Old 11-28-2017   #41
David Hughes
David Hughes

Worse can happen, I went to my local lab and it had gone. Now looks like a lumber room. Spoke to the people next door and they said the staff got a phone call one day and were told to go and that was that...

It's not the only one that's vanished almost overnight.

Regards, David

Last edited by David Hughes : 11-28-2017 at 23:53. Reason: Unwanted CRLF's.

Old 11-29-2017   #42
Ronald M

When people go local for advice and /or buy mail order, the local closes. Stupid photogs did it to ourselves.

Amazon, Zappos, and others are putting everyone out of business. I wear 11A shoes and have not been able to buy locally for 40 years. PITA.

We are self destructing.

Old 11-29-2017   #43
Ronald M

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevierose View Post
We actually have a new camera store here in Ann Arbor, opened by a young fellow, that appears to be thriving. I wrote an article about it here:
http://theonlinephotographer.typepad...-unicorns.html

Steve Rosenblum
We have two in Chicago area, Central near Roosevelt College and PJ`s near DuPage Junior College. Both have photo classes.

Old 11-29-2017   #44
css9450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald M View Post
We have two in Chicago area, Central near Roosevelt College and PJ`s near DuPage Junior College.
PJ's has classes? I should look into them.... Always room for more learning!

Old 11-29-2017   #45
MISH

When in Chicago lets not forget Tamarkin. No better place for me to see and talk Leica (and buy)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4841.jpg (36.2 KB, 24 views)

Old 11-29-2017   #46
Dralowid
Michael

In the days when I used to come over to New York I always tried to visit Olden on the corner of Broadway and 32nd...is it still there?

Old 11-29-2017   #47
JoeLopez

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevierose View Post
We actually have a new camera store here in Ann Arbor, opened by a young fellow, that appears to be thriving. I wrote an article about it here:
http://theonlinephotographer.typepad...-unicorns.html

Steve Rosenblum
I've heard of Cameramall and will certainly pay a visit next time I'm out that way

Other gear: Minolta X-570, Nikon F3/T, N90 & D7100, Fuji X100T
Nikkor 50mm f1.8, 28mm f2.8 E, Voigtlander 40mm f/2.0 Ultron SL, Minolta 45mm f2 & 50mm f1.7

My Flickr | My ebay | Instagram

Old 11-29-2017   #48
JoeLopez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald M View Post
When people go local for advice and /or buy mail order, the local closes. Stupid photogs did it to ourselves.

Amazon, Zappos, and others are putting everyone out of business. I wear 11A shoes and have not been able to buy locally for 40 years. PITA.

We are self destructing.
The online stores didn't do it, the shoppers did it.

Other gear: Minolta X-570, Nikon F3/T, N90 & D7100, Fuji X100T
Nikkor 50mm f1.8, 28mm f2.8 E, Voigtlander 40mm f/2.0 Ultron SL, Minolta 45mm f2 & 50mm f1.7

My Flickr | My ebay | Instagram

Old 11-29-2017   #49
MISH

Central Cameras film counter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4825 (1).jpg (42.5 KB, 36 views)

Old 11-29-2017   #50
mich rassena

I visit my local brick and mortar just often enough to be reminded why I don't go more often. They never try to sell me anything, which normally I'd say is a good thing, except in this case, they actively discourage me from buying anything by being cold and unfriendly, not having anything I want in stock, like film or developer. I waited most of a summer one year for them to get paper, stopped by three or four times, and nothing.

Why should a customer tolerate that? Even a simple, I'll order it for you and it'll be here next week would have been fine. I would have prepaid. But if they can't be bothered, neither can I. I can go to any number of reputable websites punch in my card number and have whatever I want waiting at my doorstep in less than a week. Brick and mortar has to at least try to compete. I'd gladly pay a slight premium just to shop locally, but they have to meet me halfway.

Old 11-29-2017   #51
Emile de Leon

Quote:
Why should a customer tolerate that? Even a simple, I'll order it for you and it'll be here next week would have been fine.
Stores have to make wholesale minimums...orderwise that is..and profit on a single item like paper is well...not going pay for much of anything..esp when stuff like that will just sit...so..the customer takes it personally ..which they shouldn't..as they have other options..

Last edited by Emile de Leon : 11-29-2017 at 07:30. Reason: add

Old 11-29-2017   #52
mich rassena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emile de Leon View Post
Stores have to make wholesale minimums...orderwise that is..and profit on a single item like paper is well...not going pay for much of anything..esp when stuff like that will just sit...so..the customer takes it personally ..which they shouldn't..as they have other options..
So what you're saying is it doesn't make business sense for a photography store to sell photography-related things, like paper. Perhaps we have our answer as to why so many of them are going out of business -- not enough volume to justify having a stock, not enough stock to sell to customers when they do appear.

The thing is, this place sometimes has film, developer, fixer, and paper. And sometimes they do not. So I'm not just barking up the wrong tree, they really do stock these items, just not all the time.

I'm willing to pay for convenience. Often up to the cost online + shipping for a single item just to get it now.

From my perspective, whatever small profit they make on the paper is immaterial. They've also lost all of the future profits on whatever paper I would have bought, fixer, developer, and film. And if I had more money to spend, digital cameras and lenses too.

So good for them if they can afford to blow off a willing customer. They must be doing quite well for themselves.

Old 11-29-2017   #53
ptpdprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mich rassena View Post
...not enough volume to justify having a stock, not enough stock to sell to customers when they do appear.
This seems to be the dilemma. I stopped going to my local store over the past couple of years because they didn't have stuff in stock. DDX developer out of stock. They said it was on order; went back two weeks later and it still wasn't in. Ordered it online for the same price (less tax) and it was delivered to my door two days later. Wanted to buy an Fuji XT2 but they didn't have them in stock. Left them my name and number and ask them to call me when they came in. Never heard from them. Ordered it online a month later for the same price (less tax) and it was delivered to my door two days later. Price really isn't the issue; it's availability. And they wonder why local photographers don't support them, and blame their problems on the internet. Honestly, I don't know how they stay in business.

Old 11-29-2017   #54
css9450

Quote:
Originally Posted by mich rassena View Post

The thing is, this place sometimes has film, developer, fixer, and paper. And sometimes they do not. So I'm not just barking up the wrong tree, they really do stock these items, just not all the time.
My shop is like that, exactly. I suspect they order minimums of everything, because it moves so slowly. So some things sell out while others collect dust on the shelf for years.

Old 11-29-2017   #55
mich rassena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpdprinter View Post
This seems to be the dilemma. I stopped going to my local store over the past couple of years because they didn't have stuff in stock. DDX developer out of stock. They said it was on order; went back two weeks later and it still wasn't in. Ordered it online for the same price (less tax) and it was delivered to my door two days later. Wanted to buy an Fuji XT2 but they didn't have them in stock. Left them my name and number and ask them to call me when they came in. Never heard from them. Ordered it online a month later for the same price (less tax) and it was delivered to my door two days later. Price really isn't the issue; it's availability. And they wonder why local photographers don't support them, and blame their problems on the internet. Honestly, I don't know how they stay in business.
All of what you wrote sounds familiar. I don't know what I really expect of them, except a little hustle. I stopped by a battery store at lunch today and literally heard someone say "We don't have that battery for your laptop, but I can order it for you and it will be here in two days".

I'm not sure the customer went for it, but for the sake of discussion, it doesn't matter. The staff made an effort to satisfy the customer. Since I'm more than capable of ordering anything I need for myself from the Internet, why would I ever step into a store? And yet I do. Brick and mortar stores need to figure out their strengths. Full service and knowledgeable staff are part of the picture. The days are gone where you could put out your shingle and expect the world to come calling. The competition isn't across town, it's across the country, if not global.

In the case of the battery store, I needed a battery for a camera. I knew they were competitive in cost with other local options. And I'm not going to wait a month to get a really cheap one from China. And you know, it didn't occur to me to go to the camera store for a camera battery until writing this comment. I could have. Would they have had it? Who knows. There's a little bit of money they lost again.

Old 11-29-2017   #56
MISH

Talking

Central Camera keeps Rodinal in stock

Old 11-29-2017   #57
css9450

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISH View Post
Central Camera keeps Rodinal in stock
That's good to know, for my next bottle (might be years away yet ha ha!).

The bottle I have came from Freestyle and it shipped via rail from California. I would gladly buy it here even if it costs more.

Old 11-29-2017   #58
Emile de Leon

Quote:
So good for them if they can afford to blow off a willing customer. They must be doing quite well for themselves.
They are not blowing off anyone..any more than you not doing uncle Louie's wedding for free..as you have better things to do..or even for $5 bux gas money..and a sandwich..
In a perfect world..everything you want ..is ordered for you..and you get it...that's Amazon..or B&H..except for Leica M10 that is...
For the little mom and pop..they simply cant order a few hundred $$ of supplies..for your tiny $20- I'm in a hurry purchase..and looky see..I spent a whole $50 - with you..in the past year...and their profits.. after you pay with Visa (3% charge to store ) and then they pay for shipping and the 35% of the profits that the govnt takes..its just not tenable....
Yes..they will tell you to your face..(hoping that some other people order paper in the meantime and then they can piggyback multiple orders) that they will order it..but the reality is..unless there is a big enough demand..your small order will have to wait..but probably never come..
But if you decided to special order a few hundred bux stuff at 1 time ....maybe they would be more cooperative..

Old 11-29-2017   #59
summar

There was a second-hand dealer in Calgary (pop. 1 million) run by a guy who knew everything about film cameras and had an amazing inventory going back to the 1930s (his motto: "If we don't have it, you don't need it"). He was happy to share his knowledge, especially with darkroom work, and one time fixed a rollfilm holder for me free of charge.
His heart wasn't into digital photography and he was slow to begin stocking digital equipment, so not surprisingly he shut his shop a few years ago. His store was the last in town to specialize in secondhand equipment -- now there's just the internet, no chance to handle equipment you're thinking of buying, a loss for Luddites like me.

Old 04-14-2018   #60
dourbalistar

Checking out the goods at Treehouse, a great shop dedicated to film photography in Honolulu, HI.

Leica M5, Canon 50mm f/1.4 LTM, Ilford HP5+.

2017.03.23 Roll #098-00812-positive.jpg
by dourbalistar, on Flickr

flickr

Old 04-14-2018   #61
dourbalistar

They stock chemistry:

2017.03.23 Roll #098-00814-positive.jpg

And spin vinyl:

2017.03.23 Roll #098-00813-positive.jpg

flickr

Old 04-15-2018   #62
ronnies

My Flickr album of photgraphic related shops etc in Edinburgh. The only ones left are Camerabase/Cameratiks, Calumet (now branded as Wex), A&M, JP Camera Repair and the Jessops in Castle Street.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/789754...57648515358173

Ronnie

Old 04-15-2018   #63
kuuan
loves old lenses

Neelkamal Studio
by andreas, on Flickr, CV Heliar f4.5/15mm, Ricoh GXR M, Nepal 2013

the interior:

Neelkamal Studio by andreas, on Flickr, CV Heliar f4.5/15mm, Ricoh GXR M, Nepal 2013

Old 04-17-2018   #64
airfrogusmc

Now closed

Old 04-21-2018   #65
Big Ursus

You can see Calgary's Camera Store in some of their YouTube videos. They seem to be doing well -touch wood- AND they have the best selection of photo books in western Canada!

Old 04-22-2018   #66
dourbalistar

At the Leica Store San Francisco. Photographer Pamela Gentile was in the store that day, during her exhibition.
http://gallery.leicastoresf.com/exhi...film-festival/

Leica M5, Canon 50mm f/1.4 LTM, Kodak 400TX.

2017.05.14 Roll #107-01037-positive.jpg

flickr

Old 10-05-2018   #67
dourbalistar

A few more from Treehouse in Honolulu, all taken with Leica M5, Canon 50mm f/1.4 LTM, Kodak Portra 400.

2017.03.21 Roll #097-25790021.jpg

2017.03.21 Roll #097-25790016.jpg

2017.03.21 Roll #097-25790017.jpg

flickr

Old 10-06-2018   #68
lawrence

Mr Cad in London, near Victoria Station:
12 Upper Tachbrook Street,
London,
SW1V 1SH

Bought some D76 and Microphen there a couple of months ago.

Old 10-06-2018   #69
splitimageview

Precision Camera in Austin (a sponsor of this forum) used to be in a tiny, tiny hole-in-the-wall location on Guadalupe Street, a few blocks north of the university.

Today, it's huge and modern, and they have a good selection of film stuffs.

Old 11-21-2018   #70
dourbalistar

Kitamura Camera in Shinjuku, Tokyo. Bought two bricks of Fujicolor Industrial 100 film from the display in front of the store (184 per roll at the time), and immediately loaded a roll into my XA2.

Olympus XA2, Fujicolor Industrial 100.

2016.07.28 Roll #083-25800002.jpg

flickr

Old 11-21-2018   #71
Deardorff38

"The Camera Store" in Calgary Alberta, still the hub of pros and amateurs alike. I've known Peter Jeune & Julian Ferreira well....for decades from when they were clerks in long-gone stores. In fact I got my Durst 138 from Peter. All things digital, & a big used section. (Come to think of it, my Deardorff special came from them). A huge book section. Leicas new & used. Darkroom supplies (thank goodness). Online sales too.Great staff. Major supporters of photography in Calgary and the Bow Valley. Supporters of photo shows by the Canmore Artists & Artisans Guild. Always bringing great folks to town....like Wm Albert Allard. Beer or coffee & camera meetups around the city. No one like them. The Camera Store, great people with a passion for photography.

Old 11-21-2018   #72
Guth
Observational Documenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitimageview View Post
Precision Camera in Austin (a sponsor of this forum) used to be in a tiny, tiny hole-in-the-wall location on Guadalupe Street, a few blocks north of the university.

Today, it's huge and modern, and they have a good selection of film stuffs.
I purchased my camera from Precision back in 2000. Back then they were located on N. Lamar. That shop was actually pretty large, but nothing like their digs now it would appear. Holy cow.

Old 11-22-2018   #73
HHPhoto

Looking globally, quite a lot new brick&mortar shops for traditional film photography have opened during the last two years. Especially in North America, Europe and South East Asia. Shops with used gear, mostly combined with a film lab, and often even offering workshops, photowalks etc.

Just two current examples:
1. Seattle:
https://www.shotonfilmstore.com/
2. Berlin:
http://clickundsurr.de/

And then you have globally all the new Fujifilm Wonder Shop photo stores. All of them have a strong focus on instant instax film photography. But an increasing number of them is also offering standard Fujifilm (negative and reversal film; e.g. the stores in NYC, Toronto, Barcelona), and some of them even offer film processing and silver-halide printing in their stores (e.g. NYC, Toronto).

Cheers, Jan

Old 11-22-2018   #74
mconnealy

Camera & Darkroom has shops in Albuquerque and Santa Fe. Good selection of quality used cameras as well as film and processing supplies.

Last edited by mconnealy : 11-22-2018 at 04:16. Reason: added url

Old 11-22-2018   #75
Skiff

Scotland, Edinburgh:
https://www.cameratiks.co.uk/
Lots of used film photography gear (cameras, slide projectors, darkroom gear), gear repairs, lab service.

And a bit south in Yorkshire, Leeds:
https://wycameras.com/
Brick&mortar film camera shop with online service, too.

Old 11-22-2018   #76
muser53
MUSER53

In Berkeley California it's the looking glass. Excellent sales, service, classes and rental darkrooms.
https://lookingglassphoto.com/

Old 11-22-2018   #77
dmr
Registered Abuser

Rockbrook Camera. Three locations, one near you. (Assuming you're in the Omaha/Lincoln area, that is.)

Seriously, this is the sole surviving stand-alone camera merchant in the area. They do seem to be holding their own and their walk-in prices are surprisingly competitive with B&H mail/web prices.

Old 11-22-2018   #78
B-9
Devin Bro

Michigan seems to a healthy hide away for camera stores.

It’s about a 7hr drive from bottom to top of the lower pen, and I would say you have a very good chance of being no more than say a 1.5 hours from a camera store anywhere you are. I am about 45minutes from a old bricknmortar store, with many many more available if I’m willing to take an afternoon driving.

A favorite of mine is Ernest Camera Shoppe

www.ernestcamera.com
1600 Pine Grove Ave,
Port Huron, MI 48060

A very interesting old bank building that is basically one large open dome roof structure. It’s chalked full of stuff... maybe excessively for the small size. Darkroom supplies, film, limited selection of used gear (SLR mostly), and in house printing but unfortunately no developing as their machine was down when I visited.

If your in Michigan, it’s worth the drive, right under the bridge to sarnia. I actually stumbled across the place after meeting a RFF member from Toronto.

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram

Old 03-19-2019   #79
css9450

Assel's was a shop in downtown Aurora IL. I'm not sure how long its been closed, but I do recall finding useful stuff there, such as #5 flashbulbs (I bought an entire case!) back about 25 years ago.

Nikon S2, Nikkor-P 8.5cm/f2, Ilford Delta 100, Rodinal 1:50