Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Point-N-Shoot 35mm Cameras

Old 01-23-2019   #41
Sumarongi
Registered Vaudevillain

Re batteries:
If you're confused that old cameras that were made for the use of mercury batteries are problematic, I can tell you: There's a lot confusing and even irritating stuff on the web. In my experience, mercury batteries can basically always be replaced with recent batteries, e.g. so called "hearing aid batteries".

Re "Point and Shoot" generally:
One thing to consider is that the more electronics in the cameras, the worse the shutter lag. -- The more a film camera is mechanical, the faster it usually is.

Old 01-23-2019   #42
David Hughes
David Hughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by newjerseysurf View Post
Which of the recommended cameras take easy to find (cheap) batteries?
The Olympus XA2 takes two SR44's and you can find them in any supermarket around here or buy online for a lot less.

The Konica C35 AF takes two AA's and the older C35 (a RF) takes a mercury PX675 bu there's Wein cells available for it.

As for the Olympus Trip 35 "No Batteries Required" as it's solar powered...

Regards, David

Old 01-23-2019   #43
Sumarongi
Registered Vaudevillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hughes View Post
(...) SR44's and you can find them in any supermarket around here or buy online for a lot less.
The same here re "hearing aid batteries" -- most supermarkets have them, and certainly all drug stores

See also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zinc%E2%80%93air_battery

Old 01-23-2019   #44
newjerseysurf

anecdotally since i've become obsessed over the last two weeks in finding a decent P&S, i called ~10 local charity shops - mostly Goodwill's - asking them about their stock of cameras. surprisingly, all obliged in telling me...i think there was exactly one, non-desirable Olympus priced at $19.99.

Old 01-23-2019   #45
David Hughes
David Hughes

Quote:
anecdotally since i've become obsessed over the last two weeks in finding a decent P&S, i called ~10 local charity shops - mostly Goodwill's - asking them about their stock of cameras. surprisingly, all obliged in telling me...i think there was exactly one, non-desirable Olympus priced at $19.99.
It's a difficult time. Wait until the end of February when people are starting to see the dust and dirt and do a bit of spring cleaning and throwing out to charity shops. Then they will start to appear well, they usually do...

Anyway, I'll wish you luck with your quest.

Regards, David

Old 01-23-2019   #46
NickTrop

Cheap? Available? Konica C35 AF or C35 AF2 (same camera). Again. Here's what I like about this camera. I've had 3 point-n-shooters over the years where the advance motors died. I'd avoid, personally, anything with a film advance motor in it. This camera has a manual film advance. These little tessar lenses are pert much the same.

Now. If you want a -GREAT- point-n-shoot. An overlooked pro-level point-n-shoot and my personal all time fave? Pentax PC35AF (not the AF M one, same camera but with an film advance motor). Cracking little 35/2.8 lens, NO autofocus motor to break, and made solid of metal. Fantastic point-n-shoot. Harder to find, more expensive. However, people overlook this one.

Old 01-23-2019   #47
Scope79

Konica MG with 35mm f3.5 Hexanon lens which is very sharp.

and..
a very nice German engineered quality camera that still overlooked today and can be found relatively cheap is Agfa Optima Sensor 1035 or 535 , very sharp optics and easy to use.

Old 01-23-2019   #48
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scope79 View Post
Konica MG with 35mm f3.5 Hexanon lens which is very sharp.

and..
a very nice German engineered quality camera that still overlooked today and can be found relatively cheap is Agfa Optima Sensor 1035 or 535 , very sharp optics and easy to use.
I have the Agfa Optima 1535 - with the RF - but I can still scale focus it like the 1035. All these scale focus cameras are not P&S cameras. P&S cameras are cameras that you just P&S. The camera does the rest.

Old 01-23-2019   #49
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archlich View Post
P&S prices are crazy today. The most expensive are the small fixed focal length cameras from the '90s (i.e. Stylus, Big Mini, the AF600 and the ever so expensive Yashica T4/T5). If you don't wanna pay $100+ at ebay or off the shelf, stick with scale focus cameras, zoom P&S (like some later Olympus Mju: models and Pentax Espio series), or larger '80s cameras. Deals may still be present if you frequent local thrift stores and flea markets. Being patient on ebay is a good choice too.
This is very true. Fixed focal length P&S cameras cost much more than zoom ones. I currently have two Nikon zoom P&S cameras, which cost $20 each in like new condition (bought a week ago!). They both are so much better than my Olympus Mju/Stylus which is much much more expensive now. The Nikons nail focus and exposure. My Mju would often focus on something else, but you don't realise this until you get the film back.
The advantage is size, but only for pocket-ability, not handling.

There are millions of zoom P&S cameras out there for $20 and under!
Just took this with one of my Nikon ZoomTouch cameras:

Old 01-24-2019   #50
newjerseysurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
This is very true. Fixed focal length P&S cameras cost much more than zoom ones. I currently have two Nikon zoom P&S cameras, which cost $20 each in like new condition (bought a week ago!). They both are so much better than my Olympus Mju/Stylus which is much much more expensive now. The Nikons nail focus and exposure. My Mju would often focus on something else, but you don't realise this until you get the film back.
The advantage is size, but only for pocket-ability, not handling.

There are millions of zoom P&S cameras out there for $20 and under!
Just took this with one of my Nikon ZoomTouch cameras:
for right or for wrong, what's keeping me away from the zooms (even given their relative attractive price) is the zoom is one more thing to break and the IQ just doesn't seem to be there in many cases.

Old 01-24-2019   #51
littleearth

All these P&S are getting really old at this point. No point in spending much !
Even the zoom ones will become expensive eventually. Now is the right time to grab a couple of those.

The Rollei Prego 90 was highly praised back in the day. The schneider lens was tested against the premium P&S (Contax T2, TVS, Yashica T4) and did really well. It's still cheap !

Old 01-24-2019   #52
Scope79

Quote:
I have the Agfa Optima 1535 - with the RF - but I can still scale focus it like the 1035. All these scale focus cameras are not P&S cameras. P&S cameras are cameras that you just P&S. The camera does the rest.
I suggested Optima as alternative and from my personal experience, these are faster to shoot with than most zoom p&s cameras and give much better results.

Quote:
for right or for wrong, what's keeping me away from the zooms (even given their relative attractive price) is the zoom is one more thing to break and the IQ just doesn't seem to be there in many cases.
yes , also zoom compacts have slow optics, so you will need to use faster iso film, but as you pointed out, image IQ is not there.

Old 01-24-2019   #53
markjwyatt

I will add a vote for the Konica Bug Mini. I ended up with one and it is a nice camera- perhaps a little cumbersome (hard to access buttons on rear), but good quality.

I also used to use the Nikon Action Touch cameras. They are weather sealed + (good to 10' underwater). Longevity is questionable (I went through 2 of them in about 15 years), but they took nice pictures. I took them in boats canoes, wherever without worrying about them. They were rugged when working.

Old 01-24-2019   #54
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scope79 View Post
I suggested Optima as alternative and from my personal experience, these are faster to shoot with than most zoom p&s cameras and give much better results.

yes , also zoom compacts have slow optics, so you will need to use faster iso film, but as you pointed out, image IQ is not there.
Don't get me wrong, I love Optimas. Just aren't P&S cameras.
Zooms are slow on the far end, but most are almost as fast as fixed focal length P&S on the wide end. I pretty much use these at the wide end with the zoom being an emergency bonus if needed.

Anyway, point being drop $20 on a high end P&S zoom. It's only $20!... 'you' may be surprised.

Old 01-24-2019   #55
Huss

Quote:
All this stuff may break at any time. They all are old cameras, made cheaply unless you up for something like a Leica/Contax/Nikon 35ti and if you read into those, those are failing too.
Best indication is the cosmetic condition. If it looks like new/close to new, it's going to be low mileage and have a greater chance of lasting.
These aren't pro cameras designed to chew through thousands of rolls of film.

Old 01-24-2019   #56
goamules

I will second the 1980s Minolta Hi-matic AF2. Lever wind so fewer electronics to go bad. I used one back then in several continents, and it always took fantastic photos.

Old 01-24-2019   #57
newjerseysurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjwyatt View Post
I will add a vote for the Konica Bug Mini. I ended up with one and it is a nice camera- perhaps a little cumbersome (hard to access buttons on rear), but good quality.

I also used to use the Nikon Action Touch cameras. They are weather sealed + (good to 10' underwater). Longevity is questionable (I went through 2 of them in about 15 years), but they took nice pictures. I took them in boats canoes, wherever without worrying about them. They were rugged when working.
The BM looks awesome but they’re asking $150+ on eBay.

Old 01-24-2019   #58
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

If you spring for a Pentax pc35af, I have a parts camera if you need spare bits.

Phil Forrest

Old 01-24-2019   #59
seany65

Slightly off-topic, but I sit here knowing full well that I am "out-IQ'd" by any camera I own.

Old 01-24-2019   #60
Sumarongi
Registered Vaudevillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by seany65 View Post
Slightly off-topic, but I sit here knowing full well that I am "out-IQ'd" by any camera I own.
I know what you mean. My dear great-grandma, in her 90s and already half blind, certainly made better photos with a simple Triplet-lens than I will ever make with a sophisticated Planar or the like...

Old 01-24-2019   #61
newjerseysurf

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_F_NM View Post
If you spring for a Pentax pc35af, I have a parts camera if you need spare bits.

Phil Forrest
What’s a “fair” price on those?

While I’m at it...what price would you guys be comfortable paying for some of the more “cult” cameras (XA series, Infinity, etc.)?

Old 01-24-2019   #62
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

Quote:
What’s a “fair” price on those?

While I’m at it...what price would you guys be comfortable paying for some of the more “cult” cameras (XA series, Infinity, etc.)?
I don't think I would pay more than $25 for a working Pentax PC35AF. I have three of them now, two working, one with a dead AF module. They are a crapshoot though. Buy a few and expect one to work.
As for a "cult" camera, I don't buy into that. Since I've seen MJUs go for $5 I don't want to pay more. I'd probably go as high as $25 for a working specimen. I paid $12 for my XA and that is the perfect price for that camera. Its a slippery slope though. You buy 4 duds at $25 each and you could have had a Leica IIIc that just needed service, maybe a curtain and a beamsplitter. After all is said and done, you're under $250 for a fresh camera that will possible last the rest of your life.
Part of the fun for me is finding the cameras cheap and either repairing them or having them work outright when purchased. I've had far more success with P&S cameras than I've ever had with Yashica Electro 35s, for example. I think I have owned maybe 7 of those and only a GTN worked right out of the gate. All have needed repair. Canonets have been the most successful mechanical/electrical camera for me of that stripe. Back to the topic at hand though, I think if it is meant to be then so be it. If I find a good deal on a working P&S camera, then great. I don't go out of my way to get them at ridiculous prices though.
Phil Forrest

Old 01-24-2019   #63
StanMac

Quote:
It actually uses the DL223A/CRP2 battery.
Which still isn't cheap.

But here's a question. Looking at that battery, it seems to just be two CR123 batteries packaged in a plastic case. Is it possible to replace the CRP2 with two CR123s? The advantage is that CR123s are available as rechargeable.
Removing just enough plastic from the casing of the CRP2 to allow popping the batteries out is on my project list for a dead CRP2 pack in my desk drawer. I’m wondering if the terminals that are fully encased have a spot welded strap on them, and if that strap is embedded in the case some way, which means really butchering the pack up so much it would be useless.

Stan

Old 01-24-2019   #64
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanMac View Post
Removing just enough plastic from the casing of the CRP2 to allow popping the batteries out is on my project list for a dead CRP2 pack in my desk drawer. I’m wondering if the terminals that are fully encased have a spot welded strap on them, and if that strap is embedded in the case some way, which means really butchering the pack up so much it would be useless.

Stan
Please report back when you do this, as it really seems that that is all the CRP2 pack is - two CR123s in special case.

Old 01-25-2019   #65
Skiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleearth View Post
The Rollei Prego 90 was highly praised back in the day. The schneider lens was tested against the premium P&S (Contax T2, TVS, Yashica T4) and did really well. It's still cheap !
+1.
There is one in our family: Bought in the 90ies and still going strong! One of the best P&S of that time with a zoomlens.
Another recommendation:
Leica Z2X:
Compact, (very) good lens and good exposure meter. I have even shot some transparency films with mine with very good results.

Old 01-25-2019   #66
David Hughes
David Hughes

Hi,

I usually spend a pound or two on P&S's because I figure I won't then burst into tears if they turn out to be U/S. Now and then I'll stretch that to a fiver if I think it worth the risk on (say) a mju-II or XA etc. I've bought awful cups of coffee for that sort of price and so it's my yardstick.

FWIW, Last week I bought two at 2 pounds and yesterday one at 3 and one at 7 as it was in the box with everything (but the battery will probably need replacing soon).

Really it boils down to what cash you can waste without crying balanced against a bit of fun/profit with the good ones.

BTW, I mentioned earlier that cameras should have manuals, lens caps and so on. They can cost a lot, lot more than the camera.

Regards, David

Old 01-25-2019   #67
santino
eXpect me

Canon MC. Small, good lens, wide range of shutter speeds, af lock and clam shell design.

Old 01-25-2019   #68
Austintatious

Quote:
Canon MC. Small, good lens, wide range of shutter speeds, af lock and clam shell design.
These are now fetching from $80.00 to $100.00 USD on Flea-bay. A bit more than the OP
wanted to go.
It seems that most film cameras have taken a price hike recently on that site

RF's : Bessa-R ,FED II, Olympus 35RC , Kiev 4AM,Argus C-3
Other :Minolta XD-11, Minolta SRT102, Pentax Spotmatic ,Nikon N80, Yashica-Mat 124G, Rolleicord Va
Digital :Nikon D7100, Sony NEX 6, Panasonic LX-5

Old 01-25-2019   #69
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austintatious View Post
These are now fetching from $80.00 to $100.00 USD on Flea-bay.
I should funnel all my thrift shop finds to my brother in Melbourne. If I get enough in one package we could make a killing.
Phil Forrest

Old 01-25-2019   #70
santino
eXpect me

I paid 2 euros.
I forgot to mention that it takes two AAA batteries.

Old 01-25-2019   #71
newjerseysurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austintatious View Post
These are now fetching from $80.00 to $100.00 USD on Flea-bay. A bit more than the OP
wanted to go.
It seems that most film cameras have taken a price hike recently on that site
it seems almost anything with a brand name and a prime lens is astronomical.

granted i don't know if they are all actually FETCHING those prices. but my god.

Old 01-25-2019   #72
wjlapier

The Fujifilm Silvi F/2.8 is pretty high now. 24-50mm lens is 2.8 on the wide end and 5.6 on the other. I have one and it's tiny but shoots very well. For the price I'd take this over the 2.8 Oly 35 anyday. The mju III Wide 100 is 28mm on the wide end.

Old 01-26-2019   #73
David Hughes
David Hughes

Somewhere it was mentioned in a thread about plastic cog wheels and metal ones. They seem to be a weak spot in a lot of cameras. So looking for cameras with metal ones should be part of the exercise. I vaguely think the XA range were held up as an example that should last mechanically.

Regards, David

Old 01-26-2019   #74
newjerseysurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hughes View Post
Somewhere it was mentioned in a thread about plastic cog wheels and metal ones. They seem to be a weak spot in a lot of cameras. So looking for cameras with metal ones should be part of the exercise. I vaguely think the XA range were held up as an example that should last mechanically.

Regards, David
I’ve narrowed my search to an XA series

Old 01-26-2019   #75
MacReady

Quote:
Please report back when you do this, as it really seems that that is all the CRP2 pack is - two CR123s in special case.
It is, with a connection spot welded to one side of them.

Tried to fix an Olympus recently that had soldered in batteries. A truly stupid design choice that required breaking a crp2 open.

Old 01-26-2019   #76
David Hughes
David Hughes

Quote:
I’ve narrowed my search to an XA series

Hi,

This site is worth a visit but you have to click on the red button to get in:-

http://www.diaxa.com/

FWIW, I disagree with what he/she says about the XA1...

Regards, David

Old 01-26-2019   #77
giganova

You forgot the Minox 35 cameras! Total stealth, you can't hear the shutter and film advance. The GT-E is the best of the bunch. I have two of them and one is always with me.

The Olympus MJU is an outstanding camera. If your budget permits, get the one with the f/2.8 lens.

I also have a Nikon L35AF. All the above have excellent image quality, but keep in mind that the ones with automatic film advance are loud, that's why I prefer the Minox.

Old 01-26-2019   #78
shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-9 View Post
The Konica's are bomb proof. I should get another. I had a 35WB YEARS ago.
I've been wanting one of them for awhile too. The prices seems to have actually come down for the 28mm models. I have an original version 28mm on the way. The original model has the 8 element in 7 groups lens design, later ones are 5/5. The original models viewfinder sticks up more from the top plate and the lens itself sticks out further than the grip. Later models the lens barely protrudes from the body. They look like their finders are bigger though at least from the front.

Shawn

Old 01-28-2019   #79
Huss

The Nikon L35 AW is waterproof down to 9 feet, has a cracker 35mm 2.8 lens, and is AF w/ mf override. Ruggedly made and quiet because the rubber seals and heavier casing muffles everything..

Old 01-29-2019   #80
Huss

Quote:
The Nikon L35 AW is waterproof down to 9 feet, has a cracker 35mm 2.8 lens, and is AF w/ mf override. Ruggedly made and quiet because the rubber seals and heavier casing muffles everything..
Just took my own advice and picked one up! Another plus is you manually turn on the flash and it uses AA batteries.