Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Fuji X Series > Fuji X-100 Series

Fuji X-100 Series This forum is for fans of the rangefinder retrostyled Fuji X Series of digital cameras.

X100t -What a joy to use
Old 11-25-2014   #1
marcr1230

X100t -What a joy to use

I unboxed my x100t yesterday
I've owned all 3 generations.

I have to say - what a joy to use.
No other camera brings such a smile to my face when I pick it up

The design is so photographer centric, simple and intuitive yet powerful

Only flaw is battery life - perhaps unavoidable to keep the package small

Can't wait to take this one out for a spin

Old 11-25-2014   #2
ZuikoAndHisM3

I unboxed my X100T this morning, even though it is not set to release until Friday according to Amazon. I've little to no experience with the previous models (I held an X100S once.) but I can say that I'm rather impressed for now. Not had a decent chance to use it just yet, though it shall be getting some decent testing tomorrow as I'm off of work. Just a few things I've thought so far:-

Goodness, that is a nice, bright EVF.
Goodness, that is a crystal clear OVF.
I'll never use that little focusing screen. Maybe for exposure.
I really need to read the Manual. I've no idea what I'm doing.

It feels better than the X100S in my opinion. I very much look forward to using it. I think I may have found a permanent replacement for my Olympus XA.

- Z

Old 11-25-2014   #3
olakiril

Thanks guys for your initial impression.

Can you please comment on the manual focus ring? I know that it is fly-by-wire but how well do you think it is implemented?

I had tried the X100 and I was very disappointed by that.

Thanks

Old 11-25-2014   #4
marcr1230

I thought the focus ring was great - it is electonic, but has a reasonable heavy/smooth feel to it.
Also agree w Z, I don't see myself using the litter focus rectangle - although maybe when I learn more about it I could - it shows the focus point enlarged a little, so you can see when the camera decided to focus, they might be low light situations where it's useful. Also a little hard for eyeglass wearers to see fully

Old 11-25-2014   #5
Jamie Pillers
Skeptic

Relating to both issues raised above, I think you'll all find that the little VF rectangle makes manual focusing a breeze with the X100T. It just takes a little time to get used to it, but once you use it a few times, especially when manual focusing, it becomes second nature.

Fuji X-H1; X-Pro1; XF10; Polaroid 250 (waiting for an 'art' project)

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old 11-25-2014   #6
FrankS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Pillers View Post
Relating to both issues raised above, I think you'll all find that the little VF rectangle makes manual focusing a breeze with the X100T. It just takes a little time to get used to it, but once you use it a few times, especially when manual focusing, it becomes second nature.
Hi Jamie! So you've got one of these? Is it replacing what you were using?
Are you still making the bread?

photography makes me happy

Old 11-25-2014   #7
AusDLK
Famous Photographer

i'm baffled by how to use the camera with the little external Fuji flash. i get all sort of strange behaviors including the picture being inexplicably out-of-focus despite the green square of focus confirmation. i am using the 50mm lens attachment (hence the need for an external flash) but still i cannot seem to find the correct combo of menu settings to get the flash to fire consistently and for some sort of correct TTL exposure to happen

Old 11-27-2014   #8
Archiver

Please keep the experiences and impressions coming. I still have the original X100, and even with the latest firmware, I find focusing a bit quirky at times. I'm hoping that the AF is much improved over the original, and that I can deal with this iteration of X-Trans.

I've downloaded the raw samples from photographyblog.com and I am very impressed with them. They have a similar bite to the Ricoh GR, which impresses me no end, and I find the colour surprisingly attractive, particularly in Raw Therapee.

Old 11-27-2014   #9
GaryLH

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusDLK View Post
i'm baffled by how to use the camera with the little external Fuji flash. i get all sort of strange behaviors including the picture being inexplicably out-of-focus despite the green square of focus confirmation. i am using the 50mm lens attachment (hence the need for an external flash) but still i cannot seem to find the correct combo of menu settings to get the flash to fire consistently and for some sort of correct TTL exposure to happen
Just to make sure.. I am assuming u set the tcl value in the setup menu w/ the 50 converter attached otherwise af will not work reliable..

In terms of consistent flash, in the past I waited about 1-2 seconds past when the flash ready led became active before firing in the old days because I found that sometimes that led turned on too early. Not sure if that is still true w/ today's flash equipment. I rarely use a flash these days w/ the high iso capabilities of today's cameras except for fill flash.

Gary

Old 11-27-2014   #10
bucs

Been using my x100 for a good 2 years already and still works to my liking. Is there a huge leap if i get the T from a user standpoint?

Old 11-28-2014   #11
jky

Had an opportunity to play with the T today. From a user stand point - it resolves a couple of my personal niggles with the S:
1) I like the focus confirmation when using the OVF (a little odd placement of the EVF at the lower right of the VF, but it is very useable).
2) The 1/3 aperture steps.
3) AF seemed faster than the S when indoors.

Wish I had the $.

Old 11-29-2014   #12
archeophoto
I love 1950's quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucs View Post
Been using my x100 for a good 2 years already and still works to my liking. Is there a huge leap if i get the T from a user standpoint?
Yes and no. The T provides subtle upgrades in handling which are quite nice. I really like the split screen manual focus aid that you can mirror into the optical viewfinder. It's a true rangefinder experience. I also like that I can customize the camera the way I like it. It's very handy to remap most of the buttons.
The new LCD screen is nice as is the new EVF, but was not a reason to upgrade for me. Also the sensor alone wouldn't be worth the upgrade. The megapixels are certainly not worth it, but you get better high ISO performance, which was already pretty good on the original X100.
I was standing in the camera store for an hour with my original X100 for comparison. The sales person was getting a bit annoyed with me
In the end I decided to upgrade, as I use the X100 a lot and the X100T is a better "package" overall. I know I will get a lot of use out of it.

I sell quite a few of my X100 shots, so I will get my money back eventually. But the $900-$1000 extra over the original X100 is certainly something that made me think hard.

To me the X100T is the most complete casual and street shooter on the market right now, but the original X100 is 80% as good.
Mamiya Six, Rolleiflex 2.8C, Rolleicord I, Ia, II, IIb, III, IV, Va&Vb

Digital:
Nikon D800
Fuji X100T
http://www.archeophotography.com

Old 11-29-2014   #13
Jamie Pillers
Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankS View Post
Hi Jamie! So you've got one of these? Is it replacing what you were using?
Are you still making the bread?
Hi there, Frank! No on the camera and YES on the bread. I've fiddled with the camera in the camera store a few times and I expect to buy one in the coming months. The bread… a monthly pleasure.

Old 11-29-2014   #14
marcr1230

Been shooting the X100T today, here's my update and some sample shots
I was shooting with OVF, and some of these shots are Vivid setting

Impressions:

I need to re-read the Auto-ISO instructions, I was ending up with a too slow shutter speed at times, I switched to explicit ISO to correct for that

Quiet mode - is scary quiet - I had to chimp from time to time to see if a photo was actually taken, it's that quiet, if there is any ambient noise at all, it's had to tell

Underexposure ? if I did any post, it was to increase the exposure or bring out some shadow detail.

Controls - almost identical to the ancestors, the wheel control is nice, I was wondering today if I could map it to ISO control - need to read up

funny moment - a woman with an X20 or X30 asked me to take he picture, I did, and we remarked what good taste we have in cameras

here's some shots:

Nice this DoF on Pont Des Artes (Lock Bridge)
It's amazing how this habit has exploded - there are now locks upon locks upon locks. It once was cute , now a plague

DSCF1056 by marc1230, on Flickr

Shakespeare and Company - a wonderful and iconic english bookstore, just across from Notre Dame

DSCF1071 by marc1230, on Flickr

Da Fam:

DSCF1061 by marc1230, on Flickr

The Louvre - The Three Graces:

DSCF1016 by marc1230, on Flickr

Old 11-29-2014   #15
SausalitoDog

Thanks for the tantalizing updates, guys.

I just watched mine get gift wrapped for Christmas...

Wonder if anyone would notice if I slipped a x100 in the package??? :-) :-) :-)

Tom

“Dogs are friendly animals. They are very much like people with hair. But they don’t complain and don’t ask for money or a copy of the print.”
- Elliott Erwitt

Old 11-29-2014   #16
taemo

briefly played one at The Camera Store this morning since I saw they had a demo model, I've owned an X100s and currently own an X100 and was seriously impressed by the fast AF on the X100T, both in OVF and EVF mode.

It would definitely be a very nice upgrade from the X100 but I'll just wait until either my X100 dies or Fuji announces the 4th edition of the X100 camera.

Old 11-30-2014   #17
ZuikoAndHisM3

Been with this Camera for a few days now. I'm falling in love with it - but I haven't had much chance to shoot anything interesting.

DSCF1101 by lukas.boutholeau, on Flickr

DSCF1229 by lukas.boutholeau, on Flickr

Old 11-30-2014   #18
marcr1230

Here's one from today - a good example of where I should have used MF.
MF on the EVF is pretty useful - with 3 versions of MF flavor.
here I used AF and the focus was spot on the cup - I would have focused on the eyes
this is at f2.0 straight BW conversion in Aperture and a little cropping

DSCF1155 by marc1230, on Flickr

Old 11-30-2014   #19
marcr1230

Not sure if you knew this, but if you click in the little arrow icon to the lower right of your picture on Flickr - select BBC code and paste the link, you can be obnoxious like me and make every see your photo :-)
show it inline:

Cracked: A Portrait on Still Life by lukas.boutholeau, on Flickr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZuikoAndHisM3 View Post
Been with this Camera for a few days now. I'm falling in love with it - but I haven't had much chance to shoot anything interesting.

DSCF1101 by lukas.boutholeau, on Flickr

DSCF1229 by lukas.boutholeau, on Flickr

Old 11-30-2014   #20
ZuikoAndHisM3

I did do it that way - I can't seem to understand why it came out so small!

Old 11-30-2014   #21
btgc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jky View Post
Had an opportunity to play with the T today. From a user stand point - it resolves a couple of my personal niggles with the S:
2) The 1/3 aperture steps.
I always have admired people being able to tell origin and year of harvest just by tasting wine and without looking at label.

Old 12-01-2014   #22
bhop73

I ordered a T over the weekend. Should be here by the end of the week. I've been using the X100 since 2011 and loving it the whole time. The S wasn't enough to entice me, but the T's wi-fi, rangefinder focus window, higher iso, more reliable focus (over the original), and of course the black paint option made me do it. Can't wait to use it.

Old 12-01-2014   #23
marcr1230

The T also has the ability to charge the battery in camera via USB cable
A nice option that allows for charging 2 batteries at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhop73 View Post
I ordered a T over the weekend. Should be here by the end of the week. I've been using the X100 since 2011 and loving it the whole time. The S wasn't enough to entice me, but the T's wi-fi, rangefinder focus window, higher iso, more reliable focus (over the original), and of course the black paint option made me do it. Can't wait to use it.

Old 12-03-2014   #24
mdwsta4
Matty Westside

Have had my T for the past few weeks and just returned from a 10 day trip to Fiji testing out the camera. My initial thoughts are:

Dials are pretty stiff. Hopefully they'll loosen up a bit with use, but the aperture ring doesn't move as smoothly as I would like (always compare this to my Leica lenses). Manual focus ring doesn't seem to move as quickly from closest to furthest distance either (I know this changes depending on how fast you turn it). Will likely just take time getting used to it, but as others have said in the past, I would have preferred a mechanical focus ring and not focus by wire. Although, oddly enough, the on/off switch keeps going on inside my bag. While I've heard others complain about this for years I've never had it happen with the original x100 or x100s. When going to review images I found all these black screens. At first I thought it was a corrupt card, but it turned out to be my camera being turned on and snapping shots in my bag. I also find the rear scroll wheel (used to be the jog dial) annoying as it is too easily hit and keeps adjusting my settings. May have to invest in a thumb grip to help avoid hitting the wheel by accident.

New EVF is really nice! I've never used it all that often in the past, but testing it and the new mini EVF out I actually forgot I was in live view for a moment! Out on beaches in Fiji I was actually surprised at how often I used the EVF over the OVF. New four way control buttons on the rear have great feedback (unlike the X-T1) and you can use the rear dial at the top to scroll through menus/images quickly just like you used to be able to do with the old control dial. Going to take some time to get used to the new button layout, but I do really like the ability to customize just about everything. This includes a one-press Macro mode which is SO much simpler/easier to use. Multiple customizable buttons and menu are two things, but I really like how you can have 7 custom pre-sets. Only shame is not being able to rename them! Would like to be able to do this on a future firmware upgrade.

Battery meter is accurate!! Well, more accurate at least. No longer do you go from full to empty in a matter of 10 shots. 3 bars, 2 bars, 1 bar, then red. It was a pleasant surprise as I've been accustomed to changing batteries without much notice.

At the end of the day I really only upgraded for one reason; wi-fi. I have an Instax printer and being able to transfer images directly to the printer (rather an an eye-fi card or downloading images to a computer) makes this a no brainer. Same goes for the ability to transfer images directly to my phone for sharing on social media. Being able to use the Fuji app to trigger the shutter is the other reason wi-fi was a big deal to me. This will make things much easier when doing long exposures rather than carrying around a shutter release cable and having to take off (and potentially lose) my soft release. I do hope Fuji updates the app to allow you to trigger Bulb as the 30 second max exposure doesn't make any sense to me.

Other than that, I feel it's a pretty minor upgrade and were it not for the wi-fi I would have likely stuck with the 'S'. The new EVF and rear screen are nice, but not nice enough to justify the 'T' over the 'S'. And for me, personally, I prefer the look over the x100/s. Even though the differences are minor, the new top plate lost all definition (in the grip, around the OVF, dials, mic, etc) and just doesn't look as nice as the older versions to me.

Apparently you could do this with previous gen x100 cameras as well. I've never tried, but others were reporting that it's possible, just wasn't advertised. That said, while it's a nice feature to have, it would be nice if there were ANY sort of indication that the battery was actually charging in-camera or a percentage of charge (think cell phone, laptop, anything else that requires a battery to be charged!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcr1230 View Post
The T also has the ability to charge the battery in camera via USB cable
A nice option that allows for charging 2 batteries at once

Leica MP
Hasselblad 500 CM
Fujifilm TX-1

Fujifilm X100F
Fujifilm X-Pro 2

Old 12-11-2014   #25
danielsterno
making soup from mud

All:
As a x100 user, I am looking for any insight from users that have left the x100 for the X100t. I am generally happy with the x100, EXCEPT would like faster and more accurate AF but at what cost. The Q button seems useful, and improvements of the manual focusing being the manual focusing on the x100 is not usable.
I also have heard complaints about the rendering of the JPEGs in the newer 2nd & 3rd generation Fuji sensors versus the X100 and XPro. I have heard this criticism before. If this is true then the same must apply to the XT-1 as well being it is the same sensor… any thoughts?
than absolutely boring.

pencil/paint/M6/M5/Fuji x100F

flickr:https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old 12-11-2014   #26
mdwsta4
Matty Westside

If you want faster AF and better manual performance, either the x100s or x100t would be a good choice. This isn't news so I'm not sure what else would be holding you back.

Regarding cost, that differs for everyone. My definition is different than yours so only you can answer that question.

People discuss smudging and wax skin on all x-trans sensor camera. I, personally, don't really have a problem with any renderings, but I also don't pixel peep any of my digital files. The x100 (and X-A1) are the only x-series bodies without an x-trans sensor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsterno View Post
All:
As a x100 user, I am looking for any insight from users that have left the x100 for the X100t. I am generally happy with the x100, EXCEPT would like faster and more accurate AF but at what cost. The Q button seems useful, and improvements of the manual focusing being the manual focusing on the x100 is not usable.
I also have heard complaints about the rendering of the JPEGs in the newer 2nd & 3rd generation Fuji sensors versus the X100 and XPro. I have heard this criticism before. If this is true then the same must apply to the XT-1 as well being it is the same sensor… any thoughts?

Leica MP
Hasselblad 500 CM
Fujifilm TX-1

Fujifilm X100F
Fujifilm X-Pro 2

Old 12-12-2014   #27
willie_901

Since the XTrans II cameras appeared, there are consistent reports that very high ISO (> 1600) in-camera JPEG renderings. I never use JPEGs so I have no perspective about these claims. The X100T certainly has the XTrans II sensor and it uses the EXR Processor II. I will say I prefer the XTrans II raw files to the XTrans I raw even though the difference is small.

Compared to the X100, both XTrans systems provide increased IQ, especially when light levels drop below ~ EV 7. My X100 displayed weak color banding in shadows above ISO 1600 while the XTrans I and II sensors are much cleaner in similar light.

While the topic of ACR and XTrans rendering continues to be polarized, I find LR 5.X (unlike earlier versions) has no fundamental disadvantage. Others disagree strongly. The LR Fujifilm Camera Profiles make a difference. What is unavoidable is XTrans raw requires different rendering parameters than Bayer raw. These differences are well-documented and simple to apply upon import.

In my view the reason to upgrade to the X100T is the significant improvements in the EVF ysytem. The display quality is better because of the display hardware differences and because of the increased CPU speed. In particular all focusing modes are improved. I suspect many experienced X100 users will develop new focusing methods since the X100T's AF system is quite different. If you prefer MF, then these improvements could be useful.

The XTRans II sensor also has on-sensor phase detection elements. PD AF can be quicker than CD AF. However the PD detection pixels are in the center of the frame so PD AF only works for centered focus objects.
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 01-13-2015   #28
Scheelings

Is the X100T compatible with 3rd party cases?

Old 01-24-2015   #29
C. D. Keth

The only thing I don't like about my x100t is the infinitely rotating focus ring. I'd prefer a real focus mechanism that I can zone focus with the camera still hanging on my front.

Old 08-20-2015   #30
Richard G

I held one today. The aperture dial has more heft, and the f numbers more visible. I was comparing black to my silver though. I was sure the camera was much heavier than my X100. The constriction seemed a bit sturdier. Ken Rockwell's review suggests it is the best camera in the world. Having loved everything about the X100 I don't disagree with him.

Old 08-20-2015   #31
dogberryjr
[Pithy phrase]

I would dearly love an X100T. Too bad nothing seems to be moving in the classifieds here lately.

Old 03-27-2017   #32
Bingley

Bumping this thread to say thanks to the contributors for sharing their experiences. With the X100F out, the price of a new X100T finally dropped and I ordered one over the weekend (call me a late adopter). I've really liked the X70, so I'm looking forward to the X100T. I've been generally happy w/ my m4/3 cameras, but there's something about the image quality from the Fuji X100 series that I find attractive and haven't been able to replicate on my Oly E-P5.

FS: Zeiss-ZM Planar 50 plus hood, Pentax MX, Voigtlander Ultron 40/2.0 SLII in Pentax K-mount, Takumar 100/2.8 and 35/3.5 lenses: See my ads in Classifieds

M3, M2, R2A, IIIc, IVSB2, & T, and assorted LTM & M lenses
Minolta XD11, Pentax ME Super, and assorted MD Rokkor and Takumar lenses, Rolleicord III, Rolleicord Vb, Rolleiflex Automat MX-EVS

My Flickr
My Gallery

Viewfinder options on Fuji X100 F
Old 08-16-2017   #33
bobvS
barry hamlin

Viewfinder options on Fuji X100 F

i am frustrated by choosing a black & white film option in my X100 and then having the "VIEWFINDER only" option change to B&W as well. Does anyone know of a way to turn that off?

bob

Old 08-16-2017   #34
Chubberino
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobvS View Post
i am frustrated by choosing a black & white film option in my X100 and then having the "VIEWFINDER only" option change to B&W as well. Does anyone know of a way to turn that off?

bob
Shut off black and white and process after the fact.

Old 08-17-2017   #35
Dogman

Or use the OVF instead of the EVF.

Old 08-17-2017   #36
willie_901

What Chubberino and Dogman said.

An even less convenient method would be to use raw files and then apply the desired B&W preset in-camera. Then you could export the B&W JPEGs and delete the raw files. This would involve fiddling with the menu system.

I never use in-camera JPEGs, so I don't know if this can be done to a group of selected raw files in batch mode. Also, I think the initial in-camera previews would use the same color preset as the finder EVF live view. Unfortunately, in-camera JPEG previews from raw files are low res to save space. If you shot in raw +JPEG you might be able to view a hi-res color JPEG in-camera.
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 08-17-2017   #37
JoeLopez

I've had a silver x100 since April this year, finally pulled the trigger on a mint used black X100T, should be here by tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to the new toy.

Who's using third party black half cases on their X100T? I'm looking for something with a tripod mount and red stitching.

Other gear: Minolta X-570, Nikon F3/T, N90s & D750, Fuji X100T
Nikkor 50mm f1.8, 28mm f2.8 E, Voigtlander 40mm f/2.0 Ultron SL, Minolta 45mm f2 & 50mm f1.7

My Flickr | My ebay | Instagram

Old 02-05-2018   #38
Bingley

Regarding my post above, I bought a new X100T, tried it out, and am selling it (see my ad in Classifieds). Without a doubt, it has great image quality, but I prefer the handling on my Olympus Pen F, as well as the ability to change lenses. Different strokes...

FS: Zeiss-ZM Planar 50 plus hood, Pentax MX, Voigtlander Ultron 40/2.0 SLII in Pentax K-mount, Takumar 100/2.8 and 35/3.5 lenses: See my ads in Classifieds

Minolta XD11, Pentax ME Super, and assorted MD Rokkor and Takumar lenses, Rolleicord III, Rolleicord Vb, Rolleiflex Automat MX-EVS

My Flickr
My Gallery

Old 02-05-2018   #39
Jamie Pillers
Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingley View Post
Regarding my post above, I bought a new X100T, tried it out, and am selling it (see my ad in Classifieds). Without a doubt, it has great image quality, but I prefer the handling on my Olympus Pen F, as well as the ability to change lenses. Different strokes...
Steve, how would you rate/compare the viewfinders on the two cameras? Either better?
Jamie

Old 02-05-2018   #40
Bingley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Pillers View Post
Steve, how would you rate/compare the viewfinders on the two cameras? Either better?
Jamie
Hi Jamie,

With the X100T, you can choose between an EVF and an optical VF. With the Olympus Pen F, it's EVF only. On the whole, I liked the optical VF on the X100T, but if you're manual focusing AND you want to use focus peaking you'll need to switch to EVF. As between the two EVFs, I prefer the Pen F to the X100T (I find the EVF on the Pen F to be a little brighter), but that's a personal preference.

I would add that the Pen F's back LCD display can be articulated, or flipped around so that it's not displayed at all (discourages chimping). The X100T's back display is fixed, but the camera allows you to turn the LCD display off or have it turn off when you raise the VF to your eye.

My Flickr
My Gallery