Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Foca Cameras

Foca Cameras Incredibly different French rangefinders. Why do anything like those pesky Germans, when the French can do it BETTER??

Foca PF2
Old 12-23-2017   #1
Muggins

Foca PF2

I think I've just picked up a Foca PF2 - see http://www.collection-appareils.fr/x...camera-12.html. I'll add a picture when my digital camera emerges from under the Christmas preparations!

In my innocence I thought that it was a Leica clone, but it isn't, and the lens appears to be Foca-only mount which is a nuisance as I was hoping to use it on my FrankenLeica.

However it's unusual - Sylvain Hagland suggests, if I have my ID right, that only about 5000 were made - and I'd like to try to restore it to function. It's definitely in need of TLC - the lens is hazier than the walk home from the pub, the rangefinder patch isn't much better, and the shutter curtains do not run smoothly or close properly at any speed.

Can anyone suggest repair options? These things do not crop up often on RFF - last post some four years ago!

Many thanks,

Adrian

If http://www.flickr.com/photos/gray1720/ are the ones I let people see, what on earth are the rest like?

Old 12-23-2017   #2
02Pilot
Malcontent

I'd imagine servicing is going to be an exercise in experimentation, but it's a focal plane shutter, and those are fairly straightforward regardless of who made them. Get inside, take lots of pictures of how things are arranged, clean, and reassemble. Same goes for the VF/RF and the lens, though these will in all likelihood be simpler. Be very careful with the mirror, as the silvering is probably quite fragile (adapting a Leica mirror might be something to look into).

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Old 12-23-2017   #3
siracusa

I had a Foca, until it got stolen. While it's no M3, I absolutely adored that camera in spite of its "quirkiness", and I wish I still had it. If you're UK based, you could try Newton Ellis for repair. I'm sure they'd be able to overhaul and service it (subject to waiting lists), and that they'd do a very good job of it.

Old 12-23-2017   #4
Muggins

Thank you, both. Here's some photos:

Foca PF2? by gray1720, on Flickr

As you can see it's a bit battered, but all there. The shutter capping can be seen in the photo of the back, but it hhas improved with exercise so I'm hoping it might be a simple fix. I'm going to attempt to join the Foca forum - if my non-existent French can handle it!

Adrian

If http://www.flickr.com/photos/gray1720/ are the ones I let people see, what on earth are the rest like?