Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Light L16 and the rise of computational photography
Old 08-05-2017   #1
lynnb

Light L16 and the rise of computational photography

With the iPhone 7 it looks like computational photography is emerging as the future of image-making for the majority of people (i.e. cell phone users), and will accelerate the demise of most low- and intermediate-level cameras, leaving traditional camera makers only the high end of the market to compete in.

The Light L16 points to the future. See this PetaPixel article.

Like the name implies the L16 has 16 camera modules of varying focal lengths creating one composite image in a package about the size of a cell phone, but thicker. The IQ isn't there yet (see the detail smearing) but these are early days for the technology. From the samples it looks like they've got the dynamic range problem sorted, at least. They also claim good low light performance.

Personally I like traditional optics and fixed focal lengths. But the generation who grew up with these are on the decline and the cell phone generation will probably embrace computational photography - and why not? I'd buy one as a carry-everywhere digital, to complement my XA or Rollei 35S film cameras.

As long as it also makes phone calls
Flickr

Old 08-05-2017   #2
Chris101
summicronia

The L16 is a wild looking camera alright! A couple months ago I bought a Lytro Illum, which is so computational, I feel like I need a lot of study to master it. Unfortunately Lytro has gotten out of the consumer camera business, and I cannot come close to affording their cinematic camera system (I don't know how much it is, I don't 'qualify' to even find out.)

But it is fun for those times I want to play with images in a virtual way. The Lytro lets me edit the depth map on a pixel/area level, which can produce selective, non-contiguous, focus, or 3D. Lytro started out with variable focus after the fact, but ended up with variable aperture, in selected parts of the image. It's wild, and - yep - fun!

Old 08-06-2017   #3
rscheffler

Yeah, the L16 images can look a bit wanting at the pixel level, but then also remember at the largest file sizes (which depend on what 'focal length' was used) it could be upwards of around 80MP. I downloaded their full-rez samples and when those are downsized in steps with some sharpening at each step, the resulting ~24MP images are much better at the pixel level and much better than general phone camera images.

While I don't think I will give up my ILC cameras just yet, I would definitely get the L16 (and have signed up for their updates about their next batch availability) over a $1000 high-end compact such as the Sony RX100 (which may technically still be the better camera).

This is definitely the direction general photography is heading.

Old 12-17-2017   #4
Godfrey
somewhat colored

The Light L16 that I ordered in Summer 2015 has reached production and is finally on it's way to me now! I'm looking forward to experimenting, learning, and making photographs with it.

It is due to be here on Tuesday ... If I have enough time to charge it and learn how to use it, minimally, I'll add it to my bag for my holiday trip to Ireland and the Isle of Man! :-)

G

Old 12-18-2017   #5
mich rassena

The Light L16 has a very long way to go before it can achieve the quality of a dedicated full-frame sensor, or even newer APS-C sensors. There's just not that much sensor real estate in the Light, and the physical apertures are smaller, even combined among the lenses, than a single professional lens, which ultimately limits resolution. It's a great idea for a compact package, like a cell phone and we'll see newer cell phones taking on more lenses in the future. The latest iPhones already have two lenses used computationally to deliver a shallower depth of field for portraits. I assume the Pixel and Galaxy have similar features as well.

What you seen when you look closely at an image from the Light L16 isn't some great increase in resolution, but simply a very large file and lots of pixels.

Compare this full-resolution sample
https://light.co/assets/images/hi-re...man-9-6-17.png

To this one from the Canon EOS 5D
http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/sam...wnloads/01.jpg

At 50MP the Canon image is fewer megapixels, but it's clear that it's not just better, the sample from the Light isn't even in the same ballpark.

Old 12-18-2017   #6
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

It looks huge comparing to mobile iPhone I have. The dood on bike is about to drop it. Obviously he needs Lugy case for it and stripe. The thing is half a kilo heavy. And longer than my M-E.
Good luck to keep all of its lenses clean. It is going to be like pimples cleansing fun. Big boys toy indeed.

Old 12-18-2017   #7
B-9
Devin Bro

FOR 1950$

I can find better ways to spend my money outside of photography.

Thats pro dollar for what is now only a gimmick... the future? not at that price but I believe it could be a serious hit at half that cost.

Edit: For 950$ I would be seriously considering a pre-order. I do like the idea of it.

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram

Old 12-18-2017   #8
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Impressive technology but really not something I would contemplate owning. Computational image making is really not the future of photography though in my opinion.

Old 12-18-2017   #9
michaelwj
----------------

Almost every digital camera already has some "computational photography". In it simplistic form it involves automatic lens corrections which are everywhere (even on everyone's beloved Leica M). In its most advanced incarnation it will do away with the lens entirely (as is already the case with high resolution microscopy).
It is the future, and will bring ever increasing image quality and features to mobile phone cameras. It's going to get better and soon you won't even know that it's there. It's going to be great.

Old 12-18-2017   #10
peterm1

The thing looks like a science fiction robotic spider monster.

Old 12-19-2017   #11
Godfrey
somewhat colored

The Light L16 camera that I ordered in 2015 is finally in production. I received my unit yesterday.

I snapped a few exploratory frames playing with the controls. I then set it on a shelf, a 35mm equivalent FoV selected, and let it make a photo of me. I rendered the file with its app and with Lightroom to this first, full resolution (50Mpixel) JPEG. It's a pleasing result given the three different light sources in my office and my complete lack of experience in using this camera.

Light L16
ISO 511 @ f/8 @ 1/25 @ 35mm equiv

Full resolution JPEG:
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4730/...d97307b7_o.jpg

It's a very interesting camera and will take some time to master, never mind for the firmware and its processing app (Lumen) to become mature.

With respect to size, here are two comparison shots next to my iPhone 6:

Weight wise, it's 145g for the iPhone and 435g for the L16.

Someone said to compare the image quality with a Canon 5D. Sure, fine. But consider that a Canon 5D (the original one, later ones are heavier) is 892g for the body, 335g for a 35mm f/2 lens, and the combined size is about four to six times the volume of the Light L16. The L16, in its slip case, fits in my jacket or vest pocket easily, or into the smallest camera bag I have: it's FAR more portable. I can carry it on the bicycle in the back pocket of my cycling jersey and not even notice it's there.

The selfie above printed a 13x19 inch image at 360 ppi (I down-rezzed the print output from what would be the native ~500 ppi because there's no point to pumping out greater than 360ppi to my printer, all it does is take much more time.) The print is lovely and the detail produced is excellent.

So if it make a good photo that I can print up to very nice 13x19 inch prints with, crop as much as I want, whatever, while carrying it in my jersey pocket on the bicycle without even noticing it, I think it's certainly worth the $1200 I paid for it. It's a lot of camera in a small package; when coupled with a small tripod for best stability, I think it will make an excellent field camera for various types of subject matter.

And no: I'm not selling my Leicas.

G

Old 12-19-2017   #12
kdemas
ʎlʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp sƃuıɥʇ ǝǝS

The reviews on it so far are pretty devastating. Big software and speed issues, leaking into image quality. Too bad, I’m a gadget guy and was tempted.

The unit is also far larger than I ever imagined.

Old 12-19-2017   #13
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdemas View Post
The reviews on it so far are pretty devastating. Big software and speed issues, leaking into image quality. Too bad, I’m a gadget guy and was tempted.

The unit is also far larger than I ever imagined.
Reviewing it as if it were a finished product is silly. Neither the firmware nor the image processing app are even at v1.0 yet. I really couldn't give a darn what "reviewers" have to say at all. They can't even review finished products with any credibility.

If you're not patient enough to enjoy playing with pre-release, in-development machinery, some like the L16 is not for you yet. Maybe it will be someday, who knows? If no one ever wants to play with stuff that is young, not yet complete, etc, well, a lot of what you now take for granted would never have come to be.

I spent most of my career in high tech working with things that were far less developed than the L16, and many of them never made it to being visible to the public. The L16 has already passed that point ... it has a shot at being great. And I'd say a pretty good one if this first, utterly trivial, 'selfie' test, on all pre-release guts, is any indication.

G

Old 12-19-2017   #14
Steve M.

It is probably fine for consumers once they get the bugs out. But it's still gonna produce a digital looking image, so for many of us a film camera will still be for making great images that we frame up and put up on our walls or in galleries. The other stuff is for emailing and sharing on social media sites.

Old 12-19-2017   #15
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post

Light L16
ISO 511 @ f/8 @ 1/25 @ 35mm equiv
Dunno about the camera but I like those glasses. Who makes them?

Old 12-19-2017   #16
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M. View Post
It is probably fine for consumers once they get the bugs out. But it's still gonna produce a digital looking image, so for many of us a film camera will still be for making great images that we frame up and put up on our walls or in galleries. The other stuff is for emailing and sharing on social media sites.

I'm speechless!

Old 12-19-2017   #17
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Dunno about the camera but I like those glasses. Who makes them?
Thanks!

The frames are Lindberg. Incredibly light, tough acrylic in a variety of colors, with titanium arms. Best frames I've ever had!

The camera ... I think it's a cool concept and, with some development yet to go, could be quite a nice piece of equipment. There's lots of potential. When I get back from traveling, I'll work with it and see what it's really good at, even in its current state of development.

G

Old 12-19-2017   #18
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

I tried the link. I got a brief glimpse, and then the screen darkens until all I can see are two buttons that say, "BUY NOW." I didn't get a chance to look at it or read about it.

Some kind of high-pressure scam advertising?

No thinks, I'm good. I have a my Leicas.

Old 12-19-2017   #19
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-F View Post
I tried the link. I got a brief glimpse, and then the screen darkens until all I can see are two buttons that say, "BUY NOW." I didn't get a chance to look at it or read about it.

Some kind of high-pressure scam advertising?

No thinks, I'm good. I have my Leicas.
No, just an overly stylized website that isn't 100% compatible with every browser environment. I had to go in a few times, scroll around a lot, and click on a bunch of different buttons to find the solid information..

https://light.co/technology (camera concept and functional design points)
https://light.co/camera (camera, specs, etc)
https://support.light.co (faq, manuals, etc)

No one with any sense is trying to say that the Light L16 replaces your (or my) Leica M. That's like saying a Polaroid SX-70 replaces a Nikon F ... a ludicrous notion.

An SX-70 presents a completely different way of seeing, of doing photography, compared to a Nikon F. Similarly, an L16 presents a completely different way of doing photography compared to a Leica M. Both are perfectly fine ways of doing photography, each has plusses and minuses, neither replaces the other. They complement each other, if you're so inclined as to enjoy the way different cameras let you see differently and want to take advantage of that.

If you're not so inclined, there's nothing wrong with that. I do feel there is something wrong with disparaging something that you haven't even spent the time to understand in concept, never mind in use.

G

Old 12-19-2017   #20
peterm1

I don't much see the point of it - it seems like a solution in search of a problem. And leaves me with unanswered questions about IQ, sensitivity, dynamic range etc. But if you love new gadgets, good on you - go for it.

Review comparing the Light L16 to the Leica M10 and iPhone X
Old 01-05-2018   #21
rhyman007

Review comparing the Light L16 to the Leica M10 and iPhone X

This is a new review comparing the Light L16 to the Leica M10 and the iPhone X.

What the Light L16 does well, it does VERY well. High Resolution images with good lighting are stunning.

The workflow is horrendous at this point. The proprietary LRI file is about 250MB and converting this to a DNG creates another 250MB file. So a single image has about 500MB of data. You need to use the Lumen SW to process the LRI file but you often need to do additional processing with Lightroom or another photo application.

The size and weight of the L16 is very good. It is a very interesting new type of camera, but not ready for everyone.

The review is here.

Old 01-06-2018   #22
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyman007 View Post
This is a new review comparing the Light L16 to the Leica M10 and the iPhone X.

What the Light L16 does well, it does VERY well. High Resolution images with good lighting are stunning.

The workflow is horrendous at this point. The proprietary LRI file is about 250MB and converting this to a DNG creates another 250MB file. So a single image has about 500MB of data. You need to use the Lumen SW to process the LRI file but you often need to do additional processing with Lightroom or another photo application.

The size and weight of the L16 is very good. It is a very interesting new type of camera, but not ready for everyone.

The review is here.
I'm back at home now: I'll start playing with the L16 within a couple of days.

You are writing as if you owned an L16 and were working the processing. But you're really just summing up what someone else wrote and adding your opinion on top of theirs without even touching the camera. I don't find that particularly informative other than what it says about you?

For instance: What is so "horrendous" about a proprietary data format that requires special processing for a completely new kind of photographic instrument? or about 500MB for raw data for your image files? There's nothing unusual about that when it comes to the innovation edge in digital imaging. I remember when my work was processing synthetic aperture radar images ... the original digital data set was 650 Mbytes (vast, vast amounts of data in 1984) and after nine hours of processing (each) through seventeen custom applications the results were 1024x1024 8-bit image files that could be printed or used for analytic techniques.

Actual data from my experience: The LRI file is the output of 10 of the 16 cameras. In the quick testing I did before I left on holiday, these average about 170 to 190 Mbytes apiece.

The LRIS file is the accumulated parametric editing instructions for the LRI file generated by Lumen, the L16 image processing app; it tends to be 40-55 Mbytes in size. If you're happy with the results right there, you can output a 50Mpixel JPEG file that's about 20 Mbytes in size. If you want to do further editing in Lightroom or the other raw editor of your choice, the two images I outputted to DNG format were 325 Mbytes in size each.

Lumen works remarkably well for an app that is still a beta release ... I had no problems using it even for the very first time. The L16 also works remarkably well for a first product with beta firmware... it behaves as its documentation suggests it ought to, the controls are really quite nice, it feels nice in the hand, and the controls are surprisingly ergonomic. My one finished image with it I transferred to Lumen, edited and output to DNG, then finished in Lightroom, all in about ten minutes of learning, using the camera and software for the first time. I found it fairly pleasing, given that it's a selfie of me and I'm not the greatest subject for a portrait...

I'm sure there are glitches and issues to be discovered. I didn't take the L16 on my trip, I took my Leica M-D and my iPhone/iPad, because I didn't want to spend my holiday trip trying to figure out a new camera. I don't think the L16 replaces either my iPhone/iPad or the Leica M. But there are things that it will enable, with less size and weight to carry, that will make it a very interesting proposition to carry in the future.

Yes, it will consume some storage space when I use it. A four Terabyte bare drive is running about $150 these days ... If we conservatively say that a full suite of LRI+LRIS+DNG+JPG output from the camera nets about three-quarters of a Gigabyte of data, that's storage for about 6000 of those images. I don't consider that to be "horrendous" at all; it's a lot of data but represents images that have a 50Mpixel resolution and unique image processing capabilities that neither of my M or iPhone images can support.

G

Old 01-06-2018   #23
squirrel$$$bandit

Quote:
You are writing as if you owned an L16 and were working the processing. But you're really just summing up what someone else wrote and adding your opinion on top of theirs without even touching the camera. I don't find that particularly informative other than what it says about you?
Are we reading the same review? The review linked to seems to be from somebody who has owned the L16 for more than a month and has taken lots of photos with it—it's a pretty informative piece, actually.

Seems like a really interesting device that could be very powerful once the software's fully cooked.

Old 01-06-2018   #24
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabelsound View Post
Are we reading the same review? The review linked to seems to be from somebody who has owned the L16 for more than a month and has taken lots of photos with it—it's a pretty informative piece, actually.

Seems like a really interesting device that could be very powerful once the software's fully cooked.
But unless rhyman007 is the author, he's not the one who has these experiences. I didn't see an author's name listed when I read it, but I see that there's a Rick Hyman who is responding to comments as if he were the author... If he is the same person, then scratch that one of my comments. His post here about it might have more clearly said, "I've written a new review on the L16. ..." rather than "there is a new review of the L16" as if it was someone else's commentary. My other comments remain.

I agree the article is interesting, didn't say it wasn't. But I'll reserve judgement on the L16 for when I use the camera some more and have formed my own opinions. So far, my experience with it has been positive ... but then I don't tend to be constantly comparing my cameras to each other. I buy them because of their differences, not because of their similarities.

G

Old 01-18-2018   #25
Godfrey
somewhat colored

I've been ill since I arrived home, but I've spent some time playing with the L16 and becoming accustomed to its capabilities and foibles. The fact that both the firmware and the dedicated processing app are both beta quality, at best, does get in the way, but then again I've found it to make some very interesting photos.

The file sizes don't bug me at all: I have multiple terabytes of unused data space and I'm not about to go shooting a bazillion photos with the L16 ... It's not a very fast camera, but it is indeed very handy for some kinds of photography.

Indoors, I've found some excellent results by tripod-mounting it and using it as a mini field camera. As always, I wish it supported a remote release, but at least they provide enough self timer options to be useful. As a "quick, pull out of the bag and grab a snapshot", uh, well, my Leica M-D does that so much better than anything else (including the iPhone), comparing the L16 is meaningless. But as a way to shoot a complex tabletop arrangement and then adjust the focus zone and depth to suit precisely what I have in mind, it's pretty cool.

The 8 MPixel mid-resolution DNG files are MUCH smaller and easier to process than the full 50Mpixel rendered files and provide 90% of what I'd want out of it. I see it working as a modern, all digital and slightly more capable Polaroid SX-70. The vast 50Mpixel resolution, because it is a 10-camera-composite image doesn't quite have the absolute critical accuracy of even a 24Mpixel traditional camera with a good lens (the aforementioned M-D or my SL are the baseline for that), but the photos have a delicious soft-sharpness and qualities not unlike the aforementioned SX-70 when handled correctly. There's just much more you can do with them, both because you have the nice range of 28-150mm FoVs to work with and because the processing can be so flexible.

Can't wait to see how the software updates that are due improve it, but so far I'm enjoying it.

G

Old 01-18-2018   #26
retinax

I'm wondering about the parallax between the lenses. If you have a foreground object near the camera, some of the lenses will see less of the background behind it then others. A normal lens also has this issue at larger apertures, it means the edges of the foreground object will be fuzzed out, or the background will, we call it limited DOF, but these small sensors by themselves have huge DOF. So if the DOF computationally decreased? Or do you notice reduced detail in the background areas next to the edge of a foreground object because the image there comes from only a few of the cameras? I couldn't see this in your pic, but there's not a lot of detail in the background, and the pictures in the petapixel article are badly compressed.

Old 01-21-2018   #27
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Just beginning to get the hang of using the Light L16. I think this is exposure 63 I've made with it.

Light L16
ISO 750 @ f/15 @ 1/30 @ ~125mm
output: 12 Mpixel DNG original, processed in Lumen app on macOS
DNG processed in Lightroom 6.x

Note: very little post processing applied on this one, just basic tweaks and sizing.

First review impression: It's a very small, very handy thing to carry around. The fact that, in its slip case, it's only about an inch thick and just a smidge bigger in length by width than an iPhone 7 Plus makes it easy to slip into a very small bag or jacket pocket. The handling and control ergonomics are remarkably good, better than expected (particularly for an LCD only viewfinder type camera). It does its best performance at lower ISO settings (200 to 750), and fitted on a tripod if you want the ultimate 50Mpixel resolution quality. The latest firmware update has made a HUGE stride in shot to shot responsiveness, and added in-camera tone mapping for JPEG output (not used in this exposure) ... the flash works properly now too. Coming soon is "one shot HDR in-camera or in-Lumen processing. Workflow is still a bit complex, but then the Lumen app is still in beta and provides a huge range of processing options before you even get a DNG out of it. Lumen can also directly output JPEG finals but so far I'm liking the results from processing DNGs a bit more.

It's proving to be a fun and useful tool. Could become a delightful travel camera for some uses with a bit more polish. They'll get there, I expect, based on what I've seen so far.

enjoy!
G

Old 01-21-2018   #28
Godfrey
somewhat colored

The answer to this is necessarily complex because of the varying dynamics in use and the post processing capabilities. But since you can "shape" the focus zone and the depth of field, and blend areas smoothly that need some help, as long as you have some differing group of cameras recording all parts of the image you can get a lot of sharpness. The worst case situation has to be the edge regions at the 28mm FoV setting because you'll only get some of the cameras, and only the 28mm cameras, coverage there.

The L16 seems to default to acquiring as much DoF as possible, and the computational adjustments in Lumen serve mostly to reduce DoF and shape the sharp regions to where you want them. Obviously there are limits, and differences in final look, to what can be done vs a single capture, 50Mpixel, large sensor camera. The goal is to try to avoid where the Light has issues and take advantage of where it shines, like with any camera. I'm still exploring and learning it so I can't give you a detailed impression of the limits yet. It's a complex little thing when you want to go past snap shots.

G

Quote:
Originally Posted by retinax View Post
I'm wondering about the parallax between the lenses. If you have a foreground object near the camera, some of the lenses will see less of the background behind it then others. A normal lens also has this issue at larger apertures, it means the edges of the foreground object will be fuzzed out, or the background will, we call it limited DOF, but these small sensors by themselves have huge DOF. So if the DOF computationally decreased? Or do you notice reduced detail in the background areas next to the edge of a foreground object because the image there comes from only a few of the cameras? I couldn't see this in your pic, but there's not a lot of detail in the background, and the pictures in the petapixel article are badly compressed.

Old 01-21-2018   #29
nikonhswebmaster
reluctant moderator

Quote:
Just beginning to get the hang of using the Light L16. I think this is exposure 63 I've made with it.

It's proving to be a fun and useful tool. Could become a delightful travel camera for some uses with a bit more polish. They'll get there, I expect, based on what I've seen so far.

enjoy!
G
I don't post much these days, but thanks so much for the early-adopter take on this camera.
I really respect your opinion on this.

I really don't care about beta software much, I have been pretty paralyzed by photoshop since giving up analog photography anyway. I would love to use "out of the camera" images again.

All kind of a moot point for me, not likely I will suddenly be invited to show in a gallery again, so it's all just fun for me. And the camera looks like fun.

Old 01-21-2018   #30
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonhswebmaster View Post
I don't post much these days, but thanks so much for the early-adopter take on this camera.
I really respect your opinion on this.

I really don't care about beta software much, I have been pretty paralyzed by photoshop since giving up analog photography anyway. I would love to use "out of the camera" images again.

All kind of a moot point for me, not likely I will suddenly be invited to show in a gallery again, so it's all just fun for me. And the camera looks like fun.
Thanks!

The L16 is fun.

The Lumen software is nowhere near as complex as something like PS to work with, it's simply that there are a number of options at your disposal that can make processing the images a bit complicated if you feel like playing around with them. In many cases there's no need, of course.

You do have to run the exposures through Lumen to output a JPEG, particularly if you want a full resolution JPEG. That's pretty easy ...
  • Start Lumen, connect the camera, select what photos you want to output, and click the Export symbol.
  • Set the location you want to put them in and the size/file type (JPEG, DNG, JPEG+DNG at 8, 13, or 50 MPixel).
  • Click export ...
In a few minutes, it's done and your JPEG images are ready to be printed.

The results of doing just that are pretty darn good!

G

Old 01-21-2018   #31
Jamie Pillers
Skeptic

Godfrey, thanks for posting this information/images. Excellent portrait. :-)

This "computational" approach is just another step along the way to tech-based photography that we won't recognize in 20 years. Just in the last year I've read of serious efforts to develop (1) flexible sensor material that can be shaped in a curve, thus radically simplifying lens design; and (2) so-called lenses that don't use glass to bend light but instead are made of tiny light sensing electronic devices. Camera prototypes of this 2nd technology are about as thick as a dime!

Fuji X-H1; X-Pro1; XF10; Polaroid 250 (waiting for an 'art' project)

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old 01-21-2018   #32
Godfrey
somewhat colored

A quick, out of camera snap at close range ... just passed through Lumen to render a JPEG and tap the tint slider a little magenta to kill the greenish light from my desk lamp:

Full 50Mpixel JPEG rendering: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4607/...12f0bd15_o.jpg

That's near the close focus limit at 35mm eFOV.

G

Old 01-26-2018   #33
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Notes from the Light notebook: I've been carrying the L16 most of the time in the past week or two, beginning to get my legs with it. I'm finding that it does an excellent job as a people/street camera: it remains unobtrusive because, to most people nowadays, it looks like I'm playing with a cell phone.

The firmware was updated again just the other day: the shot to shot speed and AF/AE responsiveness is hugely improved in this release, and the camera now does tone mapping as it blends the images together for smoother rendering. They're working on a concept of "single shot HDR" that's not quite yet ready, but could be really interesting.

The more I use the L16, the more I appreciate its size, weight, and capabilities. It's never going to compete with my other cameras on certain bases, but it creates a new envelope of capability and use with its form factor, weight, and dynamics in use.

In other words, I'm having a blast with it. More pictures soon...

G

Old 01-26-2018   #34
45govt

Hello
Here is a link to a review of the camera by Ted Forbes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLcBtDCh-iQ

Old 01-26-2018   #35
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Thanks, seen it already. He makes what I consider to be the usual mistakes about the Light L16 now ... but eh? everyone's entitled to their opinion. I have my own.

I make photographs with it.

---
I owned one of these cars when they were nearly new, bought it for $1800 in 1972 when I graduated High School. Mine was Forest Green with a Tan interior ... four speed manual transmission, cheap Blaupunkt AM/FM stereo, no AC or power accessories at all. It was a glorious thing to drive: light, agile and trim, quick enough... But oh my was it expensive for an 18 year old to service and maintain! Loved it anyway, lots of fun...

Light L16 - ISO 100
Rendered to DNG, Processed in Lightroom 6
On Flickr: https://flic.kr/s/aHsks73yNP

Ah, great memories. Glad I ran into it!

enjoy,
G

Old 01-26-2018   #36
oftheherd

Quote:
Notes from the Light notebook: I've been carrying the L16 most of the time in the past week or two, beginning to get my legs with it. I'm finding that it does an excellent job as a people/street camera: it remains unobtrusive because, to most people nowadays, it looks like I'm playing with a cell phone.

The firmware was updated again just the other day: the shot to shot speed and AF/AE responsiveness is hugely improved in this release, and the camera now does tone mapping as it blends the images together for smoother rendering. They're working on a concept of "single shot HDR" that's not quite yet ready, but could be really interesting.

The more I use the L16, the more I appreciate its size, weight, and capabilities. It's never going to compete with my other cameras on certain bases, but it creates a new envelope of capability and use with its form factor, weight, and dynamics in use.

In other words, I'm having a blast with it. More pictures soon...

G
Thanks for your reviews and photos. It will be interesting to see where this technology and in particular camera goes.

Old 01-28-2018   #37
Godfrey
somewhat colored

On one of my bus rides last Thursday, I was chatting with this lovely woman for a few moments and then she leaned back and dozed off...

Light L16
ISO 219 @ f/2 @ 1/60 @ 70mm
Focus zone narrowed post-capture.

enjoy!
G

Old 02-03-2018   #38
Godfrey
somewhat colored

It was a beautiful day out yesterday so I took my Racer out for a nice 75 mile ride!

Light L16
ISO 100 @ f/15 @ 1/340 @ 52mm

Full ride report for those who might be interested @
http://www.guzzitech.com/forums/thre...de-down.18142/

enjoy!
G

Old 02-03-2018   #39
willie_901

Those BMW 2002 photos revived some happy memories - thanks.

The 1968-1973 BMW 2002 is still a marvelous automobile. They truly were game changers. Even today they are raced by amateurs.

Here is a PDF version of an iconic early review.[1]

Changing the subject widely –*can you share any L16 results with subjects in motion?

1. This link is from the "Car & Driver" review archives. It is safe.
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 02-03-2018   #40
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie_901 View Post
Those BMW 2002 photos revived some happy memories - thanks.

The 1968-1973 BMW 2002 is still a marvelous automobile. They truly were game changers. Even today they are raced by amateurs.

Here is a PDF version of an iconic early review.[1]

Changing the subject widely –*can you share any L16 results with subjects in motion?

1. This link is from the "Car & Driver" review archives. It is safe.
Thanks for the link! I remember that article well ... been years since I had that issue of C&D!

What kind of "subjects in motion" are you looking for? The L16, like an smartphone, is not at its best with doing sports-type motion shooting. I tend to avoid shooting what a camera doesn't do well...

G