Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Domestic Symphony
Old 11-19-2017   #1
Shab

Domestic Symphony

It's a long time I think I must be braver. Why do I think it? Because it is easy to shot a person you don't know and then share this shot in the web. I think a lot about it.

In the past months/years my most personal photographs are from my family. Maybe they aren't spectacular and I don't find it, but they are like a personal "poems", in a soft voice, from the silence of my soul.

I will try to share some of this photographs with you... Ii must admit I'm not really sure if I'm doing well sharing this pictures in the web...

OK, I will begin:

"Looking for lice"

Old 11-19-2017   #2
pyeh

Shab, I think this is a wonderful photograph. It's very personal, even private, and shows many signs of the domesticity you find in many homes - young boys and their hobbies, a double bunk bed, mum in house clothes. Certainly lice looking, or should I say nit picking, is many parents' lot when their children are young.
Thank you for sharing this picture.

Old 11-19-2017   #3
Richard G

Very beautiful thought and photograph.

Old 11-19-2017   #4
davidnewtonguitars
Family Snaps

I think I agree with you. I found my box of negatives from 1970 and pictures of my brothers & sister. Almost 50 years and I still wasn't sure I should share my family pictures, but I was encouraged by my family.

Old 11-19-2017   #5
charjohncarter

I don't know if I'm braver, but I have been showing some of my old picture of family. Most of the subjects are gone now so maybe that is why I'm braver.

In my memory, you are the second person from Basque Country at RFF. The other fellow pass away, and I can't remember his name but it was something like Xipicu.

Old 11-20-2017   #6
willie_901

Shab,

In my view, the issue of sharing our work on the internet depends on the purpose of our photography. Some people only make photographs for themselves and people they know. Others make them hoping as many people as possible can view them.

An obvious exception is when the subject/subjects request that we don't publish them on the internet.

I am glad you shared this photograph. It reminds me how simple, routine aspects of family life are actually something much more – displays of love.
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 11-20-2017   #7
petronius

Quote:
Originally Posted by charjohncarter View Post
In my memory, you are the second person from Basque Country at RFF. The other fellow pass away, and I can't remember his name but it was something like Xipicu.
His name was Pitxu and his self portraits are (were) quite spectacular!

My Rollei 35 tumblr

Old 11-20-2017   #8
rhl-oregon
Cameras Guitars Wonders

Shab, glad to see this image and hear about this contemplation of what to do about it. Clearly your heart and mind are in this with your eye (and your gear). Nothing doubtful about that. One of Eugene Smith's most memorable images is of his young children finding an opening in a hedge. So share your best.

Your friends here will want to see more, not just from curiosity about your family but because you make good pictures. About surfing, about your coast, about fishermen. Anyone unfamiliar with your work or without a family or children may learn something about family love and adventures, as well as pictorial composing and the moment.

I'd like to see your work more regularly in the gallery, for one, but I'm as happy you're starting this thread as your other comrades of the eye and mind and heart who have responded already.

http://rhl.photography

Old 11-20-2017   #9
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Very strong and intimate image in OP and great #4. My respect for sharing it here!

Old 11-20-2017   #10
Shab

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyeh View Post
Shab, I think this is a wonderful photograph. It's very personal, even private, and shows many signs of the domesticity you find in many homes - young boys and their hobbies, a double bunk bed, mum in house clothes. Certainly lice looking, or should I say nit picking, is many parents' lot when their children are young.
Thank you for sharing this picture.
pyeh, thank you very mcuh for your words, really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard G View Post
Very beautiful thought and photograph.
Thak you also Richar G!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidnewtonguitars View Post
I think I agree with you. I found my box of negatives from 1970 and pictures of my brothers & sister. Almost 50 years and I still wasn't sure I should share my family pictures, but I was encouraged by my family.

Yes, I think it is great to share this kind of photographs... I love this picture! Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charjohncarter View Post
I don't know if I'm braver, but I have been showing some of my old picture of family. Most of the subjects are gone now so maybe that is why I'm braver.

charjohncarter, I don't know Xipicu... sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie_901 View Post
Shab,

In my view, the issue of sharing our work on the internet depends on the purpose of our photography. Some people only make photographs for themselves and people they know. Others make them hoping as many people as possible can view them.

An obvious exception is when the subject/subjects request that we don't publish them on the internet.

I am glad you shared this photograph. It reminds me how simple, routine aspects of family life are actually something much more – displays of love.
willie_901, yes it depends on why we want to share our photographs. In my case, when I'm making a photograph to my family, sometimes, there is a very special moment, when I feel this "picture" is more than a portrait, or a photograph to remenber something about my family, it is like this picture goes farther... and I could share it with "you". I make a lot of photograph about my family and I think a lot of them are beautiful pictures, but some of them are special, maybe not so beautiful, but special. And I want to share this kind of photographs with you. Thank you very much for your words...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhl-oregon View Post
Shab, glad to see this image and hear about this contemplation of what to do about it. Clearly your heart and mind are in this with your eye (and your gear). Nothing doubtful about that. One of Eugene Smith's most memorable images is of his young children finding an opening in a hedge. So share your best.

Your friends here will want to see more, not just from curiosity about your family but because you make good pictures. About surfing, about your coast, about fishermen. Anyone unfamiliar with your work or without a family or children may learn something about family love and adventures, as well as pictorial composing and the moment.

I'd like to see your work more regularly in the gallery, for one, but I'm as happy you're starting this thread as your other comrades of the eye and mind and heart who have responded already.
rhl-oregon: I think I don't have any words to say: thank you very much! Really. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
Very strong and intimate image in OP and great #4. My respect for sharing it here!
Thank you also Ko.Fe.

Today I have selected a portrait I made on summer. He is my youngest son. We were waiting to our son and daughter, because they were enjoying with canoe and the youngest son couldn't do canoeing. He was a bit bored and jealous. Then he took its toy and began to "fly" with his imagination. I saw the "picture" in my mind, so I took my camera and waited to the "moment".

Here you have the picture:

Have a nice night!

Old 11-22-2017   #11
Shab

Enjoying in a Coffe shop

We were taking some coffe and chocolates in a shop and our son sat down in a table near the window. He was so HAPPY... that I took my camera and I went to outside of the shop. My wife began to play with him... it was one of those little/special moments that I enjoy so much... I framed the scene, focus and... click!

Old 11-22-2017   #12
robert blu
quiet photographer

Shab, your pictures are not only nice or beautiful but as you said are special.
I can feel the “special moment” you and your loved are experiencing.
robert

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 11-22-2017   #13
daveleo
what?

Very nice pictures and words.
It shows very clearly that you have your heart in your pictures.

Old 11-23-2017   #14
Shab

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert blu View Post
Shab, your pictures are not only nice or beautiful but as you said are special.
I can feel the “special moment” you and your loved are experiencing.
robert
Thank you robert. I must say one thing really important: one year and half ago, we had really hard times in our family. My wife was very sad, without any force, she was in a deep hole. It was ten years that she left her job to be with our children, ten years each day thinking on our children's needs, all the time... motherhood can be HARD, very hard.

We were together all the time, those times were... how can I say it: absolutely dark for us. But we tried and worked together...

There was a moment when everythind seemed dark, I thought:" I need to photograph the LIGHT, our light, our little moments. It was a way to smile and say: there is the light, we can shine, we can beleive in a better situation..."

I think it was the beggining, real beggining of very important things in our life. Then, when I saw some photographs I thought I had some special photos... for us.

So, what I'm sharing with you are some of those "light's moments".

Thanks again robert. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveleo View Post
Very nice pictures and words.
It shows very clearly that you have your heart in your pictures.
Thank you also daveleo and it is what I try: to have my heart with my family and tru to share it through my photographs... Sincerely I think it is too high claim... yes, but I think the most important thing is to try it. :-)

Today I´ve choosen a photo of 2014, before the dark times, or better said, in the begging of the dark times. There you can see one of our sons jumping to the Baltic Sea. He was affraid to jump, and after thinking and trying it, he decided to jumpo. I took my camera and asked him wait to me (I needed to prepare my camera). Then he jumped...

Old 11-23-2017   #15
ruby.monkey

One of the main reasons why 'street' photography never really appealed to me, is that I find photographs that I take of strangers intensely boring and, frankly, pointless; and really the only ones that give me any pleasure or satisfaction are those of friends or family.

Shab, the photos you posted are beautiful. It's lovely to be given a glimpse of what matters to you.

Old 11-29-2017   #16
Shab

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby.monkey View Post
One of the main reasons why 'street' photography never really appealed to me, is that I find photographs that I take of strangers intensely boring and, frankly, pointless; and really the only ones that give me any pleasure or satisfaction are those of friends or family.

Shab, the photos you posted are beautiful. It's lovely to be given a glimpse of what matters to you.
Thank you very much ruby.monkey.

Today I have chosen another one inside our home.

One of the very special times uses to be the last hour, before going to sleep.

Good night!

Old 11-29-2017   #17
robert blu
quiet photographer

A real intense moment, great photo
robert

Old 11-29-2017   #18
Shab

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert blu View Post
A real intense moment, great photo
robert
Thank you very much...

Old 11-29-2017   #19
lynnb

Shab, these are beautiful photos. I agree with Peter (pyeh) and Richard. Thank you for sharing them here.

It's great that you were able to seek out and photograph the "light moments" to help recover from the dark times. In such times moments of happiness can be the most rare and precious things, which give us hope that life will improve. Those photographs help us focus on the positives that lead to recovery. It's heartwarming to look through the pictures in this thread.

I will share with you one happy picture from my family's journey through dark times, which started over eight years ago when both my daughters became seriously ill. My daughters were only 11 and 13 years old at the time, and they have never recovered. They have not been able to finish school or lead a social life. My wife and I are full time carers. Since their illness their lives have mostly been within their bedrooms, with only books and their cats for company.

This is my eldest daughter with her precious cat Tammy, who never leaves her side. Tammy is now 15 years old. We do not know how my daughter will cope when Tammy dies. They are inseparable friends.

portrait #388-800 by lynnb's snaps, on Flickr

I have many happy family pictures taken before the girls became ill, but very few afterwards, as there have been no family outings or holidays to photograph since their illnesses started and they now rarely feel agreeable for me to take pictures. I could only take the above picture because it contained her cat.

This experience has made me acutely aware of how important those photographs of everyday moments of family life are. I treasure the photographs I have. I like to occasionally look through them but my wife cannot bear to look at them. It makes her too sad. One day she removed all the happy pictures of our girls that covered our bedroom wall.

Thank you again Shab for sharing your pictures. They are indeed special.
Flickr

Old 11-29-2017   #20
lynnb

A bit off-topic, but it was this photo of Elliott Erwitt's first wife Lucienne and their baby, taken in 1953 soon after settling in NYC, that first impressed on me how powerful personal family pictures can be. One of my favourite pictures, ever.
Flickr

Old 12-02-2017   #21
Shab

Lynn... Great input to the thread. I have no words...

I will try to share different moments of my family's life.

Lynn, your input has remenbered when I felt inside a strom, when my father was ill and was going to dead.

Some years later, the summer of 2016 my son was surfing and then, in an abrupt way, came a storm. He was enjoying so much that I decided to wait a bit more until to end the surfing session and I took the camera I had and made a photo:

"Storm is coming"

Have a good saturday...

Old 12-02-2017   #22
airfrogusmc

This work is wonderful. Thanks so much for letting us glimpse into your families world.

Callahans images of Eleanor also come to mind and I think Leibovitz's most powerful work were the very personal images she made of Sontag and their struggle with Susan's cancer.

Old 12-02-2017   #23
davidnewtonguitars
Family Snaps

Dave and Bridger

Old 12-02-2017   #24
robert blu
quiet photographer

@ Lynn: strong image and strong words, difficult to add something.

Interesting thread, thanks you all for sharing these moments of your life with us.

robert

Old 12-02-2017   #25
jmilkins
Digited User

Shab - I saw this thread title and then saw it was you who started it and instantly wanted to see your images. The images you and others have shared so far, and their intimate stories are extraordinarily moving.

Thank you all for this trust, and I wish you the best of light.

My gallery
The FlickR

"To ∞, and beyond!" B. Lightyear, 1995.

Old 12-15-2017   #26
Shab

Thank you jmilkins! :-)

Today I have choosen a photograph that I made in Donostia-San Sebastian.

We went to "Haizearen Orrazia" (The comb of the wind in english) and we had a very "happy" moment. My daughter began to play with the wind, like another woman, so I took my m5 with the 35mm and made this picture. Hope you enjoy it:

Old 12-16-2017   #27
Shab

I was scanning some film and I've found some film from the past (from two or three years ago). The I have seen this one... Look form the past...

Old 12-16-2017   #28
robert blu
quiet photographer

Simply beautiful!
robert

Old 12-16-2017   #29
lynnb

That's a gorgeous photo, Shab. I hope you've printed it.

I think the comb of the wind photo is excellent - and fun - too. Thanks for sharing these.
Flickr

Old 01-09-2018   #30
Shab

Thank you very much Robert and Lynn.

Today I have selected a photo I made in 2017 (April). I like this photo a lot. Maybe it is too simple for you...

Here you have it:

Old 01-09-2018   #31
Brad Bireley

Shab, your photographs are wonderful! Thank you for sharing!

Old 01-09-2018   #32
KoNickon
Nick Merritt

Absolutely lovely stuff, Shab. Each one is a treasure.

Old 01-09-2018   #33
Shab

Brad Bireley and KoNickon, your words are really appreciated. Thank you very much...

Old 01-16-2018   #34
Shab

It was april of 2014 and our youngest son had "anginas" and it was little surgery... after he was sore.

When he woke up he told me: "daddy, can you make me a portrait with your "Vietnamese pig"?" (we say "Vietnamese pig" to my Bronica EC camera).

So I took my beloved "Vietnamese pig" and made two portraits.

Here you have one of them:

Today, He still loves this portrait.

Have a nice day!

Old 01-16-2018   #35
robert blu
quiet photographer

You made a great work with your "Vietnamese pig" Shab!
The intensity of your son's gaze is special and makes this photo an excellent portrait.
robert

Old 01-16-2018   #36
valdas

Shab - really great stuff, thanks for sharing!

Old 01-16-2018   #37
lynnb

This has become one of my favourite threads. Thanks Shab for sharing these special moments you have captured so well.

kind regards,
Flickr

Old 01-16-2018   #38
Richard G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shab View Post
Thank you very much Robert and Lynn.

Today I have selected a photo I made in 2017 (April). I like this photo a lot. Maybe it is too simple for you...

Here you have it:

Shab, somewhere in the world there might be one person who could find fault with this picture, but even that person would probably not complain that it is too simple. It is stunning, the subject and the moment, where you've placed him, the height at which you shot, the aperture chosen, the stillness, the composition, and then to double all of the above, the light.

Old 01-16-2018   #39
rbiemer
Unabashed Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shab View Post

There was a moment when everythind seemed dark, I thought:" I need to photograph the LIGHT, our light, our little moments. It was a way to smile and say: there is the light, we can shine, we can beleive in a better situation..."

I think it was the beggining, real beggining of very important things in our life. Then, when I saw some photographs I thought I had some special photos... for us.

So, what I'm sharing with you are some of those "light's moments".
Thank you , Shab, for sharing these with us and for demonstrating the use of the most important part of a photographer's kit--the heart.

Rob

You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
--Mark Twain

Old 01-19-2018   #40
Shab

Robert blue, valdas, Lynn, Richard G., rbiemer and johnwolf, I really apreciate your words. Thank you very much... I have no words to thank you.

Today I have selected a portrait I made to my daughter some years ago. "Those days I was using for first time my Bronica GS-1. It was my first non 135mm format camera.

That day was a very rainy day and when we arrived home by car my daughter was looking throught the window and I ilke so much that I took the GS-1 and made this portrait. Even in a rainy day there is a "shine" in her eyes...

Have a nice weekend,
Xabier.