Old 11-24-2018   #41
skucera

While not a pocket camera, my favorite point-n-shoot is my Olympus IS-3dlx.

I've grown to like it so much that gave away a Minolta Weathermatic 35DL to one of my daughters, and I sold my Stylus Epic. The IS-3 has a very good zoom lens, and with the big flash mounted and the on-board flash open, there are three strobe flashes to illuminate any scene, even some surprisingly long outdoor flash shots. It's really a lot of fun, even if it is more akin to carrying a full-size auto-focus SLR around.

Scott
1969 Canon New Canonet QL17-L
1976 Konica Autoreflex T3n
1977 Canon 110ED 20
1979 Minox 35 GL
1979 Olympus XA
1980 Pentax Auto 110
1987 Polaroid Spectra
1996 Canon EOS Elan IIe

Old 11-24-2018   #42
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

For the short time I had it, the Contax T2 was pretty dang cool.
I've owned three Nikon L35AF (or their later versions) and have gotten great results. Have one right now which is waiting to get into the rotation.
The Olympus XA1 was neat.
I currently have a Pentax IQZoom 140 which is really cool and I'll use till it dies.
I have my eye on a Canon Sure Shot 120 Classic but I've never used one. I like the metal build though.
While it may not be considered a point and shoot, the king of them all in my opinion, is the original Konica Hexar. Black, AF with silent mode. I miss mine so much.
There has never been anything really like it since and may never be.
I may pick up a Sony RX1 to fill the digital gap though.

Phil Forrest

Old 11-24-2018   #43
farlymac
PF McFarland

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmr View Post
Promise ya won't laugh, please? I know this is heresy to some.

For several years my carry-everywhere camera was an Olympus Stylus Zoom. I even bought a new one when the original one started falling apart, literally.

Then, maybe 8-9 years ago or so, I got a hand-me-down Kodak DX4530 {d-word} camera. Yes, the original owner "upgraded" to something with more megapixels.

I took a number of shots with it and discovered, surprisingly, that I liked it!

The one issue (at the time) was that I was told that the only way to get the photos from the camera to the computer was to connect this cable, wait, launch their photo-copy application, wait, wait, wait, select the photos I wanted to copy and hit the "copy" button and wait, wait, wait and wait some more for the actual copy.

Then I learned (maybe here, it was one of the other boards) that I could simply buy a SD card reader, take the card out of the camera, plug it into the PC, and copy in a few seconds!

As I shot it more and more, I realize I liked it more and more!

The pros of this camera are that it's small, but not too small to handle.

It has a real optical zoom viewfinder! I **NEED** a viewfinder. I just can't compose holding a camera out in front of me, particularly on a sunny day.

It runs FOREVER on one battery!

And (LOL) it's so low on the pecking order that NOBODY is gonna dare steal it!

I think it produces great photos! Really. I daresay that the color rendition is somewhat Kodachrome-ish (see below) or at least Astia-ish.

It's only 5 MP, but I think that it produces cleaner 8x10s than does the newer and fancier Fuji HS30, which, to me, anyway, looks a bit "rough" on sharp edges on a clear 8x10 print.

It has a small built-in flash that actually does a great job (see bottom photo) when there's not enough light indoors. I've used it on occasion as fill outdoors as well and that works fine too.

Would I do any serious work with it? No. Next question please.

It's still my carry-everywhere camera, even though lately I've been carrying around the new Fuji X-T20 more and more. It's larger and heavier but actually quite light and carry-able.
I saw a bunch of trash one day laying in the snow next to a local fishing spot, so I started to pick it up. Among it was a Kodak C713 Zoom. I took it home, and cleaned it up after letting it dry out some. Slipped a couple of AA alkaline cells in it, and went shooting.

100_0713 by P F McFarland, on Flickr

100_0715 by P F McFarland, on Flickr

100_0729 by P F McFarland, on Flickr

I gave it to one of my brothers (this was in 2010), and as far as I know, he's still using it. So that was my favorite "found" P&S.

PF

Old 11-25-2018   #44
David Hughes
David Hughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by skucera View Post
While not a pocket camera, my favorite point-n-shoot is my Olympus IS-3dlx.

I've grown to like it so much that gave away a Minolta Weathermatic 35DL to one of my daughters, and I sold my Stylus Epic. The IS-3 has a very good zoom lens, and with the big flash mounted and the on-board flash open, there are three strobe flashes to illuminate any scene, even some surprisingly long outdoor flash shots. It's really a lot of fun, even if it is more akin to carrying a full-size auto-focus SLR around.

Scott
Hi,

Those early Olympus bridge cameras are brilliant and dirt cheap. Plus they took them seriously and so there's a lot you can do with them if you've got the instruction manual. There's a wide angle converter for some models that gives you a 28mm wide.

Regards, David

Old 11-25-2018   #45
dmr
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by farlymac View Post
I saw a bunch of trash one day laying in the snow next to a local fishing spot, so I started to pick it up. Among it was a Kodak C713 Zoom. I took it home, and cleaned it up after letting it dry out some. Slipped a couple of AA alkaline cells in it, and went shooting.

I gave it to one of my brothers (this was in 2010), and as far as I know, he's still using it. So that was my favorite "found" P&S.
IIAC that is the same series as the one I have, but without the optical finder.

I know people put down the lower-end digitals, but there are a few of them that perform surprisingly well and most definitely do not fall within the "crappy camera" definition.

Old 11-25-2018   #46
wjlapier

I've used many of the Olympus zoom compact cameras and still think they are one of the better pocketable cameras with a great lens. This mju III wide 100 zoom is a recent purchase and I expect it to perform as well as the others I've owned. I purchased this one mainly for the 28mm side of the zoom.

Old 11-25-2018   #47
Swift1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Thanks to u I bought one! Full set, like new. Put a roll of film thru it, put it away. Hard to use when I got a Rollei QZ. That camera is incredible, full auto and manual control, shutter speed up to 1/8000, lens matches up to my Leica 28 asph when I tested them side by side.
Quote:
Prod 20s

I wasnt into the Klasse as from what I read you couldnt access the full range of features all the time - weird aperture/shutter speed thresholds and a meter that doesnt read below 4ev
Well, to be fair, comparing the Minolta PROD-20s to a Rollei QZ is a bit like comparing a 1989 Mazda 323 to a 2000 Mercedes S500

If you're gonna shoot, shoot, don't talk. The Ugly
My Flickr
My Website

Old 11-25-2018   #48
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift1 View Post
Well, to be fair, comparing the Minolta PROD-20s to a Rollei QZ is a bit like comparing a 1989 Mazda 323 to a 2000 Mercedes S500
Nothing wrong with a Mazda!

I love the styling of the Prod20, and will keep it around for non photo people to use as all you do is point and shoot as there are no options!

Old 11-25-2018   #49
Huss

BooBoos approves of the Rollei!

Old 11-25-2018   #50
emraphoto

Quote:
Interesting similarity to the new Zeiss offering

Old 11-25-2018   #51
mod2001
Old school modernist

Quote:
Ups, did you loose the lenscap with the remote release?

Juergen

Old 11-25-2018   #52
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by mod2001 View Post
Ups, did you loose the lenscap with the remote release?

Juergen
No I put that away. It fits so loosely that it would get lost, so I just replaced it with a $1 that fits much tighter.
It's the one thing that's nuts about this camera! Everything is so cool, but for some reason they could not figure out how to make a lens cap!

Old 11-25-2018   #53
PRJ
Another Day in Paradise

The Ricoh GR1 was the best point and shoot ever made in my opinion, but they are horribly unreliable. I'd bet that in another ten years there won't be any that are working unless someone finds one in their grandfathers closet. The controls were perfect on it and it was small enough to put in a jeans pocket.

I have a bunch of point and shoots, but the one I find myself using the most these days is the Contax TVS. Little bit of zoom, but the lens is nice. Plus it takes filters, flash mode is persistent once set (no auto flash!) and it is made out of titanium. The viewfinder is nice too. On top of all that, they don't cost that much.

For the basic ones, the Mju II is hard to beat aside from the auto flash. It is fast and the lens is nice although they are starting to get too expensive for what they are. The Mju ! is a super steal these days. A little slower than the Mju II but the image quality is just as good. That will probably be the next camera to shoot up in value.

My nomination for best lens on worst camera is the Minox 35 EL.

The Yashica T4 is my nomination for the most overrated. I've had one since the 90s and it still works to it's credit, but other cameras are just as good.

Old 11-25-2018   #54
B-9
Devin Bro

Those Rolleis are really cool!

Some other Rolleis to look out for:

Prego AF (big mini clone)
Prego Micron (deluxe Ricoh R1s)
Z-Up 120 Zoom

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram

Old 11-25-2018   #55
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

Don't rule out scale or zone focus compacts.
Many are nearly as fast to use as AF models.

Chris

Old 11-26-2018   #56
B-9
Devin Bro

I have one scale focus camera left, the Ricoh 500ST. Im not sure if I have ever put batteries in it.

Show me more photos!

Old 11-26-2018   #57
LKSC

I've had three Fuji Natura Blacks. It is quirky, but there is nothing like it, and it is accurate enough for slide film (in this example black and white slide).

Old 11-27-2018   #58
pvdhaar
Zoom with your feet!

I've only had a couple of autofocus film P&S over the years; Leica Minilux, Konica Hexar, Olympus Mju II and Mju I. Only the Mju I has remained and is still used occasionally..

Peter

My Hexländer Gallery

Old 11-27-2018   #59
Ste_S

With the bottom falling out of the digital compact market and the prices of premium film compacts skyrocketing, surely one of the manufacturers must be looking at reviving a film compact model ? Ricoh for one must have looked at the logistics for re-launching the GR1 ?

Old 11-27-2018   #60
giganova

The Olympus MJU II 35/2.8 is amazing: super tiny, has a bright viewfinder, turns on very quickly when you open the clam shell with one hand, has a flash, and the lens is absolutely outstanding!

I also have a Minox 35 GT-E and an ML, but they are not very reliable and turning the aperture and focus rings on this tiny lens is a challenge.

I did a little shootout to see which lenses are better.

Old 11-29-2018   #61
B-9
Devin Bro

Today I managed to familiarize myself the internal workings on the Ricoh R1/s/e

Fairly simple to take apart, and I can already see a few weak points in the design.

Waiting for a donor body as I’m in need of a new power button. Edit: Found a donor!

Old 11-29-2018   #62
taomei

Japan Camera Hunter / Bellamy Hunt is working on launching one soon, apparently it's on its way toward prototyping / testing.

I've had quite a terrible GAS addiction despite the skyrocketing prices, although they seem to be leveling / plateau'd. I've had a ton of them over the years I've dived back into film. Current fav is a Contax T, but the Minolta TC-1 and Ricoh GR21 also come along when I need a wide. Shot below is from the GR21 on Natura1600 (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste_S View Post
With the bottom falling out of the digital compact market and the prices of premium film compacts skyrocketing, surely one of the manufacturers must be looking at reviving a film compact model ? Ricoh for one must have looked at the logistics for re-launching the GR1 ?
Studying the Bag Selection by Letao Tao, on Flickr

Old 11-29-2018   #63
B-9
Devin Bro

From what I read he is TRYING to stay away from crowdfunding...good man!

Old 11-29-2018   #64
dtcls100

Contax T2
Olympus Stylus Zoom

Used both and have taken thousand of photos with them. Both have great lenses. Still have the Contax 20 years later, but the Stylus unfortunately broke after about six years of heavy use, with the flash cover significantly blackened from heavy flash use.

Old 11-29-2018   #65
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by giganova View Post
The Olympus MJU II 35/2.8 is amazing: super tiny, has a bright viewfinder, turns on very quickly when you open the clam shell with one hand, has a flash, and the lens is absolutely outstanding!

I also have a Minox 35 GT-E and an ML, but they are not very reliable and turning the aperture and focus rings on this tiny lens is a challenge.

I did a little shootout to see which lenses are better.

Interestingly I just noticed that the results of your test seem to be biased by sharpening settings in post production (or scanning).
If you look at the sky sections where essentially you would just see the film's grain and nothing else - they should all look the same as all you are seeing is grain.
But the Leica's grain is clearly softer and less contrasty, while the others look like they have the sharpness level pumped up. Thereby making their lenses seem like they are sharper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by giganova View Post
1) Leica Summaron 35mm f/2.8:

2) Olympus Mju II 35mm f/2.8:

3) Minox 35 ML 35mm f/2.8:

4) Nikon One Touch 35mm f/2.8:

Old 11-30-2018   #66
rhl-oregon
Cameras Guitars Wonders

I am commencing a Saturday Night Massacre aka selloff of 35mm film cameras and their lenses (see Classifieds for examples).

But I am keeping the Klasse S because it is smarter than I am—and if I am dumbly forgetful enough to be seduced by the sentimental allure (followed invariably by disappointment) of scanning postage stamp negs, the Klasse will give me exactly the sort of film party I want, and I won’t mind the wry morning-after at the scanner.

http://rhl.photography

Old 11-30-2018   #67
DanskDynamit

it used to be the Olympus mju-II but until the 3rd died in my hands I gave up on them. I think 20 years are too many for this little gem.

Old 12-04-2018   #68
analoged

Contax TVS has been my choice for many years, I treat it like a fixed 28mm lens camera with a zoom if I really need.

IIIasync, 5cm Summar, 5cm Sonnar, 3.5cm Elmar, 13.5cm Sonnar

Leicaflex SL, Leicaflex SL2, R6.2, 28mm Elamrit Ver II, 80mm Lux, 100mm Apo Macro Elmarit, 180 Elmarit, 400mm Telyt, 560mm Telyt

Epson R-D1

Old 12-04-2018   #69
ACullen

My only p&s is the Pentax Espio Mini with its 32mm triplet. The triplet may sound unpromising but delivers pretty good results. Extreme edges not so good but minimal cropping gets rid of this. It’s small and very light. Exposure /AF lock plus a couple of program exposure modes, make for an attractive package . If I want more control and high quality I pack a proper camera!!

Old 12-04-2018   #70
jacquot

Olympus XA, although I'm still trying to find a water resistant Nikon my wife had that was amazing. She hid it somewhere.

Old 12-04-2018   #71
Contarama

Black Canonet is my idea of a p&s

Old 12-04-2018   #72
einszwei7

The Konica big mini BM-201 is pretty awesome. It has 3 flash off modes including exposure compensation of +-1.5 stops that you can set while it is turned off which means it is ready to shoot without flash when you turn it on!
I would not drop it though, build quality is not the greatest and prices are sometimes crazy with BM-201's going for over 100€ on ebay.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G950F mit Tapatalk

Old 12-05-2018   #73
GLAUMAX

I used before the Nikon 35TI but it was not that compact.

Two years ago, I found a Contax T3 brand new (old stock) with guarantee.

Waouw !! So compact and the results are gorgeous (at least as good as a Leica Summicron 35 in my opinion).

For me the best compact camera ever

Old 12-05-2018   #74
rbiemer
Unabashed Amateur

Pentax UC-1 has been my favorite P&S camera for a while now. A bit surprised that it's only been mentioned twice.
I find it to be, for me, functionally VERY similar to the Olympus Stylus but I like the boxier shape of the Pentax. It's easier to , well, point and shoot with for me.
Generally a bit less $ for one of them than the price for a Stylus or Epic.
Which is good because I sold it earlier this year and will be looking to replace it early next year.

If I want a zoom, I have a Canon Sure Shot Classic 120. That camera is much bigger, much louder--though the noise may be just my particular camera showing its age--and has much better flash options than the UC-1.

And, I have a fondness for a Konica disposable that I will classify as a P&S: the Konica Wai-Wai. This was a single use camera that has a 17mm lens and truly minimal controls: film advance and flash on or off. I still have two that I unloaded the first roll after shooting them and have reloaded with various other films over the years. Haven't used 'em lately, might have to reload them and make some photos this winter. I got pretty good results with Kodak BW400CN film in it, not sure what I'll load now.
I think the flash is powered by a single AA battery that was, I believe, soldered in. And replacing that is a bit fiddly. With the added thrill of not shorting the flash contacts with your hand!

Rob

You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
--Mark Twain

Old 12-05-2018   #75
markjwyatt

I used Nikon Action Touch cameras for a while (weather sealed and good to ~10' underwater). Had two, both failed in time. I now have a Konica BigMini HG-300. It seems to work, but the buttons on the rear are recessed and I need a pointed object to activate them. I may give it a try. I like shooting B&W, so no filters...

Old 12-06-2018   #76
Ste_S

Picked up a Fuji DL-500 yesterday. Considering it's quite cheap, am quite impressed. 28mm f3.5 OR 45mm f5.5. Flash Auto, Fill Flash or off. Infinity focus. +2 stop exposure compensation. (Partial ?) AF on half button press. Bigger viewfinder with nice bright frame lines than most of the other cheaper end of compacts.

Key will be the quality of the images I get from the two focal lengths, but quite impressed in use so far.

Old 12-09-2018   #77
Sega

I've had piles of them over the years and can't remember whats still there bar a couple but the 35mm I use the most is a Konica Pop as I can fit it in my pockets and its 80's styling appeals to me greatly.

Digital wise if its a spur of the moment I'll just use the smart phone in my pocket, a Nokia 6 2018 atm or I'll carry my old Lumia 1020 as it's still better than most current phones for photos and will go full manual.
Purpose camera I used to have a Nikon Coolpix L810 in red (I was working nights and stayed up waiting for the store to open to get it), I loved that Camera alot but after I upgraded to a DSLR I stopped using it so much and had to sell it to cover fuel for getting to work.

Old 01-22-2019   #78
GarageBoy

I'm not paying what people are charging for a "premium" point and shoot these days, especially since I do not trust their electronics (especially with the Minilux and Ricoh's reputations)

My Canon Rebel T2 and a 40STM will have to suffice

Old 01-22-2019   #79
B-9
Devin Bro

Yeah, the Ricoh film cameras are time bombs.

Ive tried to fix my R1, swapping parts back and forth from 2 donor cameras.

A big waste of time and money.

All of about 50$ into this project (about 1/3rd retail for a working one)

I count myself lucky I did not waste 150$ on one to just die in my hands.

Old 01-22-2019   #80
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

While some models are particularly prone to premature failure most AF point & shoot cameras fail in time.
Remember the majority were cheap consumer products (under)built to last a relatively short useful life.

Chris