Old 09-03-2018   #41
mod2001
Old school modernist

Quote:
Originally Posted by coelacanth View Post
If GR with OVF gets announced, Ill be placing an order before you can blink.

same here, don't like dispays and/or external finder, was the main reason why I sold my GRII.

Jrgen

Old 09-03-2018   #42
Scottboarding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archlich View Post
It will not be under $700. Ricoh is not a charity venue. Let it be profitable so wed see a 4th generation in the future, if you please?
I wasn't sure how much it typically launched at. I bought mine a year and a half ago for $600 which I felt was a great deal. What did the GRii launch at?

Old 09-03-2018   #43
regular

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by aizan View Post
please be real! that'd be a dream come true.
Fake based on a GRD2 :

http://www.dpreview.com/files/p/arti...rd2_front.jpeg

Old 09-03-2018   #44
Landberg

All i need is a dust free sensor.

Old 09-03-2018   #45
regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottboarding View Post
I wasn't sure how much it typically launched at. I bought mine a year and a half ago for $600 which I felt was a great deal. What did the GRii launch at?
The Fuji XF10 was announced in July for 500euros, Ricoh will certainly use the same off-the-shelf 24Mpxls sensor from Sony.

The Fuji bad guys may have tried to cut Ricoh short on the price and earlier announcement. Still, Ricoh's marketing team will not be permitted to ignore that datapoint.

Old 09-03-2018   #46
Archlich

Quote:
Originally Posted by regular View Post
The Fuji XF10 was announced in July for 500euros, Ricoh will certainly use the same off-the-shelf 24Mpxls sensor from Sony.

The Fuji bad guys may have tried to cut Ricoh short on the price and earlier announcement. Still, Ricoh's marketing team will not be permitted to ignore that datapoint.
The XF10 is clearly an entry level camera. Together with the X-A5 and the X-T100, with which it shares most of the hardwares, The XF10 completes somewhat a budget version of the X-Pro2/X-T2/X100F trio. If it's ever comparable to a GR II (which was X70 level), it's because the former is much newer. Not so fair I'd say if there actually will be a GR III.

Quote:
Traditionally the GR Digitals were considered expensive at $599 ($699 for the III and IV) for their fixed lens and 1/1.7'' sensors. They gained a cult following nonetheless thanks to the supreme handling. Both the GR and the GR II were $799 when new. They reigned as bargains since they have large sensors and beat the competitions (the Coolpix A and the X70) by such a large margin.

Camera prices had been on steady rise, so it won't be surprising if the GR III is more expensive than ever. But the GR series, since day one with the GR1 which retailed for 90,000 yen in 1996 ($1,300 today), was never meant to be cheap.

Old 09-03-2018   #47
jsrockit

Quote:
The XF10 is clearly an entry level camera: a lens recycled from the X70 fitted to a X-A5 body.
It is not a X-A5 body at all...

Quote:
Together with the X-A5 and the X-T100, with which it shares most of the hardwares, The XF10 completes somewhat a budget version of the X-Pro2/X-T2/X100F trio.
Well, internal hardware...

Quote:
If it's ever comparable to a GR II (which was X70 level), it's because the former is much newer. Not so fair I'd say if there actually will be a GR III.
Exactly...

Old 09-03-2018   #48
Archlich

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
It is not a X-A5 body at all...

To put it more precisely: the same bayer sensor, processor, AF system, screen (sans the articulating part), battery, etc....you know what I mean.

If the aperture can be changed in the pseudo-"snap" mode I'd be seriously into one. Unfortunately not so. Rumor has it that Ricoh had patented the method.

Old 09-03-2018   #49
jsrockit

Quote:
To put it more precisely: the same bayer sensor, processor, AF system, screen (sans the articulating part), battery, etc....you know what I mean.
True, but in a smaller shell.

Quote:
If the aperture can be changed in the pseudo-"snap" mode I'd be seriously into one. Unfortunately not so. Rumor has it that Ricoh had patented the method.
Yeah, maybe we can hope for something in a firmware update... unless what you say about Ricoh is true.

Old 09-03-2018   #50
ramosa

Weather-proofing and new sensor, and Ill buy one. Its the only pocketable camera that Id ever want.

Old 09-03-2018   #51
emraphoto

I have always had a ricoh gr. Be it the the gr1 or one of the digital incarnations. Currently a grii.

Short of a hotshoe attachable evf, akin to the Olympus XZ-2 or Panasonic LX-7 (insert similarly capable digicam here), i cant recommend anything else. The current sensor is well beyond my quality threshold (credit to Roger) and i have printed/sold many frames from it.

Old 09-03-2018   #52
regular

Quote:
Rumor has it that Ricoh had patented the method.

There should not be such thing as a rumor when discussing a patent. Either its true, and the patent is certainly available on a patent website; or it is a false rumor.

Old 09-03-2018   #53
Scottboarding

Quote:
There should not be such thing as a rumor when discussing a patent. Either its true, and the patent is certainly available on a patent website; or it is a false rumor.
What I heard was that they patented the term "snap focus" or something along those lines. Snap Focus is basically just zone focusing which I doubt would be able to patent since it's a technique, not a product.

Old 09-04-2018   #54
regular

Quote:
What I heard was that they patented the term "snap focus" or something along those lines. Snap Focus is basically just zone focusing which I doubt would be able to patent since it's a technique, not a product.
The European trademark DB shows that Ricoh registered the term "Snap Search" in 2013.

Old 09-04-2018   #55
Archlich

Quote:
The European trademark DB shows that Ricoh registered the term "Snap Search" in 2013.
The case is I don't know. What I do know is, there seems to be no other company offering the "snap" method Ricoh has on the GR cameras. It clearly is superior for any camera that focuses by-wire; it's just software so should be something as simple as a firmware update, but no. The XF10's "snap" mode can only do f/8 at 2 meters and f/5.6 at 5 meters, and nothing else. A bit disappointing it is, but Fuji went this way nonetheless. The "rumor", as I understand it, is there to justify these otherwise counter intuitive decisions. Maybe it should be called "wishful thinking" instead.

Old 09-04-2018   #56
shawn

Ricoh has had a similar (simplified) mode on other Pentax cameras. The WG-3 will autofocus with a half button press and then shutter release. If you just mash down the button it goes to Pan focus (hyper focal) and shoots the shot.

If Ricoh patented they should have had to do that when they introduced the feature. I think that was in the GR1 which was around '96. If the patent was in the same time frame it would likely be expired by now.

Shawn

Old 09-04-2018   #57
Jamie Pillers
Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn View Post
Ricoh has had a similar (simplified) mode on other Pentax cameras. The WG-3 will autofocus with a half button press and then shutter release. If you just mash down the button it goes to Pan focus (hyper focal) and shoots the shot.

If Ricoh patented they should have had to do that when they introduced the feature. I think that was in the GR1 which was around '96. If the patent was in the same time frame it would likely be expired by now.

Shawn

The new Fuji XF10 camera has a similar feature, implemented nicely. Its called "Snapshot". I have it set to one of the function buttons.. press it once and the focus distance is set at 5 meters at f5.6, another press and it goes to 2 meters and f8, another press and the feature is turned off. I like it. :-)

Fuji X-H1; X-Pro1; XF10; Polaroid 250 (waiting for an 'art' project)

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old 09-05-2018   #58
Black
Photographer.

https://pentaxrumors.com/2018/09/03/...-of-september/

Old 09-06-2018   #59
KEVIN-XU 愛 forever
所謂的攝影,就是人生。

https://camerajabber.com/ricoh-makes...-at-photokina/

Check this out

所謂的攝影,就是人生。
---荒木經惟

https://www.instagram.com/kevinxbegin/

Old 09-07-2018   #60
jsrockit

I find it truly weird that they plan to have a meet and greet on what is effectively a 5 year old camera... so I would imagine they will have something.

Old 09-24-2018   #61
andersju

Announced: https://www.dpreview.com/news/791278...awaited-gr-iii

Press release + official specs: http://news.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/rim_...25_026135.html

Some highlights/notes:

- Redesigned lens, minimum focus distance now 6 cm / 2.4" (previously 10 cm / 3.9"), built-in 2-stop ND filter still there

- Image stabilization ("Sensor-shift shake reduction (SR)(3-axis)")

- Dust cleaning! ("Image sensor cleaning using ultrasonic vibrations "DR II"")

- More advanced AF ("Hybrid AF (Image plane phase-matching and Contrast detection)")

- Touch screen

- USB-C for "Battery Recharge/Power Supply (Optional AC Adapter required), Data Transfer: MTP, Video output: DisplayPort over USB-C (DisplayPort Alternative Mode)" - nice

- Built-in flash is gone

- About the same size/weight as before; slightly less wide

- Still APS-C CMOS sensor

- Can now do 1920x1080 video @ 60p (previously max 30p)

- Available early 2019

Nothing earth-shattering but looks like a fine upgrade.

Old 09-25-2018   #62
Dogman

I'm pleased Ricoh kept the basic GR intact. Sensor-based IS will be a useful addition as will dust removal. I hope they haven't screwed up the optical quality of the lens by fiddling with minimum focus distance, etc. Improved AF will be welcomed by many but I tend to shoot in good light so I've never had any issues with the current AF. The jump from 16MP to 24MP probably won't be very noticeable except for file sizes. As long as I can turn off the touch screen, I'm okay with it. And, jeez, I had forgotten the GR even had a built in flash. I've never used it.

Give it a year to prove itself and I might be interested.

Old 09-25-2018   #63
mod2001
Old school modernist

Again no internal viewfinder or at least an optional EVF as far as I can see. Sad,too sad. Well, on the postive side, I don't have to wait any longer.

Juergen

Old 09-25-2018   #64
Scapevision

"a totally new breed of GR camera" these marketing people should have looked at GRII, it's not thAt new

Old 09-25-2018   #65
Archlich

I use the built-in flash. Bad. But everything else looks fine. If the AF is up to current standard, it should be significantly more capable than before. Kinda expected the lack of weather sealing...

Will buy.

Old 09-25-2018   #66
nightfly

Well, at least I don't have to replace my GRII.

Nothing to see here really, glad they didn't ruin it.

Should be happy for a new camera announcement that I don't want to buy.

Boom! GRIII!
Old 09-25-2018   #67
mackigator

Boom! GRIII!

https://www.pdnonline.com/gear/camer...ompact-camera/

That means I can retire my road-weary GRII, the camera that just won't let me kill it. Pocketed. Dropped. Bounced. Flung from numerous bicycles; jettisoned at 30 mph from a car, still shooting albeit with some flare issues. https://flic.kr/p/2a2PGnT

Old 09-25-2018   #68
benlees

Slow and steady with the GR. Redesigning the lens for 4 more cm of close focus seems odd.

If had the II, and didn't have dust issues, I would give this one a miss.

Old 09-25-2018   #69
aizan

hopes dashed on the rocks of incremental improvements.

Old 09-25-2018   #70
Lss

Disappointing announcement, but I will likely buy this camera regardless. There simply isnt interesting competition in the niche this product occupies. While I have never used any of the GR models, the photographer feedback is very good. I guess what could still put me off is the final pricing.

Old 09-25-2018   #71
ptpdprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwolf View Post
A bit OT, but I think we'll see some casualties of the mirrorless war, and Ricoh/Pentax could among the first to fall.
The other casualty may be m43 in general and Olympus in particular.

Old 09-25-2018   #72
Scapevision

nobody bring up the elephant in the room...dual slots

Old 09-25-2018   #73
Jamie Pillers
Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lss View Post
Disappointing announcement, but I will likely buy this camera regardless. There simply isn’t interesting competition in the niche this product occupies. While I have never used any of the GR models, the photographer feedback is very good. I guess what could still put me off is the final pricing.
I'll suggest one possible bit of competition for the GR (I've owned all the digital GR's at one time or another). I've been using the Fuji XF10 for a month now. 24mp Bayer-type sensor. Colors are excellent. My favorite feature is Fuji's version of snap focus. Push a button and the camera snaps to 5 meters at f5.6. Push the button again and it snaps to 2 meters at f8. I like the simplicity of this arrangement a lot. The other feature I use a lot is the focal length zoom... flick the ring around the lens a bit and it zooms from 28mm to 35mm; another flick and it zooms to 50mm.

Fuji X-H1; X-Pro1; XF10; Polaroid 250 (waiting for an 'art' project)

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old 09-25-2018   #74
DougFord
on the good foot

Looks good. I like that they've reduced the size somewhat; width by 8mm. As long as the AF and face detection are accurate and fast, and the general responsiveness of the user interface isn't laggy, I could see myself buying one.

the walk

Old 09-25-2018   #75
jsrockit

Looks exactly like what I expected... though I didn't think they'd make it even smaller! However, the price will be key.... $800? ok. $1000+ ...no way. It also NEEDS modern AF that can focus down past -2EV at least.

Old 09-25-2018   #76
coelacanth
Ride, dive, shoot.

I've always had a GR in my possession ever since the original small sensor GR Digital (skipping 1-2 generations in between), but I lost my 1st gen APS-C GR about a year or so ago, and I've been waiting for GR III to come out.

I ask only one thing: get rid of sensor dust issue or make it easier to remove. Literally all GR units I had over the years eventually developed dust spots that were large and blurry making post-process clean-up really annoying or often impossible.

b/w guy.

flickr | Instagram

Old 09-25-2018   #77
nickthetasmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersju View Post
Nothing earth-shattering but looks like a fine upgrade.
Given that Ricoh has been perfecting the GR over a couple of decades, I would be deeply concerned if the new one was 'earth-shattering'. Steady as she goes

For my use it looks like a fantastic upgrade. IS, dust-reduction and 6cm minimum focussing are things that will be genuinely useful in day-to-day use. 24mp is a bonus but honestly the existing sensor was fine. I'm glad they didn't go with an articulating screen as I think this would have moved away from the pocketability and durability of the existing form. Likewise, I've never felt like the GR I/II needed an onboard viewfinder.

Personally I'm happy to take a slightly smaller form at the expense of the onboard flash (I never use it anyway), but I can see why some people will miss this feature.

My only concern is that my shrinking the body horizontally, the rear controls may become a bit cluttered. Ergonomics are one of my favourite things about the GR...

Instagram @other_strange_creatures

Old 09-25-2018   #78
Archlich

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthetasmaniac View Post

My only concern is that my shrinking the body horizontally, the rear controls may become a bit cluttered. Ergonomics are one of my favourite things about the GR...
It has gesture control at each of the four corners of the touch screen, much like the Fuji X-E3. So likely four more customizable functions. That's the good thing about the touchscreen: you can utilize the increasing screen estate for more controls.

It won't come cheap. I project the price to be a realistic $899 or $999...

Old 09-25-2018   #79
nickthetasmaniac

Quote:
It has gesture control at each of the four corners of the touch screen, much like the Fuji X-E3. So likely four more customizable functions. That's the good thing about the touchscreen: you can utilize the increasing screen estate for more controls.
I realise this (I've owned/own the GH2, EM5 and Pen F, all with touch screen), but a touch screen is never going to replace a tactile button/dial in terms of the haptic experience you currently have with the GR.

Old 09-26-2018   #80
nickthetasmaniac

DPR now have a 'First Look' up which shows the back.

To make it skinner we've lost the exposure comp +/- buttons and selectable AEL/AFL/CAF button/switch.

Meh.