Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Coffee With Mentors > Bill Pierce - Leica M photog and author

Bill Pierce - Leica M photog and author

“Our autobiography is written in our contact sheets,  and our opinion of the world in our selects”  

"Never ever confuse sharp with good, or you will end up shaving with an ice cream cone and licking a razor blade."  

Bill Pierce is one of the most successful Leica photographers and authors ever. I initially "met" Bill in the wonderful 1973 15th edition Leica Manual (the one with the M5 on the cover). I kept reading and re-reading his four chapters, continually amazed at his knoweldge and ability, thinking "if I only knew a small part of what this guy knows... wow."  I looked foward to his monthly columns in Camera 35 and devoured them like a starving man.  Bill has worked as a photojournalist  for 25 years, keyword: WORK.  Many photogs dream of the professional photographer's  life that Bill has earned and enjoyed.  Probably Bill's most famous pic is Nixon departing the White House for the last time, victory signs still waving. 

Bill  has been published in many major magazines, including  Time, Life, Newsweek, U.S. News, The New York Times Sunday Magazine, New York Magazine, Stern, L'Express and Paris Match.  :His published books include  The Leica Manual,  War Torn, Survivors and Victims in the Late 20th Century, Homeless in America,  Human Rights in China,  Children of War.  Add to that numerous exhibitions at major galleries and museums.  Magazine contributions include  Popular Photography,  Camera 35, Leica Manual,  Photo District News, the Encyclopedia of Brittanica, the Digital Journalist, and now RFF.  Major awards include Leica Medal of Excellence, Overseas Press Club's Oliver Rebbot Award for Best Photojournalism from Abroad,  and the World Press Photo's Budapest Award. Perhaps an ever bigger award is Tom Abrahamsson's comment: "If you want to know Rodinal, ask Bill."

I met Bill in person through our mutual friend Tom Abrahamsson.  In person his insight and comments are every bit as interesting and engaging as his writing.  He is a great guy who really KNOWS photography.  I am happy to say he has generously agreed to host this forum at RFF  From time to time Bill will bring up topics, but you are also invited to ask questions.  Sit down and enjoy the ride!

What....
Old 03-12-2018   #1
Bill Pierce

What....

The one thing all photographers have in common is cameras. Essays, evaluations and test reports of new cameras abound on the internet. Lenses probably get the number two spot, as well they should. Cameras don’t work without them and, in many cases, a good lens will outlive the camera body it started on.

But what then? Camera bags? Tripods? Film or memory cards? Darkroom gear or processing programs? My guess is that different photographers want different information. I was a darkroom freak; so, now I’m a computer geek. When I first came to NYC, I survived as a lighting designer and electrician in the first “off Broadway” theaters. It left me with a love of lighting gear and head shots.

Outside of cameras and lenses, from your perspective what gear should we be talking about? Maybe there are a couple of things that dominate our “need to know” or maybe not.

Old 03-12-2018   #2
x-ray

Bill the internet is full of equipment discussions and opinions but there are very few real photographers that have the kind of portfolio you have. Rather than more gear discussion I'd love to see images you feel are your best with your account of what inspired the image and your thoughts that led to the way you executed the shoot. I'd love to know your feelings about subject, what you felt would be the best lighting and how you interacted with your subject. What's the story behind the photo?

In addition I'd love to see a scan of your raw neg with no dodging and burning and then the final print with comments on why you dodged, burned and bleached the image as you did. Your selection of paper, toner and such all play a part in how you visualized the final image.

Please consider doing this.

Old 03-12-2018   #3
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

To me, the most important accessory is a good handheld meter.

It amazes me to see so many people who will spend $500 for a camera bag but will skimp on a meter, buying the cheapest thing they can find. I use a Sekonic L-758DR, which was Sekonic's top of the line until recently when it was replaced by a newer model. It was a $600 meter, plus the $130 it cost for the calibration and profiling target that lets you profile a camera for exposure accuracy.

That's a lot of money, but it was worth every dollar. A properly exposed image, whether shot on film or digital, is so much easier to edit and print. A good meter is a time saver that improves the quality of your work far more than any high-end bag or fancy strap or whatever.

Old 03-12-2018   #4
michaelwj
----------------

I think the most difficult decision to make is tripods. I hate buying a new tripod. There are so many models from so many brands at so many price points. Unlike cameras and lenses, the barrier for entry for a manufacturer is low (they aren't that complicated). Unlike bags, the quality of the tripod will influence the results (in many respects, if it carries your gear, the bag is okay). Unlike film, darkrooms, post processing, printing, a tripod doesn't really influence the art - it should be an objective decision. A tripod will in many cases outlive both cameras and lenses, but it's so hard to find objective reviews. All the manufacturers give their own limits which can't be directly compared, and everyone has an opinion - usually the model they use; it's not like people go through that many tripods do they?

I suppose lighting would also fall into the same category (apart from flashes which may be brand specific), but I'm not a big lighting user...

Old 03-12-2018   #5
michaelwj
----------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-ray View Post
Bill the internet is full of equipment discussions and opinions but there are very few real photographers that have the kind of portfolio you have. Rather than more gear discussion I'd love to see images you feel are your best with your account of what inspired the image and your thoughts that led to the way you executed the shoot. I'd love to know your feelings about subject, what you felt would be the best lighting and how you interacted with your subject. What's the story behind the photo?

In addition I'd love to see a scan of your raw neg with no dodging and burning and then the final print with comments on why you dodged, burned and bleached the image as you did. Your selection of paper, toner and such all play a part in how you visualized the final image.

When I was the librarian at our local camera club, the most checked out book was "50 Portraits" by Gregory Heisler, which is exactly this. An excellent book. There is definitely a desire for this type of image creation discussion.

Old 03-12-2018   #6
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

My most participated after cameras and lenses thread is - do I need UV filter on my digital camera? And then - will airport x-ray damage my film?

Old 03-12-2018   #7
retinax

Quote:

Yes, this would be wonderful!

Old 03-12-2018   #8
x-ray

Not trying to hijack Bills thread but we have one of the great photographers of our time right here on this forum and all people want to do is talk gear. Unbelievable! Tap this mans mind and experience. Learn! Get inspired!

Old 03-12-2018   #9
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:

i'd love this as well.
a respected voice of experience sharing his 'image thoughts' would be spectacular.

Old 03-12-2018   #10
zuiko85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscrawfordphoto View Post

It amazes me to see so many people who will spend $500 for a camera bag but will skimp on a meter, buying the cheapest thing they can find. I use a Sekonic L-758DR, which was Sekonic's top of the line until recently when it was replaced by a newer model. It was a $600 meter, plus the $130 it cost for the calibration and profiling target that lets you profile a camera for exposure accuracy.

That's a lot of money, but it was worth every dollar. A properly exposed image, whether shot on film or digital, is so much easier to edit and print. A good meter is a time saver that improves the quality of your work far more than any high-end bag or fancy strap or whatever.
Oh rats! I’ve been using my $9 used Gossen Pilot and ‘Kentucky windage’
to determine exposure for my old film cameras. That and bracketing if I’m not sure. (Your too far north in Indiana to use Kentucky windage Chris, but I grew up just across the river in southern Indiana ’ kentuckyana’ they say locally, so it’s okay for me.)

Old 03-12-2018   #11
BillBingham2

Me, I'm a lighting freak, I love off camera flash, but I have to agree with the perhaps looking at setting up some sort of portfolio library that people could load into a central part of RFF so that we can all look, comment, and learn.

I look at this as an expansion of what we have already, not sure how to implement it. Perhaps section of the gallery or a different gallery. I think the segmentation/separation is critical for ease of use.

B2 (;->

Old 03-12-2018   #12
Franko

Another vote for how and why from Bill.

Modern gear comes, goes and is forgotten with astonishing speed but great photographs can live forever.

Old 03-12-2018   #13
farlymac
PF McFarland

When it comes to gear talk, Bill, for me it's "When is a full kit too much?". Is it when you have half a dozen platforms to support, or when you haul it all out on a shoot, and use three items?

As for non-gear talk, I'd like to know what it was like to work for W. Eugene Smith.

PF

Old 03-12-2018   #14
shimokita
白黒

In my experience the number 3 gear issue is lighting, followed by repairs / maintenance. Non-gear issues for non-professionals seem to be post processing and motivation.

Old 03-12-2018   #15
Rayt

I travel with at least one light meter a Sekonic 308 and of course the phone meter app. For large format I also bring the Pentax spotmeter. Last week I left my Sekonic at home. 12 frames into the roll I realize I set the camera to iso400 film when I was shooting Silvermax. I remember when I was young and extremely poor and had to scrape together money for film I had to train my eyes to read the light and guess exposure. At the time I could guess aperture/shutter speed setting within a stop. Last week it took me 12 frames to realize the light was too low to be shooting at f8 and 1/60. Use it or lose it!

Old 03-13-2018   #16
RichC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pierce View Post
The one thing all photographers have in common is cameras ... Outside of cameras and lenses, from your perspective what gear should we be talking about?
We shouldn’t be talking about more gear! Once we’ve got the important stuff, we should just use it!

What follows getting a camera isn’t more gear but learning - mechanical skills, such as camera control and darkroom/computer development, and “soft” skills, such as visual communication (pictorial composition, graphic design, colour theory, etc.) and learning about visual culture (art history, etc.). And what and how you want to photograph.

The first category is self-evident. You need to know how to use your tools.

The second: well, no picture created by us exists in a vacuum. However random a photograph may seem, there will have been some human agency in its creation. And our culture has a massive influence on how we take photographs: Western, Indian and Japanese photography each have very different and distinctive hallmarks, for example (e.g. Indian studio photographs often have the flattened perspective characteristic of Mughal painting - unlike Western photographic portraits whose ancestral DNA is European Renaissance art). British photography is different from American photography. And that’s before we add ourselves to the mix.

Some photographers are uninterested in all this “baggage” that unconsciously and consciously goes into every photograph they take, but if they learn - and talk - about it, they will make better pictures.

In my case, I bought my first decent camera about 15 years ago, and decided to learn to use it properly. I first enrolled on an evening course, which taught me the basics, after which I joined the local camera club. The club was brilliant - I was around a bunch of folk with similar interests, and I learnt a lot about what makes photographs tick and how to take them. Crucially, looking at, studying and talking about photographs, I slowly became aware of what I wanted from a photograph - which led to me leaving the club. Why did I leave? Camera clubs tend towards traditional “pictorial” photography, but I became drawn to contemporary and conceptual photography. After leaving the club I went on to do a master’s degree in art photography (the university accepted me despite my only art qualifications being gold stars from the camera club!).

So, what should come after getting a camera is learning, not more gear!

-=Rich=-

Portfolio: www.richcutler.co.uk

Old 03-13-2018   #17
Contarama

When toys become tools. It was not easy for me.

Old 03-13-2018   #18
JoeLopez

I much prefer to read about how to use the tools (camera, lens, etc) to create better images. Good point about light meters, but more about how they are used efficiently.

Other gear: Minolta X-570, Nikon F3/T, N90 & D7100, Fuji X100T
Nikkor 50mm f1.8, 28mm f2.8 E, Voigtlander 40mm f/2.0 Ultron SL, Minolta 45mm f2 & 50mm f1.7

My Flickr | My ebay | Instagram

Old 03-13-2018   #19
karateisland

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLopez View Post
I much prefer to read about how to use the tools (camera, lens, etc) to create better images. Good point about light meters, but more about how they are used efficiently.
I second this.

I recently got some of this when I shot a roll of Portra in my Rolleiflex, and ran into quite a few complications using an incident meter. I started a thread to ask about developing, and ahe responders offered a lot of advice about proper metering--advice from experience that I couldn't have found elsewhere on the net. The more discussion like that, the better.

(That being said, I'm also on board for more discussion of images from the greats.)

Old 03-13-2018   #20
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscrawfordphoto View Post

It amazes me to see so many people who will spend $500 for a camera bag but will skimp on a meter, buying the cheapest thing they can find.
I don't know. You have to work a certain type of way for a handheld meter to be useful right? Slow and methodical.

Many built in meters are good enough once you learn how they react. If you work quickly in changing light, the only choice you have is the built in meter or guessing.

In modern digital, I feel that I can expose for the highlights and bring up the shadows in post most of the time. Is it the perfect exposure? Maybe not. Does it get the job done and allow me to get fleeting moments? Yes.

There are many ways to do the same thing and we don't all photograph the same things the same way.

Old 03-13-2018   #21
Bill Pierce

A question for the experts... How do you post a jpg here? Until now I've been text only.

Old 03-13-2018   #22
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
A question for the experts... How do you post a jpg here? Until now I've been text only.

Bill,

I have a post on how to do that:

https://www.rangefinderforum.com/for...d.php?t=163732

Old 03-13-2018   #23
fireblade
Vincenzo.

Having my cameras and lenses that i need, i'm looking at setting up a decent printer and scanner system.

"No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film."

Old 03-13-2018   #24
Doug

Quote:
Hi Bill -- There is a Help subforum in RFF containing a thread named "How to post pictures in threads", here:
https://www.rangefinderforum.com/for...d.php?t=117509

Doug

Old 03-14-2018   #25
Kevcaster

After film, camera and lens I need a sense of purpose
Leica M6 1989 - Leica M3 1955 - no more broken cameras - Zeiss Contarex Cyclops 1967 - no digital - Nikon F F2 F2A - only analogue - Horizon 202 - Hasselblad X-Pan - only silver media - Rolleiflex 2.8F - All now working as they should
Flickr

Old 03-14-2018   #26
Bill Pierce

Just a quick attempt to learn to post pictures...

Old 10-04-2018   #27
Yokosuka_Mike
The Beat Goes On

What would a guy who has everything need… how about a UV filter.

I wanted a 52mm UV filter, and before we go any further/farther whatever, I should preface this post with the fact that I prefer to buy my stuff in a store not online. Silly, yes, but that’s me. Anyway I wanted a UV filter so I went to Yodobashi Camera store in Kamiooka and was quite surprised by how much the filter section had shrunk. A mere ghost of what it used to be. And, then I was faced with the fact that UV filters are apparently a thing of the past. There were only a few UVs hiding in a bargain bin beneath the big modern rack of lens protectors. Let me repeat, “Lens Protectors”!

Holy guacamole! There are more brands and styles of lens protectors than one can shake a roll of film at. The price range boggles the mind. There were lens protectors billed as water, oil and grease proof, there were lens protectors advertised as “solid” whatever that means. My goodness there were lens protectors worth more [priced more] than some of my previously owned lenses. What the hell! I guess I haven't needed a filter for a while; like about 50 years it looks like.

So, I thought, no problem, I’ll go to the Yodobashi camera store in Yokohama - it was worse. They used to have a huge filter section. Not now. It sucks. They have less than half the previous floor space covered with filter racks and 70% of it is for lens protectors. Very expensive lens protectors!

Out of frustration I walked a few city blocks to Yokohama BIC camera, another chain store similar to Yodobashi but with a better stocked dusty bargain bin under the big modern display of lens protectors... and, I managed to snag the 52mm UV filter, a Marumi brand classic “cheap” UV filter. I was so thrilled to get what I wanted that I decided to celebrate, I had a scotch and water in the middle of the afternoon, followed by another.

Well, this is where the story ends. I got my UV filter, I had my little celebration (any excuse will do) and I learned a valuable lesson. What is that lesson? The lesson is that when one gets old/older, the things one took for granted are just not there anymore. Might not be long before people talk about M-mount lenses in terms of the Ford model T. Remember when…

Mike

P.s. Any grammar errors are the fault of the scotch and water, not me.

Old 10-04-2018   #28
Peter Wijninga

I am looking forward to the photos.

Old 10-04-2018   #29
Richard G

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelwj View Post
I think the most difficult decision to make is tripods. I hate buying a new tripod. There are so many models from so many brands at so many price points. Unlike cameras and lenses, the barrier for entry for a manufacturer is low (they aren't that complicated). Unlike bags, the quality of the tripod will influence the results (in many respects, if it carries your gear, the bag is okay). Unlike film, darkrooms, post processing, printing, a tripod doesn't really influence the art - it should be an objective decision. A tripod will in many cases outlive both cameras and lenses, but it's so hard to find objective reviews. All the manufacturers give their own limits which can't be directly compared, and everyone has an opinion - usually the model they use; it's not like people go through that many tripods do they?

I suppose lighting would also fall into the same category (apart from flashes which may be brand specific), but I'm not a big lighting user...
I agree with this. Tripod buying is difficult. And so much misinformation. I finally bought the lightest Gitzo Traveller tripod the 1545T, mainly as it packs so short and I couldn't get lighter if I found the model up was too heavy after all, on the shoulder over several kilometres. It is not. And it is nice and rigid without the centre column up and may be with that, but I have hardly tried. And while so many online maintain it'll be no good for a Hasselblad, with the column down and the last section still telescoped it's solid as a rock. If I'd bought the 2545T and found it too heavy I was looking at doubling my outlay.

But apart from the traditional immutable compromise of height and weight and rigidity, to maximise the compactness of the Gitzo kit this model comes with a ballhead with no friction adjustment setting dial. Never mind.

Old 10-04-2018   #30
Richard G

Quote:

I occasionally re-read Bill's Chapter in the mid-'70s Leica Manual on low light photography. Some of it has stuck in my mind for over 40 years since I first read it:

1. The legendary shooter who can hand-hold 1/2s has his talent confirmed by all the praise he gets for his shots.

2. The Leitz tabletop tripod might be better than most bigger tripods. (Think that was in that chapter....)

3. There is a peak or a pause in the action of an orator where a 1/2s exposure will be unspoilt by subject movement and you have to learn to anticipate that.

So yes: more from Bill, live, in the new century....

Old 10-04-2018   #31
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

I agree with Chris on the importance of good light measurement. I do trust my built-in meters in my Leica and Nikons, but I get the best exposures shooting with a handheld meter. For this reason, my exposures can sometimes be better with the Hasselblad than with the 335mm cameras with built-in meters. When using handhelds, I almost always take an incident reading and cross-check with a reflected reading. More than a slight difference needs to be understood before taking the exposure. I use (not all on the same day) one of my Norwood Directors (incident); my Spectra 251 (incident); Minolta incident meter; Gossen (incident and reflected) and Weston Master IV. The Gossen is handy because it can take both an incident and reflected reading, so only one meter is needed. I'm on the lookout for a Spectra Combi-2, that also has this incident plus reflected capability. Hope they are not too pricey!

An awareness of about what the light reading should be is helpful. It helps to avoid bad exposures owing to a faulty meter reading!

Old 10-04-2018   #32
Contarama

Systems as has been the case for a long time my opinion. Which now include CPUs monitors software cloud storage device storage etc

Bags and tripods are still important. Handheld meters most definitely

Old 10-04-2018   #33
Jamie Pillers
Skeptic

As soon as I get the camera/lens together, all I can think about is subject matter.

Fuji X-H1; X-Pro1; XF10; Polaroid 250 (waiting for an 'art' project)

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old 10-05-2018   #34
Yokosuka_Mike
The Beat Goes On

As an add on to my "What would a guy who has everything need… how about a UV filter", today I found and purchased a NOS Kenko brand 27mm UV filter. It was the last one, I don't think they make them anymore.

I'm happy,
Mike

Old 10-05-2018   #35
jsrockit

For me, the only other thing I need, besides a camera and lens, is a comfortable neck strap... and it needs to be exactly 44cm long... haha.