Leica M3 and M6 protective film
Old 01-21-2019   #1
amey

Where can I buy pre-cut protective film for M3 and M6?
I have helicopter tape that I applied and VERY carefully cut around edges but it looks clumsy and because its edge to edge peels off easily.
Any suggestions welcome!

Old 01-21-2019   #2
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

Is the camera an "investment" or is it a camera? If it is an investment, stick it in a vault and visit it every month to run through the shutter speeds a few times.
There is nothing you can really put on the camera that will look good and not cause uneven wear or even trap grit and actually increase wear in a specific spot.
If it is a camera, use it. I took both an M4 and an M2 to Iraq in 2004 and the only marks that were made (on the M4) were from me taking it apart after a rocket attack forced me to fall on my camera and strip the winder. I repaired it but left tool marks. That said, use it like it is meant to be used, not like some cherished heirloom of fragile glass. If you're careful with the camera it will weather heavy use much better than kid gloves.
Phil Forrest

Old 01-21-2019   #3
amey

fair comment, I won't bother

Old 01-21-2019   #4
Mute-on

Good call. They look and feel much nicer naked anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 01-21-2019   #5
davidnewtonguitars
Family Snaps

Tending to drag my camera over the asphalt regularly, I ran a strip of gaffer on the base plate, and cut on opening for the latch. It works great.

Old 01-21-2019   #6
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

I never seen m Leica in original exterior to be worn out and ugly.
I have seen plenty of ugly painted, re-skinned, gripped and soft-released.

Old 01-21-2019   #7
slantface
Jordan Dickinson

I had some of this from years ago, but I can't remember where I got it, and it's kind of killing me....

I bought a few sets of this protective film for the top plate (the half where the inscription/meter would go), and the bottom plate, similar to a stock later M model as it came out of the box. It was a clear vinyl type sticker but was pre-cut and works great. In any case, I'll be checking in on this thread to see if someone else can locate these.

Old 02-03-2019   #8
insuo
The Ballet or The Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by slantface View Post
I had some of this from years ago, but I can't remember where I got it, and it's kind of killing me....

I bought a few sets of this protective film for the top plate (the half where the inscription/meter would go), and the bottom plate, similar to a stock later M model as it came out of the box. It was a clear vinyl type sticker but was pre-cut and works great. In any case, I'll be checking in on this thread to see if someone else can locate these.
Is this what you're after?

http://www.mgrproduction.net/product...p-for-leica-m6

Old 02-03-2019   #9
peterm1

I did not know that it was possible to buy pre cut tape for this purpose. I have in the past used a quite robust / rigid clear film with stickum on the back that was designed for use with computer tablet screens and readily / cheaply available on the internet. If memory serves me correct each pack had 3 sheets in the pack and each individual sheet sufficed for perhaps 3 or 4 camera protectors. Being comparatively thick (as far as such films go) it took quite a bit of beating. My present M8 has a half case so I do not need to bother too much but I have a separate base plate with built in hand grip that I use now and then and it still has its factory protective film in place, which I leave on as it is of course, not used with a half case.

To facilitate the making, I first made a cardboard template which was reusable and made the cutting out process for new pieces of film quite easy when this became necessary. I accepted that the film eventually gets grubby and the edge eventually peels away a bit then that is kind of the purpose - to take the knocks in place of the the camera.

I have never been one to knock my cameras about. People who take pride in how disreputable their Leica M looks are totally alien to me - cameras always get scars of some sort of course, but I cannot comprehend those who take any pleasure in those scars - always seems a bit like telling a solider "never mind wearing your body armour - you will probably get shot or blown up anyway). And as for those people who take emery paper to the edges of their camera just for the street cred of owning a camera that is brassed......................well its their equipment I suppose, but...........

if you want to protect your camera my advice is go for it. The camera will most likely get some scratches anyway but why invite them.