. Anyone in the USA will not do the same quality job, and you will be wasting your money.

BTW I do have Pete Smith's Nikkor Q 135mm f/3.5 (now AI'd). It too looks new.

Old 02-16-2017   #38
steveyork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Lai View Post
BTW I do have Pete Smith's Nikkor Q 135mm f/3.5 (now AI'd). It too looks new.
Pete Smith was a real decent guy. I once brought a Leica R lens into his shop because something was loose on it. He took it into the back and in a few minutes came back with it fixed. When I asked how much, he replied -- "I don't charge anything for something so easy to fix."

In chatting with him he said everything in the shop was for sale except -- he disappeared into the back again -- and came back with two Nikon Fs, one black and one silver. Said these were the cameras he used when he worked for the newspapers.

Within a year or so he closed up his shop. My understanding was that he closed the shop because of illness.

Old 02-16-2017   #39
Ronald M

I bought an F2 just to get the plain prism for use on my existing F2 metered head.

These are wonderful cameras. Wish I never owned Pentax Spotomatics in the 60`s.
Live and learn.

Old 02-16-2017   #40
presspass
filmshooter

Right now there are two chrome Fs in the car with four pre-Ai lenses. Both Fs are plain prism, one with the early rectangular finder window and the other with the round window. A decent meter, two loaded cameras, and four extra rolls of HP5+ gives me everything I need.