Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Image Processing: Darkroom / Lightroom / Film

Image Processing: Darkroom / Lightroom / Film Discuss Image processing -- traditional darkoom or digital lightroom here. Notice there are subcategories to narrow down subject matter. .

Brown Stain on Fiber Border?
Old 09-17-2017   #1
Villanova
Minister of Silly Walks

Brown Stain on Fiber Border?

Hi RFF,

Can anyone tell me what this brown stain on my print is? I'm using Ilford 8x10 glossy fiber paper.

My guess is contamination via tongs.

Old 11-01-2018   #2
M. Axel Wikstrom

Looks like contamination of some type. I use my fingers and wash my hands between each print. If I don't wash well enough, then stains like that are a problem.

Old 11-03-2018   #3
Dwig

Brown stains are often caused by exhausted developer. It can be from developer on the tongs that has been exposed to air too long and then transferred to the print.

If the "stains" match the color/tone of the developed portions of the image, they could be pressure marks from the tongs. Mechanical strain can "expose" the emulsion, that is it can alter the silver halide in such a way as to cause it to be developed as if it have been exposed to light. Excessively heavy pressure from the tongs can cause the areas to develop.