Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Nikon RF

Nikon RF This forum is dedicated to Nikon Rangefinders: the Nikon One, Nikon M, Nikon S, Nikon S2, Nikon SP, Nikon S3, Nikon S4, and Nikon S3M, Nikon S3 2000, Nikon SP 2005. Plus the ONLY production camera ever made in Nikon Rangefinder mount WITH TTL metering ... the Voigtlander Bessa R2S.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 01-15-2019   #281
jsrockit
Moderator
 
jsrockit's Avatar
 
jsrockit is offline
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Santiago, Chile
Age: 46
Posts: 19,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
A new Xpan like camera should be made. A contax T3. Z Ikon. There is demand for them.
The demand is there due to short supply, but who will be there when the supply is overflowing? A company just can’t set up shop to make a few thousand cheap cameras. Anything you are proposing won’t be cheap. It won’t help anything. Old cameras are selling due to nostalgia.
 

Old 01-15-2019   #282
css9450
Registered User
 
css9450's Avatar
 
css9450 is offline
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
Can i try another RF? They all increased their prices sometimes 100%.
Try a Canon RF. Just as nice as a Leica (maybe even better than a Leica) but without the price increases. Seriously undervalued in today's market.
__________________
Nikon S2, S3, F, F2, F3, FM2, FA, N90S, D80, D7000, D750, Sony a6000, Canon IIf, Leica CL, Tower type 3, Zorki 4, Vito B, Perkeo II, Rollei 35....
 

Old 01-15-2019   #283
colker
-
 
colker is offline
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: rio de janeiro
Posts: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
Hmmm, I detect a pattern here...
Denial?
 

Old 01-15-2019   #284
colker
-
 
colker is offline
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: rio de janeiro
Posts: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
Try a Canon RF. Just as nice as a Leica (maybe even better than a Leica) but without the price increases. Seriously undervalued in today's market.
Cool. . I am interested in those serenars as well.
 

Old 01-15-2019   #285
colker
-
 
colker is offline
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: rio de janeiro
Posts: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
The demand is there due to short supply, but who will be there when the supply is overflowing? A company just can’t set up shop to make a few thousand cheap cameras. Anything you are proposing won’t be cheap. It won’t help anything. Old cameras are selling due to nostalgia.
Just look at Bessa and Zeiss Ikon. If their prices used are higher than new, being fabricated 10yrs ago only.. then there is demand.

Leica is still selling new film Ms. According to the logic here Leica should have shut down. Yet they are selling 4k film cameras. Whatīs wrong w/ those buyers??? They should buy used!!
 

Old 01-15-2019   #286
leicapixie
Registered User
 
leicapixie is offline
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto.Canada
Posts: 1,600
The biggest problem with film read mechanical cameras with some electronics is the problem of future services!
When I was still servicing watches and timing instruments,
average age of repairers was 65...like me.
Very shortly after my (65) b'day i had a heart excitement
and was effectively retired..
The situation with cameras and lenses is identical..
We all know all the service people left.
Here in Toronto, Gerry has now stopped working.
Using my Leica cameras means I must look at New Jersey or Wetzlar,
for official work.
States its Sherry, DAG or Youxin, who by reports do stunning work.
Nikon or Canon do not have any service people geared to mechanical..

Is the M6 built cheaper?
Erwin Puts and Erik say no..but the exp.counter
in my M6TTL is faulty due to usage of "plastic" spring.
Paint peeled off shutter dial..Flare the big surprise.
Faulty M new models not funny.
My M3 1155...'1967, one of last production arrived without some parts,
in rangefinder. 3 signatures in warrant and final test..
It happens in hand built items, as did a critical screw in a Rolex Chronometer, missing.
Came with so called observatory test..
It would have been damaged in 1st few minutes, never mind real test..

Buy used and hope for best.
If it ain't broken, don't fix.
 

Old 01-15-2019   #287
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker
 
Phil_F_NM's Avatar
 
Phil_F_NM is offline
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Age: 43
Posts: 3,959
So if film is a niche product, sold to a niche market, why does that suggest there will be an increase in use of film outside that market? Simple transitive property here. A. B. C. But in this case, C doesn't fit if it conforms to A and B.
Most people don't want to think about making their images, they want to click and go. This is why point and shoot cameras dominated the 80s and 90s. The best selling film cameras ever were and are disposables.
So if most people just want to click a photo, share it with others and move on to the next thing, they have their phones. You're confusing haptics and YOUR lived experience as a photographer with what 40% of the population of the earth wants. Your arguments are fallacious because you have a combination of too much interest, too much nostalgia and too narrow a view of the greater economy. In decades prior, people only used film exclusively because they had to. Otherwise they needed to draw, paint or sculpt the subject.
I'm not saying at all that film is dead. I am saying that new production, quality film cameras from big manufacturers whose boards have to answer to investors will never get past considering it. Ie: if Fuji knew/knows so much, why do we see their increasing concentration on the digital line and not a dedicated 35mm film camera?
Phil Forrest
 

Old 01-15-2019   #288
colker
-
 
colker is offline
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: rio de janeiro
Posts: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by leicapixie View Post
The biggest problem with film read mechanical cameras with some electronics is the problem of future services!
When I was still servicing watches and timing instruments,
average age of repairers was 65...like me.
Very shortly after my (65) b'day i had a heart excitement
and was effectively retired..
The situation with cameras and lenses is identical..
We all know all the service people left.
Here in Toronto, Gerry has now stopped working.
Using my Leica cameras means I must look at New Jersey or Wetzlar,
for official work.
States its Sherry, DAG or Youxin, who by reports do stunning work.
Nikon or Canon do not have any service people geared to mechanical..

Is the M6 built cheaper?
Erwin Puts and Erik say no..but the exp.counter
in my M6TTL is faulty due to usage of "plastic" spring.
Paint peeled off shutter dial..Flare the big surprise.
Faulty M new models not funny.
My M3 1155...'1967, one of last production arrived without some parts,
in rangefinder. 3 signatures in warrant and final test..
It happens in hand built items, as did a critical screw in a Rolex Chronometer, missing.
Came with so called observatory test..
It would have been damaged in 1st few minutes, never mind real test..

Buy used and hope for best.
If it ain't broken, don't fix.
I would rather pay 4k on a new Leica M or maybe 1.5k on a new ZI than buy a used M6.

I like NEW cameras.
 

Old 01-15-2019   #289
colker
-
 
colker is offline
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: rio de janeiro
Posts: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_F_NM View Post
So if film is a niche product, sold to a niche market, why does that suggest there will be an increase in use of film outside that market?
Phil Forrest
Young consumers.

Hip hop was once a niche musical market.

Anything adopted by an enthusiast bunch of youngsters has a huge chance to grow and when it happens in the major cultural centers the chance to expand worldwide is also huge. This is a basic rule.
 

Old 01-15-2019   #290
css9450
Registered User
 
css9450's Avatar
 
css9450 is offline
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
I want another leica body. I expected to pay between 600 and 900 bucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by colker
I would rather pay 4k on a new Leica M or maybe 1.5k on a new ZI than buy a used M6.
So you'd like to pay 600-900 but would go as high as 4000 to avoid having to settle for a used camera? That's quite a price range.
__________________
Nikon S2, S3, F, F2, F3, FM2, FA, N90S, D80, D7000, D750, Sony a6000, Canon IIf, Leica CL, Tower type 3, Zorki 4, Vito B, Perkeo II, Rollei 35....
 

Old 01-15-2019   #291
Out to Lunch
Registered User
 
Out to Lunch's Avatar
 
Out to Lunch is offline
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vietnam
Posts: 5,312
I live in a city with, at least 10 million inhabitants. There is a 35mm film revival but during the past ten years or so, the entire 35mm infrastructure was wiped-out. Today, there are not more than one handful of shops, mostly owned/managed by enthusiasts, that will develop and scan film. It's a small niche market for enthusiasts.
 

Old 01-15-2019   #292
jsrockit
Moderator
 
jsrockit's Avatar
 
jsrockit is offline
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Santiago, Chile
Age: 46
Posts: 19,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
Just look at Bessa and Zeiss Ikon. If their prices used are higher than new, being fabricated 10yrs ago only.. then there is demand.

Leica is still selling new film Ms. According to the logic here Leica should have shut down. Yet they are selling 4k film cameras. Whatīs wrong w/ those buyers??? They should buy used!!
They are no longer made and not many people are selling theirs. This means that people are selling a few hundred at good prices and you are extrapolating the data to mean that there is big money to be made. I don’t think so. It’s not as easy as you think to pull this off. Leica is a luxury brand with boutique stores... that is how they pull off still making M film cameras. They are not relying on pure volume. They rely on myth and mystique.
 

Old 01-15-2019   #293
aizan
Registered User
 
aizan's Avatar
 
aizan is offline
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Torrance, CA
Age: 37
Posts: 4,584
The niche for film is growing, especially among younger people. Go to a protest and there are film cameras everywhere. Will it grow enough for Canikon? Probably not. For Cosina, Zeiss, and new startups? I’m thinking yes.

Millennials’ and Gen Z’s tastes are influencing digital camera design in a distinctly filmic way, too. The big camera companies are in touch with what they want, even if it’s unrelated to film demand.
__________________
Ugly Cameras
 

Old 01-15-2019   #294
colker
-
 
colker is offline
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: rio de janeiro
Posts: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
They are no longer made and not many people are selling theirs. This means that people are selling a few hundred at good prices and you are extrapolating the data to mean that there is big money to be made. I don’t think so. It’s not as easy as you think to pull this off. Leica is a luxury brand with boutique stores... that is how they pull off still making M film cameras. They are not relying on pure volume. They rely on myth and mystique.
I never said there was big money. I said itīs a niche market and today niche markets are part of the moving economy. Those markets also represent numbers.

Leica is a boutique store? Corporate giants can also have different business models and also have boutique stores. Diversifying, catering to different markets.. thatīs how companies adapt to keep going.
You want a this or that kind of situation but something different is happening.
When young people adopt a consumer habit be it part of their creative lives, corporations pay attention because where young people is where things grow. If they donīt pay attention to youthīs consumer habits, companies die.
 

Old 01-15-2019   #295
colker
-
 
colker is offline
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: rio de janeiro
Posts: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by aizan View Post
The niche for film is growing, especially among younger people. Go to a protest and there are film cameras everywhere. Will it grow enough for Canikon? Probably not. For Cosina, Zeiss, and new startups? I’m thinking yes.

Millennials’ and Gen Z’s tastes are influencing digital camera design in a distinctly filmic way, too. The big camera companies are in touch with what they want, even if it’s unrelated to film demand.
Bingo.
 

Old 01-15-2019   #296
colker
-
 
colker is offline
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: rio de janeiro
Posts: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Wijninga View Post
I live in a city with, at least 10 million inhabitants. There is a 35mm film revival but during the past ten years or so, the entire 35mm infrastructure was wiped-out. Today, there are not more than one handful of shops, mostly owned/managed by enthusiasts, that will develop and scan film. It's a small niche market for enthusiasts.
Yeah... but who needs shops? Buy everything on line. Sell on line. Develop at home. Send somewhere to be developed.
The old film life is not coming back. A new workflow w/a different audience is coming.
 

Old 01-15-2019   #297
colker
-
 
colker is offline
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: rio de janeiro
Posts: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
So you'd like to pay 600-900 but would go as high as 4000 to avoid having to settle for a used camera? That's quite a price range.
I said something entirely different.. completely different.

Hey. Film is dead. Ok? You won the internet.
 

Old 01-15-2019   #298
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker
 
Phil_F_NM's Avatar
 
Phil_F_NM is offline
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Age: 43
Posts: 3,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by aizan View Post
The niche for film is growing, especially among younger people. Go to a protest and there are film cameras everywhere. Will it grow enough for Canikon? Probably not. For Cosina, Zeiss, and new startups? I’m thinking yes.

Millennials’ and Gen Z’s tastes are influencing digital camera design in a distinctly filmic way, too. The big camera companies are in touch with what they want, even if it’s unrelated to film demand.
The last two rallies I went to, just last month, there was one photographer using a film camera at one (myself) and two at the second one (I was one of them.) I am no longer a reporter but I still canvas the crowd like I am one, looking for shots. I pay attention to what people are shooting with, especially if it's not a phone. There was ONE Leica digital at the second rally, owned by my old landlord.
Yes, Leica is built upon exclusivity and mystique. That is why they have overall low volume sales in comparison to companies such as Fuji, Sony and Nikon. Leica's prices reflect that low volume as well as create the exclusivity itself. Not very many people can afford a new digital Leica and one of the new lenses. Heck, most people can't afford anything by Leica, used or new. Leica abandoned working photographers and is now concentrating on selling the red dot to affluent people who would just as soon use their iphone as use a $7000 camera with a $9000 lens.
Phil Forrest
 

Old 01-15-2019   #299
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker
 
Phil_F_NM's Avatar
 
Phil_F_NM is offline
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Age: 43
Posts: 3,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
So you'd like to pay 600-900 but would go as high as 4000 to avoid having to settle for a used camera? That's quite a price range.

Phil Forrest
 

Old 01-15-2019   #300
Out to Lunch
Registered User
 
Out to Lunch's Avatar
 
Out to Lunch is offline
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vietnam
Posts: 5,312
Quote:
Yeah... but who needs shops? Buy everything on line. Sell on line. Develop at home. Send somewhere to be developed.
The old film life is not coming back. A new workflow w/a different audience is coming.
Sure, just keep your head in the sand. Buy, sell and develop at home is a a reality that exists in your head, only. I'm done with this thread.
 

Old 01-15-2019   #301
colker
-
 
colker is offline
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: rio de janeiro
Posts: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_F_NM View Post
The last two rallies I went to, just last month, there was one photographer using a film camera at one (myself) and two at the second one (I was one of them.) I am no longer a reporter but I still canvas the crowd like I am one, looking for shots. I pay attention to what people are shooting with, especially if it's not a phone. There was ONE Leica digital at the second rally, owned by my old landlord.
Yes, Leica is built upon exclusivity and mystique. That is why they have overall low volume sales in comparison to companies such as Fuji, Sony and Nikon. Leica's prices reflect that low volume as well as create the exclusivity itself. Not very many people can afford a new digital Leica and one of the new lenses. Heck, most people can't afford anything by Leica, used or new. Leica abandoned working photographers and is now concentrating on selling the red dot to affluent people who would just as soon use their iPhone as use a $7000 camera with a $9000 lens.
Phil Forrest
I agree on Leica and always avoided anything Leica due to prices but most of all to smugness of the cult around it.
Otoh itīs truly well built stuff. BUT... Cosina Voigtlander is the real deal. By taking the RF concept (small ergonomics, classic lens rendition, mechanical manual focus) and taking it to my level of economics which i call "reality", Cosina made RF film photography real.

I would pay 4k out of a whim for a Leica MP as a crazy act of spending.. but my reality is based on Noktons and Ultrons, not Summicrons, Summilux or Noctilux. No Chinese barrel distortion kings as well.

If Bessa comes up w/ a new camera or Zeiss Ikon, i will buy it.
 

Old 01-15-2019   #302
colker
-
 
colker is offline
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: rio de janeiro
Posts: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Wijninga View Post
Sure, just keep your head in the sand. Buy, sell and develop at home is a a reality that exists in your head, only. I'm done with this thread.
LOL!!!!!!
Film market exists only in my head.. because you donīt see mortar and brick shops so you can buy a can of Kodachrome.

Bwahahahahhahahahahahaha.. sure: online economy is a mirage. Because you say so.
This is the funniest thing i read.
 

Old 01-15-2019   #303
splitimageview
Registered User
 
splitimageview is offline
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
I am talking about supply and demand. Our favorite philosophy. I want another leica body. I expected to pay between 600 and 900 bucks. Itīs more like 1000 and 2000. I donīt see prices raising like that in any other field.
Can i try another RF? They all increased their prices sometimes 100%.
Is it really your fave philosophy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
Every time i call on cameraīs silly prices i get: supply and demand... as if itīs the law gravity.
Supply is easily manipulated.

There are artificially inflated prices in every market w/ investors backing off when price is far from value. I see it everyday in the photo market. Hasselblad Xpan prices? Silly. Hasselblad 500cm? Good value.
So which is it, artificially inflated prices, or supply vs demand?

How many of the currently trendy cameras are actually getting sold?

Bear in mind, supply vs demand is very fluid. Rising prices in the spot market reflect the (a) spot supply and (b) spot demand.

If there are only 10 Contax T3s on the market at any given moment, and 11 serious buyers, that's enough to raise the price.

But how many of these are actually getting sold, over time? Maybe 1 a day, on the world's largest marketplace of used photo gear (ebay?)

Is 1 a day enough to get manufacturer interest?
 

Old 01-15-2019   #304
splitimageview
Registered User
 
splitimageview is offline
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
The demand is there due to short supply, but who will be there when the supply is overflowing?
Yahtzee!

What happens if there are suddenly a flood of brand new Contax T3s on the market, but only a relative handful of buyers?
 

Old 01-15-2019   #305
colker
-
 
colker is offline
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: rio de janeiro
Posts: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_F_NM View Post

Phil Forrest
As if every single one of you would not have cameras ranging from 500 to 4000 dollars.
Bwahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahah!!!!

I should be annoyed but the farce is funny.
 

Old 01-15-2019   #306
colker
-
 
colker is offline
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: rio de janeiro
Posts: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitimageview View Post
Bingo.

What happens if there are suddenly a flood of brand new Contax T3s on the market, but only a relative handful of buyers?
How come when every single Contax T3 sells?
No one is manufacturing a line of cameras without doing a bit of market and distribution research. I say the signs point to a sellers market.. not a buyers market but thatīs me. How i observe things. How i deal w/ logic and math. Pessimism can always trump reality.
 

Old 01-15-2019   #307
colker
-
 
colker is offline
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: rio de janeiro
Posts: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitimageview View Post
Is it really your fave philosophy?

So which is it, artificially inflated prices, or supply vs demand?

Both

How many of the currently trendy cameras are actually getting sold?

All

Bear in mind, supply vs demand is very fluid. Rising prices in the spot market reflect the (a) spot supply and (b) spot demand.

Yes. Itīs fluid.. but no one ever promised an easy game to any corporation

If there are only 10 Contax T3s on the market at any given moment, and 11 serious buyers, that's enough to raise the price.

If? How did you do your research?

But how many of these are actually getting sold, over time? Maybe 1 a day, on the world's largest marketplace of used photo gear (ebay?)

Just do your research.

Is 1 a day enough to get manufacturer interest?
You tell me
Sorry. i donīt know how to reply to each question. Best i could do.
 

Old 01-15-2019   #308
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker
 
Phil_F_NM's Avatar
 
Phil_F_NM is offline
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Age: 43
Posts: 3,959
Blind optimism and delusion is just that.
There simply is not the mass market worldwide for any manufacturer to retool and create a new film camera to appeal to a large audience at an affordable price. Except the disposable. Film lives there.
Feel free to be offended or however you may otherwise. Fantasy does not drive the global market. Maybe in a basement, playing Dungeons and Dragons but not out here. EBay is not reality either nor is it a reliable snapshot or predictor of a global market.
Phil Forrest
 

Old 01-15-2019   #309
splitimageview
Registered User
 
splitimageview is offline
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,979
You're missing the point.

Rising prices of specific camera models, stating yet again, has nothing whatsoever to do with film sales.

Second, a small number of cameras available for sale, with a slightly larger number of serious buyers, is all it takes to raise the price of said camera.

This could be a matter of 10 for sale and 11 buyers. This is nothing any manufacturer is going to get excited about.

For the sake of argument, let's the Contax T3 keeps rising up to $4,000. This does *not* imply that there are more cameras being sold. It only implies that there are a larger number of serious buyers (spot demand) than the current (spot) supply.

This horse is dead, time to move on.

Good luck, I hope someday you can buy your new camera.
 

Old 01-15-2019   #310
colker
-
 
colker is offline
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: rio de janeiro
Posts: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_F_NM View Post
Blind optimism and delusion is just that.
There simply is not the mass market worldwide for any manufacturer to retool and create a new film camera to appeal to a large audience at an affordable price. Except the disposable. Film lives there.
Feel free to be offended or however you may otherwise. Fantasy does not drive the global market. Maybe in a basement, playing Dungeons and Dragons but not out here. EBay is not reality either nor is it a reliable snapshot or predictor of a global market.
Phil Forrest
Oh yeah? Tell Ferrania and Ilford they are blind optimists. Tell everyone who increased their sales they are blind optimists.

I am not offended. I am LMAO. Stubborness can be funny.

People at kodak, ferrania, leica, Ilford put their money where their mouth is. Thatīs how the economy rolls. Thatīs how real deals roll.

I rather go w/ those companies and expect cameras to shoot their film. Thatīs my go to logic: follow the money.
You may opt for a different logic.
 

Old 01-15-2019   #311
Ted Striker
Registered User
 
Ted Striker's Avatar
 
Ted Striker is offline
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Wijninga View Post
Well, one reason as to why Fuji might stay in the 35mm game is that it's in their name...Fujifilm. It's not Fujimedical or Fuji instantfilm or Fuji whatever. It's Fujifilm.
INSTAX film alone keeps that name real. You can bet Fuji will discontinue 400H the moment they can't make money from it.
 

Old 01-15-2019   #312
Ted Striker
Registered User
 
Ted Striker's Avatar
 
Ted Striker is offline
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
We are bored with digital. Thatīs how i see it. Film is being talked about, used, loved because digital stalled. I want the risk of shooting film. The risk of developing. Manual focusing. The engagement of film.
Agreed. 100%.
 

Old 01-15-2019   #313
css9450
Registered User
 
css9450's Avatar
 
css9450 is offline
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,915
Any chance this thread can be made a Sticky? Many of us might want to come back in five years and see which predictions came true, if any.
__________________
Nikon S2, S3, F, F2, F3, FM2, FA, N90S, D80, D7000, D750, Sony a6000, Canon IIf, Leica CL, Tower type 3, Zorki 4, Vito B, Perkeo II, Rollei 35....
 

Old 01-15-2019   #314
Ted Striker
Registered User
 
Ted Striker's Avatar
 
Ted Striker is offline
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
Too bad for them. Letīs buy from someone else. Leica, Cosina, Lomo..who is next?

This is not Soviet Russia. If there is a market, a company will fill it.
That's just it. There is nowhere else, aside from one company that I know of, Central Camera downtown.

There has been no demand at all to cause someone to try to fill it.
 

Old 01-15-2019   #315
colker
-
 
colker is offline
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: rio de janeiro
Posts: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitimageview View Post
You're missing the point.

Rising prices of specific camera models, stating yet again, has nothing whatsoever to do with film sales.

Second, a small number of cameras available for sale, with a slightly larger number of serious buyers, is all it takes to raise the price of said camera.

This could be a matter of 10 for sale and 11 buyers. This is nothing any manufacturer is going to get excited about.

For the sake of argument, let's the Contax T3 keeps rising up to $4,000. This does *not* imply that there are more cameras being sold. It only implies that there are a larger number of serious buyers (spot demand) than the current (spot) supply.

This horse is dead, time to move on.

Good luck, I hope someday you can buy your new camera.
Itīs you who is missing the point which is : film sales are growing.

People are buying cameras to shoot film.

Most of us donīt want to trust sellers on ebay the camera is working. Most of us would rather buy a new camera which we know wonīt break. I donīt give a F about collecting. I want things to work. I donīt want personal relationships w/ DAG, Krauter or any other camera fixer due to constantly shipping old stuff to CLA. I rather keep shooting.. i rather put up w/ 4k than buy an old Leica M6.

Most of the people are like me. We donīt live for fixing old cameras. We shoot photos. Thatīs how we have fun. Film is FUN.

There are thousands of youngsters shooting film and film companies are making a buck.

I made this thread here because itīs a rangefinder forum. Not old camera on ebay forum.. just camera forum.
 

Old 01-15-2019   #316
splitimageview
Registered User
 
splitimageview is offline
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,979
Too bad you've presented no evidence of this yet, after 9 pages.

You *have* shown that the film industry isn't dead, which we already knew.
 

Old 01-15-2019   #317
colker
-
 
colker is offline
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: rio de janeiro
Posts: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitimageview View Post
Too bad you've presented no evidence of this yet, after 9 pages.

You *have* shown that the film industry isn't dead, which we already knew.
Do your research. HTP came and said of his experience in Photokina. You donīt want to talk facts. You want to argue on the internet.
The writing is on the (virtual) wall. Film is expanding its presence in young photographers' lives. You need cameras to shoot. Used is just an option, not the norm in any industry. Naturally we will have film cameras.

You want evidence? Do your research. The only evidence presented to the contrary is the fact that photo shops are closed and labs are closed.
New labs are also opening. Not everywhere... but there is an emerging market. Now.. street shops?? Who buys in street shops? We buy on line. Another reason to not buy used. We buy unseen.
 

Old 01-15-2019   #318
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker
 
Phil_F_NM's Avatar
 
Phil_F_NM is offline
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Age: 43
Posts: 3,959
So what is happening here is that you're projecting or assigning your values (wanting a new camera, wanting to process yourself, wanting to send your film away, wanting to buy sight unseen) to a wider market which you erroneously think you represent. This is seen by your use of WE but without presenting data and an accurate sample space "we" is just an arbitrary group. An opinion.
Phil Forrest
 

Old 01-15-2019   #319
aizan
Registered User
 
aizan's Avatar
 
aizan is offline
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Torrance, CA
Age: 37
Posts: 4,584
This Is Why Film Photography Is Making a Comeback

Maybe I’ll dig up annual reports tonight, but the evidence that film sales have been increasing for several years is there.
__________________
Ugly Cameras
 

Old 01-15-2019   #320
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker
 
Phil_F_NM's Avatar
 
Phil_F_NM is offline
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Age: 43
Posts: 3,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by aizan View Post
This Is Why Film Photography Is Making a Comeback

Maybe I’ll dig up annual reports tonight, but the evidence that film sales have been increasing for several years is there.
I don't doubt that at all. I'm in doubt of the rosy future projected that we will see high quality, affordable, reliable film cameras made for a mass audience.
Phil Forrest
 
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:13.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.